Would You Want Ryan Fitzpatrick Back in Buffalo in 2021?

JohnNord

I came across this on Twitter:

Based on Josh’s injury last week and the heartbreaking injury to Dak, how would you feel about Fitzpatrick coming back to Buffalo in 2021 to end his career as a Bill?  By next season Josh should be solidified as the unquestioned starter, so I don’t feel Fitzpatrick would be a threat, especially since Josh and Fitz seem to be friendly.  I also think he’d be an excellent  teacher to help Josh continue to get better.

On the other hand, the cap hit for Fitz would ($7-$8M) would be considerably higher than what we are paying the 2 QB’s on the roster combined.  With a monster deal for Allen on the horizon, as well as potential contract extensions for Milano and maybe Edmunds, the cap situation could get tight and the team may not want to invest that much in a QB.

The other question, is whether Fitz would want to come Buffalo, where he wouldn’t be given a chance to compete?  Or would he look for a better situation behind a QB on shaky ground?

You might also argue that Josh doesn’t need Fitzpatrick around as a mentor and could get by with a backup like Barkley.

Either way, as a fan of Fitzpatrick, I would love to see him finish out his career in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Fitz turns 38 this year, so he does arguably have some tread left on the tire. I want him back in Buffalo when he's ready for the broadcast booth. I think he'd be an awesome TV guy for the wardrobe alone.

THIS!!!!  No way do I see the Bills pulling the feelgood fanboy illogical move of bringing Fitz to sit behind Josh.....agreed that the thought of Barkley trotting out on the field does give me nightmares but the thought of paying Firtz when there are going to be many mouths, younger and more deserving mouths to feed.....uhhhhh I'll pass.

Go Bills!!

2 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

THIS!!!!  No way do I see the Bills pulling the feelgood fanboy illogical move of bringing Fitz to sit behind Josh.....agreed that the thought of Barkley trotting out on the field does give me nightmares but the thought of paying Firtz when there are going to be many mouths, younger and more deserving mouths to feed.....uhhhhh I'll pass.

Go Bills!!

I would agree... the only counter about paying that salary to the backup is what happened to Dak last night.  Dallas has several big contracts on the cap and still managed to pay Andy Dalton $7M to backup Dak.  It’s insurance - There was a good chance he wouldn’t play as Dak has never been injured.  But now, he appears to a be a QB that will keep them in the terrible NFC East division race.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’m a huge Fitz fan, but be it coincidence or not, the guy he’s there to back up seems to get hurt an awful lot and we don’t need that, so purely out of caution, he’s not welcome here. 

That said, he’s awesome, I would absolutely love to have him back and he’s one of the best back ups maybe ever, say nothing about right now.  From a talent stand point, you definitely want him.    I guess I’m probably in the minority, but I’d see what Fromm has before getting too concerned.  You can’t replace what Allen is doing, so any serious injury, it’s season over anyway.  It’s always the hope, nothing happens to JA.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I came across this on Twitter:

Based on Josh’s injury last week and the heartbreaking injury to Dak, how would you feel about Fitzpatrick coming back to Buffalo in 2021 to end his career as a Bill?  By next season Josh should be solidified as the unquestioned starter, so I don’t feel Fitzpatrick would be a threat, especially since Josh and Fitz seem to be friendly.  I also think he’d be an excellent  teacher to help Josh continue to get better.

On the other hand, the cap hit for Fitz would ($7-$8M) would be considerably higher than what we are paying the 2 QB’s on the roster combined.  With a monster deal for Allen on the horizon, as well as potential contract extensions for Milano and maybe Edmunds, the cap situation could get tight and the team may not want to invest that much in a QB.

The other question, is whether Fitz would want to come Buffalo, where he wouldn’t be given a chance to compete?  Or would he look for a better situation behind a QB on shaky ground?

You might also argue that Josh doesn’t need Fitzpatrick around as a mentor and could get by with a backup like Barkley.

Either way, as a fan of Fitzpatrick, I would love to see him finish out his career in Buffalo.

TBH, while I don't want to be Superstitious (only a Little Stitious), Fitz has this horrible track record of winding up as the starting QB everywhere he goes.  And he's so confident and likeable that apparently it's very hard to sit him and let the rightful starter back in especially if said guy was struggling - and for various reasons, even great QB struggle from time to time.

I think Fitz is a great guy and when he's hot, he can be hard to beat.  But I'd rather take our chances with a lesser backup QB rather than lite Ryan "Jinx the Starter" Fitzpatrick back in our building.

50 minutes ago, ocemur said:

Fitz turns 38 this year, so he does arguably have some tread left on the tire. I want him back in Buffalo when he's ready for the broadcast booth. I think he'd be an awesome TV guy for the wardrobe alone.

I love him and I love your idea, but I just don't think it is going to happen.

He has made ( and will continue to make in the foreseeable future) more than $70,000,000 playing football.  I am sure he is quite comfortable and although I believe he will work I don't think he really needs a "job" or next career, per say.

He might do some commentary and may be back for events, but I just think if he does anything he is going to do it out West or down South, on his terms because he can afford it.

EDIT: 

Yeah, $71,541,098 in his career, $8 million this year and he is guaranteed to get that somewhere next year, as well.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

48 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I want him to sign a contract with the Bills this offseason.

A one day contract, so he can retire a Bill.

Then go into the HALL OF FAME as a Bill.

Oh! Oh! OH! FITZMAGIC!

Well he did win AFC Player of the Month (September 2011) for the Bills, so he is a potential Hall of Famer...

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

TBH, while I don't want to be Superstitious (only a Little Stitious), Fitz has this horrible track record of winding up as the starting QB everywhere he goes.  And he's so confident and likeable that apparently it's very hard to sit him and let the rightful starter back in especially if said guy was struggling - and for various reasons, even great QB struggle from time to time.

I think Fitz is a great guy and when he's hot, he can be hard to beat.  But I'd rather take our chances with a lesser backup QB rather than lite Ryan "Jinx the Starter" Fitzpatrick back in our building.

Hap basically everything you said it's just superstition

fitz plays because he goes to teams with mediocre quarterbacks and he can beat them out. He would be a tremendous backup and a hundred times better than Berkley or fromm

What rightful starter has he ever taken the job from and never given it back?  Even Winston got his job back

Fitz would be a great asset to our quarterback room