RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

Here is why I don't like the pick at all. Chances are better than 50-50 I think that Peterman beats out Cardale for the #3 because he will fit Dennison's system better. And Cardale will be cut. But we already have the career reliable backup in TJ Yates, who is probably better than Peterman will ever be. Cardale has a chance to be a starter if not a star if everything goes right. If everything goes right for Peterman he is a little below Cousins. That's best case scenario. If we didn't sign Yates then sure, the reliable cerebral accurate field general may be a necessary role. But we have a Peterman already.

I believe your calculus could be off.

There is a reasonable chance that if Peterman and Cardale both play well that Yates would be the one to be cut. If Peterman struggles, he goes to the practice squad. If Cardale struggles he probably gets cut. Yates, you know what you get with him, so I believe the fate of the youngsters is more so in their hands than anyone else's.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I woke up this morning flipping a coin in my head,

Heads: we draft a QB only to receive complaints about him not being a flawless prospect in the fifth freaking round

Tails: we don't take one and complaints will happen regardless

That said, I was thinking Peterman would have been taken a lot earlier for the listed non-Tyrod positives outlined earlier. It's also an anti-Whaley QB relative to what we've taken - athletic big armed raw projects in CJ and EJ for a more "pro ready" style guy. I'm not going to be 100% confident like several on here that McD is under control, but to take seniors only, non athletes, and jump on front of Carolina twice for the exact same position makes me wonder what'll happen shortly...

Whether Peterman works out or not, if this is the type of stuff the Bills are going to value in a QB under McDermott/Dennison, then I am thrilled!

Accuracy and anticipation, ability to read defenses and change plays at the line, ability to,go through all your progressions, find open receivers or throw them open...

IMO those are some of the most important traits you look for in a potential franchise QB and if the Bills are going to put more importance on these traits going forward I like their chances of eventually finding their true, long term franchise QB.

Much better than big, athletic, mobile, "all the tools" but can't hit water falling out of a boat type QBs...

:thumbsup:

To be clear - my opposition isn't on arm strength - I've already said in relation to Watson that the velocity stat is not proven to mean anything at the moment. My opposition is based on the tape. Now I only watched 1 game and I absolutely hated it and so watched no more. Given that we have picked him I will go and watch more on him. But the Virginia Tech tape is brutal. His supposed "accuracy" was not on display that day.

Cousins arm was considered adequate coming out. By no means was he considered to have an overly strong arm. He was a smart and accurate player much like Peterman.

And Peterman has FAR better footwork than I ever saw from Cousins coming out of MSU... I'm not in love with Peterman, but I REFUSE to bash the hell out of him.

Edited by #34fan

First bad pick of the draft. This guy will never be more than a TJ Yates...and we already got one of those. Wasted pick, especially when we could've gotten a DB, WR, or DL

Judging qb's now is impossible.

But I agree another DB or DLine depth guy would have made sense.

Loud noises!!!

Whaley needs to go. How could he pick this guy in the 5th round when Player x** and or Chad Kelly*** was there? Rabble rabble rabble...

** Player x equals a guy I've never watched play, I just fell in love with him as a sleeper when I read an obscure scouting report.

*** Chad Kelly equals Ryan Leaf.

I believe your calculus could be off.

There is a reasonable chance that if Peterman and Cardale both play well that Yates would be the one to be cut. If Peterman struggles, he goes to the practice squad. If Cardale struggles he probably gets cut. Yates, you know what you get with him, so I believe the fate of the youngsters is more so in their hands than anyone else's.

I considered that. But I always thought that Cardale needed two full years of apprenticeship before you would get an indication of how could he may become. We have only had one. So I don't expect Cardale to blow them away this year in camp. If it were going to happen it would be next year. It's all conjecture of course.

And he can handle an extensive amount of football, so the teams that are really ambitious with deep, thick playbooks, those are the teams that Peterman would fit in with.

That does not sound like the players the Bills have who want smaller, less complicated playbooks. As least the Bills will have a QB in rookie camp.

To be clear - my opposition isn't on arm strength - I've already said in relation to Watson that the velocity stat is not proven to mean anything at the moment. My opposition is based on the tape. Now I only watched 1 game and I absolutely hated it and so watched no more. Given that we have picked him I will go and watch more on him. But the Virginia Tech tape is brutal. His supposed "accuracy" was not on display that day.

What would your take have been had you only watched the Clemson game?

To those who don't like Peterman, what's worse...the QB who can throw it a mile, but can't hit the broad side of a barn, or a more accurate QB who doesn't have great arm strength, but can excel in a WC system?

This is a false equivalency. TT is an above average QB relating to accuracy.

This and more this...I honestly do not understand how the majority of posters don't realize this. Throwing the ball hard and far means NOTHING. The top 10 QBS in the league don't have the best arms, if that was the case Kapernick would be the best QB in the league.

Best armed QB I have ever seen is Jeff George. Arm strength is not everything unfortunately.

First bad pick of the draft. This guy will never be more than a TJ Yates...and we already got one of those. Wasted pick, especially when we could've gotten a DB, WR, or DL

Yates is 29. Peterman could definitely become a Smith / Dalton / Cousins type.