Jaguars Manager of Financial Planning stole 22 million from the team

Gregg

"Hey the money is just there, they won't notice a few bucks."  Says everyone who embezzels money from their employer. Next thing you know you're in too deep.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Haha (+1) 1

This does make me think about how easy it would be for a GM to take kick backs. I’ll overpay you $5M if $1M makes it into this offshore numbered account. I’m sure there are quite a few agents happy to do that for a cut. 

1 minute ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Doesn't everybody steal millions from their employer ?

Banks are ripe. If you walk in, hand a note to a teller and take $2k out you’re almost 100% screwed. Bank robbers almost always get caught. Next to a post office they’re the dumbest thing to rob. But if you are an employee who embezzles hundreds of thousands of dollars, they’ll fire you and sweep it under the rug. No jail time because the bank will want to keep it out of the news because that will be a problem for their reputation and stock price. 

24 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

This does make me think about how easy it would be for a GM to take kick backs. I’ll overpay you $5M if $1M makes it into this offshore numbered account. I’m sure there are quite a few agents happy to do that for a cut. 

Banks are ripe. If you walk in, hand a note to a teller and take $2k out you’re almost 100% screwed. Bank robbers almost always get caught. Next to a post office they’re the dumbest thing to rob. But if you are an employee who embezzles hundreds of thousands of dollars, they’ll fire you and sweep it under the rug. No jail time because the bank will want to keep it out of the news because that will be a problem for their reputation and stock price. 

Most banks don't even have a lot of money on hand. I found this out when I went to buy a motorcycle with cash. I went to my local Bank of America branch on a Friday and wanted to take out $16,000. Naturally, I assumed that they had loads of cash back in the vault, but apparently they don’t. They said we can't give you the $16k because it's payday, and we don't want to give away that much cash on a payday. I ended up having to go to three different branches to scrape together the $16k. LOL They said in the future, if you want a lot of cash, place an order for it beforehand.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

"Hey the money is just there, they won't notice a few bucks."  Says everyone who embezzels money from their employer. Next thing you know you're in too deep.

A former HS classmate of mine got caught.  Almost half a million, he was doing fake refunds through his position at work to his personal credit cards.  Blamed it on his addictions.  

37 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I keep asking but @Chef Jim won't tell me how to set one of these accounts up.  

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Most banks don't even have a lot of money on hand. I found this out when I went to buy a motorcycle with cash. I went to my local Bank of America branch on a Friday and wanted to take out $16,000. Naturally, I assumed that they had loads of cash back in the vault, but apparently they don’t. They said we can't give you the $16k because it's payday, and we don't want to give away that much cash on a payday. I ended up having to go to three different branches to scrape together the $16k. LOL They said in the future, if you want a lot of cash, place an order for it beforehand.

Yeah that’s a thing they started doing when people really robbed banks. You gonna rob a bank for 4K? And get how much jail time? 

Nah just keep it somewhere far safer and it won’t be an issue 

9 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

A former HS classmate of mine got caught.  Almost half a million, he was doing fake refunds through his position at work to his personal credit cards.  Blamed it on his addictions.  

Yeah that is what will drive some people to do something they never would of done without the addicition. Just ask the lifelong addict giving blowies for a few bucks

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ha! Small potatoes! I saw a story the other day where some gal in Purchasing recently stole over $100 MILLION from the US Military and bought dozens of houses and cars. I mean….WTF! 

They really ought to start up a money laudering class in the HS curriculum

14 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

yeah for the most part regional bank branches don't keep all that much hard cash on hand anymore. That's why you don't see as many bank robberies anymore: it's a lot of risk and attention for not a lot of money on hand.

More common targets now are marijuana dispensaries. Because of the strange mix of federal and state regulations, they are a mostly cash only business and banks will not allow corporate accounts (because banks are federally regulated). This means that you have a slew of cash only businesses, whose bookkeeping is always going to be suspect and an inability to get any federal law enforcement involved.

The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Yeah that is what will drive some people to do something they never would of done without the addicition. Just ask the lifelong addict giving blowies for a few bucks

They really ought to start up a money laudering class in the HS curriculum

Most of these kids can't launder shirts let alone money.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Yeah that’s a thing they started doing when people really robbed banks. You gonna rob a bank for 4K? And get how much jail time? 

You know who gets robbed a lot?  Colorado Weed Dispensaries.  

Well that might have changed but I watch a news special on it a few years ago.  They can't put the money in banks so they always have a lot of cash at the store.

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The money is all theoretical now. Backed by the faith and goodwill of the American people. 😅

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well that might have changed but I watch a news special on it a few years ago.  They can't put the money in banks so they always have a lot of cash at the store.

My brother lives in Littleton, CO and does accounting. He had a very nice offer from a dispensary to come be their bookkeeper, but turned it down. Reason one was because he saw how much cash they had on hand and didn’t want to die in a robbery. The other was that he was afraid it would be a problem on his resume if he wanted to move on to another job. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Why not just ask the bank to write a cashier's check? That's as good as cash for purchasing a vehicle or paying closing fees on a house, and it's a lot safer than having sixteen grand in your pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Our local dispensary (in Illinois) has at least three armed guards on site at all times. They don't accept credit cards, but they accept debit/ATM cards, which cuts down on the cash they keep. They check your ID when you walk in and scan it for their records if you're a new customer. And there are cameras all over the place. I'm not inclined to rob anybody, but if I were, that would be a place I'd skip.

22 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Why not just ask the bank to write a cashier's check? That's as good as cash for purchasing a vehicle or paying closing fees on a house, and it's a lot safer than having sixteen grand in your pocket.

The seller wanted cash, and also, there have been cases of fake cashiers checks too…Google it. Now, I suppose if we had met at a BofA branch, they could have verified it, but we met at an IHOP in Athens, GA, and I had traveled up there from FL (in car with wife/I drove new bike home).

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I keep asking but @Chef Jim won't tell me how to set one of these accounts up.  

Being serious - I used to have a few (and not much in them!).  Back when I used to travel overseas a TON.  Trust me...once the Patriot Act went into place after 9/11, that #*&$ all went away in a big hurry.  Don't think for a minute you can hide stuff offshore.  You'll get a note from the IRS, and you'd better answer it FAST.

7 hours ago, Gregg said:

Thank goodness Kraft’s massage parlor wasn’t mentioned.   😋

(I like to get that in when I can.)

How people think they can get away with stuff like this kills me. We sold our first house to a husband and wife who were both attorneys. They wanted to do something funky with the contract, the details of which escape me now. WE didn’t do anything wrong, but I think they were trying to improve their mortgage options. It was just…..odd.  A decade later he’s disbarred for dipping into client escrow funds. I just don’t get some people. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Are you a Merrill Client too? Happy to try and help if you need anything in the future.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:22 AM, Gregg said:

According to documents filed Monday in the Jacksonville division of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida, Amit Patel had sole authority to approve charges to the team's virtual credit card, a charge account that doesn't require a physical credit card.

Yeah, there's a good set of financial controls for ya.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/31/2024 at 5:36 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Ha! Small potatoes! I saw a story the other day where some gal in Purchasing recently stole over $100 MILLION from the US Military and bought dozens of houses and cars. I mean….WTF! 

Yep, and she would never have been caught if she had been more intelligent about how she spent the money.

On 1/31/2024 at 8:36 AM, SoCal Deek said:

No accountability. I encourage everybody to steal, embezzle and skim from every mega-corp and the gov. It's our money anyway, ***** em

Good luck with this:  The Jacksonville Jaguars have asked FanDuel to reimburse them for some or all of the approximately $20 million in stolen proceeds a former employee lost on the site, but the company is unwilling to pay, a source familiar with the situation told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39444143/jacksonville-jaguars-fanduel-amit-patel-stolen-millions

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.