Joe Brady Officially Promoted as Bills OC!

KDIGGZ

34 minutes ago, Shortchaz said:

The afc rep in the superbowl has zero wide receivers. 

Nah rice is good. KC has once again (coaching) morphed their offense to fit the times and using a quick pass , screens . Hit the te and RBs and sprinkle in wr. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

So here is a breakdown of Brady's LSU stuff. Looks to be a mix of wide spread stuff and compressed bunch formations which is a lot of what we saw towards the end of the year. 

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2022/1/28/22904266/miami-hurricanes-football-film-review-joe-brady-bunch-sets-as-oc-rumors-come-full-circle-cristobal

A breakdown of his smash of stuff. 

A lot of this stuff looks familiar. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Why not?  McD's got a 3 year streak of firing a coordinator to take heat off himself for disappointing post-seasons.  

Funny thing about McD...he knows the owners aren't going to fire him with 4 years and 35M in guarantees due.  I haven't even heard he needed to meet with them post season either.  Besides, Terry has enough to contend with and wants nothing to do with a HC search.  

Brady will do what Dorsey and Daboll wouldn't (with Josh at QB): coordinate the offense to be "complementary" to the defense.  And that means more running, more safe throws, a decent regular season record, and losing to KC/CIN or whomever actually runs a competent offense they play in the post-season.  

I'm not sure what your post has to do with mine.  McDermott chooses the coaches. Dorsey and Daboll did what they were told by their boss too.  You think Dorsey went rogue with some elaborate offensive scheme in defiance to McDermott? That's actually hilarious. 

FYI, I'm not a McDermott supporter.  

Just now, Steptide said:

I hope they do a pc with Brady now that he's officially hired. I'd really love to know his thoughts on having a full off season to create the offense 

I remember he was lauded as a pretty strong up and coming guy for the league before the blunder in Carolina.  Really hoping we found something with him.  Listening to a PC from him would be really nice insight that I'd love to hear.

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

So here is a breakdown of Brady's LSU stuff. Looks to be a mix of wide spread stuff and compressed bunch formations which is a lot of what we saw towards the end of the year. 

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2022/1/28/22904266/miami-hurricanes-football-film-review-joe-brady-bunch-sets-as-oc-rumors-come-full-circle-cristobal

A breakdown of his smash of stuff. 

A lot of this stuff looks familiar. 

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense that we would run the compressed bunches considering our personnel. I am hoping he is able to open up more with a real #1/#2 combo of Diggs and a rookie.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Could have or should have?

Could have. “Should have” depends entirely upon your perspective. Guess what people, somebody always loses in a playoff game. It would be childish to think it should never be our team. 

2 hours ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Yes create plays please that throw our top Wr’s open. Look at the play design on the Vikings. No matter what JJ gets the ball and the defense knows it and can’t stop it. Great play design to throw him open all the time 

Watch the first couple of drives by the chefs against us. mahomes throwing to a spot on timing.  Picked us apart for a bit.

• Like (+1) 1

I like the hire.  You need to pair a good rushing attack along with Josh Allen's skill set.  They need some explosive plays in a game but sometimes the opponent does a good job taking that away.   Kansas City is the gold standard and they generate some big plays from Pacheco runs and often just some catch and runs from Kelce or whoever.    

47 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I remember he was lauded as a pretty strong up and coming guy for the league before the blunder in Carolina.  Really hoping we found something with him.  Listening to a PC from him would be really nice insight that I'd love to hear.

Recent events in Carolina suggest Brady probably wasn't the issue. That team has been a trainwreck since Tepper got there

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Recent events in Carolina suggest Brady probably wasn't the issue. That team has been a trainwreck since Tepper got there

Agreed. To compound it, Brady was let go under Matt Rhule who seems to continue failing upwards.

I will judge Brady on what I've seen him do when handed the keys here.

• Like (+1) 1

Time will tell.  

I liked the fact that he is not afraid to keep running the ball.  That's where winning starts on offense.  The Bills learned to do that this year and they have a nice group at RB, TE and O-Line.  This should continue.

Hopefully they add a veteran wr and draft one and maybe justin shorter can help some also and the bills have weapons that can get open and catch the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

He seemed to unlock Shakir. He also seemed to find a good balance for Josh. Need to see a little more aggression and less throws right at the LOS. But I support the hire. He and Josh basically need to live together this offseason. 

34 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That's what I'm thinking as well.  It's Sabres level bad of foundational issues

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

I'm not sure what your post has to do with mine.  McDermott chooses the coaches. Dorsey and Daboll did what they were told by their boss too.  You think Dorsey went rogue with some elaborate offensive scheme in defiance to McDermott? That's actually hilarious. 

FYI, I'm not a McDermott supporter.  

I'm saying it's suspect that everyone jumps on board the OC decision when there's an underwhelming track record hiring coordinators.  

This is a macro level discussion which has devolved into isolated issues.  Brady will implement the offensive game-plan which aligns with the HC's guidance.  Right or not, it comes back to McD. 

My concern is, particularly since the 2020 off-season, that Buffalo will maintain status quo, and the offense will be built as if the Bills had a game-manager or slightly better QB.  Brady's hiring seems to point in that direction, though it's a long off-season.  We'll see. 

3 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Obviously. You don't think we could have beat the Ravens? 

Anything can happen any game.  Beating KC is not an automatic SB bid.  Cause they had a bad game against KC you think it would have played out the same way?  Not the way things happen in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

Completely predictable.  McDimwit is interested in HIMSELF and KEEPING HIS JOB.

No way in the world he'll ever end up with a coordinator again who could challenge him in terms of experience, authority, seniority in the league, etc.

He wants everything under his control...which is why we will end our season next year just as we did this year.

The only question facing this franchise, now, as a fan, is WHEN will Pegula hit his patience threshold with McDimwit and actually FIRE HIS ASS.   

I'm afraid Pegula may be happy with what he has an intends to keep McD forever.

• Eyeroll 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Definitely feel like he earned getting the nod and do feel some excitement seeing him get a full offseason at the job and hopefully with some more downfield weapons.

Would have liked a more through search just so the team could have gotten a better look at offensive minds coming up around the league, but I could see how if Brady was their guy they might have needed to get it done with other teams willing to give him an OC job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No way in the world he'll ever end up with a coordinator again who could challenge him in terms of experience, authority, seniority in the league, etc.

He wants everything under his control...which is why we will end our season next year just as we did this year.

The only question facing this franchise, now, as a fan, is WHEN will Pegula hit his patience threshold with McDimwit and actually FIRE HIS ASS.   

I’m so confused. Wouldn’t hiring the wrong coordinator hurt his job security?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m so confused. Wouldn’t hiring the wrong coordinator hurt his job security?

Ssshhhh, you're frightening the "McDermott is terrible regardless of any evidence to the contrary" crowd.

43 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Would love to see them hire Greg Roman as an assistant head coach and senior offensive assistant. Miss what he brought to the run game! 

I will say that the return of the jumbo formations in the Dallas and KC games were welcome returns in my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What does “he wants everything under his control” even mean?

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I’m still a little disappointed in the KC loss to have coherent Bills related thoughts, but the passing aspect worries. Brady actually did a good job, but we don’t know if he can scheme a reliable passing game. We scored points, and played good ball, but I don’t know if that’s a sustainable style long term. 

That chiefs game was a gem by Brady imo.  Our players just couldn’t hit on one big play with a multitude of opportunities.  Felt like he had spags number in that game to me and the chiefs dodged a ton of bullets 

23 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What does “he wants everything under his control” even mean?

People hate McDermott so much that they literally want our head coach to hire someone that will start a power struggle? Haha that’s legitimately insane 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

People hate McDermott so much that they literally want our head coach to hire someone that will start a power struggle? Haha that’s legitimately insane 

I don’t see why there would even be a power struggle since McD has given his OCs free reign to run the offense how they want.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That chiefs game was a gem by Brady imo.  Our players just couldn’t hit on one big play with a multitude of opportunities.  Felt like he had spags number in that game to me and the chiefs dodged a ton of bullets 

Not to mention, if Bills have a top-5 offense again next season yet fail to bring home either trophy, McD likely just promoted the guy who replaces him. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I don't think that's the criticism.  IMO, there is considerable reason to distrust McDermott, just as the other side has reason to praise him.  McDermott has proven he's a defensive mastermind... but there are concerns about his handling of other coaches... IE the power struggle/mutual dislike between him and Daboll, the odd handling of Frazier walking away, WR coach Chad Hall leaving Buffalo for a lateral move to Jacksonville the year after his players bought him a truck because he didn't want to be here (he had to request to leave in order to take a move like that), and there are other positional coaches who've left for lateral or even down to college moves at a higher rate than you see from other places that are winning.  

Usually when coaches leave it's to take a promotion, especially if you're coming from a winning organization like Buffalo has been. But when you're taking lateral moves or downgrading yourself from the offensive line coach of the bills to the offensive line coach of Virginia Tech, there's something wrong. Either your head coach doesn't know how to hire assistant coaches, or the assistant coaches refuse to want to work with the head coach. Again we are winning, it's not like these guys are massively underperforming in their duties... 

It's VERY clear, Buffalo is McDermott's show... His way or the highway... And players and coaches who don't like it can pound salt.  

The concerns with this are that he's defensive minded, conservative, and I agree that he wants th Bills to play a safe no-risk offense to mitigate risk and win close games.  That's just not Josh Allen though... Dudes a gunslinger, he'll make mistakes, but tons of WOWZAH plays too... He's modern day Brett Favre, and you need to ride out th bad with the good.  But I think McDermott wants a regulator on the motor, which hampers things. 

You could hear it in his interviews, especially when they were six and six, McDermott openly talked about how the defense was doing great in the offense needed to match it. I mean that's not necessarily incorrect when the defense was standing at its head in the offense underperformed under Dorsey, that's why he was fired. But at the same time you're the head coach, everything rolls up under you too. It was a clear divide within the team, it was McDermott versus the offense not hey we need to be better. It was they as in the offense needed to be better. I thought it was very jarring to hear comments like that from a head coach, and frankly previous years he didn't sound like that. That was new to him being the defensive coordinator and head coach. I think it created more divisiveness within the team because his focus and even his handling of situational play calling and clock management has changed for the worse and more conservative.

Saying just because we're winning means McDermott is doing a great job is massively flawed. But also saying McDermott has to go without actually citing reasons is equally flawed. I personally think McDermott is a product of having a great general manager, and Josh Allen.... McDermott did hand pick both... But I think his overly conservative nature, his terrible clock management, and his unwillingness to let Josh be Josh unless it's regulated in a way he's comfortable with is a huge problem.  I'd love to say I think he can grow more, and in 2020 and 2021 I thought he was showing some change in the way he managed the team as a whole in the offense, but that reverted in 22 and 23. I think that was just Brian Gable standing up and saying he was going to do whatever he wanted to do with his offense.

I think the criticism is equally right, McDermott is never going to have another offensive coordinator like daboll come in who isn't going to tow whatever line McDermott draws in the sand. Rather that be the combination of run to pass, the amount of runs Josh Allen is taking, the willingness to put the ball in the air over the middle of the field in "risky" situations... Look at the route trees over the past 2 years versus the 2 years prior to that. Everything has gotten shorter and shorter, they've moved to tons of screen and dump passes which are high percentage low risk passes. I'm sorry but you don't have Josh Allen to throw 25 screen passes a game. You have that guy because he can whip that ball literally anywhere on the field at any given time. But we've become hyper conservative to try and be very very efficient and mitigate risk. I mean that's not necessarily a bad thing when you add other elements into it, something that we basically did not do effectively this year. Some of that's on Josh missing deep balls, some of that's on scheme being not great, and frankly some of it's on them not wanting to take more risks. 

Joe Brady coming in is the safe call for McDermott, he knows exactly what he's getting, and Joe Brady knows it's McDermott's show. It was predictable that this was the way it was going to go, and it's not necessarily a bad call, Brady was able to more effectively call the offense than Dorsey far and away. I'm just very curious if they're going to start changing away from some of these terrible screenpass concepts and open up downfield more the way they have in years past and leverage people like diggs and Kincaid and Shakir because these guys are not bubble screen running threats. They don't have the speed for it, they're short to intermediate depth kind of players that can really break a game by picking up chunk yardage.

I guess to me this year they looked like a team that didn't know what they wanted to be. They didn't build game plans to effectively utilize the talent they had on the field. The way Diggs fell off was proof of that, they way Harty never got going after being a reasonable contract considering our cap space, is more proof.  Sheffield never came around, Davis looked lost, it was just a "WTF am I watching" kind of year. Hopefully Brady can have more vision, hopefully there isn't meddling from the head coach on how things are going to be drawn up. 

McDermott is here, he's not leaving, And frankly even if they have missed the playoffs this year, he would still be our head coach. He's not even kind of on the hot seat, so like him or not we need to settle in.

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Not to mention, if Bills have a top-5 offense again next season yet fail to bring home either trophy, McD likely just promoted the guy who replaces him. 

Maybe... Hopefully Pegs will pull the chute if they fall short again, but you never know.  I worry that the tire fire that are the Sabres juxtaposed with the comparative success the bills have been will give mcdermott a lot more rope even if they're not winning titles.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Josh Allen

Dorsey: 9 Games

350 attempts - 2660 yards - 19 TDs - 11 INT - 7 rushing TD

Brady: 9 Games

298 attempts - 2095 yards - 14 TDs - 7 INT - 8 rushing TD

James Cook

Dorsey: 9 games 

120 carries - 615 yards - 5.1 YPC

153 carries - 647 yards - 4.2 YPC 

Not much you can take away, also doesn’t account for weather, team, and the challenges of it not being an offense designed by Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Josh Allen

Dorsey: 9 Games

350 attempts - 2660 yards - 19 TDs - 11 INT - 7 rushing TD

298 attempts - 2095 yards - 14 TDs - 7 INT - 8 rushing TD

James Cook

Dorsey: 9 games 

120 carries - 615 yards - 5.1 YPC

153 carries - 647 yards - 4.2 YPC 

Not much you can take away, also doesn’t account for weather, team, and the challenges of it not being an offense designed by Brady. 

We need to take these numbers with a grain of salt. There’s been rumors Allen had been injured for a time coinciding with Brady coming on board. Would account for the higher carries. 

• Like (+1) 1

What I like about this:
The Bills -- after not having scored at least 25 points for six straight weeks under Ken Dorsey -- went on to average 27 points over the final nine games and scored 30+points four times once Brady took over. The offensive players seemed to regain confidence, gain a feeling of ownership in the offense, and to visibly be having more fun.

As Joe Buscaglia of The Athletic pointed out, Brady was lauded across the board from staff and players alike as being a great communicator and great at bridging the gap between coaches and players. Multiple players, including Josh Allen, loudly voiced their support for Brady at the end of the season. Things were going well enough that -- as opposed to last year, when players seemed like they couldn't wait to get away -- at the season ending press conference, Josh (and others, I believe) mentioned that they couldn't wait to "get back in the lab" and weren't ready for the season to be over.

Further, Brady -- prior to his tenure in Carolina, during which he had Sam Darnold at QB and no CMC for a long stretch -- was a very hot commodity as an NFL OC after the job he did at LSU. I still believe he's a young, innovative, up-and-coming offensive thinker.

What I don't like about this:
The Bills did not seem to conduct a particularly thorough search for a new OC. Even if they presumed Brady would likely be the guy, I would have preferred that they took their team and interviewed a wide array of candidates. At the very least, they could have solicited ideas for improvement and personnel deployment from other great thinkers outside the building. This seems like a wasted opportunity.

What I'm excited for:
To see what Joe Brady's offense actually looks like. He'll have a full offseason to draw up plays, install his OWN version of the offense, and not have to remain beholden to Ken Dorsey's playbook. The unknown is always at least a little bit exciting, and right now, Joe Brady's offense -- now that this is completely his car to drive -- is unknown. I'm excited to see continued use of the Bills secondary offensive weapons -- Shakir, Kincaid, Knox, and Cook -- which already improved greatly as it is when Brady took over midseason.

To-Do list for Joe Brady:
- Figure out a way to get Diggs involved in the offense to the extent that he was under Dorsey. For all the things I can complain about regarding Ken Dorsey, one thing he WAS very good at was finding ways to keep Diggs involved throughout a game. Brady needs to improve in this area, "bracketed coverage taking Diggs away" or not. Good teams find ways to get their WR1 the ball regardless of how he's being covered.
- Continue to find ways to get Cook involved in the passing game.
- Deploy Kincaid as more of a downfield threat and seam stretcher.
- Find a way to meaningfully incorporate the Bills' incoming rookie or FA WR(s).
- Now that Kincaid is TE1, find ways to get/keep Dawson Knox involved in the offense, whether that means certain personnel package or specialized roles.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MR8 said:

The concerns with this are that he's defensive minded, conservative, and I agree that he wants th Bills to play a safe no-risk offense to mitigate risk and win close games.  That's just not Josh Allen though... Dudes a gunslinger, he'll make mistakes, but tons of WOWZAH plays too... He's modern day Brett Favre, and you need to ride out th bad with the good.  But I think McDermott wants a regulator on the motor, which hampers things. 

I just don't think the evidence on the field over the last several weeks of the regular season and the two games in the postseason match the notion that McDermott is "conservative" or wants the Bills to play a safe, no-risk offense.

Once upon a time, I may have agreed with that statement. But McDermott's coaching has evolved tremendously, and his aggressiveness along with it. Everything that goes with the idea of being an aggressive (rather than conservative) coach, McDermott has been doing from midseason on. He's constantly near the top of the "goes for it on 4th down when he should" charts. He's been going for it on 4th down on his own side of the field, even early in games, quite often. He has overseen an offense that for four straight years now is near the top of the league in passing frequency. He himself said in his season ending press conference that he believes you pass to win in this league. 

Yes, at times he's mentioned wanting to run the ball more effectively and to stop turning the ball over. I don't think either of those qualify as "conservative" thinking, though. I think 32 out of 32 NFL head coaches want their team to run the ball effectively and to take care of the football. And as I said, there's a time I would have agreed with the "McDermott is a conservative coach" idea, but that time has passed. All the evidence on the field in recent weeks simply does not back it up any longer. He's become pretty damned aggressive in his approach. And mind you, I'm no McDermott apologist. After the Broncos game, I wanted him fired. I'm STILL not convinced he's the right man for the job long term. But fair is fair, and to continue to call McDermott a conservative coach who wants to play it safe no longer feels fair or, for that matter, accurate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.