Would YOU pay for a ‘Bills Network’?

6 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Here’s something that’s crossed my mind many times. We have NFL Network, Yankees Network, etc.

Would any of you pay for a subscription to gain access to a huge library of games, podcasts, interviews, and shows from NY’s only football team?

I would in a heart beat.

Just bring back Empire. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You don't want people just faceless names on a page?

So do you ever share your opinions? Presumably you do. But they shouldn't be allowed to share theirs because they have a heightened platform?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

You don't want people just faceless names on a page?

So do you ever share your opinions? Presumably you do. But they shouldn't be allowed to share theirs because they have a heightened platform?

I cant discuss my political/personal views in my workplace, while using the benefits of that workplace as a megaphone. 

Also, they can choose to share them on the teams dime. And, I can choose to tune out. Does my freedom to spend my resources as I choose offend you?

Edited by Sig1Hunter

17 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

I cant discuss my political/personal views in my workplace, while using the benefits of that workplace as a megaphone. 

Also, they can choose to share them on the teams dime. And, I can choose to tune out. Does my freedom to spend my resources as I choose offend you?

No but you have to grant them the same right. Just because their workplace offers a platform and an opportunity that you don't have should not deter them from using it. Otherwise what you are doing is saying because you are in a form of entertainment it restricts your other rights in case the audience for that entertainment agrees with you. We don't all have equal platforms. But we do all have equal right to use them.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No but you have to grant them the same right. Just because their workplace offers a platform and an opportunity that you don't have should not deter them from using it. Otherwise what you are doing is saying because you are in a form of entertainment it restricts your other rights in case the audience for that entertainment agrees with you. We don't all have equal platforms. But we do all have equal right to use them.

How am I restricting them? By saying I disagree, and therefore choosing to not spend money on the product that is espousing a message that I disagree with? 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

I know I will get slaughtered here for saying this but I am really struggling with should I watch or not.

I did my career in Law Enforcement and I really don't want to tune in to have the NFL tell me I'm a scumbag.

I don’t blame you at all.  

I’m someone who is fine with athletes speaking up, I understand the kneeling and truly appreciate “some” of the activism going on in the NBA Bubble.  

That said, the networks, specifically ESPN, took it way too far.. To the point where, even I, started tuning out. 

They’ve toned it down a lot recently, but still, when the announcer in the Rockets/Thunder game right now randomly goes on a Breonna Taylor rant, I’m kind of over it... even if I think we need to examine no-knock warrants and understand the anger behind what happened. 

When they start losing people like myself, I can’t imagine what someone who’s in law enforcement must feel like. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Here’s something that’s crossed my mind many times. We have NFL Network, Yankees Network, etc.

Would any of you pay for a subscription to gain access to a huge library of games, podcasts, interviews, and shows from NY’s only football team?

I would in a heart beat.

lol no. NFLN, Yes, SNY etc. have rights to broadcast LIVE GAMES. Any “bills network” would not. Unless you think the networks would just happily allow some team-owned dinky startup to simulcast games out of the goodness of their hearts after shelling out dump trucks of cash to the league for rights. And sorry I’m not much for pointless nostalgia; I don’t need to watch the comeback game 400 times.

Youse guys wanna gripe about the “woke” generation, welp, that’s the key demographic for all of these pro sports.

They don’t care about cranky cops tuning out, and it ain’t even about the politics. It’s allllll about marketing and that sweet sweet cash.

You think the main PR/marketing depts for these leagues haven’t weighed pros/cons from every angle and determined what percentage of viewers(read: consumers/spenders) they can afford to lose vs. the ones they will keep? And they’ve certainly factored in that a 20-something has 40+ more years of spending on their product vs. a 60-something who’s got maybe half of that left.

My unsolicited advice? It only bothers you if you let it. So watch the game and enjoy the football, and know that the only “cause” the NFL cares about is the dollar.

Oh, sorry OP. Put me down for a “no”. I ain’t payin for a Bills Network.

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I would in a heart beat.

I think many would consider at the right price.

i think unfortunately no matter how big the slice is, the pie will be too small to start with 

45 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Youse guys wanna gripe about the “woke” generation, welp, that’s the key demographic for all of these pro sports.

They don’t care about cranky cops tuning out, and it ain’t even about the politics. It’s allllll about marketing and that sweet sweet cash.

You think the main PR/marketing depts for these leagues haven’t weighed pros/cons from every angle and determined what percentage of viewers(read: consumers/spenders) they can afford to lose vs. the ones they will keep? And they’ve certainly factored in that a 20-something has 40+ more years of spending on their product vs. a 60-something who’s got maybe half of that left.

My unsolicited advice? It only bothers you if you let it. So watch the game and enjoy the football, and know that the only “cause” the NFL cares about is the dollar.

Oh, sorry OP. Put me down for a “no”. I ain’t payin for a Bills Network.

NFL has a different audience than the NBA, and even the NBA has toned the activism down... a lot.

Maybe it’s just a coincidence that it coincides with horrible ratings, but I’ve been watching the bubble games, and as soon as that data came out, it’s been noticeably different telecasts. 

6 hours ago, brianthomas said:

even if WE would pay for it (which i wouldnt), there wouldnt be enough other people to fund a Bills Only channel to make it viable or sustain it. We're not the Yankees for instance who can pull upon a much larger audience.

We've had local sports networks in the past, but subsidized & paid for by Adelphia Communications. Now if PSE wanted to spend some of that oil money on a network, they very well could do that. However outside of them, I don't see it as possible.

In todays day & age it'd be easier to have a Bills Network channel on Youtube. If that ever became popular enough to warrant something more substantial then so be it.

Right now the market for live sports appears to be tanking. So I think your point about it not being viable is not just correct now but forever unless the Sunday ticket comes with it 

1 hour ago, Sig1Hunter said:

How am I restricting them? By saying I disagree, and therefore choosing to not spend money on the product that is espousing a message that I disagree with? 

Honestly, more power to you. Even if I think it’s dumb, I think you are well within your rights!

I upgraded for ACC Network, even though Syracuse is wildly mediocre so it’s nonstop Clemson Football and UNC/Duke Basketball content, so, I’m quite confident I’d pay up for a Bills network - especially since I’m actually high on the future of our team.  

We also have a strong culture and like-able personalities.  That leads to some good network content. 

Lived in Seattle 86-03.  Had Direct TV, and for an extra $5 a month I bought a sports package that was the old Empire Sports Network.  Had it to watch the Sabres.  At that time, Direct TV also had "local" Vancouver stations, including CBC, for even more hockey.  So, yes I would consider paying for an equivalent product, assuming S Virginia availability. 

8 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

If that is all you are doing that is your choice. Once you get into "I can't make political statements and my work so they shouldn't make them at theirs" then yes you are seeking to restrict them. If your position is they are free to make whatever statement they like but if they make one I disagree with I will take my business elsewhere then fair enough. Though it feels rather petty.

21 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Heck YES, I would! I've purchased two antennas for the TV I inherited (I haven't owned a television since I gave away my 13" TV/VCR combo in 2004), and NEITHER of them can pick up channel 8 in Rochester. Channel 8 is 2 miles from my house. It's in the same location as channels 10 and 13, which I get just fine... The only reason I didn't throw out the inherited TV was in the faint, and misguided hope, that someday, I could watch Bills games from my house...

I should have expected this... I'm a Bills fan. Anything that can possibly--or and especially impossibly--go wrong, can, and will. Inevitable.

That's interesting because I get channel 8 crystal clear but cannot get 10 or 13 at all.  It must depend on where we both live and the direction to the antennas.  

To answer the OP's question.  No I would not.  Only hard core fans would, and IMO there aren't enough of those to make such a network feasible.  Even YES has mainly non yankees stuff, such as Manchester United (I believe or is it Chelsea) premier league soccer games. Plus the existing NFL contracts with TV and DirectTV would preclude such a network broadcasting Bills games live.  YES does broadcast Yankees games live.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Sad 1

I'm not sure why this can't be done today in a way that is at least 'more affordable' than it would have been even a few years ago.

Content is there,...sure a lot of it would repeat to fill a 24 hour network, but you can find content.

It doesn't have to be a traditional Cable TV channel also. It can be an 'app'. Look at Roku TV, Apple TV...Samsungs collection of 'television apps'.  That has to be a lot cheaper than what it would cost to put it on traditional Cable TV.

Bills network as being produced by the Bills themselves? If that's the case

probably not as it would likely be similar to One Bills Live which is terrible. 

If it's a third party with good production value and good knowledgeable hosts I would consider it.

No.  I would not pay for a Bills channel.  Other than games (which I already get) there’s not much of value to be shown.  They’d never do real breakdown and analysis of the team, games, etc.  It would just be access to old games and fluff.  I do not care what any player’s home looks like or what they drive.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/22/2020 at 1:51 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

What does this mean? 

I think he means he dosen't want/care about seeing the players houses, dog training tips, or other non-football stuff.  I'd like it to be 100% football also (replays of games, how players prepare for camp, what they eat, inside access on the football aspect of the game).  Even some youth coaching tips (catching w/ Diggs, etc.)  

• Like (+1) 1

Probably would be prohibitively expensive with the cost divided just among Bills fans.  Anyway to do something along the lines of the old Empire Sports Network?  Maybe get some personalities the way Paul Maguire was on ESN.  Would Smerlas be willing to do some show and could we bear him if he could not get off of his Pats love?  Tasker?  Ray Bentley?  Would Wade P be willing to do a show?  Harder than it looks when considering you need an engaging personality, knowledgeable, and unflappable (does not get bothered by negative people).  I think this would have to be load shared with the Sabres, Amerks, Triple A Baseball, College Football including Cornell, Section 5, 6 high school sports.  

23 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t mean to derail this or to be antagonistic. It’s an honest question that I’m asking and not just of you. It’s something that I’ve been wondering. We have seen ratings down for the NBA playoffs. There are a bunch of factors but I’m sure that politicalization of the league is a part. 

There are a lot of people here that share your view of this. If/when the Bills kneel during the anthem will you tune out? If they are 3-7 will that be the jumping off point? If they are 7-3 will you be willing to continue? Will you watch regardless because, as you said, you like to watch football? This question is open to anyone. It is something that I’m genuinely interested in hearing from people because I don’t know what it would take for me to quit the Bills. It’s really, “where is your line?” 

I used to be a HUGE NBA fan , I haven’t watched a single game this season and pretty much done with the NBA ...

As far as the Bills go and kneeling during the anthem I guess I could go outside and have a cigarette and come back for a kickoff yaaaaaah Go Bills baby !!!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I vote YES.

Plusses:

-a la carte content.  Unlike cable tv where I pay for 300 channels and only watch 5 of them.

-all day, every day

-I can watch in any screen any time.

Requirements:

-It must not be even subconsciously political

-It must be recordable

-It should hopefully include lots of the Bills podcasts and articles by third parties.  If its only OBD content than it will begin to feel like I'm paying for the privilege of watching Bills commercials.  This would increase the reach and audience of lots of the 3p Bills content providers by aggregating them in one place.  I'll pay for that.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I would in a heart beat.

If it gave me all games and some of the locally run stuff like interviews etc. I would be all over it. 

On 8/22/2020 at 1:57 PM, Logic said:

If the content was of high quality and there was enough of it to justify the cost...then yes, absolutely.

One thing that would make me almost certain to fork over the dough is if they regularly showed old Bills games from the archives.

Me too.

Also put the shortcut 30 min version of every game they play in an easy searchable index.   

NFL is so behind the times with this stuff its a joke.  They need a bright young tech savvy Commish instead of bloated ol' Roger with no personality walking around spewing about how everyone needs billion dollar stadiums.

The shortcut versions of games are so great but vastly under-promoted.  Showing each play which takes 3-10 seconds each

you can watch an entire regular season in a day.  

Between NFLN, One Bills Live, this board, NFLR, and Sal’s, the point after during the season, that’s enough.  Besides if you don’t live in WNY, you wouldn’t be able to get it anyway.  If the Bills put it together, it would just be fluff anyway.  I’m sure for those living there, they probably have a special on Saturday evenings during the season, as they do in most cities.  I know Tampa does something on the Bucs during the season.  Lastly, even though it’s NFLR, on Saturdays, they have Press Coverage with Vic Carruci and Dan Leberfeld.  Now they cover all of the NFL, but are heavy on the Bills and Jets given these guys cover their respective teams.

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This. If the NFL would consider changing its distribution model and let fans subscribe to a team(s) And it’s games it might bring a lot of favorable change and revenue.  

Exactly. I don't give a hot damn about some rando bengals/cardinals game.