Week 17: Jets at Bills

YoloinOhio

On the radio with Vic C this morning he doesn't expect the starters to play much this week. Game means nothing in the standings or playoff seeding, and risking putting the starters out there against a Greg Williams defence that is always walking the line of cheap/dirty may not end well with one team out and the other in the the playoffs.

I don't know if it happens though, McDermott doesn't seem like the kind of guy willing to concede a game by sitting the starters, he seems like the kinda guy who would want them to play.

..if McDermott is the offensive impediment, give the unfettered reigns to Daboll and as they say in Mizzou, "show me"......11-5 vs 10-6 is pride only..........need to know what we have (or have NOT) in an innovative OC going into 2020 or shopping for a replacement.....stay tuned..............

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..if McDermott is the offensive impediment, give the unfettered reigns to Daboll and as they say in Mizzou, "show me"......11-5 vs 10-6 is pride only..........need to know what we have (or have NOT) in an innovative OC going into 2020 or shopping for a replacement.....stay tuned..............

Daboll is only going to be replaced if he leaves to take a HC position. They won't be shopping for a new OC this offseason. The only people thinking he isn't doing a good job are Bills fans.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

No rest for starters. Need too much work on screens and beating blitz. Jets are a great test.

Young , flawed QB still needs work.

This year is about changing culture, how valuable that is, and what it means going forward. That means you dont take the foot off the pedal.

Id consider, however, a few personel moves like Duke active or working in Yeldon. 

• Like (+1) 1

A stress free game to end the season.  Hoping to find a way maybe to be at the game.  Rest Gore, Lorax, and other key vets.  Josh and a fair number of other offensive players get a couple series to play then backups the rest of the way.  Don't like losing to the Jets but it would be OK to screwup their draft plans.

13 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

No rest for starters. Need too much work on screens and beating blitz. Jets are a great test.

Young , flawed QB still needs work.

This year is about changing culture, how valuable that is, and what it means going forward. That means you dont take the foot off the pedal.

Id consider, however, a few personel moves like Duke active or working in Yeldon. 

Well said.

51 minutes ago, SuperBills12 said:

By this logic, we should have lost against Miami last year. There's something to be said for momentum and confidence heading into the play offs. Also, how well has buffalo done with extra rest? Not great. Give rest to some who are hurting, but play the rest and play to win. 11-5. let's go!

I would argue that results from previous extra rest scenarios are irrelevant as they were not under this regime so they aren't relatable 

I can see the case for momentum but I think injury concerns and draft order exceed that 

11 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

I would argue that results from previous extra rest scenarios are irrelevant as they were not under this regime so they aren't relatable 

I can see the case for momentum but I think injury concerns and draft order exceed that 

Idk they came out pretty flat against the Dolphins following the bye this year

• Like (+1) 1

It's absolutely amazing to think that  the Bills will once again be playing the Jets in a totally meaningless game to close out the regular season...but for a change, we'll be resting our starters, for a PLAYOFF GAME to follow!

I looked back over the last decade and we closed the season against them five times:

2010 (L)

2012 (W)

2015 (W)

2016 (L)

and now 2019 (?)

This team is not going to get a bye week like the Pats and Ravens are.....this is a great opportunity for us to manufacture a bye week and get starters needed rest and allow them to start game planning for the first game (which will be at home?)

Allen had an ankle thing a couple of games ago........Gore didnt even play yesterday which means Devin saw a LOT of reps in that game for him.......Morse got hurt

A "bye" week at this point of the season is a GOOD thing.......

And its not like the jets are good?   They could STILL win it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This team is not going to get a bye week like the Pats and Ravens are.....this is a great opportunity for us to manufacture a bye week and get starters needed rest and allow them to start game planning for the first game (which will be at home?)

Very well said. They earned themselves a bye week. The only difference is that it's the last game of the regular season.

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I feel like it means nothing but if we lose then we won’t have a winning record in our division. That would suck but still meaningless. I kind of like that 11-5 vibe more than 10-6 too. 

If only he had Prescott throwing him the ball instead of Allen. Oh wait...

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

If only he had Prescott throwing him the ball instead of Allen. Oh wait...

remember all the crap we got thrown our way when the rumor was AB wouldn't come to buffalo? that's ok Smoke comes and gets his career highs heading into the PLAYOFFS... then remember all the crap dallas social media gave Beasley when he chose buffalo? on his way to career highs across the board as he heads into the PLAYOFFS.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Do the Bills want to end the season with a 2 game losing streak???

the optics will be there 

Yeah, after going the entire year without back to back losses do they really want that as they enter the playoffs? 

At the same time I’d like to rest the starters. Hopefully the backups can pull out the W.

Edited by MDH

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

No, the only way to get a home playoff game in the first two rounds is to win your division.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I am just being selfish here, but I would like to see as many starters as possible play at least the first half, simply because I will be at the game!

Looking at the bigger picture, I just want to see a competitive game and a win! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Have they announced if starters are playing or not? Its a hard call. Would love to see Josh get another game of experience, but one bad hit and we have Barkley starting in playoffs. 

No.  Just listened to McDermott Monday presser and he's "Doris Day"ing us: "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"

Said that we're going to do what's best for the team.  Have to weigh improving as a team vs rest.

Said he's been through 25 playoff games (!!) and you get 2nd guessed no matter what you do. 

Emphasized several times "we have a YOUNG football team"

Said it's a chance to see if some of the guys 'are who we think they are' "if we decide to go that route"

Injuries: Ty Nsekhe, Mitch Morse, Shaq Lawson, Andre Roberts, "other guys with bumps and bruises"

On Mitch: "I'll know more later this afternoon and then tomorrow as well"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No.  Just listened to McDermott Monday presser and he's "Doris Day"ing us: "Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps"

Said that we're going to do what's best for the team.  Have to weigh improving as a team vs rest.

Said he's been through 25 playoff games (!!) and you get 2nd guessed no matter what you do. 

Emphasized several times "we have a YOUNG football team"

Said it's a chance to see if some of the guys 'are who we think they are' "if we decide to go that route"

Injuries: Ty Nsekhe, Mitch Morse, Shaq Lawson, Andre Roberts, "other guys with bumps and bruises"

On Mitch: "I'll know more later this afternoon and then tomorrow as well"

Edit: I think in his postgame presser, he said he would talk to "Brandon" about it (eg Brandon Beane).

In this presser, I didn't hear him mention Brandon once, but I did hear him mention Brian (Daboll) several times.

I sort of have the impression that the decision to sit/start might be driven by what they feel will be best for Allen's development.

18 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Edit: I think in his postgame presser, he said he would talk to "Brandon" about it (eg Brandon Beane).

In this presser, I didn't hear him mention Brandon once, but I did hear him mention Brian (Daboll) several times.

I sort of have the impression that the decision to sit/start might be driven by what they feel will be best for Allen's development.

He did mention Beane today 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Twitter link to Daboll presser.  Facebook not up yet:

Did anyone catch the first question Daboll was asked?  He responded "You'd have to ask Josh...he's pretty level-headed....each unique game is a little bit different and I think that would be a good question for him" but it wasn't clear what the question was (to me).

Daboll kind of made it sound as though the roster decisions as to who would play would be made by Beane and McDermott and he was just going to keep his head down and prepare a game plan.

I'm with others in wanting the Bills to sit anyone on the injury report AND play their starters for 1 - 2 quarters. 

I get there's a risk of injury but I would worry about Allen being rusty in the first half of the playoff game if he got no snaps this Sunday.  I think treating this like the 2nd preseason game seems the way to go.  

Edited by CincyBillsFan

I’d be shock if all the starters didn’t get the week off.

It would be a terrible decision to play them. 

If the bills did lose on wildcard weekend, then I doubt ANYONE would blame it on the prior weeks decision of resting the starters 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If nothing else I say give the offense the first quarter with starters to try to hit on plays that have been a problem. Slants, screens and deep shots. 

Neither team has anything to play for other than draft position and I'm sure both would prefer to lose if that's all that mattered. 

Still going to watch regardless of how little the game actually means. The season isn't over just because they clinched a playoff birth. 

Edited by The Wiz

9 hours ago, Mr. K said:

I would love to see that number sit around 40 every year (Passing & Rushing). The defense doesn't control the clock or put the points up. Beside that being favorites with potential back ups in play is something.

We’ll see what happens when he gets another legit outside WR but 40 total TDs is a pretty high mark for even the best in the league.