Keeping DiMarco or not?

GreggTX

Should DiMarco make the final 53?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want DiMarco on the final 53?

• Yes. Keep him.
    • No. Get another FB or use a TE in the backfield.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/31/2019 at 07:57 AM

I see a lot of you want him gone and I get that. He's no probowler any more.

Still, what NFL team has anyone better. Sure, there are a handful, but there are also a lot more FB's that aren't as good. He's certainly not the worst by a fair margin.  I also think people might falsely assume that any TE can just step in and do what they are asking DiMarco to do. I don't know that there is anyone better available.

I don't think the fact that he isn't playing in the last preseason game really indicates anything, but I expect he'll make the final 53.

What do you think? Should he make it or not?

Great locker room guy...yeah yeah. Cut him and pay him to be the locker room cheerleader. They do just fine in the running game without him in there. I can't remember saying to myself, wow, thay block by DiMarco sprung Shady or whomever was behind him.

I think if Daboll’s offense requires a capable FB my answer is yes unless there is a better option that comes along if that is the case.

10 minutes ago, papazoid said:

would rather keep wade

To be honest I would too, there is a better chance than not that he could get snagged onto someone else’s 53 while he is on waivers waiting to be the 11th protected man on our practice squad (I may not have the designation rules right for him). At the same time though  I put my trust in this coaching staff and in preseason I think every fan has to eat their vegetables when it comes to the final cut down.

16 minutes ago, Devilmann said:

He played 168 offensive snaps last year so your paying him to be pretty much a healthy scratch for roughly 14 games. I’d wish they’d dump him. 

Or 16 snaps a game which is probably 25% of the snaps on offense

You need a guy to clear the way for runners and it's a physically grueling position

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t know what this guy does behind closed doors, but I know he doesn’t do much on the field. I find it strange but he must be one helluva locker room guy or something 

How many locker room guys do they need?? When is "football player" > "locker room guy"??

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Devilmann said:

He played 168 offensive snaps last year so your paying him to be pretty much a healthy scratch for roughly 14 games.

He had the fourth most special team snaps as well.  He's going nowhere...

9 hours ago, papazoid said:

would rather keep wade

His potential upside outweighs the effectiveness of a older FB in a pass first league.

9 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I there is a better chance than not that he could get snagged onto someone else’s 53 while he is on waivers waiting to be the 11th protected man on our practice squad (I may not have the designation rules right for him). 

source.gif

57 minutes ago, the skycap said:

How many locker room guys do they need?? When is "football player" > "locker room guy"??

Depends on how important he is, if the whole team is rallied around him it’s better to keep one key player who may not produce than piss off 53 guys you need to go out and die for you once a week 

A FB is needed in Daboll's offense, at least if it's anything like the Pats* system/offense.  A FB generally helps a short passing game with blocking, as a receiving outlet, and to disguise passing plays with running formations.  They are particularly useful in play-action for all 3 of those reasons.  

At this point it would be too much of a hiccup to release DiMarco and pick up another FB or use a TE in this fashion, imo.  

12 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There is no question they are keeping him, and probably should. 

If they keep him, where do the trim? It looks like we will carry 4 RB’s on the 53. I suppose we can by Only carrying 2 QB’s on the 53 and Tyree on the PS, if he makes it there? Also, do the Bills go 6 or 7 WR’s? Man we really haven’t had these problems in a long time as we have some tough cuts that will be scooped up quickly.

DiMarco staying really may depend on how much the Bills values a FB and his special teams contributions because imo, he is average at best in his tradecraft. 

Anyways KTG, Go Bills- woof woof

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You need a guy to clear the way for runners and it's a physically grueling position

Yeah, so he's hardly on the field.  The Bills rushing game has nosedived since they signed this guy.  Why do they need him when so many other teams don't really use one for "clearing the way for runners" anymore?  They are already paying Lee Smith (and likely Knox) to be another blocker.

Who is the Chiefs run blocking FB?  The Rams? Cowboys?

The Bills might as well keep a horse and buggy driver on the roster.

DiMarco is projected as a 53-man roster lock by Marcel Louis-Jacques:

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/33458/bills-53-man-roster-projection-includes-seven-receivers

"FULLBACK (1): Patrick DiMarco

A team captain and special teams stalwart, DiMarco earns a spot here despite his position's fading relevance in the modern NFL."

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, so he's hardly on the field.  The Bills rushing game has nosedived since they signed this guy.  Why do they need him when so many other teams don't really use one for "clearing the way for runners" anymore?  They are already paying Lee Smith (and likely Knox) to be another blocker.

Who is the Chiefs run blocking FB?  The Rams? Cowboys?

The Bills might as well keep a horse and buggy driver on the roster.

Not considering special teams, that is already more than the last two RBs and last WRs in the roster. 

And, come on, you going to ignore the Pats and Chiefs, the two offenses with the most sustained success in the NFL? Do they also drive horse and buggies?

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was on the field for 15% of the offense snaps last year.  He still stays but he doesn't have that big of an impact for his $'s.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He was on the field for 15% of the offense snaps last year.  He still stays but he doesn't have that big of an impact for his $'s.

Are you paying his salary? He is a special teams captain and over half the league still keeps a FB

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

That’s still more than the last RB and WR. And, it’s not like we are hurting for money. Value isn’t really an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Are you paying his salary? He is a special teams captain and over half the league still keeps a FB

I was just stating that his snap count has decreased on the offense since he has been here.

He'll make the team again and contribute but he is the 2nd highest paid fullback in the league.

Juszczyk is the highest and is used a lot more on offense.  A lot.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I was just stating that his snap count has decreased on the offense since he has been here.

He'll make the team again and contribute but he is the 2nd highest paid fullback in the league.

Juszczyk is the highest and is used a lot more on offense.  A lot.

Well Jus is a Superstar. More of a receiving FB than a straight line blocker.

He was actually who I wanted 2 years ago but got a mega contract

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Well Jus is a Superstar. More of a receiving FB than a straight line blocker.

He was actually who I wanted 2 years ago but got a mega contract

He was my hope and I guess I let that affect my opinion of DiMarco too much.

Don't get me wrong I want DiMarco to play as good as he can and I do not diminish the need of a good FB but he was my guy.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

He was my hope and I guess I let that affect my opinion of DiMarco too much.

Don't get me wrong I want DiMarco to play as good as he can and I do not diminish the need of a good FB but he was my guy.

Yea I think you are just comparing the 2 and letting it get you down

Jus is the best in the game. Nobody comes close to him so he looks world's better than everyone

But Dimarco is definitely better than that few games stint with Gronks brother

• Thank you (+1) 1