Divisional Playoffs - Chiefs at Bills - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

You can blame Bass but everybody knows that even if he made that kick the bills are either losing on the Chiefs last drive or losing in overtime. If they were going to win it would have had to have been by running the clock down and making the Chiefs use their timeouts

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

I gotta say it...call Belichick or Harbaugh tomorrow. 

Is this loss on McD? No. But you know what? Something big has to change. 

Yeah, we probably get our butt kicked in Baltimore next week. So what. This was an enormous game where too many people came up small.

BTW, Diggs time as a #1 receiver on this team needs to be questioned.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Just now, boyst said:

We would have won if we had Davis. 

Maybe. We also would have won it if two of our wide receivers that were out there would have made catches they were supposed to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Why the F did we play the game with hurt punter?   Seriously?  And was Bass hurt too?  He's been awful lately, if we played with both kickers hurt WTF.

And if Defense is our coaches specialty he needs to retire.  Pitiful.  Yes, injuries.  But we barely stopped the Chiefs once.  Barely.  This game was an embarrassment in every standpoint except offense.  We cannot waste Josh Allen who is special as they come. Fire Mcd.  As fast as possible.  He'll never get us a superbowl unless Beane somehow amasses the best roster that has ever existed.

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

I just don't undertand why Allen is trying to throw into the endzone with 2 minutes left. That doesn't win you the game. You take the short pass for a FD to Diggs and you work the Chiefs TOs and clock and try to score with about 45 seconds left to take a 4 point lead. 

McDermott should go. I've said it for 2 years. His defense isn't beating any elite QB in the postseason. 

Shakir was wide open.  You take the throw when it's there.  He got hit/effected by Jones or it was going to be a TD.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4

This one hurts…as bad as any….on a field goal.

I have been critical of Josh, but he was as lights out and perfect as I ever could have hoped for. A bunch of WR let him down with absolute dimes.

I kinda sorta hated the fake punt, but honestly I get it. The defense was all back ups and bumps/bruises were catching up. Martin struggled. 

BUT. What I hated was putting that play in the hands of Damar Hamlin. If you’re going for it you put Josh Allen on the field. Let him win or lose that down. 

Heart breaker amongst a long list of heart breakers. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If Bass makes the kick, you're giving Mahomes the balls with 1:45 seconds and pretending that you're going to stop him when you've done so once all game. We lost on 3rd down, not 4th.

Hit the nail on the head. All the threads will be filled with the usual FIRE EVERYONE! Rabal rabal rabal rabal nonsense but the fact is Josh played a great game but he should have thrown the ball to one of the two open underneath guys for the first down. It was a poor decision on his part to swing for the fences.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Absolute choke job on offense late. I cannot express enough how bad those play calls, and the decisions were on 2nd and 3rd down after the 2 minute warning... We want to run the freaking clock. Get one more 1st down minimum... THEN score. 9 yards... We needed 9 yards there and we had been playing that game all night. Two lousy 5 yard pass plays, maybe a Josh run, stay in bounds... Now they have to take their TO's. Get another 1st and they are in BIG trouble... But instead what do we do? 2 passes to the endzone and Bass sucks...The 1st down play was especially frustrating for me because I think that was the primary... Even if we hit it we're up by 4... Probably 3 because Bass sucks...And there's still almost 2 mins left...

That was terrible 2nd half coaching... Just awful. ...That stupid fake punt... This team is cursed with the inability to execute under pressure. No way should we have lost this game. But once again we beat ourselves.

And the fact that we don't have one freaking WR that can make a play on a ball down field when they have to adjust in the slightest is another problem. We go 0-3 on those long balls and most NFL teams get at least one, if not 2 or all three of those...

Well... There's always next year to choke in the Playoffs again...

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Before anyone asks: No, this wide right is not as painful as the first one. 

A little perspective from those of us who have been around that long: The sun will come out tomorrow and we’ll be back cheering for our team in September. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

-Martin shouldn't have played. Kicked bad. 
-Defense came up on some drives but just too banged up. 
-stuoid call on a fake with Hamlin

-Diggs. Enough with the "so close". 
-Bass. Wide right! Really?  I knew he was going to miss one tonight but that was the most Billsy way to lose tonight. 
- last drive Josh left open guys to get the kill shot. He took the shirt stuff all game long and then does that. just not smart at all. 
idk. It's too much. I Hate the. Chiefs. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

Another gut punch. Have to agree with the sentiment that Bass' miss didn't kill us because Mahomes would have had 1:45 or so left to march downfield for the winner with their money kicker.

On our final drive, he has Diggs open and does he ignore it because Diggs had let him down several times this game?

• Like (+1) 1

I just came here to say…. Beane better get some damn receivers that catch the *****in ball when it’s lands perfectly in both their *****in hands.  I am so *****in sick of seeing the opposition make perfect *****in receptions with perfect *****in coverage… and our receivers drop ***** that literally hits both of their *****in hands.  

And cut Bass.  Wtf. 

Edited by Dan
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Shakir was wide open.  You take the throw when it's there.  He got hit by Jones or it was going to be a TD.

Exactly. You go up by 4 with 1:55 left? That's not winning you this game. Did you watch Mahomes struggle at all this game?

• Agree 1

The Shakir throw is the one, for me. He threw it flat footed because of pressure and he didn’t have the arm for what he was thinking. If he A. Plants and fired, it’s a Josh Allen middle touchdown pass which is no-hum for him, or B. puts a little more under it, it’s still a touchdown - I don’t think a DB get to it, and Shakir catches everything. 

That’s the blunder for me. Time left, they say.. should’ve thrown it underneath to Diggs.. nah, you take the touchdown to go up 4 any easy you can get it. 

• Like (+1) 1

We desperately need receivers that can catch. Shakir and Kincaid are the only two I trust now. Cook was supposed to be a RB that could catch but, well, he’s a RB, I’ll give him that. Diggs has just disappeared.

Everything other than receivers and maybe a kicker is in place. This is a great team. Just imagine what Josh could do with someone like Tyreek. Please find the next Tyreek! Start going through police records immediately, find him and draft him! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Maybe. We also would have won it if two of our wide receivers that were out there would have made catches they were supposed to.

People wanna blame Josh for last 2 plays and not hitting Diggs on the crosser but Diggs did nothing to earn his trust this game. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pigpen65 said:

You can blame Bass but everybody knows that even if he made that kick the bills are either losing on the Chiefs last drive or losing in overtime. If they were going to win it would have had to have been by running the clock down and making the Chiefs use their timeouts

The biggest mistake at the end is allen not throwing to diggs on 2nd down and instead going for it all to Shakir in the end zone. But of course you can't expect allen to be perfect. 

Ultimately it's our defense special teams and receivers that cost us this game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Alpo Chino said:

Sherfield's two long drops. Diggs long drop. Bass kills our season with a bad miss. 

Bad way to end. Game was right there for us. 

What about Cooks TD drop in the 1st quarter

• Like (+1) 1

Sherfield dropped two perfectly thrown deep balls and Diggs dropped one. Over 100 yards of drops. Beane continues to refuse to address the receiver position with a top pick in the draft and we get *****. If we had Metcalf instead of Ford and has drafted Jefferson instead of giving that first round pick for Diggs, we have a super bowl by now. 

McDermott and Beane chose to throw a lot of resources into guys like Oliver, Miller, Rousseau etc while ignoring the receiver position. Zero pressure again for the most part tonight. We had key guys in the secondary and on the line healthy. No excuse for the Chiefs to light us up like that. Belichick has done more defensively this year with less. McDermott proves he is once again a Schottenheimer like clown.

And Bass missed numerous key kicks. Idiot coaching to trust him this week after the idiot kicked one into the stands last week. 

But hey we will draft another d lineman with our top pick and continue to ***** Allen over.

Allen is being treated like Rivers in San Diego. Beane and McDermott should be on the street tomorrow. Give Belichick a call. At least he can coach a defense where as McDermotts defenses has routinely blown leads. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Might not be a popular take but I am proud of how the team got up off the mat after we were 6-6 and it looked like we might not even make the playoffs.  Still sucks, and, I know, it's championship or bust, but, I can at least look back on that with some happiness.

I don’t disagree on how they responded but the harsh reality is they SHOULD HAVE NEVER been in that situation. Ever season under McDermott they lose games they have no business losing and they continue to not do the little things that hurts them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Diggs has lost the right to be a Diva.

It's time to trade his ass. I'm sure he'll be asking for it now anyway. He's no more reliable than Davis now and I'm sick of it. 

I mean Allen did everything he could. He was the best player on the field tonight and GOT 0 HELP.....

He's Superman, but even Superman can't throw the ball and go catch it too. Dime after dime.....even 60+ yards down the field and yet, our WRs couldn't make 1 play for him (outside of Shakir.....that guy is our slot going forward). He can't coach the team. He can't kick the FGs. He can't play defense. As brilliant as he is, he just can't play QB and the other 2 phases of the game too.

We need 2 more WRs....... As much as I love Diggs, he's made the transition to a #2 WR. We no longer have a #1. The draft should be nothing but weapons for Allen. He's carried this team on his back for years. He's hid so many flaws in personnel and coaching. There needs to be some serious changes. You are wasting, in my opinion, the best QB in the league at this point. I'm sorry, Josh. You deserve better.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

This one hurts…as bad as any….on a field goal.

I have been critical of Josh, but he was as lights out and perfect as I ever could have hoped for. A bunch of WR let him down with absolute dimes.

I kinda sorta hated the fake punt, but honestly I get it. The defense was all back ups and bumps/bruises were catching up. Martin struggled. 

BUT. What I hated was putting that play in the hands of Damar Hamlin. If you’re going for it you put Josh Allen on the field. Let him win or lose that down. 

Heart breaker amongst a long list of heart breakers. 

It didn't look like they executed the fake well. They were there for what felt like ages

• Like (+1) 1

Without Bernard and Benford it was going to be a rough game of coverage…

Dont know why Elam played absolutely nothing tonight. Should have had him on Kelce all the time he is on the field and let the rest do what they do. 

Biggest disappointment is actually the DLine. They did nothing to help the other 7 guys. 

Just can’t beat them. Maybe next year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Shakir was wide open.  You take the throw when it's there.  He got hit by Jones or it was going to be a TD.

Idk why we’re pretending this wasn’t the case lol. Every yard in that 4th quarter the bills had to absolutely fight for…wide open td you pull the trigger on 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I actually think the game turned when Spags made adjustments and the Bills didn’t for those two series. Before that they couldn’t stop Buffalo but they started run blitzing and coming down hard and we needed to be going PA. Those 3 series cost is. We only scored 7 points in the 2nd half

• Like (+1) 4

I have no criticism for our players or coaches. There were no stupid plays, bad calls or mental meltdowns. Our defense was decimated by injury. We were up against the defending world champs who weren't going to roll over. 

The field goal kick to tie got blown away by the lake effect 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Exactly. You go up by 4 with 1:55 left? That's not winning you this game. Did you watch Mahomes struggle at all this game?

So you pass up a for sure TD to "hope" you get one at some point later?  Sorry, you take the points when they are available.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Chugga said:

There were a million reasons why we lost this game.  And Josh willed this team to get as close to victory as we did.  Diggs drop, Sherfield drop, bad 1st down playcalling, defensive struggles, missed kick, etc.

But nothing will sit with me more from this game than the throw to Shakir in the end zone with a wide open Diggs streaking underneath.  Even if we hit that pass and take the lead, you give the chiefs 1:40 and two TOs against a defense that hasn’t really stopped them.  The Diggs pass runs the clock, shortens the kick if needed, but most importantly moves the chains.

Totally heartbroken…

Allen got greedy at the exact wrong time but the play was there to be made - Jones just got the best of his man and affected the throw.

Special teams under McD have been a complete clown show.  Keeping Martin this week was ludicrous and I suspect it was done in large part to try not to disrupt Bass’s fragile psyche by switching out his holder.  Bass needs to go take Ayahuasca with Rodgers this offseason, his brain is scrambled up and he’s useless.  Which I just have no sympathy for given what I’ve been through as a fan of this team.

Speaking of which - Diggs had zero interest in this game.  Bookended his garbage performance by fumbling on the very first play and then casually dropping a perfectly-thrown bomb on the penultimate drive.  Not sure what happened to him mentally but he seemed to have completely checked out and I suspect we will soon be subjected to his passive-aggressive tweets and such as he starts angling for his next adventure.

Finally - this game was proof positive that investing more heavily on defense is a fool’s errand.  Beane gave his star QB zero playmakers this offseason.  Wasting the career of JA17 is a war crime and Beane should be on a short leash heading into 2024.

Brutal way to end the season but they gave themselves no margin for error, all year and again today.  They had to be perfect for too many games in a row and today they came up short.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Before anyone asks: No, this wide right is not as painful as the first one. 

A little perspective from those of us who have been around that long: The sun will come out tomorrow and we’ll be back cheering for our team in September. 

Go Bills!!!

Cheering for them? Yes. Having the slightest expectation they will do anything special? Nope.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.