Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

36 minutes ago, mathja said:

Let’s say the weapon they would have added @28 was AD Mitchell. If they add AD Mitchell @ 33 is it still unacceptable?

THIS!!!

Why would you prefer we draft the same player at #28 that we pick at #33.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

This type of emotional response shows why being a fan clouds your judgement. Luckily, Beane is not a fan of the Bills. He is a professional who can look past petty rivalries and focus on what is good for the Bills and what is not.

Helping KC get better is not good for the Bills. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

Sure! Great move by McDummy to help the Chiefs improve their team by getting the player they want.

i wonder why nobody on this board came up with this novel idea. No prob, there are still plenty of safeties ready to be picked.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

12 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I don’t understand this. If the Bills took somebody else, The Chiefs still could have ended up with Worthy anyways. Obviously the Bills weren’t high on him. 

Getting the 3rd rounder seems very important to Beane.  Earlier he was bemoaning the Bills expected to be awarded a 3rd round compensatory pick but got a 4th.  Is that 3rd rounder part of the compensation for a trade deal in the works or does he just badly need to get back into the 3rd round? 

I speculate wildly here but maybe the 3rd rounder is the price, or part of the price, the 49ers are looking for as part of an Aiyuk tradel?  I think most of us can agree Brendon has greater immediate impact and value than any player we might have drafted at 28.  Beane would have to work some cap numbers for 2024 but with the Diggs contract cleared in 2025 the numbers for an extention would be easier to handle.  It was interesting SF took Pearsall with their pick.  Maybe they're just looking to upgrade WR3?  Could their be another team looking to move a veteran WR? 

Assuming I might be right (which might be a long-shot) the Bills could go CB with the 2/1 pick with DeJean and immediately upgrade the secondary.  And use the later 2nd rounder on BPA.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

Trust the process. Beane has a long track record of bringing in elite WRs like Kelvin Benjamin, Terrelle Pryor, Tavon Austin, Marquez Stevenson, Ray-Ray McCloud, Brandon Powell, Justin Shorter, and Austin Proehl.  

Beane also has a long track record of bringing in elite defensive talent like Ed Oliver, Kaiir Elam, Boogie Basham, AJ Epeneza, Gregory Rousseau, etc who cant even sack or Int Mahomes once in the playoffs.

Trust the process.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't think it can be judged until we see how the rest of the draft, and possibly close season, pans out. For now - despite my emotional reaction at the time when the Chiefs drafted Worthy - I think they're good moves.

9 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Helping KC get better is not good for the Bills. 

The only way to keep them from drafting this particular player was to take him themselves. If they didn’t want him and didn’t have a 1st rd grade on him, that would be a terrible strategy. KC was going to get better with whoever they took in the 1st just like every team. Sure another team could have taken worthy in between 29 and 32 but no way to know that given he’s not a consensus 1st rd graded WR and the Bills can’t waste draft value and turn away a free 3rd just bc it’s a rival. If they didn’t go the trade the most likely scenario is the Bills reached on a player at 28 based on their board, the chiefs take worthy at another spot, at 32 or they trade up with someone else and take him there, and the Bills don’t get the 3rd. Seems like a worse option. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 2

54 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Voted no just because I’m a big Worthy believer and it’s tough to shake the feeling that the Bills now not only let the Chiefs get Mahomes but also his next Tyreek.

I do get it in a vacuum though. If I were just told hey we made these trades and got these picks but I did not know it was KC then I’d probably be all about having 3 top 100 picks this year.

This…. If Worthy wasn’t our guy - KC was getting him anyway.  At least this way we strengthen our draft capital and weaken theirs. 

Outside of Elam, Beane and Co. have  shown their willingness to move up and get their guy (especially physical freaks). Obviously there is something they didn’t like with Worthy.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

So Dalton Kincaid is dog food? If the Bills also pick up at least 1 WR in a deep class will Josh still have no weapons?

The worry is that we replace Gabe Davis with...Gabe Davis or worse, another slot guy.  The WRs who have slipped to rd 2 did so for a reason.   And then we possibly will be trading picks to replace a top 10 receiver with a more expensive vet for the ultimately the same production, all the while still paying Diggs' salary.   It makes me a little uneasy that we're going into day 2 of the draft with a bottom 3 receiving unit.   

The end result may work out okay but the process is a bit weird at times. 

Some Examples

- Giving Justin Jefferson to Minnesota to get Diggs only to hear rumors recently of maybe the Bills trying to trade for Jefferson.   We coulda had the dude on a rookie contract this whole time. 

- Signing Dawson Knox to a huge contract and then drafting a TE the following season.   

- Releasing Isiah McKenzie and then singing his equivalent replacement for 3 times the price.

Edited by Lost
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ProcessImproverMan said:

Trust the process. Beane has a long track record of bringing in elite WRs like Kelvin Benjamin, Terrelle Pryor, Tavon Austin, Marquez Stevenson, Ray-Ray McCloud, Brandon Powell, Justin Shorter, and Austin Proehl.  

Beane also has a long track record of bringing in elite defensive talent like Ed Oliver, Kaiir Elam, Boogie Basham, AJ Epeneza, Gregory Rousseau, etc who cant even sack or Int Mahomes once in the playoffs.

Trust the process.

You cannot call late season/practice squad flyers on guys like Tavon Austin a knock on Beane. Come on dude. 

I hate the idea of trading with KC, but do like that we now have 3 picks tonight and 5 early Day 3 picks to attack the meat of this draft. 

WR is looking scary though..

Need to come away with a double dip, but aside from a trade for a vet WR.. they clearly have elevated Kincaid to the potential star of the passing game with a Green Bay type WR room. 

I wouldn’t count on Shakir, Samuel and two rookies to replace what Diggs gave us in his prime … but that also might not be needed. 

Still.. looking over at KC and I want to die:

Pacheco

Kelce

Brown

Rice

Worthy

They continue to invest for Mahomes… Skyy Moore and Kadarius Toney haven’t worked out.. we’ll see if this group does. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I don’t think worrying about other teams is a good strategy. 

Clearly, there was no one at 28 who the Bills wanted. 

The fact that KC ended up getting a WR with our pick doesn’t faze me. 

I don’t care what KC does. 

I find it hard fo believe that Beane is content going into next season with our current WRs plus any receiver(s) he gets in subsequent rounds. 

He has a plan. 

is that plan get pantsed by KC in the playoffs until McDummy and Beane get canned ? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The purpose of this poll is to get an idea of how the TBD community feels about Beane’s strategy on night one before the rest of the draft plays out. 

There is no “wait and see” option for a reason. 

I personally like what Beane did and I’m interested to see how others feel. 

The fire Beane thread posted early this morning didn’t sy anything? …….

The second trade yes but the first trade is going to haunt them. Worthy does the one thing well the chiefs needed a vertical threat he’s basically their version of Deshawn Jackson.  
Josh quite frankly is going to have to put on his Superman cape again for them to even stay in the game with the chiefs now. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The purpose of this poll is to get an idea of how the TBD community feels about Beane’s strategy on night one before the rest of the draft plays out. 

There is no “wait and see” option for a reason. 

I personally like what Beane did and I’m interested to see how others feel. 

I think a more pointed question would be...

1.) Would you rather have Xavier Legette, Xavier Worthy, or Ricky Pearsall in the first round      OR

2.) Would you rather add a 3rd round pick, and have a choice between Troy Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, or Ladd McConkey in the 2nd round

44 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

Trading with KC, a team that is better and smarter than OBD in every sense, makes me angry. Like, you know they outclass you on the field and off, avoid helping them at all costs. Whatever, let's run the ball and pretend it's 1990, and continue wasting a unicorn QB.

Thank you. The Bills fans here pretending that we got one over on KC are hilarious. They’ve been better at talent evaluation, team building, coaching and execution on the field than us. But, hey, we turned a 4th round pick into the last non-compensatory 3rd round pick and moved waaaay up on the 7th round. All they got was the WR they really wanted. 3-D chess! Genius!

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

the long awaited thoughts...

we have a lot more options which make a lot more sense today with 33 than we did at 28. at 28 we were drafting a first round player with 2nd round talent. it sucks we gave talent to the Chiefs.

OPTION 1

We keep 33 and draft BPA, move along with the draft like normal

OPTION 2

We use a 2nd round pick to trade for a WR. This is not likely to be with Aiyuk as the internet is abuzz that the niners won't deal him and only interested in dealing Samuel. No thanks on Samuel.

OPTION 3 - my favortite

Trade 33 for a 1st round in '25. 1:1 deal would even be fine. Ideally, though, we could trade with a team for their 1st and their second to move back even further. Looking at the big board this is reasonable because the talent on board is BPA but we can squeak back. In this case it rules out getting Mitchell or McConky most likely. But, there are other WR's not far off the same tier.

OPTION 4 - most likely, sort of...

Double dip on WR.

Adonai Mitchell / Ladd McConkey - i expect we pick him at 33. But, then come back up and get McConky or wait and get Franklin, McMillan, Polk or Coleman with the other 2nd round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bearstobills said:

I think a more pointed question would be...

1.) Would you rather have Xavier Legette, Xavier Worthy, or Ricky Pearsall in the first round      OR

2.) Would you rather add a 3rd round pick, and have a choice between Troy Franklin, Adonai Mitchell, or Ladd McConkey in the 2nd round

My personal order of those guys pre-draft was:

1. Franklin
  2. McConkey
  3. Pearsall
  4. Mitchell
  5. Legette
  6. Worthy

With a significant gap from Pearsall to Mitchell and an even more significant gap from Mitchell to Legette/Worthy.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

My personal order of those guys pre-draft was:

1. Franklin
  2. McConkey
  3. Pearsall
  4. Mitchell
  5. Legette
  6. Worthy

With a significant gap from Pearsall to Mitchell and an even more significant gap from Mitchell to Legette/Worthy.

Any concern with Franklins speed? 

57 minutes ago, amprov56 said:

Sorry undecided, poll me again in January 2025!

Nothing but the best in NFL commentary on TBD, like being back in grade school, good post!

Sounds like someone needs to loosen their girdle.

Absolute disaster unless we trade for one of the established WRs. Even then, why trade with KC? to only move up from the 4th to 3rd?!

You just take a WR and hope it’s the one KC wanted. Not guarantee they get the guy they want. Insane. clearly KC thought their guy could be gone by 32 

20 minutes ago, boyst said:

the long awaited thoughts...

we have a lot more options which make a lot more sense today with 33 than we did at 28. at 28 we were drafting a first round player with 2nd round talent. it sucks we gave talent to the Chiefs.

OPTION 1

We keep 33 and draft BPA, move along with the draft like normal

OPTION 2

We use a 2nd round pick to trade for a WR. This is not likely to be with Aiyuk as the internet is abuzz that the niners won't deal him and only interested in dealing Samuel. No thanks on Samuel.

OPTION 3 - my favortite

Trade 33 for a 1st round in '25. 1:1 deal would even be fine. Ideally, though, we could trade with a team for their 1st and their second to move back even further. Looking at the big board this is reasonable because the talent on board is BPA but we can squeak back. In this case it rules out getting Mitchell or McConky most likely. But, there are other WR's not far off the same tier.

OPTION 4 - most likely, sort of...

Double dip on WR.

Adonai Mitchell / Ladd McConkey - i expect we pick him at 33. But, then come back up and get McConky or wait and get Franklin, McMillan, Polk or Coleman with the other 2nd round pick.

Only option 4 seems reasonable to me.   If we somehow go out of the first 2 rounds without a WR in a class that's 1)the deepest its been at the position in recent years, and 2) The absolute biggest positional need on the team in recent years,  it just feels like a massive failure.   Trading for another vet just makes me think getting rid of Diggs was a costly mistake

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

Any concern with Franklins speed? 

He's one of the fastest WRs in the draft, so no. I like Coleman as well who actually has speed concerns though lol.

I like it.  

This is a mini-1-year-rebuild for all intents and purposes, and it was 100% necessary.  They held onto the quantity of picks, improved the position of some picks, and we can only assume they did not lose out on anything they wanted moving from 28-33 (so far).  

They need to replace Diggs and Davis... but also they needed more on top of that.  Some 6th or 7th WR in the draft isn't going to make that up.  They are in a bind, have other holes, and all these picks and a glut of cap money should get this team ready to gun for the Super Bowl again starting in 2025.  

For now, they are going to try to duct tape the offense together and hope Allen and the McDermott defense can snake a wild card spot

Edited by May Day 10

I just don't trust their wide receiver scouting ability, Worthy seemed like a slam dunk pick there. He's got the production, the tape is awesome, and he destroyed the combine, but he's on the smaller side, are we really going to do better than him at that spot? Then we hand him to the Chiefs? It just feels so wrong. 

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He's one of the fastest WRs in the draft, so no. I like Coleman as well who actually has speed concerns though lol.

Yeah. I read Franklin, I responded Franklin, But my brain short circuited and kept saying Coleman

21 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Absolute disaster unless we trade for one of the established WRs. Even then, why trade with KC? to only move up from the 4th to 3rd?!

You just take a WR and hope it’s the one KC wanted. Not guarantee they get the guy they want. Insane. clearly KC thought their guy could be gone by 32 

not scoring points is going to be fun 🥶🥴

2 hours ago, NoName said:

How do you trade with KC?  The team that kicked your ass every year.  What a moron.

Yeah I have much less of a problem with trading down than I do with WHO they traded down with.

In a word, no.

Especially the first move with the Chiefs. Maybe KC gets the pick right, maybe they don't. What ya don't do is hand the team that whoops your ass in the playoffs every year a chance a player of their choosing. So ***** stupid.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1