49ers to a man say they knew what the Bills were going to do on offense, were not surprised but were helpless to stop them

Big Turk

Funny that Greenlaw made that comment. He's meant to be one of the ascending young and rangy modern day LBs in the NFL and unless I missed it, I didn't see his name mentioned in connection with one good play in this game. Singletary beating him to the outside on 4th and short is the main play that comes to mind. 

Warner is still an absolute monster, but we did such a good job playing keep away from him. 

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't what game Sherman was watching where San Fran got lots of pressure on Josh? The game was won by the Bills offensive line keeping Josh clean for the most part. And if they all knew everything the Bills were running why were McKenzie and Davis wide open for their touchdowns?

Allen has become quite good at buying time in the pocket and beyond.  There were lots of plays where he was adeptly moving around and especially escaping pressure rolling right.  He becomes deadly.  So I think Sherman is mostly right, they did get pressure on him, but Allen just handles it until he finds someone.  I haven't seen any Next Gen Stats on average time to throw, but Allen has to be near the top of the league in longest time to throw.  

2 minutes ago, cage said:

Allen has become quite good at buying time in the pocket and beyond.  There were lots of plays where he was adeptly moving around and especially escaping pressure rolling right.  He becomes deadly.  So I think Sherman is mostly right, they did get pressure on him, but Allen just handles it until he finds someone.  I haven't seen any Next Gen Stats on average time to throw, but Allen has to be near the top of the league in longest time to throw.  

I'm not sure they did. There were a few plays where they moved him off his spot I suppose... but that isn't pressure. Pressure is rushing his process and the number of times they did that all night was countable on one hand. Our line knows how to block guys in such a way where even when they don't win initially they can keep rushers off Allen.

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

There were plenty of throws short of the sticks.  Diggs averaged 9.2 yards per catch.  Few targets for RBs.  A shovel pass!  

Diggs had a sneaky good game though.  He had 6 first downs (maybe not too surprising considering the 9 ypr)!  Lots of them critical in the second half too.

8 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I have to give credit to Sherman. The others gave somewhat muted or qualified praise for Allen and the Bills. He's the only one who just came out and said how amazing Josh played.

Shanahan basically said they would have needed to score pretty much every drive and it felt like last years New Orleans game where they ended up winning 48-46

Josh had monster , raw physical talent coming out of college, but it took courage to project him as a franchise QB because of his accuracy issues. The thing that convinced Beane was his burning desire to improve and lead,  which came out in the interview process. Now you see a supremely confident, highly efficient , physically imposing freak, that teammates will run through a wall for. He hasn't won anything yet, but for long suffering Bills fans, it's nice to know this guy gives us a chance to win it all for the foreseeable future. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They didn't "let" it happen...they were helpless to stop it. Allen was too good last night.  I don't think there are many teams in the NFL that would have had much success against him yesterday.

Josh played an amazing game, I think Daboll also had his best game of the season in terms of playcalling and design.  The TD pass to McKenzie was a perfect example.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/highlights

• Like (+1) 3

Good teams and good offenses dont have to be revolutionary.  Offense execution beats good defense.  The k gun was what 5 plays?  Good pass plays have beaters for differant coverages.  Man go here, zone go here.  Allen last night could tell the defense the play and it wouldnt have mattered.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I counted 2 four man rushes that got any kind of pressure. There were a couple of blitzes that did... including our last play from scrimmage that wasn't a kneel but when they rushed 4 and played zone Josh picked them apart and when they sent extra guys and tried to man up Josh just threw it to Stef and then laughed as they tried to cover him 1on1 or threw it to McKenzie who was wide open for a touchdown. 

Team have stopped, or at least slowed down, the Bills passing game, but it's obvious that the Bills are now presenting some serious challenges to pass defenses.  

The Bills are pretty much forcing everyone to play zone against them.  When Brown is on the field, they present difficult matchups, and even without Brown, Diggs, Beasley, and Davis are a pretty serious group.  Beasley and Davis get deep well enough to complement Diggs, and Beasley and Diggs get separation against everyone but the best - Davis doesn't get separation, but he's one of those open-when-he's-covered guys.  On top of that, playing man creates those running lanes for Allen where he just takes 15-20 yards because it's there.   And to make matters worse, Allen's had great success against the blitz.   If you blitz, you're forced into man-to-man, which is where you don't want to be.  And if you're in man and blitz and Allen breaks the containment, those 15-20 yard gains can become 30-40 yard gains.   

So the Bills know they're going to see a lot of zone.  And they're getting better and better at attacking it.  And Allen is getting better at recognizing when the defense tries to change it up and go man.  

It's just becoming a first-rate passing attack.  

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

This is the really great takeaway from the game...the 49ers knew exactly what the Bills were going to do, but were helpless to stop it.  They were a very good defense, 4th ranked against the pass and the Bills just manhandled them the entire game. It wasn't even a fair fight...it looked like Allen was a high schooler playing with his 5 year old little brother and his friends and whooping on them.

Shanahan:

"Obviously it didn’t work out well. We did blitz sometimes. When I get back to the hotel in a second, I’ll find out how much. When we did blitz, he got away from it and made some big plays. When we didn’t, he just dinked and dunked it and got after us too. Our defense has been carrying us all year. They were up against a big challenge today and we didn’t play our best on D. That’s why we had to offense and special teams. It was going to be one of those type of games that was going to be a shootout. We had a chance to do it on offense and make this game similar to how New Orleans was last year (48-46 win last December). It just got away from us.”

Sorry, Shanny. This wasn’t a shootout. This game was never close. Any closing of the score gap came in garbage time. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't what game Sherman was watching where San Fran got lots of pressure on Josh? The game was won by the Bills offensive line keeping Josh clean for the most part. And if they all knew everything the Bills were running why were McKenzie and Davis wide open for their touchdowns?

yeah it seemed like he had a clean pocket quite a bit.

This is the really great takeaway from the game...the 49ers knew exactly what the Bills were going to do, but were helpless to stop it.  They were a very good defense, 4th ranked against the pass and the Bills just manhandled them the entire game. It wasn't even a fair fight...it looked like Allen was a high schooler playing with his 5 year old little brother and his friends and whooping on them.

Shanahan:

"Obviously it didn’t work out well. We did blitz sometimes. When I get back to the hotel in a second, I’ll find out how much. When we did blitz, he got away from it and made some big plays. When we didn’t, he just dinked and dunked it and got after us too. Our defense has been carrying us all year. They were up against a big challenge today and we didn’t play our best on D. That’s why we had to offense and special teams. It was going to be one of those type of games that was going to be a shootout. We had a chance to do it on offense and make this game similar to how New Orleans was last year (48-46 win last December). It just got away from us.”

Dre Greenlaw:

“I think that’s probably the worst part, we knew exactly what they were running just from head to toe, and we just came up short,” Greenlaw said. “It’s kind of a weird feeling. We knew exactly what they were running.” 

Fred Warner:

"He for sure had probably one of his best games. We knew about the arm talent and the escapability to be able to extend plays, and he showed that off today. So hats off to him. We obviously needed to play better on defense to win that game."

Richard Sherman:

"He was in good control of the game. He didn't pass up any easy looks. He didn't take any risky throws. The D-Line was doing everything they could and put a lot of pressure on him but he did a great job of evading and extending plays. You extend plays for four or five seconds and the coverage usually breaks down regardless of what you're in. So you've got to give him credit, man. He played a freaking fantastic game."

Yup! Imposing our will on an opponent feels awesome. It must’ve been so frustrating for the Niners defense.

Love it!

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Shanahan basically said they would have needed to score pretty much every drive and it felt like last years New Orleans game where they ended up winning 48-46

He also said the "I'm not taking anything away from them but" 

The 49ers fan who called in  in this clip sums up the game a little more accurately

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think he said they were...he said they did everything they could to do it...I interpreted it as him saying they tried their hardest and were not successful.

That was Moss who coughed it up, BTW.

Actually, I think Josh got charged w the fumble....Moss never had possession, so you can't charge him.  Bad exchange...ball hit Moss forearm.  I don't know whose fault that is, but, whatever.

2 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Actually, I think Josh got charged w the fumble....Moss never had possession, so you can't charge him.  Bad exchange...ball hit Moss forearm.  I don't know whose fault that is, but, whatever.

Moss closed his grasp before the ball got there.  100% on Moss.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

The announcers said it was on Moss who got a little nervous...they said RBs are taught to never clamp down on the ball until they feel it hit their gut, and Moss clamped on it way too early on that play.  

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I don't think he said they were...he said they did everything they could to do it...I interpreted it as him saying they tried their hardest and were not successful.

That was Moss who coughed it up, BTW.

Thanks - I do stand corrected on that...total brain fart there......hope it didn't stink too bad! 😔

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They did force him out of the pocket a fair amount, but he just calmly slide to the side and threw from there.   Could consider that as pressure, just wasn't very effective.  Half the QB's in the league that would work against.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

They did force him out of the pocket a fair amount, but he just calmly slide to the side and threw from there.   Could consider that as pressure, just wasn't very effective.  Half the QB's in the league that would work against.

The throw where Allen climbed the pocket and weaved around 4 defenders before calmly flicking the ball to Diggs was just pure magic.  And he makes it look so easy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Didnt look like they knew what McKenzie was doing on his touchdown.  Also didnt look like they knew what they were going to do on the Davis touchdown.

Not a fan of the 49ers, a lot of ego from the coaching staff on down.

I was gonna post this exact thing pretty much word for word.

The niners are just annoying.  Im surprised they havent blamed it on Jimmy G being out even though Mullens is a better qb anyway.

The score wasn't really an accurate representation of the game. We crushed those guys, one punt the entire game.   See ya next year niners.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

You wanted them to play man against Allen last night?  It might have been worse than it was. Allen and Mahomes are the only 2 QBs in the NFL with an 80+ QBR against both man and zone coverages.  It's not like that was going to help much.  Oh yeah, Allen also has one of the highest QB Ratings in the NFL against the blitz as well, so it would have looked like the Seahawk game if they tried that.

They had to pick their poison and find a way to keep up they didn't.

Dre Greenlaw:

“I think that’s probably the worst part, we knew exactly what they were running just from head to toe, and we just came up short,” Greenlaw said. “It’s kind of a weird feeling. We knew exactly what they were running.” 

Reminds me of I think Tony Gungy who preached to get your basics down like linemen being that fraction of a second faster to react to a snap, receivers making the cuts in their routes that tiny bit sharper, being that tiny bit better at seeing white knuckles on a D-lineman giving away a blitz, that you can tell them what play you are running and they won't be able to stop it.

6 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Josh was 32/40 for 375 yards and 4 scores.

I can only imagine how much worse it would have been for the 49ers if they DIDNT know what the Bills were doing.

100% comp ratio

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger 

13 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yes but if they knew what was coming why did they let it happen I guess.  Maybe im biased because of all the fawning over Saleh this week but Dabs out coached him imo.

Yeah Shanny showed his arrogance and hubris postgame. Basically felt it would be shoot out and they had to match but left/missed a few on O. As in his QB and O didn’t execute his great plays and game plan. Bills were dominant and score wasn’t reflective of just how they blasted the physical 49ers.

Daboll was playing chess and Saleh checkers while checking his look 👀 in the mirror getting ready for his interviews. 

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I think we take for granted how easily Josh evades pressure. There had to be five plays in the first half alone that the Niners got quick strong pressure, Josh just avoided it and rolled out and then threw a pass for a completion. Once he threw it away. He got great protection in the second half. 

Agree his footwork either stepping up in pocket or out as needed has made him special. Brady made his career out of stepping up or slight slide to free himself. Josh doing that makes him really next level as it’s his brain and body on same page. Unreal. 

11 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

It was charged to Allen because of the rules. But it was 100% Moss's fault. And I'm sure Moss would be the first person to tell you that.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Back in the Superbowl days, that's what opponents (and some of the Bills) used to say - "they knew exactly what we were going to do, and they couldn't stop it"

The 90s Bills ran the counter trey over and over for like 6 straight years. Everyone knew it was coming, but with our O-line and the ball in Thurman's hands, no one could stop it. It's the ultimate taunt really. Like when Larry Bird would tell a defender the exact spot on the court where he was going to hit a game winner from, over that player, and then he would go out and do exactly that. It's demoralizing to the opponent to know what is coming and not be able to do a damn thing about it..

• Like (+1) 1