Mack Traded!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

God you don’t get it and just ignore what I said. Very very good talent evaluator. 

I get exactly what you said, we disagree. So many bad player decisions. A horribly written contract by overrating Darius and signing him to that ridiculous contract and other cash payouts crippled the Bills.  I think the rest of the world agrees with me, or otherwise he would have secured another GM position. Where is he now?

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m telling you, the fans here aren’t ready for what is going to happen this season.  Lots of folks preaching patience in this thread will be the first to start panicking after a winless September.

I'm finally at a point where I almost don't want us to win a lot of games. When watching each game individually I'll still be rooting for a win but deep down I know a top 5 pick next year would set us up for the future and this year is a wash anyways. When I look at the roster I really think the best decision is play Peterman all year and if it turns into losses so be it... we need to be patient. A top 3 pick next year + $60 million in cap space + the hopeful franchise QB in waiting is the best case scenario.

Edited by HappyDays

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

OK, so in other words, every receiver in the league except for 10 or less can be had for a 1st round pick, but 1st round picks aren't that important? I'm having a hard time believing in your "logic" here.

What is hard to understand? If you wanted to trade for a good WR, you could get almost anyone for a first. There are very few WRs that you couldn’t get for a first round pick. Probably less then 10 in the whole league. I was saying “I”don’t think the picks are as important as the teams do. And that I wish the Bills would be willing to move a pick to get a real good proven WR. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What is hard to understand? If you wanted to trade for a good WR, you could get almost anyone for a first. There are very few WRs that you couldn’t get for a first round pick. Probably less then 10 in the whole league. I was saying “I”don’t think the picks are as important as the teams do. And that I wish the Bills would be willing to move a pick to get a real good proven WR. 

You fail to comprehend my point. On the one hand you say that you could get almost anyone for a first round pick. On the other hand you say that first round picks aren't all that important. To continue with your way of thinking, then your first round pick that isn't all that important can be used to get a good WR. How is that first round pick then not important?

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yet another good angle.  The Bills have one huge problem in the division and it’s number 12 - Mack would have helped solve that problem.

I’m telling you, the fans here aren’t ready for what is going to happen this season.  Lots of folks preaching patience in this thread will be the first to start panicking after a winless September.

There is zero that the Bills can do about “ number 12” without having an elite QB , for starters.They need to find out about Allen.  Then a quality WR corps and at least a decent OL. The Bills have managed to defeat Brady twice in 17 seasons. They’ve had a good pass rush in some of those. It’s not nearly enough. Anyway, this rebuild is only in year two and is on a timeline coinciding with Brady being out of the division and league. They can’t derail their plan over a single player that is already 27. It seems they offered something they could live with, and were turned down. The Bills will almost certainly be picking in the top 10 if not the top 5 next year. Any Bills fan that panics after a bad start this year is delusional. There’s little talent on this roster, and plugging in a Mack at a huge cost would be a mistake. This team needs to be built around its own stars that they draft themselves. If the FO cannot do this, they will be fired and replaced. Mack would have fit best on a team ready to make a run, but the Bears are a large market team and are further along than the Bills. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cage said:

I think after the way they've played the last two weeks it crystalized to Beane that our first rounder next year might be a top 5 pick

I'd like to think that Beane's been around long enough to know that pre-season is a terrible indicator of how you are going to play during the season.

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This team has exactly one star player who is probably in his last year here.  They have massive holes along the offensive line, secondary, receiver and linebacking positions that have persisted for two offseasons.  They had no problem overspending for defensive line help but the two veterans they overpaid for look like they may be out of gas.  They are shaping up as a 3-4 win team this season.  It’s time for this first-time GM to start showing some roster-building ability.

Then using this logic and 2018 win projection, why in the world would you trade two No. 1s for one player, when there are many many roster holes?Never mind that the ownership is also wary that he will hold out again.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

Then using this logic and 2018 win projection, why in the world would you trade two No. 1s for one player, when there are many many roster holes?Never mind that the ownership is also wary that he will hold out again.

Because you should be using free agency to fill holes, not the draft.  The Bills’ biggest hole is talent - they have exactly one proven playmaker.

5 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

That defense was terrible, but he put up 10+ for the last three years. 

Chicago is a much better situation. 

Maybe so, but I suspect that people in Oakland believe Mack’s play dropped off a bit last year.  I don’t watch enough Raiders games to say...

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You fail to comprehend my point. On the one hand you say that you could get almost anyone for a first round pick. On the other hand you say that first round picks aren't all that important. To continue with your way of thinking, then your first round pick that isn't all that important can be used to get a good WR. How is that first round pick then not important?

Because that’s not how they are used. We treat those picks in a way that makes us afraid to let them go. They rarely end up resulting in a good pick anyway. Good NFL players are traded for mid round draft picks. I would be more willing to trade picks for proven NFL talent, then to roll the dice on these draft picks. That’s all I’m saying.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Because you should be using free agency to fill holes, not the draft.  The Bills’ biggest hole is talent - they have exactly one proven playmaker.

Correct and you should be using the draft to build the team in the first place.   This is not '87 when the pieces were already in place and all the team needed was Bennett. 

PS, you don't give up that much draft capital after you just gave up players and picks to get Allen. 

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Bills lack a foundation right now. Can’t build that without picks. The roster is closer to one giant hole than anything else. Mack had value to them and they offered something in line with that price. By the time this team is ready to contend Mack will be close to 30. 

7 minutes ago, mannc said:

Maybe so, but I suspect that people in Oakland believe Mack’s play dropped off a bit last year.  I don’t watch enough Raiders games to say...

Let's say your right. With what we've seen from historically, that could be his floor. 

If his floor is 10 sacks and a Pro Bowl, sign me up! 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

58 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

That's more than a reasonable offer, and anyone who says otherwise is a !@#$ing idiot.

For sure, the Bills did what they could. They made a solid offer. It wasn’t enough but no one should be mad at them. He didn’t go for a 5th while they sat on their hands. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Because that’s not how they are used. We treat those picks in a way that makes us afraid to let them go. They rarely end up resulting in a good pick anyway. Good NFL players are traded for mid round draft picks. I would be more willing to trade picks for proven NFL talent, then to roll the dice on these draft picks. That’s all I’m saying.

Who is this “ we” you speak of ? The Bills FO and staff has been here all of one year. Apparently you have their entire plan and M.O figured out already. One thing they haven’t shown is unwillingness to part with draft picks. They’ve traded many already. This team has many holes as they are only in year two of a teardown/ rebuild project. A surprise playoff appearance in the teardown year shouldn’t overshadow the larger goal/ task at hand. Long term contention, centering around Josh Allen is what they’re after here. Too many missing parts to pay a ransom for one , albeit great D player. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

So, what you are saying is that good NFL players can be had for mid round draft picks but 1st round picks aren't all that important? No matter how many times you try to reframe your premise you're really just saying the same thing.

First round draft picks are important, whether you use them to trade for a talented player or use them to draft a top notch prospect. Can a mistake be made? Of course. It's not the draft pick's fault though.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

They were drafted bu this regime. You can try and play that game all you want 

You usually deal in reality. You are the one playing fantasy games. Beane was not involved in that draft. Saying it is so does not make it so. His first Buffalo draft was this year, and even you should be able to admit the preseason is too early to judge the quality of the draft. Make a statement in November about his first draft and it might have some significance then.

Edited by simpleman

22 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I'd argue that we currently have too many holes and if we sign someone like Mack, we can't use FA to fill all these holes; and we won't be able to use the draft to fill these holes b/c we traded our picks for Mack.

I would've been OK with a first round pick + Hughes for Mack b/c I agree that a talent like Mack is the whole purpose of having 1st round picks; But two first round picks + more is too much for a team like the Bills.

We have a swiss cheese O-line - we need to upgrade at least 2 spots on the OL with very high draft picks. We drafted Allen high, we need to give him talent around him.

We need an upgrade at WR

McCoy's reign is also probably coming to an end.

It wouldn't feel right if the Bills traded away that much.

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1