Sunday is the biggest game of the year

It seems some folks are taking the Eagles way too lightly. Yes, they have stumbled out of the gate, but their roster is anything but garbage. I just hope this isn't the week they start playing up to their talent level. I seriously doubt anyone at OBD is taking them lightly.

9 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Actually, winning games against the other conference hurts the Bills chances at making the playoffs because of tie breakers. 

Winning never hurts anything except the other guy(s).

Edited by GreggTX

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Maybe?  Outside of last week’s schooling by the Cowboys, the smallest number of points the Iggles have put up is 20.  Put up 31-34 3x.

I think this is going to be a game where the Bills offense needs to show up and follow through with the points.  

Agree 100% !!! 

Eagles offense is very capable of putting up points , ( IMO ) our defense will have to keep the eagles under 20 points for us to have a shot , this is the game we need Allen to be able to connect on some of the long bombs !!

GO BILLS 

It is a big game in the sense that it is the first of 5 games on our schedule that I consider to neither be in the "must win" bucket or in the "will probably lose to the Pats" bucket.

vs Eagles;

@ Browns;

@ Cowboys;

vs Ravens;

@ Steelers.

They are the five games and this is the first of them. It isn't the biggest over the course of the season because three of those are against conference opponents and particularly the Browns might well end up in the wildcard race with us so I think that one is the biggest of those five. But the Eagles is the first of the five and the only one in the first half of the schedule. Win it and the Bills would be in an extremely strong position as regards the playoffs, but lose it and it doesn't hurt as much as a loss to the AFC teams on that list.

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a big game in the sense that it is the first of 5 games on our schedule that I consider to neither be in the "must win" bucket or in the "will probably lose to the Pats" bucket.

vs Eagles;

@ Browns;

@ Cowboys;

vs Ravens;

@ Steelers.

They are the five games and this is the first of them. It isn't the biggest over the course of the season because three of those are against conference opponents and particularly the Browns might well end up in the wildcard race with us so I think that one is the biggest of those five. But the Eagles is the first of the five and the only one in the first half of the schedule. Win it and the Bills would be in an extremely strong position as regards the playoffs, but lose it and it doesn't hurt as much as a loss to the AFC teams on that list.

No game is ever easy (contrary to some beliefs). 

The Browns are not what they were expected to be but still not an easy out.

The same with the Steelers now that Big Ben is done for the year.

The Cravens in Buffalo ... I'd love to say they suck but ... I have to be honest they will be tough if they can not stop LJ from rushing.  

Most everyone is expecting a L in Dallas.  

Obligatory :censored: the Pats***

I smirked when I first saw this thread? but Manned up to read it. Every bit as disappointing as anticipated. The ‘most important game of a season’ is only determined in hindsight. If we’re victorious Sunday, does that then mean the Redskins are the new Most Important? Larry Felser (R.I.P.) said it best prior to the Home game vs. Miami in late December ‘90. We’d lost Kelly to an injury & Reich would be leading us in “the biggest game to date in team History”. He wasn’t forgetting ‘64-‘66. Those were AFL days. We won the game and the Division. That made the Home playoff game against the same Dolphins “ the new biggest game”. Winning that made the AFC Championship Game vs Raiders the new “biggest game”. And so on and so on. 

The Only thing that happens with a loss Sunday to an out of conference opponent still in the 1st half of the season will be ‘I told ya so’ claims by attention seekers. Will a loss to Philadelphia dictate a loss the following week? 

You know the answer to this, OP. ?

#KT

• Like (+1) 1

Regardless of outcome this game is a good test for our offensive line. That eagles D has been bad and injury plagued, but their front four is still top notch. The eagles oline has some talent as well. I want to see how this Bills team performs in the trenches, especially after that Miami game. Winning the LoS on both sides of the ball will make a statement that this Bills team can win late season games. 

I get what the OP is saying. Its a bit of an exaggeration though. If we win this week, it'll be the best team they have beaten this year. No matter what, the game against the Patriots was a bigger deal than this one. Now, if we win, it doesn't mean we are going to be 10-1 against the Cowboys on Thanksgiving. Cleveland is hardly a cake walk. And even the best teams lose to bad teams once in a while. Look at the Patriots in Miami over the last several years.

In a round about way the game has an impact on tie breakers. A loss Sunday could be the one game that drops you down into the end of season tie breaker regimen. A win Sunday could be the game that elevates you above the tie breaker puzzle.

When there's only 16 games, they're all important. That's why I was very happy to leave the Meadowlands 2-0.

It's not like NHL/MLB/NBA where you can take a game off without damage.

13 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I agree it's a big game, I'll be there in attendance, to me this game is similar to the Bengals game, this is a middling opponent that can get hot and we get a chance to see if our team is smoke and mirrors or if it handles business again against an average team(not great not terrible but average). This game will reveal alot about what the team is made of. If we come out and roll over them we are completely legit imo. If we struggle a lot I might begin worrying about some of the other games on our schedule a bit more....what really is important to me is this is another good bit of practice for the offense to further figure things out and tune up for New England week 16 and the other tougher teams on our schedule jmo

I agree with you completely.  In addition, Bills can't afford for Daboll to have another first half clunker.  Philly is missing some players from their front seven and have been more vulnerable to the run game and screens.  Given all of this plus the horrible secondary, there is no reason to be predictable or one dimensional.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, boater said:

In a round about way the game has an impact on tie breakers. A loss Sunday could be the one game that drops you down into the end of season tie breaker regimen. A win Sunday could be the game that elevates you above the tie breaker puzzle.

When there's only 16 games, they're all important. That's why I was very happy to leave the Meadowlands 2-0.

It's not like NHL/MLB/NBA where you can take a game off without damage.

The Bills OWN the #1 Wild Card seed.  They have the advantage over Houston 4-3 (6th seed) and Indianapolis 4-2 (4th seed) at this time.

It is more about the conference and less between AFC and NFC records. 

Denver    @ Indianapolis 4-2
Oakland    @ Houston 4-3

So even IF the Bills lost and the Texans Win the 5-2 Bills are slightly better win % than the 5-3 Texans

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to ... season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied ... If the tiedclubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker. 

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

please correct any mistake I may have made 

Just win, that is all, 

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

I agree it's a big game, I'll be there in attendance, to me this game is similar to the Bengals game, this is a middling opponent that can get hot and we get a chance to see if our team is smoke and mirrors or if it handles business again against an average team(not great not terrible but average). This game will reveal alot about what the team is made of. If we come out and roll over them we are completely legit imo. If we struggle a lot I might begin worrying about some of the other games on our schedule a bit more....what really is important to me is this is another good bit of practice for the offense to further figure things out and tune up for New England week 16 and the other tougher teams on our schedule jmo

Philly is going to be scrapping for their season. This is a must win for them.

Please talk me off the ledge.  After the Bills struggles last week against a pathetic Dolphins team, it seems like we could get humiliated this we by the Eagles.

This game feels like so many other "test" games in the past where we started out the season strong only to get "exposed" as a fraud and our season comes crashing down.

I know we have different management and players.  We have a closely bonded team and a new focus, but this feels like deja vu.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

38 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Please talk me off the ledge.  After the Bills struggles last week against a pathetic Dolphins team, it seems like we could get humiliated this we by the Eagles.

This game feels like so many other "test" games in the past where we started out the season strong only to get "exposed" as a fraud and our season comes crashing down.

I know we have different management and players.  We have a closely bonded team and a new focus, the this feels like deja vu.

Ward, don't you think you're being a little hard on the Beaver ?? 

lol 

I'll be in the minority and agree with the OP here.  ?

It's a very big game for the psyche of the PTSD-stricken Bills fanbase and the Bills media.  This game could be quite the confidence builder for team and fans.  There is an entire generation of Bills fans who have no concept of the Bills being 6-1.  

If the Bills win, we all will feel that *this* season might just be different.  The media (outside Philadelphia) loves the Eagles, their "brilliant" coach and "shrewd" GM and the talking heads all had this team as a Super Bowl contender at the beginning of the year.  

If the Bills lose, we're going to think it's 2008 all over again and questioning whether the media is right - that we're a mediocre 5-2 team.

• Like (+1) 1

Right now the Bills are in control of their own destiny. If they continue to win, nobody can knock them out of the playoffs. If all the AFC's 4-win teams lose, we maintain or extend that lead. Sure, there are 10 games left, so you have to win every one that you can. While I doubt we'll win out, we have to do our jobs and take every opportunity we can to improve the record. Our job as fans is to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the visitors coming into New Era.

It is almost certain that none of the AFC's 4-win teams will win out either. But, we don't want to have to depend on somebody losing to make the playoffs. So yes, this is a big game.

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

To me it is huge because we all have the memory of starting 5-1 in 2008 and missing the playoffs. Can't recall ever starting 6-1 and missing the playoffs. Also, 6-1 would  be our best start to a season since the super bowl days. We need to get over that hump.

This.

Would love to get to 6-1 just to break that mental block.  

It isn't that big of a game.  Let's face it, the Bills are heading to the playoffs as a wild card team.  10-6 or 14-2 or whatever.  They can lose this game and be fine.  The biggest game of the year will be Wild Card week 1, then the Divisional playoff, etc.  They are too good of a team and the  schedule is just too weak for them to not make the playoffs. They would make it even if they lost Josh Allen.  They are not beating the Patriots though unless they add an offensive weapon. That is just the reality of it. The Pats made a move and got a wide receiver.  The Bills need to make a move or they won't even be competitive with the Patriots.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I smirked when I first saw this thread? but Manned up to read it. Every bit as disappointing as anticipated. The ‘most important game of a season’ is only determined in hindsight. If we’re victorious Sunday, does that then mean the Redskins are the new Most Important? Larry Felser (R.I.P.) said it best prior to the Home game vs. Miami in late December ‘90. We’d lost Kelly to an injury & Reich would be leading us in “the biggest game to date in team History”. He wasn’t forgetting ‘64-‘66. Those were AFL days. We won the game and the Division. That made the Home playoff game against the same Dolphins “ the new biggest game”. Winning that made the AFC Championship Game vs Raiders the new “biggest game”. And so on and so on. 

The Only thing that happens with a loss Sunday to an out of conference opponent still in the 1st half of the season will be ‘I told ya so’ claims by attention seekers. Will a loss to Philadelphia dictate a loss the following week? 

You know the answer to this, OP. ?

#KT

just win the damn thing....a loss at home will have the national urinalists spouting "see I told you they're not that good" and this place goes into "Monday Meltdown"........

On 10/24/2019 at 11:00 PM, Nihilarian said:

All regular season games are important and this is a against a team that is reeling at 3-4. Especially after their HC says they will beat the Cowboys and the get trounced.

The Eagles offense is mediocre as is their defense. Offense 14th PF, 23rd Yards. Defense 24th PA, 18th yards allowed.

This team has some fans thinking that they should have kept Foles. 

Easily the second best team they have faced this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If Josh Allen leads us to another 4th quarter come back, I hope McDermott "Harbaugh's" Schwartz.....I would love to see the outcome.

Image result for Jim Schwartz jim harbaugh gif

Luckily Sean has more class than Jim Harbaugh. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Easily the second best team they have faced this season.

I don't think they are a lot better than the Titans - I think they are a bit - but they are a much more dangerous match up for Buffalo. I never saw how Tenn could move the ball on us and indeed I said that week we might only need 14 to win and so it proved. Philadelphia I can see moving the ball and the biggest weakness of their defense is to the deep ball which so far this season is the weakness of the Bills O. 

That said I think the Bills are a more complete team and will win. 

• Like (+1) 1