Jordan Phillips Signs with the G-Men

I wish him well.  THIS is why I try to root only for the laundry.  The roster will always churn, lose and then regain some good players.

It's a business we are VERY personally invested in. Sayonara Jordan. Stay healthy.  Peace OUT

• Like (+1) 4

I like Jordan Phillips.  Always rooted for the guy, and smiled when the Bills signed him.  He was one of the rare Bills players that looked like he was enjoying himself out on the field.

That being said, he's good, sometimes even great, when rested and until he's injured in some way.  He's just not a player that can perform when banged up.   He'd probably be better if he strategically played every other game .  😀 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Just looking for comp pick terms.

Why anyone would sign a guy that thinks himself should retire is beyond me.  He was brutal last year. 

The Giants starting TE is debating retirement as well. Word must have got out that Buffalo isn't the only place to be to retire in training camp.

• Haha (+1) 5

I loved Big Phil’s energy and his love of the Bills and Bills Mafia, but it was time. Injuries were a big part of it, but, aside from the one year, that energy wasn’t commensurate with his production. G’luck in Jersey Big Phil!

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I loved the guy especially his first go round with the Bills but he is a shell of what he was ! Thanks for what you did for the Bills while you were here & good luck with the G men .

I think he may have a little bit left in the tank but i think this is more of a building his bank account move before retiring more than any thing .

• Like (+1) 3

I hope they over paid,

I've never liked him as a player. I thought he was talented but played outside of the scheme and caused problems. And he got injured all the time. He'd show up for a random game and look dominant only to disappear for the rest of the year, all while being horrible at stopping the run.

I was so happy we didn't re-sign him the first time and I'm happy we didn't re-sign him this off season, too.

But, I wish him the best. I actually think he could be a difference maker on a bad team like the Giants if he stays healthy and plays a little more disciplined. He was too inconsistent to rely on for us.

• Like (+1) 3

One of the most entertaining personalities on the team in recent years, and he made a lot of big plays during his tenure in Buffalo. He will be missed! 

Best of luck with the Giants, Jordan, and Thank You for your contribution to the Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Just looking for comp pick terms.

Why anyone would sign a guy that thinks himself should retire is beyond me.  He was brutal last year. 

I highly doubt they signed him to a comp qualifying contract. He was under the qualification number for us last year. I don't think he got a raise in NY with the state of his health the past two seasons.

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

he's good, sometimes even great, when rested and until he's injured in some way

…which happens FAR too frequently for the Bills to continue giving him a shot.

And let’s be honest: what big game do you look back upon and say, “wow, Jordan really made a difference and helped us win.”

5 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

When he was completely healthy he was a reasonable level rotational DT..

Unfortunately that only happens 2-3 weeks of any year ..

Except in 2019. He was probably my favorite player on that relatively nondescript team.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, MJS said:

I've never liked him as a player. I thought he was talented but played outside of the scheme and caused problems. And he got injured all the time. He'd show up for a random game and look dominant only to disappear for the rest of the year, all while being horrible at stopping the run.

I was so happy we didn't re-sign him the first time and I'm happy we didn't re-sign him this off season, too.

But, I wish him the best. I actually think he could be a difference maker on a bad team like the Giants if he stays healthy and plays a little more disciplined. He was too inconsistent to rely on for us.

This sounds like you are describing AJE.  

Good for him and good luck.

As for the Bills impact, he had one really good season which he cashed in on with the big contract when he left the Bills the first time. Other than that, I always thought he was overrated for many of the reasons already detailed in responses, and also because a segment of the fans liked his "energy" and demonstrative persona on the field, which to me was a lot of over-hype. It reminds me of when fans wanted Cowher as the coach because he was fiery on the sidelines. 

I know he had a lot of injuries, but compare the 2019 season with the aggregate stats for the last 4 seasons (2 with Arizona, 2 with Bills):

2019: 16 games, 9.5 sacks, 13 tackles for loss, 16 QB hits

2020-23: 44 games (which means he missed 23 games due to injury), 9 sacks, 9 TFL, 18 QB hits

I suppose if someone's willing to sign and pay you, why not keep going, but the falloff and injuries scream it's time to call it a career. 

20 hours ago, dpberr said:

I like Jordan Phillips.  Always rooted for the guy, and smiled when the Bills signed him.  He was one of the rare Bills players that looked like he was enjoying himself out on the field.

That being said, he's good, sometimes even great, when rested and until he's injured in some way.  He's just not a player that can perform when banged up.   He'd probably be better if he strategically played every other game .  😀 

Having known a couple pro athletes, they are driven by the competition, not the fun.  They play sports simply to win, and for money.  The better they play, the more they win and the more money they make.   So many pro athletes, when asked if they ever play their sport "for fun" the vast majority say, "No", it's a 9 to 5 job , 6+ days a week, just like everyone else.   Kind of took me by surprise.   

So yeah, just root for the laundry.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol the Daboll/Shoen braintrust with another master stroke....

Without a doubt in my mind Shoen is the "Hey, um...ya gonna eat that?" guy in most office break rooms. Wouldn't shock me at this point if Brandon Beane has a quarter of a meatball sub left from lunch that Joe's waiting out to see if he can swipe.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Hopefully he nets the Bills a comp pick as for the Giants you could do a lot worse as far as rotational backup DT. Phillips second stint here was marred by injury as he would get hurt just as he would start to play well.

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

Having known a couple pro athletes, they are driven by the competition, not the fun.  They play sports simply to win, and for money.  The better they play, the more they win and the more money they make.   So many pro athletes, when asked if they ever play their sport "for fun" the vast majority say, "No", it's a 9 to 5 job , 6+ days a week, just like everyone else.   Kind of took me by surprise.   

So yeah, just root for the laundry.  

I wouldn’t enjoy it either if I had to keep 5-10% body fat, train hard 90% of my life with minimal breaks, be in constant pain and couldn’t eat anything besides lean meat and vegetables