Josh Allen not in Pro Bowl because of Pebble Beach tee time, Minshew going as alternate

For some reason, some still believe that Josh is getting snubbed again for the Pro Bowl, but that's not the case.

"For some who buy in to the “Minshew Magic” the quarterback brings, they were excited to see the quarterback get this accolade after he stepped up this season when starter Anthony Richardson got hurt. For other fans, they questioned why Minshew deserves the honor over other accomplished quarterbacks in the AFC, like Josh Allen of the Buffalo Bills.

It’s worth noting that NFL players can turn down a Pro Bowl bid due to a prior engagement or because of injury. In Allen’s case, it appears that he has a tee time at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am already booked for Pro Bowl weekend, which could explain his absence in Orlando."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/01/30/gardner-minshew-colts-surprise-selection-pro-bowl-alternate-reactions

48 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The only year they didn't snub him and put him as an alternate was the year there wasn't a Pro Bowl, every other year he pretty much could have gone but didn't, I'm not sure he'd he even go if he got in not as an alternate.

If I'm Josh I'm never going to a pro bowl as an alternate.  Much rather be teeing off at pebble. Right choice 17.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

The MVP didn't make the Pro Bowl, Go figure..

.Maybe Josh's girl will win an Academy or Oscar award lol

Jackson was excused for personal reasons I believe, with CJ Stroud taking his place. 

I'm worried about someone getting hurt in that flag football game... at least it's not on sand I guess, but flag football definitely can get physical and they're probably going to actually try

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

The Pro Bowl is stupid, meaningless and boring. 

Agree. When writers reference pro bowls as credentials for HOF consideration, I find it completely bogus. All-Pro is the only thing that means anything outside of SB wins and individual statistics. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Yeah... but not attending means people can still joke that he's not a Pro Bowler. Just go dammit! 😆

It is a little comical that people use a lack of Pro Bowls against him when he could have gone to at least 4.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I can’t remember if Josh has turned down a legitimate pro bowl invite. I believe the ones he passed on have all been as an alternate because someone else didn’t/couldn’t go. 

Edited by Brand J

It's the most meanless event in sports .... it's not even a "sport" .... It's a made-for-TV gameshow type of thing. It's the "Biggest Losers" of sports--you can only be there if your team didn't make the playoffs or just lost in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

When someone passes as an alternate they don’t get credit for 5 people down the line Minshew says sure I’ll go so he is a pro bowler?   Pro bowl has always been a joke but alternates should not ever get credit when someone ahead backs out.  

I don't really care for the Pro-Bowl tbh and the rosters are a glorified popularity contest based on name recognition. But at the same time I don't love the look that a football player puts a ceremonial golf event ahead of a ceremonial football event. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BananaB said:

The pro bowl is so stupid at this point why would he even bother. They snubbed him before he snubbed them

Exactly. I’m willing to bet Allen will never agree to go, even if he was voted a starter. Allen remembers disrespect and I fully expect him to never show up to a pro bowl. He’s got way better things to do with his time. 

Edited by Billznut

I don't care that he skips the Pro Bowl, it's not even a game anymore.  I do care that he's not voted to the AFC team.  After Allen's career ends, like all his QB colleagues... all their NFL honors will be tallied up and placed on their resumes.    Josh will have like 1 Pro Bowl, no MVP's, no nothing.  It's silly but sad for the career he will have.  The guy is a one man offense.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I don't care that he skips the Pro Bowl, it's not even a game anymore.  I do care that he's not voted to the AFC team.  After Allen's career ends, like all his QB colleagues... all their NFL honors will be tallied up and placed on their resumes.    Josh will have like 1 Pro Bowl, no MVP's, no nothing.  It's silly but sad for the career he will have.  The guy is a one man offense.

It's not just sad, it's f------ criminal.

The pro bowl is a joke but you're dead on, the effect it has on a guy's perception at the end of his career certainly isn't.

• Like (+1) 1

30 years ago the Pro Bowl was a fun event for the fans and it meant something to the players. Have to remember back then they weren't making the cash they do now. The extra game check did mean something to the players back then and they got a free Hawaiian vacation out of the deal. 

These days, why would a guy that makes $40M-$50M care about an extra...what $80,000? Heck top flight players are going to lose money in the deal as some are likely shooting s few commercials. And yes, the injury risk is there even even in a flag football game. 

The only drawback I see to someone like Allen not attending is that I know players use this opportunity to recruit guys and get them to come in as FAs. At least they used to. The last few actual games they tried to play were just an abomination.

Though I will admit I don't mind the skills challenge stuff. It's kinda fun to see.

I would actually make the "Pro Bowl" more ridiculous of an event. Make it so no one could be in the skills challenge for their own position. So for the QB skills, instead of seeing Minshew and other QBs, I'd have guys like Justin Jefferson, Jason Kelce and so on. Let's see Vita Vea shagging punts. Give me Joe Flacco on the obstacle course. Let's see the tug of war with just kickers and punters. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Look, the Pro Bowl never meant much and it means even less now. Right now, the Pro Bowl is a useful bargaining tool for players when negotiating a contract. It means that they played at a high level that year and have a public fanbase interested in them meaning that they are a name. And I will not begrudge players that. When it was held in Hawaii, that was a chance at a paid vacation in the winter when people might otherwise not have the excuse to go and that was a nice treat for players who deserved some recognition for a good season.

Then they moved it to Arizona. Legit, who wants to go to Arizona? Now? It's in Orlando? I don't know if you can pay me to go to the tourist death trap that is Orlando.

Enjoy your tee time Josh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

FYI for anyone interested Josh is once again paired with Keith Mitchell and will be playing alongside Tom Brady and Keegan Bradley. 

The west coast to be hit with a couple rounds of very wet "atmospheric rivers" this week and later in the weekend.  Looks cool, cloudy and rainy at Pebble Beach for the golf event.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I didn’t even think this game was still a thing 

I’m pretty sure that they don’t even play a real game anymore. Just from reading this thread, I guess they play some flag football and have a skills competition?

As far as JA not going, I do agree that personally, I too would rather be playing at Pebble Beach than going to this sideshow, but….it is a snub to the NFL, AND also to fans who certainly would like to see him there. My feeling is that it just doesn’t look good. The pro bowl date is known months before it happens, and good players know they may be tapped to go, so they should keep that date open and be ready to go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.