Will we be in Super Bowl contention this year?

I have concerns on the defensive side of the ball.  Specifically, with replacing Poyer/Hyde. Replacing their production/leadership will not be easy. Need some leaders to step up on D.

As long as we have JA17, a Super Bowl should always be the goal.  There are alot of shoes to fill going into this season.  I do like that we aren’t really coming up in conversation for Super Bowl contenders.  I think we get a bit overlooked this year, which I think will be good for this team.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

I have concerns on the defensive side of the ball.  Specifically, with replacing Poyer/Hyde. Replacing their production/leadership will not be easy. Need some leaders to step up on D.

As long as we have JA17, a Super Bowl should always be the goal.  There are alot of shoes to fill going into this season.  I do like that we aren’t really coming up in conversation for Super Bowl contenders.  I think we get a bit overlooked this year, which I think will be good for this team.

The Bills currently have the 4th lowest odds to win the Super Bowl. As long as Josh Allen is with the Bills they are in Super Bowl contention. How they address WR determines if they become “more likely” or “less likely” as the season approaches. That’s the only thing left that’s a needle mover one way or the other.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We will be, as long as we get at least one boundary WR in a draft that can start day one, just another one of my opinions…, 

• Agree 3

I agree with OP that defense is the big question mark for me this year. Will we be able to generate a pass rush? Will the secondary make up for the losses? Will Milano stay healthy for a full season?

I expect we'll be okay on offense, but I can't see us going very far if the defense is a notch or two worse than last year.

• Like (+1) 1

It would be very “if the NFL was scripted” if we not only won the SB, but hosted the Texans to get there and Diggs could finally watch the Bills celebration in person… as his new team limps into the locker room broken hearted. Revenge for 2019 and for the Diggs drama all in one. Oh, and we beat the Chiefs in a Divisional playoff game with a blowout. 

sooooo script writers, if you’re reading this, you’re welcome and please do not deviate from my notes here. You can repay me with a Bills SB championship or two over the next 3 seasons

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

30 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I agree with OP that defense is the big question mark for me this year. Will we be able to generate a pass rush? Will the secondary make up for the losses? Will Milano stay healthy for a full season?

I expect we'll be okay on offense, but I can't see us going very far if the defense is a notch or two worse than last year.

I find this baffling. Help me understand. The Bills have plugged in a variety of guys over the McDermott era and have been more or less the same. They’ve played extended periods without Poyer, Milano, Tre, Von, Hyde, etc… The scheme has had them more or less the same defense regardless of who is out there. They play a conservative zone where they try to avoid big plays and keep the game close. Why do we think, with most of the same guys (minus Poyer, Floyd & Hyde plus Milano) that they will be significantly different? Sean McDermott’s defenses are always about the same. Explain why I should be scared? If the answer is “pass rush” they may need to generate more with the blitz but outside of Floyd (who disappeared late in the year) what’s changed? 

The offense has to replace their number 1 and number 2 WRs from last year (not to mention their 4th & 5th). Those 2 guys account for like 250 targets. They added a special teamer and a gadget guy. Why are we comfortable that it’ll work with no boundary WRs on the roster except Shorter and Hollins? The Bills still need 200ish targets from guys not on the roster. It’ll be so easy to defend them right now with no outside threats. There is a Grand Canyon-sized chasm between the need for offense vs. the need for defense right now.

Help me understand how you’re comfortable with the offense but not the defense?

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The questions on defense might be overblown. Both safety spots are really the only positions with significant change. While Hyde and Poyer were great in their time with the team, there is no denying they were both old last season by safety standards. Not out of the question that we are not losing much at all by moving on from both in the grand scheme of things. 

As @Kirby Jackson noted, the defense in particular has played a lot of games in the McDermott/Allen era without key defensive pieces for long stretches. Losing  Floyd, Hyde and Poyer likely doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. 

I get concerned about the defense in the postseason every year though. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

I'm not worried about the D as long as Milano comes back healthy. 

As far as leaders, I recall when we traded for Rasul Douglas he was praised by MANY of his Packers teammates as being a strong leader. I expect him to naturally step up. Bernard in his second year running the defense is a natural guy to step up. Edwards has won 2 Super Bowls. Rapp has a ring. Lots of experience there.

I think what we miss out on as far as the steady leadership we had will be offset by fresher legs. 

One other thing I think that's going to be unpopular. We lost former team captains in Morse, Diggs, Poyer, Hyde, Matakevich ect...but that's not always a bad thing. Just because someone is a leader doesn't mean they lend the right kind of leadership or leadership that can get you to the next level. This was an evolution that needed to happen.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The questions on defense might be overblown. Both safety spots are really the only positions with significant change. While Hyde and Poyer were great in their time with the team, there is no denying they were both old last season by safety standards. Not out of the question that we are not losing much at all by moving on from both in the grand scheme of things. 

As @Kirby Jackson noted, the defense in particular has played a lot of games in the McDermott/Allen era without key defensive pieces for long stretches. Losing  Floyd, Hyde and Poyer likely doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. 

I get concerned about the defense in the postseason every year though. 

Gotta do D line in first, then get Legette and/or Coleman.  Jets look tough but we’ll win division. Just need a couple more plays to get by KC.  We can beat any NFC team.  Any questions?

If contention means a playoff spot, then "Yes." If it means that we will be at least playing in the conference championship, then "No."

We take a small step back and then with more draft capital and a better cap situation, the team puts itself into a legitimate contender again going forward 

Edited by Wizard
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm not worried about the D as long as Milano comes back healthy. 

As far as leaders, I recall when we traded for Rasul Douglas he was praised by MANY of his Packers teammates as being a strong leader. I expect him to naturally step up. Bernard in his second year running the defense is a natural guy to step up. Edwards has won 2 Super Bowls. Rapp has a ring. Lots of experience there.

I think what we miss out on as far as the steady leadership we had will be offset by fresher legs. 

One other thing I think that's going to be unpopular. We lost former team captains in Morse, Diggs, Poyer, Hyde, Matakevich ect...but that's not always a bad thing. Just because someone is a leader doesn't mean they lend the right kind of leadership or leadership that can get you to the next level. This was an evolution that needed to happen.

Agree!!  Change over is good in an organization that didn’t meet goals.

• Agree 1

Yes.

Next question.

47 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

It will be a test of McDermott. Great coaches do more with less

You mean like taking over a team, trading away and cutting players, and making the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades with Tyrod Taylor as your QB?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think the defense looked significantly worse when all the injuries hit this last season. I think this upcoming year will be a bit of a re-tool type season, with some youth on the defense filling starting roles, and young players on offense at the skill positions also taking on new roles with more touches/targets.

I would say the goal this year should be to win the division, and then anything beyond that is gravy. If everything goes perfectly we could win the Super Bowl (with Allen anything is possible).

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes.

Next question.

You mean like taking over a team, trading away and cutting players, and making the playoffs for the first time in 2 decades with Tyrod Taylor as your QB?

Kind of like that, but making it on a last second win by another team to back in and then missing the playoffs the following year still says its a test of McDermott. I know I want to see the team succeed, and that takes good leadership when you have roster turn over. The defense has some concerns but I think we are in good shape knowing we have the draft in front of us with Allen and a solid O. Still need to see what it is like with Babich as DC, and Brady's 1st full season at OC. If things start to go wonky how does he adjust.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

lol no

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I find this baffling. Help me understand. The Bills have plugged in a variety of guys over the McDermott era and have been more or less the same. They’ve played extended periods without Poyer, Milano, Tre, Von, Hyde, etc… The scheme has had them more or less the same defense regardless of who is out there. They play a conservative zone where they try to avoid big plays and keep the game close. Why do we think, with most of the same guys (minus Poyer, Floyd & Hyde plus Milano) that they will be significantly different? Sean McDermott’s defenses are always about the same. Explain why I should be scared? If the answer is “pass rush” they may need to generate more with the blitz but outside of Floyd (who disappeared late in the year) what’s changed? 

The offense has to replace their number 1 and number 2 WRs from last year (not to mention their 4th & 5th). Those 2 guys account for like 250 targets. They added a special teamer and a gadget guy. Why are we comfortable that it’ll work with no boundary WRs on the roster except Shorter and Hollins? The Bills still need 200ish targets from guys not on the roster. It’ll be so easy to defend them right now with no outside threats. There is a Grand Canyon-sized chasm between the need for offense vs. the need for defense right now.

Help me understand how you’re comfortable with the offense but not the defense?

He just didn’t think it through like you did. 

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

Gotta do D line in first, then get Legette and/or Coleman.  Jets look tough but we’ll win division. Just need a couple more plays to get by KC.  We can beat any NFC team.  Any questions?

So we are prioritizing a rotational DL above a #1 (and #2 for that matter) WR? The Bills still have about 200 targets unaccounted for and no boundary WRs (except Hollins & Shorter). Sorry, I don’t see it. As far as needs right now, I see it as:

WR1

WR2

everything else 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

I hear you both that defense is a question mark.  But then, last season with losing Edmunds and not having a clear cut MLB or Von Miller to start the season and with Tre White as a giant ? based on the end of 2022, I thought our defense was iffy and our offense would have to carry us (which, I thought it could)

Turned out it was the other way around - our defense was solid until we lost Tre, DaQuan and Milano, with Floyd playing great in place of Miller and Tre back to his old form.  Our offense was tenuous with splendid plays offset by miscues.

I think the D will be O.K. provided Milano is back to form and we get SOMETHING from Von Miller besides interviews and podcasts.  Both the guys we brought in at S (Rapp and Edwards) can play, so can Douglas and Benford.  Injuries are a huge question right now, as we're thin behind the starters.

I guess from that, my learning is I have more faith in McDermott and Beane to bring forward a defense that works no matter what and to add what they need if they don't, than I do in them to devote enough resources and have the right OC and players in place on offense.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

You have to define what "being in contention" means to you.  That is going to mean different things to different people.

Did you think, for example, that we were in contention to win the SB last year?  I did not.

"In contention" to me means one of a handful of teams being discussed to win a SB and expectations to do so, with some luck, being realistic.

We MIGHT be in contention next year; next year's team doesn't exist yet so it 's hard to comment on that.

I am predicting playoffs and an exit from them right around where we always do, and the post-season discussion being about "heat on McDermott" more than ever, if he isn't fired outright at season's end.

I would gladly trade me being totally wrong for a SB victory.

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You have to define what "being in contention" means to you.  That is going to mean different things to different people.

Did you think, for example, that we were in contention to win the SB last year?  I did not.

Question: did you ever?  

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes.

Next question.

Never forget the emotional trauma suffered by many on this board when they unloaded Sam Watkins and Marcel Darius, too funny!

44 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I hear you both that defense is a question mark.  But then, last season with losing Edmunds and not having a clear cut MLB or Von Miller to start the season and with Tre White as a giant ? based on the end of 2022, I thought our defense was iffy and our offense would have to carry us (which, I thought it could)

Turned out it was the other way around - our defense was solid until we lost Tre, DaQuan and Milano, with Floyd playing great in place of Miller and Tre back to his old form.  Our offense was tenuous with splendid plays offset by miscues.

I think the D will be O.K. provided Milano is back to form and we get SOMETHING from Von Miller besides interviews and podcasts.  Both the guys we brought in at S (Rapp and Edwards) can play, so can Douglas and Benford.  Injuries are a huge question right now, as we're thin behind the starters.

I guess from that, my learning is I have more faith in McDermott and Beane to bring forward a defense that works no matter what and to add what they need if they don't, than I do in them to devote enough resources and have the right OC and players in place on offense.

My gut says we need a better D to do better in the regular season (Pats game, Eagles game, Broncos game, etc.) and better O to go deeper in the playoffs.