RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

I love the pick, worst case scenario , he's a career backup and obviously best case he's a franchise QB, not sure he has the arm strength to be the #1 but that's the same thing they said about Montana, Brady etc. so we'll see but they are finally at least attempting to upgrade the most important position.

Technically worst case scenario is that he is cut, or slips on a mat.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peterman will be in the NFL. If you are looking for a backup QB then the pick is fine.

I don't know of many teams that expect their 5th round QB selections to be anything more than a backup with an extreme outside shot of becoming a starter.

Here is why I don't like the pick at all. Chances are better than 50-50 I think that Peterman beats out Cardale for the #3 because he will fit Dennison's system better. And Cardale will be cut. But we already have the career reliable backup in TJ Yates, who is probably better than Peterman will ever be. Cardale has a chance to be a starter if not a star if everything goes right. If everything goes right for Peterman he is a little below Cousins. That's best case scenario. If we didn't sign Yates then sure, the reliable cerebral accurate field general may be a necessary role. But we have a Peterman already.

I think that the ability to anticipate where the wide receiver is going to be and deliver the ball there in stride is way underrated. Last time the Bills had a quarterback that could do that with great consistency - his name was Jim Kelly.

I like this pick and I think this kid is going to one day be a starter not just a career back up.

I don't know of many teams that expect their 5th round QB selections to be anything more than a backup with an extreme outside shot of becoming a starter.

Yes, agreed. I personally would just get a backup veteran QB for a small contract and be drafting for upside here but it depends on your draft goals.

Siemian was a case where backup QB looked good. If Peterman can be Siemian I'm happy.

Whether Peterman works out or not, if this is the type of stuff the Bills are going to value in a QB under McDermott/Dennison, then I am thrilled!

Accuracy and anticipation, ability to read defenses and change plays at the line, ability to,go through all your progressions, find open receivers or throw them open...

IMO those are some of the most important traits you look for in a potential franchise QB and if the Bills are going to put more importance on these traits going forward I like their chances of eventually finding their true, long term franchise QB.

Much better than big, athletic, mobile, "all the tools" but can't hit water falling out of a boat type QBs...

Edited by BillsFan4

Here is why I don't like the pick at all. Chances are better than 50-50 I think that Peterman beats out Cardale for the #3 because he will fit Dennison's system better. And Cardale will be cut. But we already have the career reliable backup in TJ Yates, who is probably better than Peterman will ever be. Cardale has a chance to be a starter if not a star if everything goes right. If everything goes right for Peterman he is a little below Cousins. That's best case scenario. If we didn't sign Yates then sure, the reliable cerebral accurate field general may be a necessary role. But we have a Peterman already.

Or maybe they just let it play out in OTAs & camp and the best man/men win? No excuses for Cardale. Work, earn it, or GTFO.

I love the pick, worst case scenario , he's a career backup and obviously best case he's a franchise QB, not sure he has the arm strength to be the #1 but that's the same thing they said about Montana, Brady etc. so we'll see but they are finally at least attempting to upgrade the most important position.

Speaking of Montana or Young for that matter, neither had cannons for arms and did quite well in WCO.