Mack Traded!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This team has exactly one star player who is probably in his last year here.  They have massive holes along the offensive line, secondary, receiver and linebacking positions that have persisted for two offseasons.  They had no problem overspending for defensive line help but the two veterans they overpaid for look like they may be out of gas.  They are shaping up as a 3-4 win team this season.  It’s time for this first-time GM to start showing some roster-building ability.

And one DE that strips you of assets to fill the massive holes on OL, Secondary, WR and LBer as you say help how?

2 minutes ago, George C said:

NO, he didn’t. Other choices like head coach, continuing by doubling down with a flawed EJ. , and ofcourse giving up two firsts for the third best reciever in that draft...while ironically ......passing on Mack. Sorry, we totally disagree, and so do 31 other NFL owners who don’t want his services as GM. 

Yes he did. It’s a fact that during his tenure more guys played in the nfl than other gms. It’s not something you can deny. Guys that went on to play on other rosters as well. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes they are. The 5th year option is meant to do exactly what these players have done. 

One team re-signed the other by reports flipped the player for alot of assets 

Spot on. For the 5th year, the Raiders walk away with an enormous ENORMOUS  haul...

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The bears will never once regret or care about the 2 guys they won’t pick now.

If Trubisky isn't good Mack won't change anything for them. In 2021 Trubisky will have played 3 seasons and if they need to hedge their bets with a new QB they won't be able to get one. It also isn't a guarantee that their defense will be good. The Raiders defense has been terrible the last few years because Mack was all they had. I would have given a single 1st for Mack but a team with an unproven QB situation shouldn't be taking risks that far into the future.

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Nobody knows any of this. Haven’t people learned yet to not get wrapped up in preseason? What are we basing this on? The last meaningful games that this team played, was from a playoff season. I also fully expect Peterman to start, to play well and to keep the job. For this year anyway.

If Peterman plays well obviously that changes a lot.

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Yes he did. It’s a fact that during his tenure more guys played in the nfl than other gms. It’s not something you can deny. Guys that went on to play on other rosters as well. 

We sure had a lot of his dumpster diving specials wear our uniform, I agree.

His best record with all of that discarded trash from other teams? Yeah, don’t bother...

Edited by George C

6 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The cost control matters when a guy is good. Shaq Lawson and EJ Manuel were very recent firsts that we had cost control over. How much is that helping us? Had it over Sammy too.  Cost control is wonderful when you get lucky and actually hit on a real good player like Russel Wilson. Then it mattered. Now it has had a reverse effect and destroyed that entire team.

Funny how it worked out for the Raiders with Mack  too. Obj...Donald....When you get a great player in round 1, they are going to make you pay them more. So the cost control point just really doesn’t matter that much to me. I will take the guy that I know is great already, over question marks. I know it doesn’t work that way. The NFL overvalues draft picks in a sickening way. Good players get traded for mid round picks. It’s mind boggling. After round 2, the entire draft of a crap shoot. The bears will never once regret or care about the 2 guys they won’t pick now.

Lets see history says this will hurt bears more than help them

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Think about all of our 1st round picks over the last 15 years. How many pairs of them would you take over Mack? People need to stop overvaluing draft picks. Get good players. We have plenty of draft picks left over after these trades and we never pick the right guys anyway.

Draft picks are just opportunities. The odds of finding a player trending towards a gold jacket are rare, especially one like Mack who brings elite production against the run and pass. 

It's an expensive deal for the Bears, but I don't see how you can price a truly elite player for anything less than 2 firsts. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's the 2-1sts and a player that makes it a lot different.

Yes. The similarity is in the impact the player will have on the team. Mario came in and played well for two years but it didn't make a difference in the win column. Mack would likely have the same impact here. Possibly even less with such young QBs. Would have been a bad trade for us.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yep.  If teams are thinking they have guys under cost control until they hit UFA, they have another thing coming.

Really??  But they actually do. For four years. That 5th year option it a trigger point and what is was designed to be. 

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I don't see this as all that different than when we signed Mario to a a huge contract in free agency. At least with the Mario signing we didn't also have to give up two first round picks. And let's face it, better than good chance that this years first would be a top 5 pick. And when we got Mario, he played well for us but did he really end up making a difference in the win/loss column? What are the odds Mack would make a difference the next couple of seasons with our young QB's?

I kind of got triggered by something and went off on a diversion from my actual feelings on Mack. I don’t even really care that much about this exact situation.  I knew all along a team would be willing to play ball and also that it wouldn’t be us. I never even for a second considered it a real possibility. It would be nice to have him but that’s not really what aggrievated me. I just hate the thought that these picks are this important and that the Bears are dumb to give them up. The Bears will be better now, then they were going to be without Mack. I wish the Bills had the same aggression towards gettting better. We have 1 WR that would even see the field for any other team. There are probably less then 10 WRs in the NFL you couldn’t get straight up for a first. I would be exploring trades to get better at that position. Yes we traded for KB, he’s the one good guy we have. Yes we traded for Colman. You also moved up for Zay...Those guys stink. You can’t just give up because you threw a few things at the wall. You don’t stop until the position is acceptable.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yes. The similarity is in the impact the player will have on the team. Mario came in and played well for two years but it didn't make a difference in the win column. Mack would likely have the same impact here. Possibly even less with such young QBs. Would have been a bad trade for us.

I think he would have helped.  The Bills didn't have much on offense last year and I think Peterman will be far better in his 2nd year.  But it's academic now.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Really??  But they actually do. For four years. That 5th year option it a trigger point and what is was designed to be. 

The player can sit out.

Just now, Doc said:

I think he would have helped.  The Bills didn't have much on offense last year and I think Peterman will be far better in his 2nd year.  But it's academic now.

The player can sit out.

A player can destroy his career as well so what is your point again?

The one fanbase this really sucks for is the Packers. A lot of them really thought Mack was a possibility and they're all in on winning now before Rodgers's career is over. Instead they wake up to the news that they have to face him twice a year.

Edited by HappyDays

Just now, Doc said:

"Destroyed his career"?  Yeah, no.

You want to talk hypotheticals about players holding out you also have to talk about destroying their career and career ending injuries otherwise stay out if the hypothetical game

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Did he play after that hold out?  Did he get a new contract to being him back after that holdout?

All I am saying is that when the rookie wage scale came out players played through the 5th year option.  Now players are holding out after year 4.  With Donald holding out after year 3 it potentially creates a slippery slope where guys are either gonna get paid, trade, or just continue the holdout.

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I’m still left scratching my head on why Gruden would let him go.  Bears!  Talk about a dark horse winning the race.

They didn't have the money to pay him what he wanted as it would cripple their cap space. And more importantly, he didn't make their defense that much better last year with him on the team.

The Bills paid 100 million to super Mario and had Dareus, also had the #4 defense in the NFL and still didn't make the playoffs.   

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m glad he’s in the nfc and as awesome as it would have been, I think he’s more of a guy you go after at that price when you are ready to contend, not when you need your picks to build around your qb. Bears are a year ahead of us on the rebuild. 

Plus this.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I heard last night “2 High picks and Hughes.” I suspect that means a 1 and a 2 now. The Raiders turned the offer down but they were still engaged. He liked the idea of the Bills. 

That's more than a reasonable offer, and anyone who says otherwise is a !@#$ing idiot.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

You want to talk hypotheticals about players holding out you also have to talk about destroying their career and career ending injuries otherwise stay out if the hypothetical game

So wait, they'll get career-ending injuries?  WTF?

Just now, Zebrastripes said:

All I am saying is that when the rookie wage scale came out players played through the 5th year option.  Now players are holding out after year 4.  With Donald holding out after year 3 it potentially creates a slippery slope where guys are either gonna get paid, trade, or just continue the holdout.

And yet it didnt. He came in played and held out a 5th year option (players do that with Tag as well). 

So again no new deal so was cost controlled for four years and had a trigger point. 

He got re-signed

Mack used his trigger point and got traded 

OBJ used his trigger point (showed up to camp) got extended 

so to say anything different is hypocritical and speculation 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

So wait, they'll get career-ending injuries?  WTF?

Sure that is just as much speculation as Mack getting 15 sacks a year for the Bears. 

Specially when Offenses are scheming out the impact of one pass rusher 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

The Bills are in the process of a rebuild we aren’t the type of team that can make this move. We need to build a roster not just plug a star into a shaky roster. The cap hit and the loss of most of our draft cache would have tanked us. 

Exactly. This would have been a move that a Rex/Whaley bandaid team would have made. I'm glad they didn't do it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Good take here by Spotrac IMO.

I see the Bills and Bears as being in the same place honestly. A young unproven QB and a lot of holes. After the Mack contract they'll have less than $5 million in cap space this year but they'll have over $25 million next year after a lot of their dead cap goes away. Actually there's a better argument to be made that the Bills were in a better spot to get Mack because right now we're projected to have $60 million in cap space next year.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Sure that is just as much speculation as Mack getting 15 sacks a year for the Bears 

I agree that Mack getting 15 sacks a year is speculation, as is predicting a career-ending injury. I'm saying that players and their agents are demanding huge new deals well before their 5th year arrives.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I see the Bills and Bears as being in the same place honestly. A young unproven QB and a lot of holes. After the Mack contract they'll have less than $5 million in cap space this year but they'll have over $25 million next year after a lot of their dead cap goes away. Actually there's a better argument to be made that the Bills were in a better spot to get Mack because right now we're projected to have $60 million in cap space next year.

The Bears have much better weapons on offense with a completely revamped receiveing corps that are ready and in place fot Trubisky. 

• Like (+1) 1