Rumor: Bills trying aggressively to move up for a WR in round one

Logic

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

You're right of course, we have such an excellent pass-rush full of young players who will be here a long time. Oh wait, we barely have enough halfway decent DTs and DEs to fill a room and most of them are old. At least we have options at LG and C in the event the guys expected to start there don't play well, right?

Its easier (and waaaaaay more cost efficient)  to pick up veteran D-Line players via the wire and atop rated Wide Reciever via the draft.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Where exactly do we have holes?  Safety? Maybe?   GET AN ELITE WR

No massive holes other than WR. But S, IOL, and DL have mediocre depth at best. We're better off at LB and CB than some believe, but help there wouldn't hurt either.

Just now, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Are you implying that the earlier picks are more likely to be good players? Like, just for example, the 28th picks versus the 9th pick?

The Bills have a good spread of picks at the moment, excluding the 3rd round. Going all in on a WR, in a WR deep draft, is a gamble - which is what they will doing with that proposal.

5 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

If I’m Brandon Beane, I’m not moving my 2nd or 3rd rd picks, too much depth at spots of need this year.

Id prefer to give up something marginal to move up and secure BTJ in the early 20s, rather than trade the farm to move up for Odunze at 9.

We don’t have a 3rd. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, B-Man said:

Its easier (and waaaaaay more cost efficient)  to pick up veteran D-Line players via the wire and atop rated Wide Reciever via the draft.

The poster was suggesting making a trade up where our next pick would be in the 5th round. I didn't poo poo the idea of a trade up, I criticized his terrible trade offer. 

Just now, UKBillFan said:

The Bills have a good spread of picks at the moment, excluding the 3rd round. Going all in on a WR, in a WR deep draft, is a gamble - which is what they will doing with that proposal.

Yep, but not as big of a gamble as you'd think. MHJ, Nabers, or Odunze each would be the top of their WR class in most years so the only reason we have a shot at a #1 is because of the depth.

Joe Marino was asked where they'd rank over all WR prospects from the past three years and he said they're the top three. Of course he still doesn't want to trade up because he has the same unquenchable thirst for picks as the rest of you. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

My long-shot prediction: Bills trade for DJ Moore. Cost is pick #28 and a mix of later/future picks. Maybe a player (Spencer Brown?)

Bills get a proven WR to replace Diggs at a modest $16M cap number for the next two years. Maybe they extend him two years, since he just turned 27 last week. The Bills avoid a roll of the dice on a receiver at 28. They also potentially keep their #2 pick in the deal. If Brown is part of the package they get an RT in the second to compete with Lael Collins. Then we get a WR in the 4th and everything else is depth. 

The Bears, who have only a few picks, stockpile picks and use #28 to nab the 5th or 6th best WR to be their new #2 WR alongside Odunze or Nabers. Brown would also fill a need for them. They end up with two cost-controlled receivers on 5-year rookie deals to go with their cost-controlled QB, freeing them up for big swings in free agency in 2025.

Feasible?

Huh?   Amari Cooper went for a 4th.  

In the last hour, apparently everyone is trading up for Nabers or Odunze and the 49ers are dangling Aiyuk or Deebo to Top 10 teams. 

Ok then..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, SCBills said:

In the last hour, apparently everyone is trading up for Nabers or Odunze and the 49ers are dangling Aiyuk or Deebo to Top 10 teams. 

Ok then..

lol the 49ers believe their getting a top 10 pick for Aiyuk seems a stretch.. let me pass on these 3 long term cost effective blue chip WRs and take the older proven expensive WR.

I mean, I guess but if I were a fan of that team I’d want the GM fired.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, julian said:

lol the 49ers believe their getting a top 10 pick for Aiyuk seems a stretch.. let me pass on these 3 long term cost effective blue chip WRs and take the older proven expensive WR.

I guess it'd be a case of Aiyuk plus a pick or two from the 49ers.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

If I’m Brandon Beane, I’m not moving my 2nd or 3rd rd picks, too much depth at spots of need this year.

Id prefer to give up something marginal to move up and secure BTJ in the early 20s, rather than trade the farm to move up for Odunze at 9.

I’d quicker give up our first AND second next year along with 28 than I would give up 60 and 128 this year. 

I imagine it gets you there. 

7 minutes ago, julian said:

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I guess it'd be a case of Aiyuk plus a pick or two from the 49ers.

Was my take. Probably takes Aiyuk and their late first rounder to get into the top 10 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

28, 60, 128, 144, 2025 1st  for 9 ? 

Heck, throw in both of next year's 2nd's and a 3rd to get #4

Edited by H2o
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, julian said:

There are a lot of dumb GMs. Lynch tends to fleece teams left and right (see getting a 4th for Trey Lance.. a 4th!). Guarantee he makes great moves this draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Could be.

Depends how many 2nd round grades there are. If there are 30+ second round grades, then it would still be a 2nd round pick.

Let me put it this way.........second round "grades" are entirely subjective.........a matter of opinion.

I don't take too much away from most teams having a similar number.........I think that's largely group-think........much like with the recruiting process where all the random services seem to come up with about the same number of 5 stars every year.  (Around 35 every year, fwiw)

Second round picks are an actual thing.

Once the draft starts getting into comp picks it gets weird but the first 2 rounds are designed to give everybody 1 chance each and you know it's not going to be any more than 64 total.

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m saying it’s going to cost both seconds next year.  They know our pick could be 55-64 range.  

It’s going to cost 4-5 high picks to get to 9.  

And we won’t see a first or second round pick again until 2026 barring trading in.  

Ah, that is different.  Might be too steep a price.

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Huh?   Amari Cooper went for a 4th.  

Dallas foolishly was going to cut him for cap space. The Browns pounced. And they only gave up a fifth and swap of sixths. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Wtf is up with those glasses

He’s a douche. Do you expect anything less? What you don’t see in that pic is Bulldog sitting in his lap 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

In the usual "predict a shock" game which takes place in the draft build up, David Carr predicted Marvin Harrison Jr would fall down the draft.

Would you trade up to take him in the top ten? The teens? At 28?

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

It will cost next years first and both seconds. And probably pick 60 in this draft.   

When you are retooling like we are I’m not sure you SHOULD do that.

But if you’re the Bears at 9 - do you do that?  

Maybe.  But I doubt it.  

Maybe 9.

If Odunze gets past 10 then yes.

Depends on the price at 9.

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

In the usual "predict a shock" game which takes place in the draft build up, David Carr predicted Marvin Harrison Jr would fall down the draft.

Would you trade up to take him in the top ten? The teens? At 28?

I'd trade up to number one for the guy

20 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

As per usual Schopp has no clue what he's talking about.

This sets it up for him to cry when the Bills don't send the farm and do what he would like.

Has more to do with sending a willing trade partner the best deal. Believe it or not...not all the teams looking to move back are willing to move all the way to 28. One thing I'm certain of. If Beane wants to make a move...an attempt will be made. He's not shy. He's also not going to be taken advantage of, as well.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No thanks, trade back with Carolina for their 2 seconds

I'm good trading up, or standing pat.  A trade back would be tough.

We traded Stephon Diggs.  We have 2 receivers who are basically #3 guys right now.  We need not just an immediate starter at that position - but a guy who can be an immediate #1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1