Did the defense quit on Coach Thursday?

Foreigner

You all saw the game Thursday. The Jets ran the ball for 194 yards. Missed tackles all over the field

At 3:39 of the 4th Quarter Matt Forte practically walked on lst down 5 yards into the end zone untouched'

for a 31-7 Jets lead.

Phil Simms on CBS said Monday "Missed tackles are a big thing. That tells you they (the players) don't have

enough guys hustling". Rodney Harrison on NBC said Sunday "When you don't respect your coach,

players will quit on you

So was the defense so bad, worse in the 2nd half,  because

1. The defense quit

2. Or no Dareus

3. Or the Jets saw something on tape no other offense had seen this year.

Whatever you think, Drew Brees is coming to New Era Sunday and he is no chopped liver. 3rd all time in

NFL Career Passing Yards with over 68,000. 4th all time is Mr. Brady with over 64,000.

Will the defense meet the challenge  Sunday? 

4 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

The entire team performed poorly from the top down.  McDermott has done well so far and I have high hopes for him, but that loss was on the coach and I think he would agree. For whatever reason, he did not have the team prepared on Thursday.

it looked like something was completely so out of sync, which hasn't been the case at all this year.  the entire team was just a let down.  i'm giving the staff the benefit of the doubt on this one, but sunday should be interesting. 

I don't believe you go from a total team buy-in one week, to the team quitting on Coach McDermott all of a sudden, and for no apparent reason.   Nothing happened, at least that we know of, for the team to jump ship like that.  

I think it was just a crap-tacular all-around team performance.  Nothing more.

IMO there was no quit.  

However, that team looked tired and out of rhythm from snap one.

I'm sure a lot of us have played sports at some point in our lives.  You know you have games where you and half the team isn't feeling it.  

First, Phil Simms is quite possibly the dumbest individual regularly appearing on TV in America.  That says a lot.

Second, I am willing to give the team the benefit of the doubt.  I do not think it comes down to "quitting" or not caring, or not wanting to hustle for the coach, etc.

I think we were physically tired from the previous game, perhaps more so than the Jets for whatever reason, and when you are physically tired in sports, the first thing that goes is the mental component of the game.  Focus breaks up, and mental mistakes occur...all as a result of being physically tired.

I think the team as a whole did not have a lot in the gas tank on Thursday.  They should have that back in time for the Saints.

If they come out flat/lack hustle in that game too, something might be going on.

Until we see that, I give them a pass based on their performance overall for the season.

McD is well-respected by the players. He took a team that, on paper, looked like it was "in a rebuilding year," and brought it to a 5-2 record (prior to the TNF game.)

They players have bought into the system and "The Process." They didn't quit on him; they just had a bad night.

36 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

You all saw the game Thursday. The Jets ran the ball for 194 yards. Missed tackles all over the field

At 3:39 of the 4th Quarter Matt Forte practically walked on lst down 5 yards into the end zone untouched'

for a 31-7 Jets lead.

Phil Simms on CBS said Monday "Missed tackles are a big thing. That tells you they (the players) don't have

enough guys hustling". Rodney Harrison on NBC said Sunday "When you don't respect your coach,

players will quit on you

So was the defense so bad, worse in the 2nd half,  because

1. The defense quit

2. Or no Dareus

3. Or the Jets saw something on tape no other offense had seen this year.

Whatever you think, Drew Brees is coming to New Era Sunday and he is no chopped liver. 3rd all time in

NFL Career Passing Yards with over 68,000. 4th all time is Mr. Brady with over 64,000.

Will the defense meet the challenge  Sunday? 

Ever have a bad day at work? Now imagine your job is broadcast all over the country. This is pretty much what I think happened Thursday. Bad day at the office.

Here's something though...I'm really glad Brees comes in this week. Glad the Saints have a 6 game win streak and really glad we are no longer the talk of the NFL programs. Back to being the underdogs. Buffalo will rebound this week. 

Where did Aaron Rodgers have his career worst game again? Right here in Buffalo. Brees in front of our crowd isn't as intimidating as he would be in NO. 

Buffalo wins this one. Brees won't top 250 yards.

IMHO ......

Travel on a short week

1st year head coach 1st time prepping for only two days (also maybe distracted by trading deadline)

Team maybe starting to believe the reports that they are good, and the Jets suck (they found out that they are neither as good as reported nor are the Jets as bad)

Mix em all up and lay them in front of a national audience, and you pretty much get a hot steaming pile as witnessed Thursday night

If this team implodes and certain players quit on the team in the 2nd half like years past you better believe they will be long gone after the season no matter if they are entrenched starters, rookies or backups.

It's all about the process but there will be more games this season like what happened against the Jets so should tell us a lot about the team and McD.

I don't think the effort on Thursday was a result of them quitting on their coach. It was the result of their usual preparation and game-planning being cut short as well as their time spent rehabbing injuries. No player is physically at 100% at this stage in the year. Every player is dealing with some kind of pain/injury and they truly do need those treatment sessions during the week to get their bodies right for games. From the first snap it just looked like the entire team was tired and sluggish. It was also the first Thursday night game for McD as a head coach so there were probably some bumps in the road in regards to the process he wanted to use for the short week. They were out of sync, made mistakes they don't normally make and overall just looked like a very worn down team. 

I️ believe one of the biggest reasons for our success prior to the jets game was our preparation.  Having a short week of practice had an impact on our preparation.  Less time, less reps, less film study etc...  Because our team is usually SO well prepared and went into this game more likely less prepared than usual, it affected us more than the jets.  Sounds crazy, but I️ really believe that we’re at a bigger disadvantage on short rest due to our success being more relative to our prep.

I think Thursday had a lot to do with an older team lacking depth.  By the time the fourth quarter rolled around the defense was exhausted.  I would be surprised to see that type of game with an extended break before Sunday's tilt with the Saints.

I think a lot of folks still aren't understanding that this roster is very devoid of game changing talent and depth which is why McD does deserve credit for doing yeoman's work with the roster as is.

Now obviously a guy like Kelvin Benjamin (and Clay coming back) will help to a certain degree. But we can't change the offensive line or solve the many issues we have in the front seven until FA and the draft.

Bottom line is the Jets exposed some fatal flaws that were masked earlier in the season but will now come full circle down the stretch playing serious contenders like the Chiefs, Saints, Pats and Dolphins twice each that will no doubt lead to similar performances like TNF.

I think they were trying to strip the ball too much, which may look like they are quitting because they weren't tackling well, but I don't think so.

This team prides themselves as playing as a team and playing hard.

In my opinion it was a combination of trying to strip the ball, fatigue, and frustration

15 minutes ago, section122 said:

I think Thursday had a lot to do with an older team lacking depth.  By the time the fourth quarter rolled around the defense was exhausted.  I would be surprised to see that type of game with an extended break before Sunday's tilt with the Saints.

I very much agree with this. We wore down. 

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Jets wanted it more.

And very much agree with this. They came to play and we came to watch. 

23 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

It was one bad game. Why wasn't anyone asking if the offense quit in Carolina or in Cinci? 

They'll be fine. 

I think for some fans each week redefines their whole understanding of football. One week we are amazing the next same team as last 17 years. Whatever that means. 

Edited by nedboy7

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

This post almost reminds me of Fox News reporting. 

I think for some fans each week redefines their whole understanding of football. One week we are amazing the next same team as last 17 years. Whatever that means. 

Comes off manic. I know it's been 17 years, but we cannot hold the sins of past regimes against the new regime. We were left for dead at the beginning of the season. Some people have been waiting for this moment all season to get in their "I told you so." 

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I very much agree with this. We wore down. 

And very much agree with this. They came to play and we came to watch. 

Yep. The Jets do deserve some credit. That's as hard as I had seen a set of backs run this year. Even the scrub back up looked totally different than he did when I watched him against the Patsies. They were all decisive and aggressive.

i also agree that the age of some of the Bills key players really hurt them last week.  Incog, Kyle, a banged up Glenn and Poyer etc.

Those guys should all be healthier with the extended rest.

1 hour ago, teef said:

it looked like something was completely so out of sync, which hasn't been the case at all this year.  the entire team was just a let down.  i'm giving the staff the benefit of the doubt on this one, but sunday should be interesting. 

You know, a couple things go our way against the Jets and we come away with the victory. Leonard's dropped interception could have really turned the tide early. Matthews fumbling before halftime kept us from going in tied at 10. O'Leary's fumble kept us from tying the game at 17 or at least attempting to. We were driving at that point. those things don't go wrong and we have a different ball game with a potentially different result.