Chris Brown suspended [Mod edited] from all Bills platforms

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Your still not getting it, they are employees that have restrictions on what they are allowed to talk to the public about concerning their employers company, it is that cut and dry.

Of course there are rules.  This is akin to getting your car impounded for going 66 mph in a 65 mph zone, though.  At some point, common sense should be applied.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

oy, nevermind..

Okay 

The punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Brown is the biggest cheerleader for the Bills in the "media", if you want to call a team-employed beat reporter a member of the media.  Unless this was a repeated thing, where he was told to knock it off and he kept doing it anyway, this is a gross overreaction on the part of the organization.  He's been doing this gig for years to rave reviews from his employer, and now with the new rules he has to adjust.  Adjusting after 20 years is hard and mistakes like this are bound to happen... and they are hardly major mistakes.

McD started Peterman how many times?  And the team kept Peterman for how long after these repeated mistakes?  That was a much bigger mistake than this... and I didn't see any suspensions coming from that, and rightly so.  Mistakes happen.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'll post that part

Brown’s last day at Bills practice was Aug. 17, when he apparently violated the new policy for reporting on practices. Enforcement of the policy has varied from team to team.

The 2020 media policy forbids reporting on game strategy, snap counts and with which units players are working out. The guidelines were revamped for competitive reasons, with the public unable to attend camp sessions and no preseason games being played.

The Bills seemingly prefer to keep practice developments as proprietary as possible.

General manager Brandon Beane on Wednesday suggested the Bills view anything that happens at practice to be valuable information the other 31 teams can use. Beane, in an interview with SiriusXM NFL Radio, said the Bills have their scouts mine media Twitter accounts for updates on players around the league.

The Bills distributed their 2020 media policy to reporters Aug. 16. Shortly after “One Bills Live” began at noon the next day, Brown discussed what he noticed from the first practice with co-host Steve Tasker.

Brown: “At least today, (rookie defensive end A.J. Epenesa) was lining up on the left side. In college, he was mostly on the right his senior year.”

Tasker: “Defensive left?”

Brown: “Yeah, so he was on defensive left today, primarily with the second team. It was Jerry (Hughes) and Trent (Murphy), and then the second group was A.J. and (Mario) Addison.”

Brown: “Here’s the interesting thing. The two rookie receivers we’ve talked about and the veteran receivers we have talked about, we had John Brown on the air last week, saying, ‘These two rookie receivers know our playbook better than any rookie receivers I’ve ever been around.’ They’re getting rewarded for that. At least today, they were rotating in with the starters. You have your top three, and then they roll in the next three. They’re two of the next three.”

Tasker: “Who is the other third?”

Brown: “I’m trying to think off the top of my head. It was rotating a bit. I know Robert Foster was out there once. Andre Roberts was out there once. But those two kids were rolling in. They didn’t make a ton of plays. Hodgins had a couple of catches, a nice 20-yard reception. But those two kids were rolling in, something to keep an eye on going forward.”

Brown: “As Coach McDermott told us in a Zoom call last week, Cody Ford would work at both guard and tackle, and that proved to be the case today.”

Tasker: “Who was around him?”

Brown: “Mitch Morse is the staple at the pivot. We know that. And Daryl Williams was the right tackle with him when (Ford) was playing guard, and then when (Ford) would switch and play tackle, he would have Brian Winters next to him. So he was flipping back and forth. You kind of wonder … I’m sure that how Cody plays at both of those positions will ultimately help determine where he winds up. But I think it’s also predicated, Steve, on who’s quickest on the uptick in terms of blending in with those four returning players. Does Winters work better or does Williams work better?”

Those “One Bills Live” exchanges have been scrubbed from WGR’s online audio.

Brown was absent from practice the rest of the week and disappeared from his radio show by Friday. He apparently has not logged into the 12 media video conferences the Bills have held over that time.

Well if you are going to do it you may as well go all in ?

What was he thinking

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

What is he supposed to talk about? Which players have the worst jock itch?   

BBJM! (Bring Back John Murphy)

Time to revive Itchy (Murphy) and Scratchy (Tasker)?

1 hour ago, Helpmenow said:

Now is the time for all you experts to send in your resume. Let’s all hear you stumble on yourselves 

Rotating staff.  I'll need HOUSE as my 'audiovisual captain'!  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

I have been banned from the Ralph for something like 10 years actually.Years ago I got a few free tickets from some friends of the family in the family section for a Pats game. At half time I met a girl I was seeing in the causeway, grabbed a beer, but didn't finish it. I snuck it back into the family section. That lasted about 25 seconds, until a security guy came up asked me to follow him. Went to the security office, signed a paper, and left. I didn't think anything of it, nothing really happened. No scuffle, aggression, or argument. It was what it was. Go home with your tail between your legs. 

Anyways, a few weeks later I got a letter in the mail from the Bills. I was banned from the stadium until I took an NFL code of conduct course which is a couple hundred bucks and 4 hours along. Not just that, if you don't pass you have to pay again to do it all over. I called the Bills explained the situation, I even offered to volunteer with the clean up after the game or a charity event, etc.Seemed excessive given the crime. They said it was an NFL mandate, out of their hands at that point. I checked with a few friends in the DA's office, technically if I go back and get caught it is trespassing. A class C misdemeanor. About $100 dollar fine and expunged from my record in 6 months. They recommended not taking the course since 1. I have never had an issue before and I have been going to about 4 games per year for as long as I can remember. And 2. The charges for a class C misdemeanor or less of a cost and hassle than actually taking the course. I still go to 4 games per year. 

Long story short, Chris Brown, if you are reading this, do what I did, just keep showing up and bet on your own good behavior. 

I just checked the sex offender website... looks like you should've read that paper they made you sign!!!!:lol:

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Chris Brown goes rogue, WTF?!? :w00t:

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

2020, man

2020-as-a-meme-lede-1300x1471.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

5 hours ago, eball said:

Agreed, I was never a fan.  Besides just toeing the company line, his “interviews” were painful.  He’s the type of interviewer who asks a 5-minute question and answers it himself in the process.  Sort of glad he’s out.

I thought you were Chris Brown?

The Bills tried to similarly revamp their media coverage policy back when Whaley was GM during the 2016 off-season.  It was funny reading  the media describe practice without crossing the line.   For example, this is a verbatim Buscaglia tweet from 2016: "Cornerback Corey White caught a pass that was not intended for him during team drills."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/24/buffalo-bills-introduce-new-media-policy

My guess is this policy results from an ever-increasing NFL competitiveness where teams, as Beane alluded to, are looking for any advantage they can on opponents.  

It's also driven by the fans who demand coverage of everything in a way never seen before.  Media must produce more content, particularly analysis, to meet this need which means teams are left open to other teams gathering intelligence on them.  No one cared 30 years ago about practice, but the ever-increasing focus on pro sports has put us here now. 

I'm also confident McCoach is behind this, but truthfully, I can understand why. 

Edited by BillsVet

1 hour ago, sullim4 said:

Brown is the biggest cheerleader for the Bills in the "media", if you want to call a team-employed beat reporter a member of the media.  Unless this was a repeated thing, where he was told to knock it off and he kept doing it anyway, this is a gross overreaction on the part of the organization.  He's been doing this gig for years to rave reviews from his employer, and now with the new rules he has to adjust.  Adjusting after 20 years is hard and mistakes like this are bound to happen... and they are hardly major mistakes.

McD started Peterman how many times?  And the team kept Peterman for how long after these repeated mistakes?  That was a much bigger mistake than this... and I didn't see any suspensions coming from that, and rightly so.  Mistakes happen.

Everything is speculation right now. Nobody knows what really happened.

38 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

BBJM! (Bring Back John Murphy)

Time to revive Itchy (Murphy) and Scratchy (Tasker)?

Rotating staff.  I'll need HOUSE as my 'audiovisual captain'!  ?

I'll be assistant to the audiovisual captain who gets the locker room footage post shower and during shower...when we get McCaffrey in here it will consist mainly of him however:wub:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

This quote has troll written all over it.

Coach McD is not assistant GM.

Jerry Sullivan is saying on Twitter that McD once ripped Mathew Fairburn a new one in front of people, with curse words and at all, because of something he tweeted during preseason. Its wild that McD would even know what Fairburn is tweeting, but its not impossible that he is driving force here. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's strange, because that was the type of reporting that happened every training camp.

Who is lining up where? Who is getting first team reps? How do the rookies look?

It keeps sports media and fans talking about your team and building excitement for the season. Now you can't say anything except "they practiced this morning" and if you're too specific about that it's probably a no-no. 

I'm more worried about the marketing team quitting all at once. It seems like once again something is going on behind the scenes. 

The reporters talked about this in the scrimmage thread.  Years past - you had more flexibility about this because at training camp - there were tons of fans posting images, snap counts positions- everything - so the info was readily available.  The team could not limit the fans.

This year with no fans - they have refined the policy and tightened control - not just the Bills, but across the league.  Most teams have limited what can be discussed because the only info getting out is by a limited group of credentialed reporters.

They were all informed and given rules about what could and could not be discussed.  The rules also extend to something like today where because there was no stream - the reporters were not able to tweet until after the practice was complete.

2 hours ago, sullim4 said:

And therefore perhaps the easiest for the team to give a small punishment to and therefore reinforce the rules for the rest of the reporters.

I'm late to this thread, but I kinda find this a little ironic. I mean last year, anyone with a cell phone could go to training camp and video tape anythjng they wanted. Guess the bills are trying to use this pandemic to their advantage as much as possible. I don't blame them 

• Like (+1) 1

First no preseason games. Then no fans can attend regular season games. Now no substantive reporting of what happens at practice. The NFL is really doing a great job promoting their product during this pandemic. Maybe they can blackout the regular season games as a final step and just sell the replays after they’ve scrubbed them for anything interesting.

Edited by vincec
  • Haha (+1) 1

What a joke. If they fired a guy for saying players listed as backups on the depth chart are rotating with the second unit then shame on them.  I could give a rats ass about Chris Brown, but honestly who cares. Do you think there is a competitive disadvantage to saying the Bills rookies are rotating in the second string units?  No ***** Sherlock.  Everyone knows that.  Everyone knows there are only two spots on the the o-line up for grabs and Ford is playing one of them.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

I think you're very wrong. I recall listening to McDermott on Schopp & Bulldog, and you could just tell the way he answered questions that he was a very over the top control freak. This whole idea of clamping down on reporters concerning practices and labeling it a competative advantage issue is akin to the US gov't pulling the "matter of national security" card. It's cringy and eye-rolly. 

McDermott runs the ENTIRE show.

No playoffs 17 years.  Playoffs 2 out of 3 years.

He can do whatever he feels is necessary to win.  Ill glady give up someone telling me how great Martin Nance looks to have the team win and be in the playoffs every year.   Its not his job to entertain bored fans in August.  Its his job to win real football games.  

Edited by thenorthremembers

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But they were the rules..... he broke them. It was foolish. The rules are foolish, but he still breached them.

Chris Brown will be allowed to continue covering the Bills but under some severe restrictions. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=prisoner+hood&id=B9760E2E599C70917D80E004A705FE8E3A309533&form=IQFRBA&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

• Haha (+1) 2

22 hours ago, eball said:

I mean, come on.  That exchange with Tasker was as blatant a violation of the reporting rules as you could ask for.  Just stupidity on the part of Brown.

Debate all you want whether NFL teams are going overboard with this, but the policy can’t be more clear.

it’s not like he is some loose cannon... the timing is so abrupt, I wonder if they didn’t effectively educate him on the modified policy so he didn’t know?

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

Chris Brown will be allowed to continue covering the Bills but under some severe restrictions. 

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=prisoner+hood&id=B9760E2E599C70917D80E004A705FE8E3A309533&form=IQFRBA&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover

You :censored: !!!   You low down stinking :censored:   :lol: 

Dummy me didn't read the link.  

13 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Company guy....sure....one of the best reporters...not so much.

Maybe that was a poor choice of words. I'll say this though - of all of the "beat" reporters, I've always enjoyed listening to Brownie because he goes in depth about scheme, etc.(which is actually what got him in trouble here) - He never (before there was this new rule) spoke in vanilla generalizations, i.e. "Levi Wallace looked great" - he would break down where the player played, what type of coverages they were running, etc. And it wasn't necessarily in practice - I enjoyed listening to him on OBL during the season because I thought he did a good job of breaking things down for someone who may not understand the super technical stuff. 

I'd take a Chris Brown over a Rodak, Louis-Jacques, or Sully any day of the week.

• Like (+1) 2