Aaron Williams Announces His Retirement via The Players' Tribune

1-31: Former Bills' DB Aaron Williams on the John Murphy Show (12:52)

1-31: Former Bills' DB Aaron Williams on Schopp and the Bulldog (21:02)

Check out some of the top plays from Aaron Williams' six-year career with the Bills.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Happy to see him hang up his cleats. Great person and player with an incredible passion for the game, but he is one hit from life in a wheelchair. Always will be a big AW fan.

Edit: That was a great piece of writing. Jut reiterated my above sentiments.

Edited by MiltonWaddams

sad how it can end so fast.  lucky for him he got to his 2nd contract and made some money.  most guys don't make it that far.  hopefully he comes back to buffalo and does something to stay connected to the team and the area

Serious question, I know he had some bad injuries, but is he not cleared to play? He's still relatively young. Why can't he play football? Yes he had a neck injury, but is his particular injury un healable? 

Edited by Steptide

What a great read this was. Thanks for your service AW and good luck in your future endeavors:

That was the moment when I started to look at myself — like really look at myself — for the first time since I had gotten to Buffalo. I thought about all the things I was doing. If this kid saw me trying to fight fans on Twitter, or staying out late at the club, or giving anything less that everything I had to this football team and this city … would he still want to be like me?

Sure makes you realize how some individuals underperform for immature reasons, yet can turn things around in ways that aren't always clear to us. Even just a change of scenery can do it (*cough* Dareus).

"See … in my mind, I didn’t realize that Buffalo wasn’t the problem. I was the problem."

This seems to be a recurring issue with our young stars. Same thing happened with Sammy and Dareus, and even Marrone to a lesser extent. And now they've all moved elsewhere and realized it was on them. OBD needs to do something to nip this in the bud, asap.

Great article/letter though. Very insightful. I wish nothing but the best for AW.

• Like (+1) 1

And finally … to the Bills Mafia … you guys get the last and the biggest thank you of all. You didn’t put up with any of my ****, and I’m better off today because of that. We got off on the wrong foot, and that was on me. But man … I love y’all. And I’ll be back soon to stand amongst you and show love to our Bills as they keep climbing. And when we finally win a Super Bowl — soon — I’ll be able to say that I was a part of the come-up. That even though I wasn’t there when we finally made it back to the playoffs, or when we eventually lift a Lombardi Trophy, I helped put the franchise in position to accomplish those goals.

So again … thank you, Bills Mafia. Because I was born in California and raised in Texas. But Buffalo will always be the place where I grew up — where I became a man. No matter what comes next or where the next chapter of my life takes me, we’ll always have that. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

It's nice to hear about someone having the mental strength to endure the criticism and use it as fuel to improve himself.  I feel like a lot of people, when put in a similar situation, would hold a grudge against the fan base for calling him out.  Not only did he not hold a grudge, but he instead embraced the city for its role in helping him improve.  It just goes to show tremendous strength of character, being able to get past that and then come to love everything about Buffalo.  Great read, wish AW the best! 

But you know what? I remember when I was a little kid, I used to watch that segment they had on ESPN with all the big hits — Jacked Up! or whatever it was called. You probably remember it. I used to replay those hits on YouTube like crazy. And a lot of those hits were like the one Landry laid on me. So I can’t be a hypocrite. I glorified that kind of hit myself growing up. Football’s a violent game. **** happens. I got no ill will towards Landry.

Another example of his strong character.  It would be easy to hate Landry (as much of the Bills fan base does), but he doesn't resent Landry for the hit. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SinatraSinger said:

This article should be required reading for all the Bills draft picks this April, heck I'll even go a step further and say that the NFL should make this required reading for all the rookies.

It's one hell of an endorsement for the team, city and fans for sure.