Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

Gugny

Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?  

429 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like What Beane Did in the First Round?

1 hour ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

No, the Bills could make whatever pick they wanted at 28, you just don’t help KC get who they want through you. 

Picking anyone except Worthy helped KC get who they wanted. This way they at least had to pay something extra

• Like (+1) 2

Nice work, Beane:

(a) The Bills didn't have the ammo to move up high enough to draft one of the top 3 receivers.

(b) Nobody of the blue-chip persuasion dropped to 28.

(c) The remaining talent level is overall very good, and the odds of hitting look pretty equal from 28 through at least the mid 2nd round. 

(d) Beane now holds by far the most valuable pick remaining. Lots of talent still on the board, and he has a full day to field offers from everyone else. One could argue that, given the talent level still available this year, holding pick 33 is worth more than any of the last 5-10 picks of round 1.  

I think the key will be acquiring as many picks above 150 as possible, as I understand there is a big drop-off in talent this year after that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

"Like" is probably too strong this early.

But I've got zero problem with it. It's generally a smart play to trade back.

2 hours ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

You don’t help the team that’s been eating your lunch for three years, plain and simple. 

You absolutely do if they'll almost certainly get the same help whether or not if's you that is helping them, and if helping them helps you more.

Nope. Said I would be happy with Brian Thomas, worthy or Legette.

Didn't do a marginal trade up to get Thomas, and didn't pick worthy or Legette at 28 when they were sitting right there.

Seems like the compensation they got from the trades weren't great, and it also sucks that the chiefs got the fastest guy ever in the NfL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yeah. I read Franklin, I responded Franklin, But my brain short circuited and kept saying Coleman

As someone that has Coleman in the conversation with Franklin for the #5 WR in the draft IMO, Coleman has a lot of red flags. Whoever takes him is gambling on him being a Josh Allen-esq outlier. I am bullish though. Very young, very inexperienced (split time between football and basketball up until the past two years), has the size, elusiveness, and hand-eye coordination that can't be taught and seemingly has the motor to make the most of his gifts.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RousseauRage said:

In a word, no.

Especially the first move with the Chiefs. Maybe KC gets the pick right, maybe they don't. What ya don't do is hand the team that whoops your ass in the playoffs every year a chance a player of their choosing. So ***** stupid.

Do you really think that if we say, "No," they just go hide in the basement and say, "Curses, foiled by the Bills"? They wouldn't. They'd have made the same offer, well, probably giving up less to the team at #29, or #30 and likely got them that way. Hell, he probably would still have been there at #32. No reason to think we'd have stopped them by refusing this offer, no reason whatsoever. So if they are going to get him anyway, much better that they only do it by paying us for the right to do it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

KC isn't great at picking WRs, so it's whatever that it's KC. 

I'm fine with it, but this place is going to implode if we go defense with the 33 pick.  Ultimately I think it's fine, just double dip at WR in the top 100.

Every year, we pick someone in the first and many on here LOVE the “ Can’t miss, steal” of the draft we got.

Someone should bring up the Sammy Watkins thread and everyone should read how they were absolutely CREAMING over the bold pick!!! 
    Beane is doing a classic Patriots draft strategy here. It’s the one so many have wished for. 
   Now , many think he’s a bum and doesn’t have a clue😒

He is apparently not as enamored with these wideouts as many are. I’ll trust him to get it right.

Lastly, we have no idea what he has up his sleeve . Breathe people! In through the nose, out of the mouth, in through the nose, out of the mouth.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

No, the Bills could make whatever pick they wanted at 28, you just don’t help KC get who they want through you. 

Aren’t they essentially hurting KC by forcing them to hand over their 3rd round pick to the bills in order to draft a guy they would have gotten anyway??? Asking for a friend.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Exactly what Im afraid of. When is the last time the Pats were good at drafting?

This whole offseason has been Pats 101. I’ll give him the off season at least before I pull out my pitchfork.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Aren’t they essentially hurting KC by forcing them to hand over their 3rd round pick to the bills in order to draft a guy they would have gotten anyway??? Asking for a friend.

Though why would the Chiefs trade up unless they feared they wouldn't get him?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’ll see who we get with their 3rd rd pick and then decide. Gunner didn’t even have a 1st rd grade on Xavier worthy. Neither did Joe Marino. Chiefs would likely have taken him at 32 regardless. Bills clearly didn’t want him at 28. His nfl.com draft profile grade says “might eventually become an average starter” …

Agree whole heartedly! Also the kid weighs 165 at the most. Highly unlikely he stands up to the punishment in the NFL. There are a very few who overcome that, but very few. Let’s add quality players without reaching. I think it’s a smart strategy. Also KC has become the new darlings of the media, just like the Cheatriots were previously. They were always considered the smartest at the draft and yet New England picks failed miserably for years. 

All things considered, you can't say our FO didn't have their opportunities to make a big splash last night, however, if they feel their best value was in trading back for more picks, then i'm all for it.

They are probably fielding a lot of phone calls this morning anyways, so let's see how it all plays out.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

How do you trade with KC?  The team that kicked your ass every year.  What a moron.

How do you not know Worthy still reaches KC if we don't trade with KC?  Would you rather take some draft capital AWAY from KC and they take Worthy...or let KC get to KEEP that extra draft capital and STILL get Worthy?

The only moronic thing here is that you don't seem to understand this fact that KC was getting Worthy regardless and we instead got their 3rd almost exactly replacing the one we used to trade for Rasul vs them still getting Worthy and keeping their 3rd. 

This fan base can be mind blowing on how they over react and don't see the bigger picture to things.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

As someone that has Coleman in the conversation with Franklin for the #5 WR in the draft IMO, Coleman has a lot of red flags. Whoever takes him is gambling on him being a Josh Allen-esq outlier. I am bullish though. Very young, very inexperienced (split time between football and basketball up until the past two years), has the size, elusiveness, and hand-eye coordination that can't be taught and seemingly has the motor to make the most of his gifts.

My biggest concern about Coleman is his 57% catch percentage. Not that worried about the long speed, as his first 10 yards is quicker than the likes of Jefferson and Chase...

But I want a wr that can catch the ball! That's why I'm kind of thinking Beane has Franklin in his sights... I think Franklin can add upper body strength and weight and get to 190lbs... 

I've also been higher on AD Mitchell than you have all along, but have some recent concerns about his attitude and the way he doesn't always take care of the diabetes. (Of course that could be a smoke screen).

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Though why would the Chiefs trade up unless they feared they wouldn't get him?

Then they would have just traded with the cowboys or ravens, neither of whom were going to draft worthy. SF was the only threat. The Bills got a third by exploiting their worries.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Nope. Said I would be happy with Brian Thomas, worthy or Legette.

Didn't do a marginal trade up to get Thomas, and didn't pick worthy or Legette at 28 when they were sitting right there.

Seems like the compensation they got from the trades weren't great, and it also sucks that the chiefs got the fastest guy ever in the NfL

Quoting this, not to pick on you or argue directly, but since these are kind of the consensus guys the board is in mourning over…

The problem with us fans falling in love with specific players, is we’re basing that on maybe 30% of the overall process. What we get — limited angles of college football games and the now largely for show combine, just don’t factor in as much as the things we don’t get access to: medicals (Thomas reportedly had concerns); psych. evaluations (Leggette reportedly not too bright); interviews both with the player, their teammates, coaches, other staff and support folks (AD Mitchell purportedly has attitude and effort issues); scheme fit and internal staff considerations; other priorities (comfort in cold weather? Willingness to block? Etc.)

I get why folks are annoyed by being told to “trust the process”, but it’s also the most logical option, given how little info we really have available. 

Edited by glazeduck

We ran 2 community mocks with TSW drafting for the Bills.  At both times we came to 28 AD Mitchell was the runaway winner WITH worthy on the board.  Nobody on TSW wanted him with Mitchell still available. 

Legette finished in 2nd place in both of them however when we removed AD Mitchell in v2.0 the board overwhelmingly voted for trading all the way down to 40!

I really liked Worthy as a prospect but it is clear the Bills didn't.  Add me into the group that says if they weren't taking Worthy, it is better to trade down and get some value rather than hold tight and the Chiefs still get Worthy.

Spare me the "they gift wrapped Worthy to the Chiefs" stuff too.  There were 27 other teams that also "gift wrapped" if you want to talk about him being available for the Chiefs.

• Agree 1

Earlier this morning poll was 50/50. Now it's slightly in favor.

Looks like the drinkers last night, later to rise, have a more positive outlook. I better hit the liquor store today. Lol

This only sucks if KC burns us with him.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, section122 said:

We ran 2 community mocks with TSW drafting for the Bills.  At both times we came to 28 AD Mitchell was the runaway winner WITH worthy on the board.  Nobody on TSW wanted him with Mitchell still available. 

Legette finished in 2nd place in both of them however when we removed AD Mitchell in v2.0 the board overwhelmingly voted for trading all the way down to 40!

I really liked Worthy as a prospect but it is clear the Bills didn't.  Add me into the group that says if they weren't taking Worthy, it is better to trade down and get some value rather than hold tight and the Chiefs still get Worthy.

Spare me the "they gift wrapped Worthy to the Chiefs" stuff too.  There were 27 other teams that also "gift wrapped" if you want to talk about him being available for the Chiefs.

* 28 - Dallas traded back but were originally higher up the board. The only team who were never in a position to possibly draft Worthy - save a trade up - was the 49ers.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Every year, we pick someone in the first and many on here LOVE the “ Can’t miss, steal” of the draft we got.

Someone should bring up the Sammy Watkins thread and everyone should read how they were absolutely CREAMING over the bold pick!!! 
    Beane is doing a classic Patriots draft strategy here. It’s the one so many have wished for. 
   Now , many think he’s a bum and doesn’t have a clue😒

He is apparently not as enamored with these wideouts as many are. I’ll trust him to get it right.

Lastly, we have no idea what he has up his sleeve . Breathe people! In through the nose, out of the mouth, in through the nose, out of the mouth.

yay, let’s draft wideouts like the pats 💩💩

5 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Beane and SF are in talks. It's out there. Two second round picks: One tonight and one next year for Ayouk. BOOM BABY!!!

That would shut my whiny ass up 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How do you not know Worthy still reaches KC if we don't trade with KC?  Would you rather take some draft capital AWAY from KC and they take Worthy...or let KC get to KEEP that extra draft capital and STILL get Worthy?

The only moronic thing here is that you don't seem to understand this fact that KC was getting Worthy regardless and we instead got their 3rd almost exactly replacing the one we used to trade for Rasul vs them still getting Worthy and keeping their 3rd. 

This fan base can be mind blowing on how they over react and don't see the bigger picture to things.  

I don't think it is a fact they would have got him regardless. Who knows where San Fran ranked him and equally I think KC was a bit defending themselves against that slew of early 2nd round teams who might have wanted to jump up and possibly they thought Dallas too (although as you know I always thought they were OL no matter what). 

But I do think more likely than not they'd have got him anyway at #32. Let's see what happens next. 

• Like (+1) 2

Obviously the didn't want Worthy - speed does not necessarily equal good production (Santana Moss is the ONLY first round sub 4.e receiver in the history of the NFL to have a 1,000 yard season- Remember John Ross).

Obviously they didn't want Leggette.  There is no doubt that before the second trade they knew who the pick was going to be, or they wouldn't have made the trade.

After the big 3 wrs there are plenty of guys with similar talent (McConkey, Polk come to mind).

DeJean is sitting there, round 1 talent without a doubt!  Jer'Zhan Newton would also be an outstanding pick.  Adonai Mitchell (who was the pick in the majority of mocks is still there).  

The Bills are in the poll position with 31 teams calling to get #33. DON'T be surprised if there is another trade back, if so, it would likely be less than 5 positions.

Also remember, that the Bills increase there cap space by 10 million in a month, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a deal in place for one of SF veteran recievers.

Bottom line is there is a long way to go to complete this rooster.  Don't panic.  There is a plan.  Bean deserves the benefit of a the doubt. 

Brandon Beane is an NFL GM with a team of scouts at his disposal and an entire coaching staff to provide feedback.  I watch games on my couch and read message boards.

Beane clearly didn't want Worthy or Legette, so who am I to question that decision, especially given concerns raised about both players, especially Worthy.  There is obviously someone out there that Beane wants and now he has a materially better position in the middle part of the draft.  He deserves the benefit of the doubt, at least for now.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Sweats said:

All things considered, you can't say our FO didn't have their opportunities to make a big splash last night, however, if they feel their best value was in trading back for more picks, then i'm all for it.

They are probably fielding a lot of phone calls this morning anyways, so let's see how it all plays out.

There was never a "big splash" coming though, that was crystal clear that was not Beane's intent for anyone who actually watched Beanes press conference last week and listened to what he was saying.  I posted it with takeaways and those takeaways came out spot on and matched everything he said last night in his press conference about round 1.  

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254120-brand-beane-press-conf-418/

Now...Bills are armed rest of this draft (only had to move back 5 spaces) to really address some needs on this team, including ammo to move around the draft as he sees fit.  Plus we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds next year still and Beane still also has this coveted pick 33 that I am sure he is getting flooded with offers for if he sees an opportunity that makes sense to take.  

Beane killed it round 1.  Not to mention, Worthy and Legette were the exact 2 WR's I had been very vocal about NOT drafting in round 1.  Worthy is a terrible fit in Buffalo for what this roster needs and Legette has the most to work on to avoid being another Gabe Davis.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

There was never a "big splash" coming though, that was crystal clear that was not Beane's intent for anyone who actually watched Beanes press conference last week and listened to what he was saying.  I posted it with takeaways and those takeaways came out spot on and matched everything he said last night in his press conference about round 1.  

Now...Bills are armed rest of this draft (only had to move back 5 spaces) to really address some needs on this team, including ammo to move around the draft as he sees fit.  Plus we have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds next year still and Beane still also has this coveted pick 33 that I am sure he is getting flooded with offers for if he sees an opportunity that makes sense to take.  

Beane killed it round 1.  Not to mention, Worthy and Legette were the exact 2 WR's I had been very vocal about NOT drafting in round 1.  Worthy is a terrible fit in Buffalo for what this roster needs and Legette has the most to work on to avoid being another Gabe Davis.  

100% this. It’s human to want the bright and shiny object, but this team has a lot of needs both short and long-term. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254120-brand-beane-press-conf-418/

I agree bud. I have been pounding and fighting off these posters all month. We are loaded with capital now. We can fill holes that this team needs.

The other rumour out there is Ayouk for two second round pix: One tonight and one next year. We have both. If SF and Beane can get it done I'm happy and we still hold a second round pick tonight with that deal. Perfect!

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thank god Beane has the ammo to draft the fourth or fifth best safety and the 10th best WR instead of drafting the 4th or 5th WR. This will be wonderful for us.

And we wonder why no one steps up in the playoffs lol.

JAG team building mentality. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

People saying we helped KC are really that dense?

We got equal trade value per the Rich Hill value chart and turned a 4th into a 3rd rd pick.

KC would have drafted Worthy where they sat or even in the 29,30 or 31 spot. The Bills didn't want Worthy.

We went all of 4 spots back.... oh no!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1