Do we have a kicker problem?

Einstein

28 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Bass is now 78% for the year (5th worst in NFL) and we haven’t let him attempt a field goal over 50 yards in 3 months. 

He also just missed a 20-some yard field goal.

Can we trust him to make a game winning Playoff/Super Bowl kick at this point?

He also made a 40 some yarder

I feel Bass has been erratic all season. In game one (Jets) his game tying FG was a lucky doink and it's been downhill since then. I don't know how he was AFC special teams of the month in September. 

Trying to find a positive slant: a month ago I felt similarly but worse about Martin but he suddenly became an effective punter. Hoping against hope that Bass can turn it around.

A bigger issue IMO is that the CBs and LBs the Bills played for most of the game are from way down the depth chart. And Mahome's is coming to town in five days.

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Bass is now 78% for the year (5th worst in NFL) and we haven’t let him attempt a field goal over 50 yards in 3 months. 

No, and I've been saying it all season.

Bass has been an average at best kicker even before this year by fg percentage. This season he has been dreadful. I have ZERO confidence in him at this point.

The whole Bass o matic thing was stupid from the get go. 

Edited by buffblue

39 minutes ago, Fetou said:

Can't imagine there's a whole lot out there? Genuinely have no idea but you can always do worse

Definitely don't think he is here next year though 

His cap hit may be too much.  I think he needs to get his confidence back

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Yes to the thread title. No to the OP question. 

IDK… Romo was saying the side of the field where Bass kicked in the 2nd Q was windy and the kickers were struggling to connect from 40+.  The block was likely his attempt to over correct and drive the ball lower so it didn’t get caught in the wind.   I don’t put that entirely on him.  It probably wasn’t an attempt he should’ve tried.  

But the missed chip shot defies logic.  He was not ever close.  When this happens you tend to worry about the mindset of kickers.

I’ll say this though - when we’ve needed him, he’s been money

Edited by JohnNord

7 minutes ago, letsgoteam said:

that actually is a good point, that would explain alot.

I doubt this.  This is the answer from Bills fans as to why any player struggles - Josh, Diggs, Bass etc. 

If they aren’t on the injury report, they probably don’t have a significant injury 

Just now, JohnNord said:

I doubt this.  This is the answer from Bills fans as to why any player struggles - Josh, Diggs, Bass etc. 

If they aren’t on the injury report, they probably don’t have a significant injury 

you also have a good point

We have a ST coordinator problem for sure.  Again.

Bass has this weird hook thing, left to right instead of the normal right to left slice.  Like my one buddy’s tee shot.  You think it’s going left and then it drifts back just in time.  But it’s gotten weirder this year and he’s missing some.  Seems to need to rebuild his whole approach but I don’t trust Smiley to get that corrected.

• Like (+1) 1

I lean towards the idea that he must be carrying an injury. It could be the yips, but it doesn't feel right to me. Though as someone who isn't a kicker of any kind, I could be completely wrong. Just looks like he's having to deal with something physical.

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

Yes.  We should audition people this week. 

If it were regular season, I'd agree, trying out kickers sometimes creates more yips. 

IDK, kickers are weird.

If they beat KC, Bass could easily go 100% in FGs  the rest of the playoffs... again kickers are weird

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Yes.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes.  Not sure how mcdermott has any confidence in him

1 hour ago, Simstim said:

Yes

1 hour ago, JBI$111 said:

Yes

What they said! 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

He's 85% for his career which ranks him #25 lifetime out of a list of 178. So I think with those stats, he deserves a long leash. 

During the regular season he missed 2 that were 50+ and 3 40 to 49 yards.

While the field looked real good on TV who knows how slick or frozen it might have been.  Recall yesterday on one of the shows they were talking about, regardless how well they cleared the snow off the field, it was going to be frozen solid.

Prior to this year, everyone was raving about him.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He's 85% for his career which ranks him #25 lifetime out of a list of 178. So I think with those stats, he deserves a long leash. 

During the regular season he missed 2 that were 50+ and 3 40 to 49 yards.

While the field looked real good on TV who knows how slick or frozen it might have been.  Recall yesterday on one of the shows they were talking about, regardless how well they cleared the snow off the field, it was going to be frozen solid.

Prior to this year, everyone was raving about him.

Agree.  What I will say, and I have been saying this for the last couple of seasons is that Beane and McDermott need to bring in camp competition

in both kicker and punter positions for multiple reasons.  I would like to see a new ST coordinator (or at least a new assistant with upside) too.

It's not wise to have these 2 guys kicking throughout the entire year with no one able to come in if needed.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree.  What I will say, and I have been saying this for the last couple of seasons is that Beane and McDermott need to bring in camp competition

in both kicker and punter positions for multiple reasons.  I would like to see a new ST coordinator (or at least a new assistant with upside) too.

It's not wise to have these 2 guys kicking throughout the entire year with no one able to come in if needed.

Definitely agree on punter competition or just sign or draft someone who has better stats.

Kicking think it's hard to bring in competition for a guy who is 85% lifetime and is still pretty young so it's not like his leg has worn out.

Looking at the lifetime list there's not many kickers above him that either haven't long retired or active on another team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Definitely agree on punter competition or just sign or draft someone who has better stats.

Kicking think it's hard to bring in competition for a guy who is 85% lifetime and is still pretty young so it's not like his leg has worn out.

Looking at the lifetime list there's not many kickers above him that either haven't long retired or active on another team.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/fg_perc_career.htm

Competition is needed to keep the mind right.  It's the mind that gets kickers off their game IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Looks unsteady

He was terrible today. Almost missed an xp. Had the 49 yarder blocked because of low trajectory.  And that 27 yarder was embarrassing. Don't blame the field. Steelers kicker was perfect. Bass's days are numbered.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Competition is needed to keep the mind right.  It's the mind that gets kickers off their game IMO.

Well right now Bass's mind is on fishing 

• Agree 1

hes definitely lacking something right now...its a nailbiter any time he is out there currently...good kickers in the playoffs r mandatory...

2 not even have attempted a 50plus in 3months makes me envious of elliott n how easily he kicked that 60plus kick...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.