"Late" hit on Allen's slide.

wagon127

The 4th quarter unnecessary roughness penalty on the Steeelers.

Look, im glad the bills won, and any penalty the Bills get in their favor, I feel is great, after 17 years of us seeing other teams benefit from bad calls. But the NFL needs to really evaluate whats considered a late hit on a QB slide. I really dont think he was hit late on that. I think as Allen starts to slide, the defender has pretty much already left his feet. Allen is still sliding as he gets hit, showing how "not late" it was. 

What do you guys think? Not just thinking about it from the Bills point of view, but football in general. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Disagree 20
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 5

Just now, wagon127 said:

Look, im glad the bills won, and any penalty the Bills get in their favor, I feel is great, after 17 years of us seeing other teams benefit from bad calls. But the NFL needs to really evaluate whats considered a late hit on a QB slide. I really dont think he was hit late on that. I think as Allen starts to slide, the defender has pretty much already left his feet. Allen is still sliding as he gets hit, showing how "not late" it was. 

What do you guys think? Not just thinking about it from the Bills point of view, but football in general. 

I think that the NFL has decided that they're going to protect quarterbacks at all costs, and it results in all sorts of ticky-tack, namby pamby, horsecrap calls that are offensive to the viewer. I think that star quarterbacks ESPECIALLY benefit from this treatment.

I agree with what you say, but as long as you always keep in mind what I just said, you'll have an easier time understanding/accepting the ridiculous calls that get made on a weekly basis.

• Like (+1) 8

Josh made it look worse than it was. At some point the refs will know that he flops like LeBron and to be on the lookout for that so then those calls won't go our way. I think he could have saved it on that play

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 2

Looked blatantly late to me. Defender hadn't left his feet. "pretty much" is not has. He could've jumped over or at least tried to avoid contact and he didn't try at all. If he even attempted to avoid at all he would likely of not gotten the penalty.  

Edited by dje85
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’d agree with the overall point but that was a pretty clear slide that the Steelers committed on late so idk if that play was the best example.  If the defender recognizes the slide and tries to pull up a little bit but still hits the guy im all for not calling it.  The big problem is if you end up hitting a sliding qb you’re usually drilling him in the head 

Look, I want to separate a few things here:

• One is my opinion on QB slides. I think they are overly enforced and tilt the favor further to the offense that doesn't need any more tilting.
  • Two is "is that penalty accurate as called?" In my mind, yes. Allen began his slide, was fully on the ground and stopped. At that moment the play is dead. I know Allen sometimes sells the call a bit, but in Rules as Written, it's the correct call. 
    • You can think it's a "soft call", or lament the loss of smashmouth football and I'll be there with you. But those are the kind of calls that we would get against us all the time, so it's not like it's something new.
  • Finally: if you think Allen did a "fake slide" on his TD run I need the contact information of your dealer stat, but request that you not watch Bills games while you are high out of your  mind.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Agreed. There should be some “good faith defense” in that situation. The refs should huddle And use their common sense as to whether there was an intent to let up, and how severe the hit is. 

15 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Late hit....

10 minutes ago, dje85 said:

Looked blatantly late to me. Defender hadn't left his feet.

This.  Before Jack left his feet Josh was into his slide.  It was a pretty easy call.

And yes, Josh does "flop" for unnecessary roughness penalties; I cringe when he does it but he also probably doesn't get calls other QBs do because he is such a freaking beast.

16 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think that the NFL has decided that they're going to protect quarterbacks at all costs, and it results in all sorts of ticky-tack, namby pamby, horsecrap calls that are offensive to the viewer. I think that star quarterbacks ESPECIALLY benefit from this treatment.

I agree with what you say, but as long as you always keep in mind what I just said, you'll have an easier time understanding/accepting the ridiculous calls that get made on a weekly basis.

I mean Rudolph also got a roughing the passer call that was “weaker” than this one on josh. 

• Agree 1

You see that called all the time. The rule is the rule. Maybe you don't like the rule.

If the defender had already committed to the hit, why was his hit aimed so low to where Allen was sliding? Wouldn't his hit have been higher? He obviously altered his trajectory to hit the sliding QB. Otherwise, he would have slid over the top of him with little contact.

The rule was correctly enforced. It is a tough rule for defenders because it puts them into conflict and makes them think. It has always been that way. The QB will always have the advantage with this rule.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

All I want is consistency from the refs.

I agree it's a ticky-tack call.  

But they are going to call that 95-99% of the time.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

You see that called all the time. The rule is the rule. Maybe you don't like the rule.

If the defender had already committed to the hit, why was his hit aimed so low to where Allen was sliding? Wouldn't his hit have been higher? He obviously altered his trajectory to hit the sliding QB. Otherwise, he would have slid over the top of him with little contact.

The rule was correctly enforced. It is a tough rule for defenders because it puts them into conflict and makes then think. It has always been that way. The QB will always have the advantage with this rule.

Agreed.

I'm perfectly OK with them changing the rule in the offseason.  But until they do, it needs to be called.

That dude Jack had an awful game. 

He made a mistake going in like that. Just cause you put your hands up while youre on top of the QB doesnt mean youll get away with the call. 

Look....is it a soft call? Hell yeah it is...

but you know what the NFL doesnt want? For Jack to have the mentality to get one in on Josh and then concuss him and have him out of the game/s.

Imagine if Josh's head bounced wrong and he ended up missing the game. NFL cant deal with it losing star players for nothing.

19 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Josh made it look worse than it was. At some point the refs will know that he flops like LeBron and to be on the lookout for that so then those calls won't go our way. I think he could have saved it on that play

I really wish he'd cut that out. It's not only incredibly lame, it's completely beneath him given how tough a player he is.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Look, I want to separate a few things here:

• One is my opinion on QB slides. I think they are overly enforced and tilt the favor further to the offense that doesn't need any more tilting.
  • Two is "is that penalty accurate as called?" In my mind, yes. Allen began his slide, was fully on the ground and stopped. At that moment the play is dead. I know Allen sometimes sells the call a bit, but in Rules as Written, it's the correct call. 
    • You can think it's a "soft call", or lament the loss of smashmouth football and I'll be there with you. But those are the kind of calls that we would get against us all the time, so it's not like it's something new.
  • Finally: if you think Allen did a "fake slide" on his TD run I need the contact information of your dealer stat, but request that you not watch Bills games while you are high out of your  mind.

Im following along with the discussion on twitter and such, and why the "fake slide" is getting more attention to the play im talking about is weird to me. 

I agree, the penalty is called accurately as the rule is written. I just hope they tweek it a little in the coming seasons.

24 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Did you see the other slide thread and think "That thread doesnt suck enough. I can do better."?

• Haha (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

What about the RtP on Ed Oliver where Mason Rudolph didn't even fall down?

It was head to head, that’s gonna get called every time, 

28 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

He was late.  Josh had slid way before Jack dove at him.  Josh just happened to embellish the hit to make it look worse.  

Was a tremendous job of embellishment too. Really passed the eye test at full speed, but you can see the acting job in slow motion. In my opinion it's a skill, similar to players in the NBA who have greatly enhanced their career by manipulating optics to draw fouls (Harden, Embiid etc)

In this case it was a penalty by rule regardless, but it always helps to sell it. Wide receivers should also act like they will never be able to read or write again every time they take a shot while going for a catch. It puts the pressure on the refs to throw the flag or else it appears they aren't protecting the player

Edited by Fetou
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

What I found hilarious was Myles Jack tackling Diggs on Shakir's TD. As for the late hit on Josh, you had to know they were gonna call that when you saw it

Lol glad someone else noticed that. Hey it's the thought that counts 

44 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Don't whine about bad calls so don't have to feel bad about fortunate ones is how I like to live

The people who whine about officiating think that makes them fun at parties though.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Haha (+1) 2

When Rapp did this to Dak people on here were in an uproar at how bad and dirty the play was. Can’t have it both ways, he was well into his slide , defender could have pulled up. No problem with that call, that’s how it’s always called.

34 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Nantz and Romo were immediately call it a late hit, and Romo said Jack could have avoided it as he didn't leave his feet until Josh started sliding. Good enough for me.

We all hate the late hit on qb slides. But they consistently call it on every team. It goes against us at times as well. At this point D players need to understand it. Soft call but they have been calling it no matter who is qb and if they embellish or not.

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It was a bad call because it looked like hit Allen on the head when in fact he never did.

The game is too fast for the on field officials. Every play should be reviewed by an independent ref with video. 

except it doesn’t matter where you hit a sliding qb. They will call any contact especially from the waste up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.