Mack Traded!!!!!!!

39 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Adam SchefterVerified account @AdamSchefter 54s54 seconds ago

Khalil Mack and the Bears just reached agreeement on a record-setting 6-year, $141 million extension ($23.5M per year avg) that includes $90M guaranteed and $60M at signing, source tells ESPN. Mack is the new highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

1 reply 51 retweets 19 likes

...so Mack and Donald just raked in $250 mil or one-quarter BILLION bucks?......crazy...............

11 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I know Oakland fans must feel sick right now. But long-term the Raiders may have last laugh. Thats a lot of picks, and possibly high 1st rd picks, bc i dont think the Bears will win more than 7 games. 

No similar trade has ever succeeded.  It’s simply no way to build a winning team in the NFL.  Bears should have learned after giving Denver two firsts for Smokin’ Jay a few years back,

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I knew a team would do it, I just knew it wouldn’t be us. The Bills almost never draft good players but they act like draft picks are more important then having proven talent.

This was a generational talent LB that they could pare with Edmunds.   We totally lack a pass rush.  Giving up 2 1st for him is not bad.  You can get OL help and WR help in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.   We should have made the trade, and beat the Bears by including McCarron.  

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

No similar trade has ever succeeded.  It’s simply no way to build a winning team in the NFL.  Bears should have learned after giving Denver two firsts for Smokin’ Jay a few years back,

Smoking Jay is not Mack.   And they are not building the team with Mack, rather filling a hole and putting pressure on Rodgers, etc.  Great trade, IMO.  One we should have made.  

This is more akin to giving up two 1st for Bruce Smith, etc.  

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

This was a generational talent LB that they could pare with Edmunds.   We totally lack a pass rush.  Giving up 2 1st for him is not bad.  You can get OL help and WR help in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.   We should have made the trade, and beat the Bears by including McCarron.  

Smoking Jay is not Mack.   And they are not building the team with Mack, rather filling a hole and putting pressure on Rodgers, etc.  Great trade, IMO.  One we should have made.  

....two 1sts AND $141 mil?........at OBD?..........McBeane?.........

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....two 1sts AND $141 mil?........at OBD?..........McBeane?.........

not saying McBeane would do it, only that he should have done it.  We have a rookie QB, rookie MLB, and tons of cap space and the cap goes up every year.  For the best defensive player since Watt in his prime, yeah, you do that.  

As great as Edmunds is/will be, Mack is great now.  Having them together would have been fantastic.  And we need OL, WR, etc. help next year.  Something that can easily be found in Round 2 onward.  

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Somewhere upthread someone listed all of the veteran players traded for at least two first round picks.  Not one of those trades (there are about 10) worked out even remotely well for the team giving up picks.  And I guarantee they all thought they were getting a proven all-pro.  What could go wrong?

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Why wasn’t Bennett listed as one of those players traded for multiple ones? Because he hadn’t played in the league yet?

Must be.  Dickerson of course was part of the Bennett trade.

But look at that list.  Not a good trade in the bunch.

Edited by mannc
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

And I guarantee they all thought they were getting a proven all-pro.  What could go wrong?

A lot of fans only picture the best-case scenario in these trades. It's easy to like the trade if you imagine getting an All-Pro every year for the next 6 years or someone who will get 15 sacks a year for the next 5 years (suggested in this thread). But that's not realistic at all. His production will fade as he ages. If you want to weigh the scenario appropriately, then at least consider the worst-case along with the best-case. What if he blows out his knee or pops an Achilles and never returns to form? Congrats! You just sabotaged your franchise for the next half-decade.

Chicago fans will be celebrating Mack this season for sure, but get back to me in 3 years and we'll see how they feel then. These moves typically don't work out in the long run, and they aren't getting any major reinforcements via the draft in the next two years....

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Nobody knows any of this. Haven’t people learned yet to not get wrapped up in preseason? What are we basing this on? The last meaningful games that this team played, was from a playoff season. I also fully expect Peterman to start, to play well and to keep the job. For this year anyway.

Telling people not to get wrapped up in preseason yet you expect Peterman to play well.  Based on what?  He picked apart some scrubs in preseason.  Yay.  Changed QB for sure.  I like the kid.  I just don't think he is going to do any better than Fitzpatrick did.

This is going to be a very interesting trade to revisit in 3 years time. It could very well work out well for one or both teams, be a disaster for one/both or land somewhere in the middle. 

I am not sure why Ryan Pace seems so sold on this current Bears team. Yeah, he added talent this offseason. But they are still an unproven team in my eyes, with an unproven QB that you hope turns into a franchise guy but definitely isn’t there yet. 

But, his record is something like 14-34 as a GM, so he may not be too worried about 2-3 yearsdown the line atm. 

reading through these posts, the main issue I have is the people that argue that "we should have done it." By all accounts, we definitely talked with Oakland about trading for Mack, but knowing what they got from the Bears lets play this scenario out.

The Bears are offering us two 1st round picks and a third round pick, etc.  We have to BEAT that. How do we beat that? Two 1st round picks and a second round pick? THREE 1st round picks?

What if the Raiders valued the Bears 1st round picks more than the Bills? What if they anticipate that they're going to have higher draft picks for the next couple of years?

Many people keep saying "we should have done it" like we were 100% in control of the situation and there weren't 6 other teams or more involved in trade talks. We were involved and it didn't work out. I would be completely upset if we didn't at least try to trade for him, but that doesn't appear to be the case. So why are people upset?

Edited by bobobonators
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bobobonators said:

reading through these posts, the main issue I have is the people that argue that "we should have done it." By all accounts, we definitely talked with Oakland about trading for Mack, but knowing what they got from the Bears lets play this scenario out.

The Bears are offering us two 1st round picks and a third round pick, etc.  We have to BEAT that. How do we beat that? Two 1st round picks and a second round pick? THREE 1st round picks?

What if the Raiders valued the Bears 1st round picks more than the Bills? What if they anticipate that they're going to have higher draft picks for the next couple of years?

Many people keep saying "we should have done it" like we were 100% in control of the situation and there weren't 6 other teams or more involved in trade talks. We were involved and it didn't work out. I would be completely upset if we didn't at least try to trade for him, but that doesn't appear to be the case. So why are people upset?

That’s where Mack comes into play.  If the offers are the same, Mack pry gets to choose because his agent has to inform the teams he’s willing to sign the extension first 

• Like (+1) 1

Barnwell: Answering Biggest Questions on Khalil Mack Trade

This is an enormous bet from both sides. The Bears are assuredly about to hand Mack a blank check, while the trade suggests that the Raiders' checkbook might be under lock and key. So many questions came to mind as I tried to figure out this swap. Let's go through them and see what we can figure out about the biggest trade in recent league history.

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Would be interested to see how the money would have been made to work. So the Bears, Jests and us. Two AFC teams vs one NFC team. Makes sense. Have to presume McC was part of this trade.

13 hours ago, bobobonators said:

The way you beat it is by eliminating every part of the trade except the 2 1st rounders. The Bears actually got more than Mack out of the deal. They turned a 3rd into a 2nd and a 6th into a 5th. If you offer 2 1st rounders with nothing else that should have been enough to beat their offer. I wouldn't have done that though.

9 hours ago, papazoid said:

Mack is a sure thing

He actually isn't a sure thing. The post from QCity on the last page is right. Maybe he blows out a knee, maybe he suddenly gets lazy, maybe he plays great for two years then hits a wall. Maybe he plays like JJ Watt in his prime for the next 6 years but the rest of the defense sucks and your franchise QB turns out to be a bust and you don't have 1st round picks to improve those aspects of the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just out of curiosity....................

Most people on here think the Bills are going to be bad and if the Bills are going to be bad..............

Why the heck would they give up two first rounders and a boatload of contract for ONE player, when they need many?

This doesn't make any sense, for the folks who think the Bills are awful.

Even if you think the Bills are going to be good, this is still an insane trade for the Bills to make, along with an insane contract.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

not saying McBeane would do it, only that he should have done it.  We have a rookie QB, rookie MLB, and tons of cap space and the cap goes up every year.  For the best defensive player since Watt in his prime, yeah, you do that.  

As great as Edmunds is/will be, Mack is great now.  Having them together would have been fantastic.  And we need OL, WR, etc. help next year.  Something that can easily be found in Round 2 onward.  

It will be impossible for Mack to ever live up to that contract, let alone the draft capital traded for him... Raiders won the trade hands down imo

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It will be impossible for Mack to ever live up to that contract, let alone the draft capital traded for him... Raiders won the trade hands down imo

Yeah it's going to be tough.

I mean if you're the bears and you think you're a SB contender for 2018-2022 then I get why they did it.

Mack is legit elite and game changing.

The issue is the draft picks PLUS the contract.

If he's anything short of HoF caliber play for 4+ years straight then they got completely robbed.

If they win a SB with him dominating though, nothing else matters.

Bears get:
Khalil Mack
2020 2nd round 
2020 conditional 5th

Raiders get:
2019 1st
2019 3rd
2020 1st
2020 6th

20 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

The old adage says the team that gets the best player wins the trade. 

Right now, that’s the Bears, hands down.

If and when one of the picks acquired by Oakland ends up being better than Mack, then we can say the Raiders won the trade. The odds are against it, though. 

17 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I disagree.  Why shell out all that cap going forward and those picks for any superstar on Defense?  How often does that work out?

Suh, Haynesworth, Mario--all traded for huge money and all did nothing for the fortunes of the teams that signed them.  Even the Broncos, who re-signed Von Miller have since seen their defense go from 4th in points surrendered to 22nd.

People are saying Gruen was crazy for trading Mack. I disagree.  He got 2 first round picks out of Chicago---at team that will not one one extra gam because of Mack.  If their QB situation tanks, they are screwed, no matter if Mack makes it back to even 12 sacks a year.  Bears won't have any relief in the draft going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

when we had a chance to draft Kahlil Mack, but instead drafted Sammy Watkins?  ?

Burned 2 firsts and a fourth on that guy....all while we could have just sat where we were at 9 and taken some stiff named Odell Beckham, Jr.

And many here thought Doug Whaley was a good GM.

:sick:

• Like (+1) 1