RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

I've never seen the guy take a snap. All I know is what I've read, including what I've read here.

If all of that is true then I love the pick.

Sounds like he already does what teams wait years to find out whether their highly drafted QB studs can learn to do - and usually they are disappointed. Frankly I'm tired of watching athletes trying to play the position - and basically failing. The most valuable QB attributes by far reside above the shoulders, not below, and are all functions of the rare ability to process a lot of information quickly and react accordingly. Sounds like we know Peterman can do that and can do it now. Thats already most of the battle won IMO.

If his arm strength needs improving maybe he can work on it. But you don't need great arm strength to be a great QB. Joe didn't have a cannon, but Kyle Boller did. I hear lots of references to Chad Pennington (before his surgery). If Peterman's arm is in that ballpark, it should be good enuf.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing - I think it is a refreshing change of pace to at least be DRAFTING a qb at ANY stage of the draft, even when we have a "starter" in place.

That said, I think Peterman really can amount to something. Love how his strengths are accuracy and reading the whole field.

I don't have a problem with this pick. I am always for adding a QB in the draft until you get the right person. Now you have Peterman who is fundamentally sound but may not have the best arm vs Cardale who is very athletic but raw in development. Polar opposites. I think those two are competing for a spot on the roster with Yates as the backup. If both stand out, maybe Yates is gone. Regardless, there is now competition for depth at quarterback. This definitely beats the Tyler Thigpen, Jeff Tuel, Thad Lewis days.

The manufacturers of anti-depressants disagree. :)

I've never seen the guy take a snap. All I know is what I've read, including what I've read here.

If all of that is true then I love the pick.

Sounds like he already does what teams wait years to find out whether their highly drafted QB studs can learn to do - and usually they are disappointed. Frankly I'm tired of watching athletes trying to play the position - and basically failing. The most valuable QB attributes by far reside above the shoulders, not below, and are all functions of the rare ability to process a lot of information quickly and react accordingly. Sounds like we know Peterman can do that and can do it now. Thats already most of the battle won IMO.

If his arm strength needs improving maybe he can work on it. But you don't need great arm strength to be a great QB. Joe didn't have a cannon, but Kyle Boller did. I hear lots of references to Chad Pennington (before his surgery). If Peterman's arm is in that ballpark, it should be good enuf.

I used to hate it when we played Pennington. He never made a throw that amazed you and you needed to watch again and again.. but he was the guy you just couldn't seem to get off the field. Just relentless completion after completion it seemed like.

It's been measured for nearly 10 years. That's a long time by NFL standards.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/3/10/14890754/cleveland-browns-2017-nfl-scouting-combine-qb-velocity

Next.

I don't see a lot of comparative data - a lot of DNT and not many successful QBs to choose from.

I would love to see where many guys of varying success like Pennington, Brady, Manning, Montana, ECT. would fall.

I think by the very nature guys with better velocity have a better shot, but I believe the cerebral aspects are significantly more important than velocity.

Several guys on the list with Rocket arms failed (a much higher percentage than were successful - so I am not sure it means much of anything at all.

Based on that Google Docs spreadsheet, I really can't appreciate any correlation between ball velocity and success in the NFL. Plus, the majority of the best prospects don't have values ("DNT") because they decided not to throw at the combine. That, and you'd be surprised by some QBs who we believe have a "canon", but don't have great ball velocities (compared to 53 mph).

You are 100% right. At the moment all that spreadsheet proves is coincidence, not correlation.

It is a useful thing to track but so far it has proved nothing.

Recorded the draft today and just watched ESPN commentary. Nothing but positives about the pick. Most 'throw ready' QB in the draft I believe they said. Played in pro style offense under center. Smart, goes through progressions, accurate. Only QB to beat Cleamson and on the road putting up 33. Arm strength not optimal but has superior understanding of the game and the position. Frankly, can't wait to see if the Bills might have hit here.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

On Twitter let me get it. Was looking for UDFA signings

Jay Skurski (@JaySkurski)

4/29/17, 2:47 PM

Sean McDermott says every quarterback on the roster will compete for the starting job -- it won't be handed to Tyrod Taylor. #Bills

Found it.

Peterman will have a healthy amount of competition with four other quarterbacks on the roster including second-year QB Cardale Jones. McDermott however, is relying on that competition to see who emerges and thrives in such a setting.

I like it...to me he has real potential based on Dennison's projected West Coast Offensive style. May turn to career back-up, which is fine too - because I have NO confidence in Jones. However, he might also turn into a gold nugget unearthed from the rough...

This is a great pic. The kid is very efficient can anticipate and throw and isn't afraid to go deep. He doesn't have the strongest arm but it's strong enough.

He's been compared to Cousins.

He's also been under center and is mobile.

I'd rather my QB have to come in and do arm workouts, than have to come in and get all his mechanics reworked. Good pick by the Bills and Whaley never would have made it IMO. I was terrified we would take Kizer.

My stomach was twisting thinking it could be Kizer too.

Oh Cleveland...just gonna keep Clevelanding...