Week 17: Jets at Bills

YoloinOhio

Ok, so I’m on the record that I would prefer we not play our “key” starters at all but I’m not particularly “worried” about the game either. My guess is that the “key” starters will play a series or two and then the backups/lesser starters will finish it up. 

To me, “key” starters are:

Allen

Brown

Beasley

Singletary

Knox

Morse

Dawkins

Edmunds

Milano

Tre White

Hyde

Poyer

Hughes

Oliver

That’s 14 guys, 7 each on O and D. 

49 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I just can’t get into this game. I’ve tried all week -even with Christmas, but I just don’t care and wish it were defaulted. Sure, I’d love an 11 Win season and I hate and ALWAYS want to beat the Jets. But with the laissez faire attitude by the team, starters wisely not playing the whole game and the outcome otherwise meaningless sans national opinion being ‘Well, they ONLY won 10 games, so..’ IDGAF.

Honestly can’t remember feeling this way about any game, regardless of any previous W/L record on the final week.

Sorry, guys..?‍♂️

I plan on tailgating, walking in late, wishing the people around me happy new year, and going home by halftime.  After a season of close games decided late and heavy traffic leaving this is a nice spot to be in.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, despite the clamor for Gase's head, the team is 4-2 in their last 6 games, including somehow managing to beat the Steelers (I THINK it had more to do with Duck throwing ducks, but) and earlier, the Cowboys.  Mehta's assessment of the fall-off in offensive production is a bit specious, because he doesn't account for the fact that Darnold missed 4 games.

So I think it's the same philosophy as the Falcons, where they think the end of the season was turned around so let's wait and see.

Edit: I had not realized that Hodges was pulled from the game for Rudolph, then Rudolph was benched again for Hodges.  Wow, the Steelers have a QB Soap Opera going down.

Rudolph wasn’t benched. He was playing well and then hurt his shoulder. 14-20 for 129 yds, 1 nice TD pass, and no turnovers.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Yard Monkey said:

I hear you...I’m pretty much in the same place. Anyone hear the draft position impact of winning vs. losing. Is it much different?

Draft position of playoff teams is determined by playoff performance, so no. When we win the Super Bowl we’ll be drafting 32nd regardless of if we finish the regular season 10-6 or 11-5. ?

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

Ok, so I’m on the record that I would prefer we not play our “key” starters at all but I’m not particularly “worried” about the game either. My guess is that the “key” starters will play a series or two and then the backups/lesser starters will finish it up. 

Allen

Brown

Beasley

Singletary

Knox

Morse

Dawkins

Edmunds

Milano

Tre White

Hyde

Poyer

Hughes

Oliver

I don't think you can pull that many starters out of a game and make it work numerically?

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I just can’t get into this game. I’ve tried all week -even with Christmas, but I just don’t care and wish it were defaulted. Sure, I’d love an 11 Win season and I hate and ALWAYS want to beat the Jets. But with the laissez faire attitude by the team, starters wisely not playing the whole game and the outcome otherwise meaningless sans national opinion being ‘Well, they ONLY won 10 games, so..’ IDGAF.

Honestly can’t remember feeling this way about any game, regardless of any previous W/L record on the final week.

Sorry, guys..?‍♂️

I am in the same spot.  Just want the team to stay healthy and bring on the playoffs.  Conversely, last season's finale I was excited to see Allen again even though we had the exact opposite record entering that game than we do now (5-10 vs 10-5).  I guess (hopefully) we have to get used to these meaningless week 17 games if we can be a perennial playoff team.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, so you need 3 ST guys.  That leaves you with 7 guys to play teams and be backups?  I'll admit to laziness in that I'm not going to try to fill out a roster and see if it actually works but my gut is "can't"

Technically you can't.  I used the OL and LB as an example in another thread.

There are only 9 OL on the team.  So if you don't play the 5 starters...................math takes over.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Technically you can't.  I used the OL and LB as an example in another thread.

There are only 9 OL on the team.  So if you don't play the 5 starters...................math takes over.

I get that.  What I *think* we're talking about here is if we could rest the 14 players (7 each on offense and defense) @eball suggested, and still field a plausible team.

Take a look up thread - I don't think you can.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get that.  What I *think* we're talking about here is if we could rest the 14 players (7 each on offense and defense) @eball suggested, and still field a plausible team.

Sorry, I lost track of the discussion.  

Earlier I had mentioned IF that is possible it would revolve around who McD designates as "Inactive".

IF some of those starters are "Inactive" to start the game then it could be possible.

One thing that hasn't been considered is if all these depth players were to start it really shortens the rotation available.

I would have fans consider this.  Let's say that McD started Barkley with an OL comprised of depth players and the Jets bring

the house and Barkley get's dinged.  I would hate to see Josh (or any other starter) have to re-enter the game.

IMO McD starts a large part of the normal lineup (minus some of his starter "inactives") and slowly starts subbing the depth in.

I think it's the wisest thing to do.

9 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Make the following inactive:

Smoke

Beasley

Motor

Shaq

White

Lorax

Morse

Play Allen for a series, or two. Don't play Jordan Phillips much, if at all. Let Perry and TJ run the ball 60%. 

We'll probably still beat the bums.

Roberts is already an out and Ty will probably need another week.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sure you can. Some of the guys playing on O and D also play teams. 

On 12/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, despite the clamor for Gase's head, the team is 4-2 in their last 6 games, including somehow managing to beat the Steelers (I THINK it had more to do with Duck throwing ducks, but) and earlier, the Cowboys.  Mehta's assessment of the fall-off in offensive production is a bit specious, because he doesn't account for the fact that Darnold missed 4 games.

So I think it's the same philosophy as the Falcons, where they think the end of the season was turned around so let's wait and see.

Edit: I had not realized that Hodges was pulled from the game for Rudolph, then Rudolph was benched again for Hodges.  Wow, the Steelers have a QB Soap Opera going down.

Rudolph wasn't benched again.  He got injured pretty bad.

14 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sorry, guys..?‍♂️

Competive juices always going, preseason, game 1, game 16, playoffs....doesn't matter.  I'm still pumped, and I'm sure mcdermott isn't going to let these guys go out and play laissez faire either.  That's how you get hurt...need to keep the same routine, same focus and if we pull starters, I'm still excited to see some other guys get a shot.

10 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

So when a century ends...1900 to 2000s, you say we are still in the 1900s in 2000? lol, same.concept with a decade, 2010-2019 is the 2010s.

Need to go back further than that. Can’t just choose a random century, but rather back to the beginning of recorded time. Was the first year known as year zero, or was it year one ? Yes, the nineteenth century was years 1901-2000. You may not have been in the “ nineteen hundreds” but you were certainly in the last year of the nineteenth century. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Need to go back further than that. Can’t just choose a random century, but rather back to the beginning of recorded time. Was the first year known as year zero, or was it year one ? Yes, the nineteenth century was years 1901-2000. You may not have been in the “ nineteen hundreds” but you were certainly in the last year of the nineteenth century. 

This is way off topic, so apologize for that... but it's simple math:

1. century=100 years.  so if you want to go back to 1st day AD then that year through 99 is considered 1st century (100 years) then 2nd century would begin on year 100.

2. decade=10 years. same concept as above.  1st day of time for 10 years would go through last day of year 9. beginning year 10 would be 2nd decade

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

This is way off topic, so apologize for that... but it's simple math:

1. century=100 years.  so if you want to go back to 1st day AD then that year through 99 is considered 1st century (100 years) then 2nd century would begin on year 100.

2. decade=10 years. same concept as above.  1st day of time for 10 years would go through last day of year 9. beginning year 10 would be 2nd decade

What year do you mean ? Year one ? Then yes, year 1-100 is a century. You don’t start with year nothing. 

16 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

So all those times I partied like it was 1999 were for nought?

9 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Make the following inactive:

Smoke

Beasley

Motor

Shaq

White

Lorax

Morse

Play Allen for a series, or two. Don't play Jordan Phillips much, if at all. Let Perry and TJ run the ball 60%. 

We'll probably still beat the bums.

Yeah, our centers are Morse and Feliciano.  That's a "No" to making one of 2 centers inactive.

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, our centers are Morse and Feliciano.  That's a "No" to making one of 2 centers inactive.

Long has been listed as a backup center all season, and was until recently listed as our #2 center, even though I don't believe he has delivered a snap all season. In fact, he played center for the Jets, albeit poorly. Morse got dinged last week, and I'm sure you'd agree that our line is better with both Morse, and Feliciano on it. 

8 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Long has been listed as a backup center all season, and was until recently listed as our #2 center, even though I don't believe he has delivered a snap all season. In fact, he played center for the Jets, albeit poorly. Morse got dinged last week, and I'm sure you'd agree that our line is better with both Morse, and Feliciano on it. 

If Allen is playing at all, the rationale is to keep him sharp, and that would mean taking snaps from his starting center.

If Allen and Barkley are taking snaps, they need to be assured of a quality center protecting them. 

Long hasn't taken a snap at center this season for good reason.  He was the "next man up" at center when Morse was concussed pre-season and it wasn't pretty.

I'm sure you'd agree that going into a playoff game with Davis Webb as our backup QB would not be a Sunny Day.

On 12/28/2019 at 10:40 AM, eball said:

Allen - 2 series

Brown - inactive

Beasley - inactive

Singletary - inactive

Knox - inactive

Morse -

Dawkins - 

Edmunds - 1 series

Milano - 1 series

Tre White - inactive

Hyde - 1 series

Poyer - 1 series

Hughes -

Oliver - 

I think I pretty much nailed this.  Oliver seemed to play a bit more and I wasn't watching the OL rotation (or anything else about this game) closely but the only starting OL who played significant minutes were Ford and Spain.

So in other words -- it could be done.