Coleman selects Harris, Briscoe top 5 black quarterbacks

John Gianelli

On ESPN radio just now, Freddie Coleman chose as his top 5 black quarterbacks

1) Doug Williams

2) Steve McNair

3) James Harris

4) Michael Vick

5) Marlin Briscoe

Harris played quarterback for the Bills. Briscoe was a wide receiver with the Bills, but he did attempt 3 passes.

I'm surprised he didn't have Russell Wilson or Randall Cunningham in his top 5.

Edited by John Gianelli
clarified it was ESPN radio
  • Like (+1) 2

There has to be some criteria that the OP missed.  There are too many better QBs than Harris and Briscoe.  3 of them have already been mentioned and there are several playing now better than those 2.  My guess is they are the top 5 who were told before the draft to change positions if they wanted to play in the NFL, although I don't think Vick was ever told that.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John Gianelli said:

1) Doug Williams

2) Steve McNair

3) James Harris

4) Michael Vick

5) Marlin Briscoe

Harris played quarterback for the Bills. Briscoe was a wide receiver with the Bills, but he did attempt 3 passes.

Doug Williams ?? LOL

Warren Moon was better than all those guys.

• Like (+1) 2

Lol what is this crap? Whatever a Freddie Coleman is, I'm pretty sure he wont have a job tomorrow if he did this list on ESPN's dime as noted. I'm as anti PC culture as anyone, but a qb is a qb. I dont see race factoring into my judgment of how good or bad a qubby is.

25 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

Lol what is this crap? Whatever a Freddie Coleman is, I'm pretty sure he wont have a job tomorrow if he did this list on ESPN's dime as noted. I'm as anti PC culture as anyone, but a qb is a qb. I dont see race factoring into my judgment of how good or bad a qubby is.

He's black himself, so he'll be fine.............I like him.  He goes from like 9-1 or so on espn radio.  

I actually find it to be an interesting topic.  But, Warren Moon is in the HOF and none of those guys are.  Brisco played like a few games at QB..............Something is amiss with that list.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

It can't be "best".  It has to be "most historic" or "most significant".  Briscoe played some QB for the Broncos before coming over to the Bills.  Harris I believe was first starting black QB.  Williams won a Super Bowl, etc.

This.  And then the list makes sense.  It is the list of quarterbacks who make Russell Wilson and Patrick Mahomes possible.  There was a time, not very long ago, when the assumption was that African-Americans were great athletes and so could make great running backs and receivers, but they lacked the mental ability and leadership qualities to be quarterbacks.  It took players like Harris and performances like Williams' in the Superbowl to start to change that attitude.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I like Freddie Coleman quite a bit. I find his show interesting normally and he isn’t the typical “overly negative to get a reaction” guy. With that being said his list is pretty terrible. Doug Williams was important but not great. Warren Moon and Russell Wilson have to be on the list. McNabb and Cunningham should have spots as well. Mahomes, Watson and Jackson resumes are too limited but they are trending that way. This would be mine:

1) Moon

2) Wilson

3) McNair

4) Cunningham

5) McNabb

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

1) Doug Williams

2) Steve McNair

3) James Harris

4) Michael Vick

5) Marlin Briscoe

Moon is a HOF and McNabb are better than those 5

Who listens to the hacks at ESPN anymore anyway.

9 hours ago, Kiva said:

Strange topic...

I'm not a regular listener and I don't know if Freddie Coleman does this all the time, but last night he was letting listeners call in with 15-second takes, with suggestions for topics. A caller suggested he list his top 5 black quarterbacks, so he did. Almost immediately someone told him he left off Warren Moon, but he stuck by his list. He did say something about the historical significance of the quarterbacks he named. I probably wouldn't have paid much attention, but when he mentioned James Harris and Marlin Briscoe, as an elder Bills fan those names brought back vivid memories.

Edited by John Gianelli

9 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

1) Doug Williams

2) Steve McNair

3) James Harris

4) Michael Vick

5) Marlin Briscoe

Hows Moon & McNabb not on the list i never heard of two of those guys

Edited by Bronxbomber21

8 hours ago, NC Book said:

How about the top 10 white rbs? Would Tim Tindale crack that list? 

The best running back in the league right now is white for what it’s worth?‍♂️. This list is certainly strange. First off there’s no point to it. We should be past stuff like this. And second, There’s no way a rational person made this list of the best and left off Moon and Russel Wilson. Must have been something we are missing

Yea, even if his list had some other qualifier, like "most historically significant", it is hard not to have Warren Moon on that list -- and at the top. Remember, Moon had to play in Canada for several years because he was told by NFL executives/scouts that he did not have an "NFL arm". Yet, Moon had one of the finest arms -- and probably threw one of the prettiest passes -- in NFL history. You could argue that Moon -- more so than even Douq Williams -- played the greatest role in shattering stereotypes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

I'm surprised it's 2019 and we're still making separate lists for black athletes/people.  

Pathetic.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I like Freddie Coleman quite a bit. I find his show interesting normally and he isn’t the typical “overly negative to get a reaction” guy. With that being said his list is pretty terrible. Doug Williams was important but not great. Warren Moon and Russell Wilson have to be on the list. McNabb and Cunningham should have spots as well. Mahomes, Watson and Jackson resumes are too limited but they are trending that way. This would be mine:

1) Moon

2) Wilson

3) McNair

4) Cunningham

5) McNabb

There's the correct list.  Although I would put McNabb at 3.

• Like (+1) 1