RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

You never know what can happen. Fully expect Tyrod to be our starter but part of finding a great QB is luck and circumstances. Perhaps Peterman is coming to the right team with the right coaches and system that will allow him to succeed. It's a long shot but certainly not impossible

It's a longer shot than Taylor just playing better than 2016 and earning another longer term renegotiated deal. A much longer shot.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Peterman has just become the most popular QB on the team.

I don't know if he gets a chance to play this year, but if you watch him on Gruden's QB Camp, I think there is something special about this kid- probably became my favorite QB prospect during the draft process...he's got a chip on his shoulder to go along with a lot of the QB fundamentals the other prospects lack...might be wishful thinking, but he kinda reminds me of a young Drew Brees...time will tell, but it feels good to finally have a QB on the team that throws guys open and with anticipation...Well done McD.

Peterman can START in this offense and do well. Time to come to grips with that

I think there might be a competition in camp...McD says no one is given the starting spot...and he even tells higher picks they have to earn their spot...unlike Rex who tells his first 3 picks they are Day 1 starters.

Edited by JaCrispy

It's a longer shot than Taylor just playing better than 2016 and earning another longer term renegotiated deal. A much longer shot.

Not so sure about that. If NFL history demonstrates anything...it is the FACT that most great NFL QBs are not taken in round 1.

Youre being dramatic if you are calling a first round pick a throwaway

The 32nd pick just landed the Pats Cooks, the Cheifs picked 27th this year. Can we say that is pretty close on the draft scale? Pats also have to pay Cooks so that hurts his value and their final trade value.

A 27th pick is by no means getting you up to 1st or 2nd is a super star QB is there. That's what we are waiting for right? A can't miss Franshise guy? That was RG3 what was the haul ?

Really don't understand why people act like Tyrod is some kind of disaster at QB

He's not a disaster by any stretch. He's just a running QB that can't do the basics that are required of the position imo.

Edited by JaCrispy

He's not a disaster by any stretch. He's just a running QB that can't do the basics that are required of the position imo.

He can do more than enough to not get benched for a 5th round QB

Edited by CNY315

Really don't understand why people act like Tyrod is some kind of disaster at QB

Welp, guess we will see how he functions in the WCO which requires things of the QB that TT struggles to accomplish. Should be interesting.

Exactly. He can do enough to win games, but he doesn't have the skill set to take a team to the next level. His playmaking ability can help his team put points on the board. Problems arise when he needs to be a real QB. Look at the final series against Seattle this past season. When he is forced to make a throw at a crucial time he can't. Those are the type of games that separate the contenders from the pretenders. I was in favor of keeping him this offseason as I didn't see any better options. That doesn't mean I think he's the long term answer.

He can do more than enough to not get benched by a 5th round QB

Maybe, maybe not...but it is important to remember, the QBs that succeed early in the NFL are QBs that come from a pro style offense in college...this is Peterman...also, non running QBs that have average arm strength tend to develop the abilities of throwing guys open and throwing with anticipation...this, too, is Peterman...so basically, before even stepping onto an NFL field, he already has several qualities that are more advanced than Tyrod Taylor, who is a 7 year vet.

If KC has a season like they just had that first round pick won't be much leverage. The only way the Bills are getting to the top of the board is to lose more games than everyone else.

If they wanted to move up from 10 to 1 for Darnold a team would want the Bill's future picks not KC's future pick.

All first round picks are leverage, they are all considered assets, just look at KC, they traded the 27th OVR pick and moved up 17 spots, parted with a future 1st. I'd have to think they could also pull a Washington and throw in a 2019 pick to sweeten the deal, were getting a QB in next years draft.

TJ Yates is our backup. Its between Cardale and this guy now to see who makes the cut. It will be close. Cardale is a wildcard. He looks like he has no idea what he's doing 90% of the time, he's just running around back there like a chicken with his head chopped off but he does make some plays I'll give him that much. I think Peterman is more stable, more of a sure thing. A sure thing career backup but someone you can at least rely on.