Buffalo's reputation amongst free agents

clayboy54

4 hours ago, dayman said:

Again, guys, I'm pretty sure the term sheet and relevant teammates (e.g. QB if you are a WR, etc.) is about the only factor unless those factors are close, in which case we lose regardless of facilities. This is a silly discussion. 

It’s the offseason, we’re just warming up.  ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

No, it's not solely because of the visitor's locker room.

It's the city and region itself, the culture of losing, the talent on the team, etc....and the visitor's locker room.

So why not at a minimum update the visitor's locker room? Are we revelling in our near-obscurity at this point?

No, it's the city and region, the culture of losing, and the talent on the team, and how much they're being offered.

And they're not obscure.  The franchise is apparently well-known for having the Auschwitz of visitor locker rooms.  Isn't that you're entire argument?

4 hours ago, dayman said:

Again, guys, I'm pretty sure the term sheet and relevant teammates (e.g. QB if you are a WR, etc.) is about the only factor unless those factors are close, in which case we lose regardless of facilities. This is a silly discussion. 

But how are we ever going to attract quality free agents if we don't upgrade the facilities they never use???

3 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No, it's the city and region, the culture of losing, and the talent on the team, and how much they're being offered.

And they're not obscure.  The franchise is apparently well-known for having the Auschwitz of visitor locker rooms.  Isn't that you're entire argument?

No...is this an exercise in witty one-liners for the sake of escalating post counts? I've already laid out my argument - Buffalo is already an unattractive free agent destination. 40 year old dads may argue against this, but it's reality. So just update your facilities to be top-notch to at least take that argument away. There's my argument, Tom. Yours is that millionaire free agents need to be intelligent and embrace the soul of the city or you don't want them, or something?

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

No...is this an exercise in witty one-liners for the sake of escalating post counts? I've already laid out my argument - Buffalo is already an unattractive free agent destination. 40 year old dads may argue against this, but it's reality. So just update your facilities to be top-notch to at least take that argument away. There's my argument, Tom. Yours is that millionaire free agents need to be intelligent and embrace the soul of the city or you don't want them, or something?

I can see the point that you want to make the best possible impression with all players across the league. Maybe sway the sentiment just a little bit in terms of preconceived notions. I think it’s a very small thing, but it is a thing.  

Having said that, I don’t know what other visiting locker rooms look like. The only NFL locker room I’ve been in was the home team in Tampa. Shockingly small, apparently because they had to steal space for press row when they were hosting Super Bowls. Nothing special there for the HOME team. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can see the point that you want to make the best possible impression with all players across the league. Maybe sway the sentiment just a little bit in terms of preconceived notions. I think it’s a very small thing, but it is a thing.  

Having said that, I don’t know what other visiting locker rooms look like. The only NFL locker room I’ve been in was the home team in Tampa. Shockingly small, apparently because they had to steal space for press row when they were hosting Super Bowls. Nothing special there for the HOME team. 

Thanks, that my entire and only point.

Somebody earlier in the thread provided solid info on our visitor facility being the worst in the league. If so, I simply don't get it. Just update, to take that strike - as relatively minor as it may be - away.

Edited by Nelius

5 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Sure the stadium is old and spartan. It supports the economy of the region. But the players' facilities are first-class. Here, we worry about attracting free agents with comments like "who will come to Buffalo if we cut so-and-so", etc. Realistically, it is far more important to express to the rest of the country that we are committed to providing the best training and rehab facilities rather than whether or not they should like cold weather.

It reminds me of when they had just hired Rex and they were giving him a tour of the facilities and he was walking around looking around like a kid at Disney World and he said that everything looked fantastic. They showed him the cafeteria, and the weight room and he just raves about the facilities.  He actually says after being shown the locker room "I'm blown away here.  People have no idea..."

The link to the video on YouTube is below.   The facilities tour starts at the 1:30 second mark and the tour of the locker room starts right around 3:15 second mark.  Around the 4:18 second mark he says "I'm just blown away though, I don't know what I was expecting, but this is about as nice as it gets, you've got everything here."

The football stadium may be old, but everything else is state of the art.  People just don't know.  I don't know how you go about changing that misconception, but I agree, it is just one of the many issues that make Buffalo a hard sell for free agents and its completely unfounded.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PIZ said:

They should start advertising how great the facilities are on the Jumbo Tron during home games.  Create some DVDs to send out to free agents.  Have the Bills players contact top FAs to fill them in on how great Buffalo is and how great the owners, coaches and fans are to play for.

Surely they do. That doesn’t mean it gets to the father of a guy they may not even be interested in before they can even contact players. 

It unfortunately also might not be the type type of thing that registers with a certain segment of players that hear buffalo and think “cold, bad, broke” and have 3 hours of interaction with the city in their first 4 years in the league and that’s sitting in a locker room that might be the worst they’ve seen since high school. 

5 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Just this morning, my wife was working out with Greg Eiffert (Tyler's dad). Of course, we always try to encourage opportunities to land quality free agents. Greg argued that the Bills facilities are the worst in the league. Why would Tyler want to go there, he asked.

This is a good example of how poor the Bills reputation is among those players who have not spent time there. They just see the old stadium and assume everything else is outdated as well. We all know that is not at all the case. Going back to the Wilson regime, yes, it was the case. However, the Pegulas have spent a ton of money outfitting the facilities with state of the art technology. The is evidenced by the building of the new health and sports medicine facility that we learned about this past summer. I haven't been inside the facilities (except the fan-accessible portion) in many years, as I no longer reside in WNY. But, I do keep my eye on what's going on inside from my old friends that still work there.

Sure the stadium is old and spartan. It supports the economy of the region. But the players' facilities are first-class. Here, we worry about attracting free agents with comments like "who will come to Buffalo if we cut so-and-so", etc. Realistically, it is far more important to express to the rest of the country that we are committed to providing the best training and rehab facilities rather than whether or not they should like cold weather.

I found this very interesting. I'd enjoy hearing your comments.

Tyler Eiffert is simply ignorant of the realities. Visiting players only see the visiting player facilities and not the expansive facilities available to the home team players. The Bills have some of the most state of the art facilities in the game and they are still expanding their player training areas. Eiffert would change his tune if he came in for a visit. If we're interested in him and he chooses to deny a visit based on what he's seen or heard from others than don't know any better,  then he's too stupid to know better and we are better off. Maybe he should ask Preston Brown about the facilities. Brown can start with indoor practice facility the Bengals don't have. 

Todays NFL sometimes cracks me up over things like this.

Go to minute 9:15 on this old AFL documentary about the stadiums that our heroes played in back in the 60's.

Sorry, it's blocked by the NFL.

Search Lost Treasures of the NFL Episode 4.

Edited by ColoradoBills

54 minutes ago, Nelius said:

It's the city and region itself, the culture of losing, the talent on the team, etc....and the visitor's locker room.

So why not at a minimum update the visitor's locker room? Are we revelling in our near-obscurity at this point?

:thumbdown:

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PIZ said:

They should start advertising how great the facilities are on the Jumbo Tron during home games.  Create some DVDs to send out to free agents.  Have the Bills players contact top FAs to fill them in on how great Buffalo is and how great the owners, coaches and fans are to play for.

I'm thinking screens over the urinals and in the showers with a looping video showing the home locker room and training facilities narrated by Dennis Leary telling the players how much better things would be if they were there. No mute.

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

Hee-hee, haw haw. 

Meanwhile Buffalo still remains unattractive to high-end free agents. 

I'm fine with certain free agent types not wanting to be here. The kind that are ring shopping and want to hitch an easy ride. Give me the hard guys, especially the ones that feel they have been overlooked and disrespected. The ones who want to show the world something.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Thanks, that my entire and only point.

Somebody earlier in the thread provided solid info on our visitor facility being the worst in the league. If so, I simply don't get it. Just update, to take that strike - as relatively minor as it may be - away.

Maybe we should also give them parting gifts, but NOT snow shovels! 

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

Maybe we should also give them parting gifts, but NOT snow shovels! 

I can see how this thread devolved from a franchise reputation into a regional "brand" thing...and continued down the rabbit hole.

As far as facility upgrades go, I have plenty of friends who are Viking fans and they believe to a man that their years of franchise failures can be traced back to their team moving into a "cushy" dome in '81. I have been in their new US Bank Stadium (1.057 billion dollars) a few times and everything about it is top notch, but it has not translated into more wins for their franchise so maybe there is something to it.

As a business move the facility does generate a lot of revenue hosting a lot of events like the Superbowl for one...but I cannot say it has done anything for them as a team.

Green Bay fans cite the decline of the Vikings as a dominant post-season team as the reason they will never go dome and give up that home field advantage of the elements and such, but they still attract talent even without all the amenities. When it comes down to it, having a winning program and reputation is probably the most important factor for franchises competing for talent.

It did make me think, could you imagine the Bud Grant of old  trying to ban today's athletes from wearing gloves or having heaters on the sidelines...outside in Minnesota in January... not so much.

3 hours ago, Nelius said:

The city and region is a legit impediment as is 1 playoff game in 18 years. Talent level is a concern for every team.

This debate that our visitors locker room is a serious impediment to attracting free agents makes me worry about what this board will debate until opening day next year.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think that renovating the visitor's locker room would be a bad idea.  It would be advetisement for prospective FAs.  And how much would it cost, compared to the money being thrown around these days?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Eifert is uninformed and I don’t want his son on the Bills anyway. Multiple serious injuries have sapped him of his athletic ability. 

The Bills root problem is poor drafting due to the wrong GM choices. The wrong GM does not acquire a viable Coach, Quarterback or players on the cutting edge of the league.

Beane is the first GM with no connection to Ralph Wilson/Russ Brandon and they have taken a real swing at Quarterback.

Now to Free Agency. While it’s not the primary way to properly build the team, I think the Bills have done well over the years.

Mario Williams produced 40+ sacks in 4 years here, Alexander has produced 20+ sacks, Incognito made two Pro Bowls, Hyde and Poyer have been Day One starters. Bush is a competent NFL backup, Clay has been so-so, but the Bills haven’t been able to find a replacement in 3-4 years. 

When the Billd don’t hit on Free Agents, it has not been disastrous. Joe Webb, Mike Tolbert, Vlad Duccasse, Star L, Trent Murphy. 

Supposed laughing stock signings like Anquan Boldin or Vontae Davis never really got started to hurt much at all. 

Overall I am making the case that the Bills have done better than average in Free Agency  over the years. Sure Derrick Dockery was a big miss, but guys like London Fletcher and Takeo Spikes were hits. The GMs for the Bills over the years did damage to the team by letting those guys walk. 

Reputation on is not reality. 

Man your hits and misses list is basically old regime vs new. That doesn't bode well for the future.

I cant believe a thread where a guy cites his wife was working out with Tyler Eiferts dad, and he goes on about facilities has gone on this long.

None of the responses have any sources, as far as how bad the locker rooms or facilities are. This thread is grade a garbage. 

Who is this guy and his wife recruiting free agents to Buffalo, and why does he think he is anyone that a free agent would listen to?

If you actually met Eifferts dad, he probably was just saying stuff to be left alone.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I cant believe a thread where a guy cites his wife was working out with Tyler Eiferts dad, and he goes on about facilities has gone on this long.

None of the responses have any sources, as far as how bad the locker rooms or facilities are. This thread is grade a garbage. 

Who is this guy and his wife recruiting free agents to Buffalo, and why does he think he is anyone that a free agent would listen to?

If you actually met Eifferts dad, he probably was just saying stuff to be left alone.

The video I posted above shows how good the facilities are. McD says the locker room is like the Hall of Fame.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, from_dunkirk said:

The video I posted above shows how good the facilities are. McD says the locker room is like the Hall of Fame.

I know they are good. They did the same thing the hockey team. I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm disagreeing with others talking about how they are worse than Oakland and a players vote in 06 said this but can't source it.

Can anyone explain to me why they started saying eiffert doesn't know what he is talking about or this, that, and the other about the dude based off the OP?

He said him and his wife always recruit FA's to come to Buffalo lol. Who has he recruited and why would they listen? It's borderline delusional.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can’t open it. Did they show the visitors’ locker room?

Has the visitors locker room been a thing? Or has it just been invented in this thread?

And edit- I'm pretty sure they don't show the visitors locker room I just didn't click because I think I watched the video when it was released. I know the Bills have a good facility. This thread seems like much ado about nothing.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

I think it comes down to the player. Either money or a chance at a Superbowl or even how the team is playing at the time. Like I bet free agent o lineman are telling thier agents to talk to Beane cuz the bills are gonna PAY some lineman if they are available. And with our rising star QB and lack of competition, receivers might be attracted to buffalo. But would any rbs be excited to come to buffalo after watching shady struggle? 

I think providing a good chance to win and excel at their position with good coaching will trump the facilities. Bills are not quite there yet. In a few years, if the Bills are good and Josh Allen is playing well, I think you’ll see guys taking a look at the Bills as a good place to land. 

14 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Just this morning, my wife was working out with Greg Eiffert (Tyler's dad). Of course, we always try to encourage opportunities to land quality free agents. Greg argued that the Bills facilities are the worst in the league. Why would Tyler want to go there, he asked.

This is a good example of how poor the Bills reputation is among those players who have not spent time there. They just see the old stadium and assume everything else is outdated as well. We all know that is not at all the case. Going back to the Wilson regime, yes, it was the case. However, the Pegulas have spent a ton of money outfitting the facilities with state of the art technology. The is evidenced by the building of the new health and sports medicine facility that we learned about this past summer. I haven't been inside the facilities (except the fan-accessible portion) in many years, as I no longer reside in WNY. But, I do keep my eye on what's going on inside from my old friends that still work there.

I found this very interesting. I'd enjoy hearing your comments.

His dad wouldn't know but his agent does and we have money and a  better QB, so they will come.

however Eiffert is injured a lot and wouldn't pay premium for him.

11 hours ago, Nelius said:

Whenever these arguments come up people always view through their personal lens and casually ignore the fact that they're not multimillionaire mega-athletes.

"That place has running water and air conditioning! I worked 20 years for air conditioning! What more do they expect?!"

It's not an accurate frame of reference in the slightest. 

Yep.

14 hours ago, eball said:

I guess that’s what an agent’s job is? 

Unless an agent has his own agenda between two or more close deals. I dont understand how nobody else can see a nice visiting locker room setting our perceived image apart from other teams. If anyone thinks a scummy visiting locker room is winning us game somehow than why hasnt it worked lol. No brainer money to spend here

15 hours ago, Doc said:

If the visiting locker room truly is terrible, that’s not smart on the part of the Bills and explains the attitude of other coaches and players.

you think we should make the other team comfortable?  F@&% 'em if they don't like it.

i think we should do like Hayden Fry and paint their locker room pink. It's a calming color.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Well, people can't clog this place up with multiple Tyrod threads anymore, so yea...  

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Doc said:

If the visiting locker room truly is terrible, that’s not smart on the part of the Bills and explains the attitude of other coaches and players.

Maybe Ralph was from the Red Auerbach school of visitor accommodations.  The old Gawden was really hated by visiting players due to non -working heaters and cold water in the showers.  Of course that could’ve backfired by pissing players off and making retaliate on the court

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nelius said:

But there are many (if not all) stadiums that have better visitor facilities. If you're a free agent with multiple options how does that not leave a more positive impression?  You're acting as if free agents have some motivation to really dig and get to know Buffalo, which just isn't realistic, especially if you have multiple options on the table...in warmer climates, in larger cities, with better visitor facilities that left a better impression on you.

My argument is that Buffalo already has some knocks against it - so why not overcompensate and provide the best facilities all-around? Control your controllables, ya know? I don't buy the argument that the visitor locker rooms needs to be a dump like it's some 1970's rural high school showdown. You're not playing mind games with professionals, you're just cultivating the impression that Buffalo is a dump. Just update, I don't refuse to see any valid argument against it.

Fixed it for you.

Since I'm the person that brought up the visiting locker room, let me make this clear:

My point was that it's easy to see how an opposing player would get the idea that Buffalo's facilities are lousy given the condition of what part of them they see.

I didn't say that the visiting locker room would or should prevent a FA from signing here, and I also made it clear that the facilities are among the nicest in the NFL.

I've seen a fair amount of confusion over my comments, so hopefully that clears it up.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They might not be able to do anything about "small", but certainly dilapidated ugly worn and dingy could be addressed.

The new practice facilities are none of the above. They are state of the art. Stadium is old, and yes kinda small, and could use a facelift. But i like small. Keeps ticket prices affordable, and easier to keep stadium noise levels up in an open air stadium.

• Like (+1) 1