RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

the one armed drummer in Def Leppard can throw the ball farther than Peterman

everyone hears a few scouts say his arm is a little bit below average or not as big as some of the other QBs in the draft and they go all crazy. His arm is as strong as many of the starters already in the national football league. Watch his games, he can throw the deep ball just fine. Stop overreacting to everything you hear in the media.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone hears a few scouts say his arm is a little bit below average or not as big as some of the other QBs in the draft and they go all crazy. His arm is as strong as many of the starters already in the national football league. Watch his games, he can throw the deep ball just fine. Stop overreacting to everything you hear in the media.

People pay too much attention to combine stats or how fast he can throw the ball. I'll take in-game production every time. Peterman won't be the next Roethlisberger or Newton, but he has a decent chance at being a Kirk Cousins type. Tom Brady sure didn't let his below average arm strength affect his career.

I can't believe he'd be around in the fifth if his arm strength wasn't a concern. Pro system, anticipates, accurate, quick release, plays under center already, not great but enough size, big hands, smart, clean image.... if he had a unquestioned arm he would have been Andrew luck and drafted as such.

I would rather deal with a QB that may have lower level arm talent but plus accuracy and awareness...then deal with another a guy with a strong arm but has no clue how to play the position. How often do the raw QBs win anything? Those guys always get you excited and end up never changing. If you don't understand fundamentals by the time you are in the pros, your career will be over before you learn them.

I would rather deal with a QB that may have lower level arm talent but plus accuracy and awareness...then deal with another a guy with a strong arm but has no clue how to play the position. How often do the raw QBs win anything? Those guys always get you excited and end up never changing. If you don't understand fundamentals by the time you are in the pros, your career will be over before you learn them.

There hasn't been a weak armed QB to win anything since Joe Montana.

Oh Man, are we already to nickname him? Pistol Pete is already taken. Thank Goodness,that'd be a hot debate here.

Pea-shooter Pete,maybe?

I think we're about two months away from an accurate moniker... It's-a-comin' though!

peyton manning literally had the weakest arm in the nfl 2 years ago and won the Super Bowl. Want me to keep looking for more or can we just leave it at the 2nd most recent occurrence of championing and just move on?

He doesn't count in any way after having 15 years of experience having a good arm, not to mention that because of his weak arm he sucked and they won in spite of him.

He doesn't count in any way after having 15 years of experience having a good arm, not to mention that because of his weak arm he sucked and they won in spite of him.

if he doesn't count then let's just not even keep going with that. You pretty much said no QB with a weak arm can win. A QB with the weakest arm in recent memory just won a Super Bowl. That's really the end of it.

@theMMQB

“He’s gonna be a good player, a really good backup at worst,” says a QB coach. Did Bills get a 5th-round QB steal? http://trib.al/L8mk4hZ

C-rJNbqXkAAAKoJ.jpg

Just based on my conversations with people the last couple weeks, I’m led to believe the Bills got a steal in fifth-round QB Nathan Peterman. The comp I’ve heard most is Kirk Cousins, and the thought here is that he’s, at worst, a long-term NFL backup. “He’s a stud,” said one AFC quarterbacks coach. “He’s a polished kid. … Married, very grounded, mechanically sound as a player, productive, smart. He’s gonna be a good player, a really good backup at worst. … He doesn’t have Kirk’s arm talent, but you can hear the voice of Kirk in him. His energy is a little different, the kid’s a little more collected.” Based on the fact that good backup QBs now make more than $5 million per year, getting one in the fifth round seems like a pretty good value to me.

Greg Gabriel loves Peterman and doesn't think arm strength is an issue, FWIW:

Nate Peterman will become a starting QB in Buffalo. He's this years Kirk Cousins

- most QB's improve their arm strength when they get to NFL. Product of developing the right muscles in an NFL wgt program

- including Brees, Brady and P. Manning

yes by his 2nd year (he will be a great starter)

I think people over estimate how often a QB has to drive the ball deep down field. Most of today's league is short timing routes. If this offense looks the way I expect it to, this kid could be perfect for it. I have never in my life been excited for a QB the bills have drafted....I really like this guy though

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

We have D. Whaley to thank for drafting him. All you guys that love him must think Doug should still be here. Can't have it both ways. This seems like 1965 when we started. Where is Cookie when we need him. Lookie- Lookie here comes Cookie! Boy I miss him.

How can anyone not be exited about this pick? Worst that happens is that a 5th rounder doesn't pan out.

All I've heard from pundits is that he's a potential steal who shouldn't have dropped so far, that he's accurate, that he scans the field and makes good decisions and has moxie. Also, he's one of the few guys Belichick looked at.

Could be our 10 year guy. At worst, he's probably the best backup we've had since Reich.

if he doesn't count then let's just not even keep going with that. You pretty much said no QB with a weak arm can win. A QB with the weakest arm in recent memory just won a Super Bowl. That's really the end of it.

Fine, I will rephrase it. There hasn't been a weak armed quarterback that wasn't also one of the greatest quarterbacks ever for 15 years with a good arm and surefire first ballot hall of farmer to win anything.

Edited by Kelly the Dog