Diggs traded to Texans for picks

2 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

A *Minnesota 2nd in 2025.

Minnesota, being one of the worst teams in the league. Their QB will either be a Rookie or Sam Darnold. Terrible Defense and the Offensive Line and RB are terrible too.

Because we've never seen a team turn it around with a rookie QB

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Can hardly wait 'til McD starts touting the running game and complimentary football and further sabotacges Allen.  I'm happy to move on from Diggs, but not a high powered passing offense.

Sadly things likely true 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

The more I sit here the more I am happy riding out the WR with a pick at 28. Draft OL, DL, LB, and S... Retool this year.

Next year in a healthy cap, 2 picks inside 40, another at 55-65ish we can move up if we want or draft 2 more WRs and more firepower.

Stay at 28. For the love of God. 

WR new RB

Diggs a 4th

Cheetah a 5th

For christ sake, Everyone saying how great Dell is and tean him with Diggs...3rd

I was screaming all off season my plan would be clear the decks, eat all the cap this year...takes pressure of expectations and gear uo for Joshs 2nd half of career. 

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Putin said:

No go get a top WR in this year’s draft and stop playing 

I am not afraid to swing and miss. I just look back to 2014 and all of those surefire prospects that were:

Landry

Beckham

Watkins

Fat Benji

Matthews

Cooks

Robinson

Montcrief

Bryant

Only Evans and Adams were franchise WRs.

So MHJ or bust to move up. Short of that, do your job and scout guys. Draft 2 or 3 mid round, don't reach. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

but, but, but...."he's not going anywhere"!!

Clearly McBeane had enough of this guy dogging it down the stretch.

He will make a decent WR2/3 in Houston

Which a angers me we couldn't get Dell or at very least Brown in return. I don't losing Diggs but with nobody on the active roster to replace him perturbs me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

not surprised by the move.  a bit surprised there was a trade partner.  his salary is immense for the production he put out last season along with his age.   not going to pretend to know what was going on behind the scenes at OBD,  but,  Diggs was a pro,  a team captain,  took a pounding and always showed up,  until recently.  maybe he wanted out,  maybe he dogged it a bit to force his way out.   we do know that he wants to play with his brother,  so moving onto Texas at least gets him closer.  ty for your time here Stefon,  was exciting nearly every week.

to all those that see this as an incoming homerun swing into the top 5 to nab a receiver,   be careful,  receiver is the hardest spot to transition from college to the pros.  top guys flame out or take years to produce,  all the time.   sure theres been a handful of guys lately that were plug and play,  but thats not the norm.  short of  grabbing Harrison Jr,  i wouldnt even bother.  ideally what you want to do is exactly what Beane did those years ago with Diggs,  you want to find an established guy 1 or 2 years into showing consistency,  and trade for that.   the draft is a crap shoot.

1 hour ago, PauleeeWalnuts said:

I’m not sure about capital. They got a 2025 second, gave up a 6th this year and a 5th next year to move him. Feels like Beane got beat up on this one 

I have to disagree.  When you factor Stephon's age, and cap hit for next year, we got a maximum return.  For those that point to the Tyreek Hill trade, he was 2.5-3yrs younger than Diggs at the time of the trade, and a superior asset.  

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

Diggs is better than any rookie until proven otherwise, which is a complete unknown.  With 30 mil dead cap next season.  It was a bad decision. 

It is a good decision if the dissection he was rumored to be causing was true.  I cannot imagine this deal was made without Josh being OK with it.

• Agree 1

Hopefully this means a big move in the draft and lots of resources sunk into the WR position. I have a suspicion that Sean using it to leverage even more being put  into his Defense is more likely. 

26 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We have truly reached a trust the process moment with Beane and McDermott I have a hard time doing this but we are getting absolutely trashed in the national media over this trade right now. They must have some other move in mind cause if they’ve done this at face value man this Is rough. 

They think we traded 27 year old Diggs - actually 27 it sounds like you’re getting old as a WR.  

No we traded soon to be 31 year old Diggs.  

This is why LAST YEAR we were clamoring for not just a WR 2, but someone that could be WR 1 soon.  

All in going WR, WR in this draft if need be.  

Maybe Thomas then Legette in RD 2/3.  Or Ladd.  

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Were we winning with McDermott with the last four playoff performancesby his defense? 

I mean really it is past time especially with Belichick available. 

Right, there's such a huge double-standard there. Like what about McD's horrific postseason chokejobs?

I'm not upset about the trade...but we would've been better off if we traded Diggs and fired McD. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Diggs was a great receiver for the Bills and it's no coincidence that Josh's career took off with his arrival. 

It's disappointing to see so many Bills fans turn on diggs 

Was a great run, but he’s 31 now and production fell off last year.

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Diggs was a great receiver for the Bills and it's no coincidence that Josh's career took off with his arrival. 

Diggs burner account

11 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

here is an outside the box idea.

28 and next years 1 to Dallas for CeeDee Lamb.  Dallas has been dropping hints at not wanting to sign him long term with a possible rebuild next year with a new staff.

He is a do everything wr, extremely arrogant but he plays all the spots, is a YAC guy .....but he needs a monster contract.  A rookie allows them to next year spend money on defense.

how about:

Odell Beckham UFA

If Thomas falls to late teens, trade #28 + our 2025 2nd to grab him

or

Odell Beckham UFA

#28 Ladd McConkey

Trade #60+ a 2025 3rd to low/mid 40s and grab Franklin, Legette or Polk

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

That’s what most fans do.  It’s a coping mechanism of the loss they know it will be.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hold fast to the belief that nothing matters except Josh. He is the key to the team. I like shifting to a Patriots mold of wide receiver, guys who run precise routes who Brady didn’t have to force the ball to. No true number 1. Ideally your QB can drop back, read the defense and throw the ball to the open guy, and trust that those guys will be where they are supposed to be. That isn’t Gabe Davis. And Josh had some pressure on him to force the ball to Diggs. Those guys are now gone. This is a good shift. 

Now this is obviously a downgrade in talent, but in the long run we may be better off. In my mind Dalton Kincaid should be the number 1 target ala Gronk with the Pats. 100% they need to draft two guys early imo. 

It’s ok to be upset about losing Diggs. It is also ok to say good riddance. Both groups are right. They gave it 4 years and it didn’t work out. It’s also ok to get emotional about it, but that’s kind of a waste of time. Now everyone gets to see what Diggs would like in the Shanahan style offense. Houston will be good as long as Stroud doesn’t feel forced to feed Diggs. He’s basically the number 3 there. 

Finally, in terms of compensation, obviously it isn’t good. But the market dictates that and it just kind of is what it is. We don’t know exactly what was going on behind closed doors, but for Beane to eat 30 million of dead cap, one must assume it was at the point of no return. 

It’s a new beginning and as long as we have Josh, we have a chance. 

Agree with Josh we have a chance, but we need a number 1–the last 2 postseasons showed that.  Josh is not on the same planet as Brady in terms of reading defenses (most qb are not). Hopefully we draft one of the big 4 and get another good vet. 

1 minute ago, Robert Paulson said:

Samuel takes over Diggs routes. I saw his highlight film and i was-those are Diggs' routes, this won't work. now i get it. The questions for me is who will stretch the field? Shakir or a rookie maybe unless they expect Kincaid to be Kelce.

I’m alright with the trade because I don’t think Diggs is the same guy anymore. I am worried about not having someone who can stretch the field. I don’t know if Kincaid will ever be that guy. I think he can be great, but I don’t see any Kelce in him. Additionally, KC did just fine with mediocre receivers, but Allen is a different QB. He needs someone who can make big plays, win contested catches, and stretch the field. Allen slinging it downfield is too important to not have that type of receiver. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffblue said:

I can potentially get on board with this. No matter what, I won't quite know how to feel until the summer

Like Plenz is helping me point out. Look how many of these guys didn't come in the first. Especially recently. A lot of guys look real good because their QB and college system. This is the NFL and the athleticism of the CB, as well as the skill set of defense has changed. Defenses are skilled now, not knockout types. They're shells of themselves playing flag football.

In terms of value a future 2nd is less the ideal for a top 5 wr.  Curious how Chris Simms spins this.  Multiple times down the stretch last year he stated that defenses were not going out of their way to take away Diggs.  At most they might bracket him with a body and alignment but not truly doubling him.  A 30 year old plus wr traded for a day 2 pick is about top of market.  On paper its a loss we will see if on the field and standing if it will be.  Compensation is about right.  Truly and end of an Era for Bills football.  Does not mean the team going forward cant meet new heights.  

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

A lot of homers on this board. Any other board this trade is an F

Interesting calling people homers when Diggs is basically in your user name. 

Maybe it is a negative for this year (maybe), but it is undoubtedly a positive for the future. You can't sit here and say that having Diggs on that contract for 4 more years would be a good thing. Did Beane screw up in giving that extension? Yes, and now he's taking his medicine. 

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Double dipping in one of the deepest WR class, looks like a strong possibility.

Rebuild with 2 young WRs, get comp in 2025 and cap relief next yr

THIS is how a shrewd GM does it!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Diggs is better than any rookie until proven otherwise, which is a complete unknown.  With 30 mil dead cap next season.  It was a bad decision. 

there were multiple rookies better than diggs last yr

3 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wow!! Just saw this online and came here.

First thing for me is that I said again and again that it wouldn't happen, that there were way too many negatives for the Bills to cut him. But also that trading was at least possible, but really unlikely, unless he forced his way out.

So, first, I was wrong. I did put in the caveat, but I just didn't think it would happen. So, how wrong I was isn't possible to say exactly yet, but wrong. Significantly wrong.

Second, I have to fight my confirmation bias. Because I added the caveat, I have to fight an automatic belief that I know why this happened, that he did force his way out. I will try, for that reason, not to comment too much on the reasons it happened. My opinion is compromised.

It still seems like the most likely reason for this. But perhaps it wasn't quite that he forced his way out, but that it just began to look like if we kept going with him, it was going to become uncomfortable.

Just hear Anthony Prohaska from Cover1 say this, "Because of the financial implications, you don't make a move like this unless it's absolutely necessary from a roster perspective. from a team perspective, from a culture perspective."

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lK64gxxwMU

He continued, "The Bills right now, without Stefon Diggs on the field, are not a better football team than they were in 2023. Even a diminished version of Stefon Diggs is still a very very very good football player, and as we talked about, early in the season he was on a historic pace, another record-setting year for a #1 WR who had previous record-setting years here."

And, "No matter how you slice it, the Bills are not a better football team for moving Stefon Diggs, jettisoning him to the Houston Texans. And especially considering what they got back in that package, also having to give some picks themselves, it really just seems like a 'we've gotta get rid of this guy' kind of move, even though schematically and on the field it hurts you, in addition to the financial implications."

Yeah, that. Jettisoning appears to be the right word. Jeez. And I'm so depressed that that second rounder is from 2025, although I've seen at least one source say it was 2024. But nearly everyone says 2025. Man, depressing.

They have taken a major step back for this year.

no they haven't lol

dont conflate you being wrong w the team being wrong

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s what most fans do.  It’s a coping mechanism of the loss they know it will be.  

not really bad to turn on dogging it diggs.  he turned on the bills first, so screw him. 

• Like (+1) 2

I've waited to post on this until I could find some positive spin, but I just can't. The Bills WR room, right now, consists of the 3rd option on the last-place 2023 Washington Commanders and a 5th-round slot receiver. That's it. The Buffalo Bills currently have ZERO elite weapons on offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can't give it more than a C. Diggs put the organization in a tough spot and forced his way out, basically. Impossible for the Bills to come out on top in a situation like this.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1

Again, though, for those of you saying "Beane has a plan" - if he had a "plan" why didn't it involve targeting more WRs in LAST YEAR'S draft than Justin Shorter?  Now they're scrambling to fill a hole that should've been addressed already.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Fans started to turn on him when he went from being a team first fantastic football player to a me first decent football player. 

• Agree 2