Mack Traded!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Think about all of our 1st round picks over the last 15 years. How many pairs of them would you take over Mack? People need to stop overvaluing draft picks. Get good players. We have plenty of draft picks left over after these trades and we never pick the right guys anyway.

I know, right? I mean, we just spent two first round picks on Allen and Edmunds, and everyone knows they are both complete busts.

McBeane must go! Gut the whole place!. Start again! Get in a new GM and coach so we can start predicting failure  on a new crop of people!

I swear, sometimes...

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills lack a foundation right now. Can’t build that without picks. The roster is closer to one giant hole than anything else. Mack had value to them and they offered something in line with that price. By the time this team is ready to contend Mack will be close to 30. 

I really see this so much differently than most of you.  You have your QB.  Passrusher is the next most important position.  You have the chance to add your first blue chip player in what - two plus decades? - who also happens to be a local star whose merch will fly off the shelves.  NOW is exactly the time to make a bold move like this.  Still have plenty of cap room next offseason to add offensive linemen and a corner.

Whereas the Corey Coleman move - trade a pick and salary for a two-week tryout of a high draft pick - is the kind of move you make when you have very few holes on the roster and you’re contending and looking for some depth for the title run...

In my view Beane (and some of you) has it backwards.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Glad the Bills didnt get into a bidding war.  The Bears got absolutely fleeced.  The market for Mack should have been closer to what the Patriots got for Chandler Jones and that wasnt even a first.

Only a few players in the league are worth more than one first and they are both quarterbacks.  If Trubisky sucks the Bears will have a long hole to climb out of 

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I really see this so much differently than most of you.  You have your QB.  Passrusher is the next most important position.  You have the chance to add your first blue chip player in what - two plus decades? - who also happens to be a local star whose merch will fly off the shelves.  NOW is exactly the time to make a bold move like this.

Whereas the Corey Coleman move - trade a pick and salary for a two-week tryout of a high draft pick - is the kind of move you make when you have very few holes on the roster and you’re contending and looking for some depth for the title run...

I'm all-in on Mack-type talent, but lets wait to see what the Bears traded b/c so far I've read it's two first round picks plus more. So the Bills would have to beat that. How much would you want to possibly give up then? 3 first round picks for Mack? At what point does it just get silly?

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Doc said:

How do you figure?  Did they make the playoffs last year?  Has anyone even seen their starting offense in pre-season?

1. Having your QB in place with a year under his belt

2. I assume you saw the Benoit tweet in the thread about their D

3. Which O-line would you want?

we have Shady is about all one can point to for the Bills

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I really see this so much differently than most of you.  You have your QB.  Passrusher is the next most important position.  You have the chance to add your first blue chip player in what - two plus decades? - who also happens to be a local star whose merch will fly off the shelves.  NOW is exactly the time to make a bold move like this.  Still have plenty of cap room next offseason to add offensive linemen and a corner.

Oh, for crying out loud, it's a 7th round pick in 2020...that's practically negative value.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I really see this so much differently than most of you.  You have your QB.  Passrusher is the next most important position.  You have the chance to add your first blue chip player in what - two plus decades?

Very good chance we'll be in a position to draft a blue chip pass rusher next year. And I still would have been fine giving that up for Mack. But we're also talking about losing our 2020 1st rounder and other picks along with it. And close to $25 million in cap space. There's no way you can rationalize that. As much as I wanted Mack it only takes one crazy team to push everyone else out of the running and the Bears were that team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I really see this so much differently than most of you.  You have your QB.  Passrusher is the next most important position.  You have the chance to add your first blue chip player in what - two plus decades? - who also happens to be a local star whose merch will fly off the shelves.  NOW is exactly the time to make a bold move like this.

Coleman wasn’t a move for depth. There is one starter quality WR on this roster. Coleman was a flyer on a guy that might pan out for little cost either way if it didn’t work. Is Mack blue chip ? Absolutely. Pass rushers are important, but Mack wouldn’t get the Bills much closer to contention any time soon. Sure, great splash move and he’d be popular. I wouldn’t hate watching him. Reality is this OL needs at least two stud players, a true star WR will be needed as well. 2019 looks to be a tremdous draft for DL talent and the Bills pick will be a high one. I get trying to draft their own stars at the cornerstone positions and have them on low salaries for awhile while filling holes in FA. That seems to be their template. I’d suspect that if they drafted QB 1 last year and he played substantial time they may have been more willing to part with 2019 first. Just not a fit with their master plan. Mack trade would have seemed Whaley- ish to me. Window dressing so you don’t notice the cracks in the foundation. 

• Like (+1) 1

And of these players, how many went on to have stellar careers that justified the two picks? I would say one: Eric Dickerson. Maybe Keyshawn J and Joey Galloway, maybe Hershal Walker??? That's it!

Edited by CSBill

Just now, HappyDays said:

Very good chance we'll be in a position to draft a blue chip pass rusher next year. And I still would have been fine giving that up for Mack. But we're also talking about losing our 2020 1st rounder and other picks along with it. And close to $25 million in cap space. There's no way you can rationalize that. As much as I wanted Mack it only takes one crazy team to push everyone else out of the running and the Bears were that team.

Exactly. All reports say that the Bills made an offer, so it's not like we sat this one out; but at what point does the asking price just become ridiculous? We can't be swayed by the fact that he played college ball in Buffalo and trade away an entire draft for 1 player plus have his salary eat up 20% of the cap.

I'm sure the bills offered either a 1st and Hughes or maybe a 2019 1st and 2020 2nd round pick.  It looks like the Bears are giving up two 1st round picks plus additional picks or a player, which is kinda crazy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

And of these players, how many went on to have stellar careers that justified the two picks? I would say one: Eric Dickerson. Maybe Kesyshoneand Joey Galloway, maybe Hershal Walker??? That's it!

Well the Herschel Walker trade led to championships.......for Dallas, who traded him. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Bills have their QB? Is that a fact? They have who they believe is their QB and have surrounded him with literally no talent, besides Shady. Yes, Mack is a blue chip player, who played on a team that had their QB and what difference did that make?

Again, I agree with you if this is happening this time, next year and the Bills know what they have in Allen.

8 minutes ago, CSBill said:

And of these players, how many went on to have stellar careers that justified the two picks? I would say one: Eric Dickerson. Maybe Keyshawn J and Joey Galloway, maybe Hershal Walker??? That's it!

Dickerson had one very good year after the trade to Indy.  One.  And they gave up a lot more than two picks for him.  I would say not a single one of those trades worked out well for the team that traded picks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Coleman wasn’t a move for depth. There is one starter quality WR on this roster. Coleman was a flyer on a guy that might pan out for little cost either way if it didn’t work. Is Mack blue chip ? Absolutely. Pass rushers are important, but Mack wouldn’t get the Bills much closer to contention any time soon. Sure, great splash move and he’d be popular. I wouldn’t hate watching him. Reality is this OL needs at least two stud players, a true star WR will be needed as well. 2019 looks to be a tremdous draft for DL talent and the Bills pick will be a high one. I get trying to draft their own stars at the cornerstone positions and have them on low salaries for awhile while filling holes in FA. That seems to be their template. I’d suspect that if they drafted QB 1 last year and he played substantial time they may have been more willing to part with 2019 first. Just not a fit with their master plan. Mack trade would have seemed Whaley- ish to me. Window dressing so you don’t notice the cracks in the foundation. 

I get what you’re saying.  I could argue it both ways.  There are also multiple ways to win - this certainly doesn’t keep the Bills from winning, if they use their cap and pick resources the right way going forward.  I just think - once you have your QB, start stockpiling talent.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Aaron Donald just did.  So did O’Dell.

Both in their 5th year option year. Try again

1 hour ago, simpleman said:

You usually deal in reality. You are the one playing fantasy games. Beane was not involved in that draft. Saying it is so does not make it so. His first Buffalo draft was this year, and even you should be able to admit the preseason is too early to judge the quality of the draft. Make a statement in November about his first draft and it might have some significance then.

Where did i say Beane. I said Regime did I not?  McD is part of this regime is he not?  Ok thanks

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

For all the Whaley hate nobody had more guys play in the nfl than he did compared to any other gm. The guy drafted nfl talent left and right 

Been saying this for years. He knew who belonged in this league and drafted NFL talent. If one of those happened to be a QB, he'd still be here.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Been saying this for years. He knew who belonged in this league and drafted NFL talent. If one of those happened to be a QB, he'd still be here.

He was a terrible GM and you Whaley apologists are clowns.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, what you are saying is that good NFL players can be had for mid round draft picks but 1st round picks aren't all that important? No matter how many times you try to reframe your premise you're really just saying the same thing.

First round draft picks are important, whether you use them to trade for a talented player or use them to draft a top notch prospect. Can a mistake be made? Of course. It's not the draft pick's fault though.

Let’s just end this. You arent getting my point. I’m barely grasping yours. It really doesn’t matter. I think NFL teams overvalue draft picks and undervalue proven veterans. Thats the extent of it.

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Let’s just end this. You arent getting my point. I’m barely grasping yours. It really doesn’t matter. I think NFL teams overvalue draft picks and undervalue proven veterans. Thats the extent of it.

I agree with that. Teams would rather gamble on a RB in the top 5 than trade  the pick for Adrian Peterson on his prime. It's overwhelmingly rare to get more back for a player that actually proved he was a stud. I've never understood it, because really, what are these teams hoping to land?

Edited by BullBuchanan

45 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Whaley was above average identifier of talent. He was good at getting the necessary ingredients. Just didn’t seem to have a clear cut plan.  He needed someone to tell him if they were making chili or beef stew. 

18 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

I think Chicago would have traded their entire draft to make sure GB didn’t get Mack. Mack is an outstanding talent, but those lost picks are really gonna hurt if Tribuski doesn’t pan out

This is what’s being lost on many. Bears are dreaming of the day they can compete with Rodgers and the Pack. They may be a little closer than people think, and  they were willing to vastly overpay to keep him away from their rival. It’s still the best known rivalry in the history of the NFL. 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m glad he’s in the nfc and as awesome as it would have been, I think he’s more of a guy you go after at that price when you are ready to contend, not when you need your picks to build around your qb. Bears are a year ahead of us on the rebuild. 

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I'm just glad it was to a NFC team.

Cuts both ways for me.  Glad he is out of the conference but not thrilled that an AFC competitor has 4 first round picks in 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

I like big names and big deals as much as the next guy but I am not upset it wasn't us. Sometimes your team gets better by watching the other teams implode. 

This is a move for teams in contention for a SB. Does Chicago really think they are close? The Bears are notoriously dumb for always paying retail.

As for Oakland, they have signaled that they are not in win now mode. Gruden is an over rated gas bag who has only ever had success with veterans selected by someone else. If I'm David Carr, I'm looking for an exit. 

I was having flashbacks of the Mario Williams deal which amounted to nothing. 

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yet another good angle.  The Bills have one huge problem in the division and it’s number 12 - Mack would have helped solve that problem.

I’m telling you, the fans here aren’t ready for what is going to happen this season.  Lots of folks preaching patience in this thread will be the first to start panicking after a winless September.

Do ou remember the Bills leading the league in sacks for a couple of seasons (2013 and 2014 to be exact) - what was their record versus Brady?  1-3 with the lone win being the las game of 2014 where they pulled Brady at the half because everything was sewn up.

Teams get very little pressure on Brady and Mack would not have solved that poblem.  He might help against the Jets or the Dolphins, but Mack makes no difference against the quick passing of Brady.

• Like (+1) 1