Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

The purpose of this poll is to get an idea of how the TBD community feels about Beane’s strategy on night one before the rest of the draft plays out. 

There is no “wait and see” option for a reason. 

I personally like what Beane did and I’m interested to see how others feel. 

Edited by Gugny

If there was no player there that was going to move the needle this year, then I think it was a good move. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. Possible trade for a vet receiver? I don't believe in drafting to keep a player away from other teams.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

Beane historically has made great use of trades during the draft. I think he got caught up in the idea that every trade down is good because you build draft capital. This might all work out, but I don’t think he got enough to make these trade downs worthwhile. It felt like starting out with a brand new car, continuing to trade them in to save money, until you’re finally stuck with a clunker at the end of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I made the terrible mistake of not drinking last night.  Won't let that happen again tonight.  I should know by now the Bills create new ways to kick you in the nuts that you never thought could happen. At this point I should wear a jock strap anytime watching anything Bills related 

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

I voted yes because wait and see is not an option. I'll pontify later when I get to work and can be paid to share my thoughts. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, NoName said:

How do you trade with KC?  The team that kicked your ass every year.  What a moron.

I don’t think worrying about other teams is a good strategy. 

Clearly, there was no one at 28 who the Bills wanted. 

The fact that KC ended up getting a WR with our pick doesn’t faze me. 

I don’t care what KC does. 

I find it hard fo believe that Beane is content going into next season with our current WRs plus any receiver(s) he gets in subsequent rounds. 

He has a plan. 

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 13
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Definitely not, the trade with KC alone makes him a moron. They’re trying to do to Josh what they did to Cam, be Superman and get it done all by himself. This guy prefers to stack 5th rounders over picking 1st rounders. 

Edited by PauleeeWalnuts
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We're gonna end up going into 2024 with Josh Allen and a bunch of JAGs.  I'm pretty salty we didn't make a move for one of the top 4 WRs.  As unrealistic as it may have been to land someone like Odunze,  Brian Thomas certainly wasn't out of reach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

I don’t think worrying about other teams is a good strategy. 

Clearly, there was no one at 28 who the Bills wanted. 

The fact that KC ended up getting a WR without pick doesn’t faze me. 

I don’t care what KC does. 

I find it hard fo believe that Beane is content going into next season with our current WRs plus any receiver(s) he gets in subsequent rounds. 

He has a plan. 

You don’t help the team that’s been eating your lunch for three years, plain and simple. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Based on the Bills top 30 visits it’s really no surprise they moved back. As for passing on Worthy, there must of been something they didn’t like (top 30). 

Deep WR class and needing a DB, the Bills have plenty of ammo to grab both in the 2nd round now. Giving us a few quality, cheap contracts to immediately plug in. 

Do I like it? Not sure, depends on how this all plays out. Cooper DeJean and Troy Franklin are my two guesses for round 2.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

Defiantly not, the trade with KC alone makes him a moron. They’re trying to don’t Josh what they did to Cam, be Superman and get it done all by himself. This guy prefers to stack 5th rounders over picking 1st rounders. 

Late round picks like Stefon Diggs or Steve Johnson?

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

I mainly have issue with the trade with the Chiefs more than anything. 

I’ll see who we get with their 3rd rd pick and then decide. Gunner didn’t even have a 1st rd grade on Xavier worthy. Neither did Joe Marino. Chiefs would likely have taken him at 32 regardless. Bills clearly didn’t want him at 28. His nfl.com draft profile grade says “might eventually become an average starter” …

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hard to say. I like that we now have a 3rd. I like that we have more ammo with four 5th's to get maybe another 3rd by packaging our 4th or get up into the 4th another time or two. Still, Legette was my guy and the Panthers got him. 

I like it because he got a lot of value. I don’t like that he doesn’t have conviction for any WR after the top 4 were taken. He must have similar grades on a few of them and is trying to take small calculated trades back to accumulate more draft capital without missing out on that cluster of 2-3 guys he has rated the same. Here’s hoping AD Mitchell and Troy Franklin are those guys in that group. I trust Beane in this area though and I do think he makes one last little trade back even though I’d jump to the podium for Mitchell right now 

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Late round picks like Stefon Diggs or Steve Johnson?

Far more unlikely to hit on a premium late round pick than it is 1st.   That's like planning your financial future "knowing" you're gonna hit the lottery. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I am in another time zone. I didn't sleep the night 3-7am to watch draft waiting for Bills selection. And when 1st round is over without Bills 1st rounder, I really don't like what Bean did 😠

• Haha (+1) 1

It was the classic move by guys who are stuck in the football mentality of 10 years ago.  It's an offensive league.  You stack speed and talent at WR.  Bills are still trying to "stop" teams on defense.  And they keep failing miserably at it.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, NoName said:

How do you trade with KC?  The team that kicked your ass every year.  What a moron.

I think it depends what your plan is. I like the fact Beane doesn't care what anyone thinks and feel that is a good trait for a GM

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 2

I’ll say what I said a few times earlier.  They don’t need two receivers.  They need two good receivers. He better get them from somewhere.  

…otherwise, Haseked. 

Additionally, if the plan is to trade for an established receiver foregoing cost efficiency WR picks to trade away assets AND pay a fortune in cap space for a WR was not high on my dance card this year.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I can't really say if i like what he did in the 1st round cause i don't even know what he did.

Traded our spots in the 1st, twice for zero picks in the first but got his 3rd rounder and stockpiled 5ths?..........is that right?

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Bills Bud said:

Josh is in the prime of his career, and he has no weapons. What Beane did was unacceptable.

Let’s say the weapon they would have added @28 was AD Mitchell. If they add AD Mitchell @ 33 is it still unacceptable?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

All I know is that the Bills draft plenty of good players, but as we’ve witnessed recently, you need difference makers to get to the next level, and I’m not sure we have enough of that.. not sure that anyone we draft at 28 would immediately rescue our receiver corps from bottom quarter in the league 

1 minute ago, mathja said:

Let’s say the weapon they would have added @28 was AD Mitchell. If they add AD Mitchell @ 33 is it still unacceptable?

These folks thought we were going to trade up to 9 to pick a WR.  

A fantasy that was never ever happening.  

They also think our nemesis is going to trade us Higgins.  And the 49ers are going to trade us their WR 1 A.   Also a fantasy.   

So much delusion.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, mathja said:

It’s still unacceptable. You give KC a deep threat and will be the fastest guy in the league. Good luck covering Worthy over the top, and Kelce underneath…. and if AD Mitchell is any good, you don’t have a fifth year option down the road. Should have just stayed at 28 and took a receiver. These later picks the Bills got are just going to be developmental players 

• Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

You don’t help the team that’s been eating your lunch for three years, plain and simple. 

Neither plain nor simple.

It is clear that Beane did not consider Worthy to be to value pick at 28 so, unless you wanted the Bills to select Worthy just to stop the Chiefs getting him (a real "cut off your nose to spite your face" move), they were going to get him anyway, either by picking him at 32 for free or by trading up with the Cowboys or the Ravens to get ahead of the 49ers (a trade which would have gained nothing for the Bills and which would have cost less for the Chiefs)

So, did you want them to draft Worthy just to deny him to the Chiefs? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, soflabillsfan1 said:

It was the classic move by guys who are stuck in the football mentality of 10 years ago.  It's an offensive league.  You stack speed and talent at WR.  Bills are still trying to "stop" teams on defense.  And they keep failing miserably at it.

The chief’s defense carried them through the playoffs to a superbowl win. 

I like the trade down, seems to be a bunch of second tier wrs. I would’ve liked to pick up more 2025 draft picks but getting more top 160 picks this year is also good. 

Edited by Shortchaz

Voted no just because I’m a big Worthy believer and it’s tough to shake the feeling that the Bills now not only let the Chiefs get Mahomes but also his next Tyreek.

I do get it in a vacuum though. If I were just told hey we made these trades and got these picks but I did not know it was KC then I’d probably be all about having 3 top 100 picks this year.

I wonder how these trades score on the trade charts.   I thought the returns were also a little weak.  Like improving a 7th for a 7th seems like worth single digits on trade chart.  But i did see plenty of mocks with Adonai Miichell who is 6'2 and 205 and runs a 4.34 and hes still there.

Edited by billsfan714
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would have been happy had we taken Leggette at #32, but we will have to wait and see what happens today. If they weren't convinced on the talent left for that #28 slot it was reasonable to trade down. 

We stilll need WR (2, IMO), DT, EDGE, S. 

Lets hope they didn't miss on the player they liked. (we will never know) 

Not really. Through the entire process I wanted Beane to go all in and get Josh a stud WR1 to play with for the next 10 years. I hate being timid. 

Similarly, feels like Beane got caught with his pants down when Jacksonville took BTJr (which was stupid because they have a lot of defensive needs). 

• Agree 1