RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

Peterman wasn't a Whaley pick, Peterman was a McDermott pick.

I guess we'll hear more about it as time goes on, but this felt like a McDermott draft.

Maybe I'm overplaying it, but this draft felt like the start of a new era. And I'm not an anti-Whaley guy. But it seems like McDermott has brought a whole new philosophy and attitude.

We might even start winning.

Edited by Success

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying he doesn't have his issues but he's functional.

we are going to be running a version of the WCO. the WCO is a ball control passing offense. we will not be a running ball control offense, Rex is gone. all the facets required to excel in the WCO, are areas that Tyrod is especially weak at. the only aspect he can excel at is the run option.

TJ Yates is our backup. Its between Cardale and this guy now to see who makes the cut. It will be close. Cardale is a wildcard. He looks like he has no idea what he's doing 90% of the time, he's just running around back there like a chicken with his head chopped off but he does make some plays I'll give him that much. I think Peterman is more stable, more of a sure thing. A sure thing career backup but someone you can at least rely on.

I would not assume Yates sticks at all.

IMHO Peterman was as good as any of the drafted QBs - I thought so going in to the draft, based on stats plus the awesome scouting of watching all the Gruden QB camp shows. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Peterman has everything you want except the BIG arm. That might be a big deal, but it's not everything.

Are you kidding me???? This is sick.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/29/watch-new-bills-qb-nate-peterman-hit-trick-shots-pittsburgh/

Perhaps a round 1 2018 QB will not be necessary. Pretty impressed with McD's draft nuggets.

Hey the guy has charisma .... Mr. Gullible says maybe some multiple takes ... but the net throw was impressive and looked live as did the indoor cone deal ... I don't see the Arm concerns

Whaley is absolute garbage, he wouldn't know a good QB if it hit him in the face.

Peterman will be lucky to be even a ok backup and we also have bum cardale, good job moron.

Really? Well now, isn't that just like the pot calling the kettle black. Given your track record of QBs that you've had a hard on for over the years, you really should just STFU when it comes to that position. Thanks for the laugh. :doh::lol:

Discuss

It's a strange thing.

Rd 4 has Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, Kyle Orton, and David Garrard as QB who are starting or have started in the NFL. Maybe Seneca Wallace and Sage Rosenfels if you want to stretch a point

Rd 6 has Tyrod Taylor, Derek Anderson, Marc Bulger, and of course Tom Brady. Maybe Bruce Gradkowski if you want to stretch a point.

Rd 5 has no one. The stretch-a-point guy might be Dan Orlovsky

What is it about Rd 5 that is worse than Rd 6?

they used a pick on this guy? im against Chad Kelly because hes a terrible human being but at least he can throw

Chad Kelly can't carry Peterman's....um....balls. This is the most accurate thrower to arrive at OBD since...ever.

That KC pick would be a throw away they would want Bills picks for future years. I'm busy now but how far was the move on RG3?

You are asking about a pick which makes NO sense RG3? Well for you if makes complete sense!

Youre being dramatic if you are calling a first round pick a throwaway

Or he is just sprouting nonsense which is his par.

Terrific pick.

I know arm strength is an issue but accuracy is more important and something you can't teach. And Peterman is an accurate passer.

Peterman was 8th in the nation in passer rating. That was better than all of the quarterbacks drafted this year, including Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson. Even better than Darnold that people rave about. I watched Peterman shred my Orangemen in November. Great character as well.

If he's not a total bust in training camp then I hope we try Cardale at Tight End.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Peterman earn the backup job over Yates and give Tyrod a run for his money in 2018.

This draft went about as well as I could have hoped. They did exactly what I wanted them to do: Keep Taylor to see what he does in the new offense and with a couple seasons under his belt. Bring in a seasoned backup. Draft a QB in the late rounds who might be a longshot but who has a chance of working out. Put yourself in position to go after a top-rated QB next year if Taylor doesn't work out and Peterman doesn't look like he has it.

This is perfect QB management given the position the Bills were in. Perfect.

Couldn't agree more Shaw66...Everyone who, rightly, feel that the Bills have mismanaged or ignored the QB position for the last umpteen years should read this post. The times they are a changin'.

This is a false equivalency. TT is an above average QB relating to accuracy.

What drugs have you been taking? TT is brutal accuracy-wise. He consistently puts receivers in harm way with bad ball placement or misses them entirely. Below average accuracy is kind.

What drugs have you been taking? TT is brutal accuracy-wise. He consistently puts receivers in harm way with bad ball placement or misses them entirely. Below average accuracy is kind.

Wrong. Just wrong. He has difficulty with certain parts of the field and some progressions. His accuracy is top 10% in the NFL, once he knows where he's throwing.

Folks there is a reason this kid went in the fifth.

That being said, you can't complain we don't take a QB ever, and we do that it's not the guy you want so it's not good.

Tom Brady went in the 6th......not saying he will be the next Brady but you gotta Billeve!

Wrong. Just wrong. He has difficulty with certain parts of the field and some progressions. His accuracy is top 10% in the NFL, once he knows where he's throwing.

Sorry, you are off. Your post is as inaccurate as TT is. He is just not accurate, and cannot anticipate a receiver beeak to save his life.

This guy probably already has a better feel for the position than Tyrod.

It shouldn't be long before the Tyrod experiment reaches it's conclusion.

82 total posts in, and you've already elevated yourself into the rarefied regions of Knuckleheadery. Congrats!

sorry but that is not true

i think Cardale is on the outs ... change in offense and coaching staff is much of that.

Or maybe they are just trying to improve the qb postiion? C. Jones could actually improve this year.

Whether Peterman works out or not, if this is the type of stuff the Bills are going to value in a QB under McDermott/Dennison, then I am thrilled!

Accuracy and anticipation, ability to read defenses and change plays at the line, ability to,go through all your progressions, find open receivers or throw them open...

IMO those are some of the most important traits you look for in a potential franchise QB and if the Bills are going to put more importance on these traits going forward I like their chances of eventually finding their true, long term franchise QB.

Much better than big, athletic, mobile, "all the tools" but can't hit water falling out of a boat type QBs...

:thumbsup:

sorry but that is not true

Sorry, it is. I have no idea what games you have been watching. Receivers seldom if ever have the ball for an easy catch. Slants are brutal and behind the receiver, and over the middle just never happens. He can throw a nice deep ball, but we didn't see a lot of that last year.

Days -

This draft went about as well as I could have hoped. They did exactly what I wanted them to do: Keep Taylor to see what he does in the new offense and with a couple seasons under his belt. Bring in a seasoned backup. Draft a QB in the late rounds who might be a longshot but who has a chance of working out. Put yourself in position to go after a top-rated QB next year if Taylor doesn't work out and Peterman doesn't look like he has it.

This is perfect QB management given the position the Bills were in. Perfect.

Plus a quality DB and a guy who looks like he could be a seriously good receiver, plus an offensive lineman who has a good chance of helping.

Nicely done.

I love the draft. I was worried we would lose out on a QB with those trade ups and I truly can't believe Peterman was still there. I've been busy all weekend so I haven't had much time to pay attention to any picks but the Bills. I assumed Peterman had been drafted a couple rounds ago. So when I got the notification that we had taken Peterman I jumped out of my chair!! Forget arm strength, this guy has everything else you need in a franchise QB. Another high character guy too. I think I was wrong, McDermott really is running things.

It's a longer shot than Taylor just playing better than 2016 and earning another longer term renegotiated deal. A much longer shot.

I just do not see it - they will let Taylor play out the contract - I just do not see anyway TT gets a longer better contract.

The better shot is a top draft pick next year will be the QB.

....makes for an interesting camp with TT, Yates, Cardale, Woodrum & Peterman.......if the Peterman kid shines, Cardale & Woodrum are out.....wonder if you could stash Peterman on PS without getting scooped up.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy