Injuries vs Steelers - Update from McDermott

DJB

6 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Anyway the coaches can bench Von and put Phillips in his place? 

The injuries of course are concern #1, but concern #2 would be there no pass rush on Rudolph all night, so you might as well just put big bodies out there so they can get their hands up. 

Von has flashed once or twice late in the past few games. He’s just nowhere around when we need him earlier. KC has very weak tackles, so hopefully Von, AJE, Groot, and Floyd can FEAST. DTs have to stop Patty from stepping up and running up the middle. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Brand J said:

Von has flashed once or twice late in the past few games. He’s just nowhere around when we need him earlier. KC has very weak tackles, so hopefully Von, AJE, Groot, and Floyd can FEAST. DTs have to stop Patty from stepping up and running up the middle. 

Yeah I’m still serious. 

Phillips is eligible to come back off IR this week.

Poona sat tonight, but Von should be sat, Phillips activated, cut Alec Anderson if you have to, and rush Phillips in the game. 

The coaches won’t do it, but Von is horrible out there. Now he’s trying the inside spin and he just gets swallowed by the OG and OT.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

If Dodson is a torn labrum as rumored even if he comes back he's likely going to be a shell of himself - and if he takes direct hits on the shoulder it could pop out and/or debilitate him pretty quickly

If it's that bad, it seems like they would be better off sending him to IR for a spot. There's only so much time to recover even if we win the next game.

3 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

If it's that bad, it seems like they would be better off sending him to IR for a spot. There's only so much time to recover even if we win the next game.

If it is that injury, it's not something he'll recover from before the end of the season, but rather just try to manage - and get surgery after the season

9 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah I’m still serious. 

Poona sat tonight, but Von should be sat, Phillips activated, cut Alec Anderson if you have to, and rush Phillips in the game. 

The coaches won’t do it, but Von is horrible out there. Now he’s trying the inside spin and he just gets swallowed by the OG and OT.

Think Kingsley brings more than von at this point 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Haha...I had that when I had a kidney stone once. I don't do illicit drugs but I can see why people do...I was on cloud nine after that. All pain vanished 

Noooo joke, I had it after broken ribs and I immediately understood how people could get addicted to painkillers. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

If Dodson is a torn labrum as rumored even if he comes back he's likely going to be a shell of himself - and if he takes direct hits on the shoulder it could pop out and/or debilitate him pretty quickly

That injury has so much variance. I (still) have a torn labrum with the bursa herniated out of the tear in my dominant arm. I competed through it for racket sports when I had to....and at other points couldn't lift my arm above my shoulder.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The injuries of course are concern #1, but concern #2 would be there no pass rush on Rudolph all night, so you might as well just put big bodies out there so they can get their hands up. 

The Steelers have a very good OL

1 hour ago, Punch said:

Am I only the one bothered by this? I hope he is all good to go next week and I hope this is just classic player talk.  I know with weather and matchup wise, he wasn’t the biggest need. However, it’s playoffs. There’s no tomorrow if lose. If your best can go, you play them.  I hope I’m overreacting here lol 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He was writhing in pain on the field, couldn't stand on it, and was carted off the field with an air brace applied bc they thought it was broken. I assume it's a High. But whatever kind of sprain it is, that's not something that you just "tape up" and play on 6 days later.

Hopefully we're in the AFC Championship and the Super Bowl. Maybe he has a chance for at least one of those games.

But next week we have to hope Dodson is back and that a full week of practice with the expectation of a heavy workload for Klein and Williams makes them play even better.

I remember Trevor Lawrence writhing in pain and being carried to the locker room essentially. Everyone thought he was done for the season, but I think he just missed one game with a high ankle sprain.

How effective he was the rest of the season is up to debate...

Just now, BillsFooteball said:

Am I only the one bothered by this? I hope he is all good to go next week and I hope this is just classic player talk.  I know with weather and matchup wise, he wasn’t the biggest need. However, it’s playoffs. There’s no tomorrow if lose. If your best can go, you play them.  I hope I’m overreacting here lol 

He's been speaking much more optimistically than reality, sort of like Von. Last week people were mentioning his post game interview but you only had to watch him on the sideline to see how hobbled he was when he had to move. No way he could have played this week and I'll be thrilled if he can go next week

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Process said:

Healthiest team in the NFL going into Week 18. Only missing Milano. Two weeks later and we fielding a practice squad defense. Unreal. 

this is the cost of losing to the Jets, Patriots, and Broncos.  if we take care of business, maybe we could've rested guys Week 18.  additionally, if we don't choke away the game at Philadelphia, maybe we're not even playing in the wild card round.  there's usually a price to pay for not taking care of business.

but we're here now and we're at home.  hopefully we can man up and next-man-up our way to a W.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DapperCam said:

I remember Trevor Lawrence writhing in pain and being carried to the locker room essentially. Everyone thought he was done for the season, but I think he just missed one game with a high ankle sprain.

How effective he was the rest of the season is up to debate...

Well and that's just it. Maybe after the Chiefs game, if we win - he might be able to play. Though if he pushes through it after a week, he's going to be less than 100%

Regardless, we're talking about him playing 6 days from now. No way.

5 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

He's been speaking much more optimistically than reality, sort of like Von. Last week people were mentioning his post game interview but you only had to watch him on the sideline to see how hobbled he was when he had to move. No way he could have played this week and I'll be thrilled if he can go next week

With pain killers, a lot of things are possible.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This has to be the best job McD has ever done as a coach.  The GM lets “star” linebacker walk in Edmunds. You lose two all-pros for the season (Milano and White).  You lose DT Jones for much of the season.  You then turn to kids Benford, Benard, and Dodson, who all step up.  Beane adds Douglas at the deadline who plays like an all-pro and the team charges into the playoffs.

However in the last two games, you have lost 4 players in the secondary and 3 Linebackers, including 5 key starters (CB T. Johnson, CB Douglas, S Rapp, CB Benford, LB Benard, LB Dodson, and LB Spector).  

Next Sunday is a major step up in competition.  What are McD/Beane going to do?  We have no practice squad linebackers left. Klein and Williams did an amazing job at LB considering the situation, but are they up for stopping Pacheco and Kelse?  How does the secondary handle Rice?  Douglas said he could have played this week if necessary and that is great news for next week, but what about who plays the opposite side? Elam? Who steps into the Taron Johnson role if he can’t go?  

Can the offense run the ball well enough to keep Mahomes on the sidelines? 

Beane and McDermott have their hands full on this short week.  Hopefully there will be good news on the injury front.

I did search the practice squad for possible LB signings.  Joe Giles-Harris (NE) is the only one I could find with Bills experience.  There are two very experienced LB’s out there Dameon Wilson (Dal) has 73 career starts and was a 2 year starter for Reid in KC.  Also Jaylon Smith (Pit) has 69 career starts including 11 last year for the Giants.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

The offense is going to have to have it's best game of the year. The defense can't be expected to hold the Chiefs to 17 points again with how decimated they are. I'm ready for hero ball Josh. 

I'm confident we get Douglas , Dodson and Rapp back , no clue on Bernard, Benford, Spector,  Taron. KC is definitely a step up but they're nothing like they were in prior years, our run D with DQ back has been very good

I'm oddly confident 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This team was always going to go as the offense carried them. They’ll have to put it together and have their best showing for 3 consecutive weeks. I feel like they’re due for those sort of performances because they haven’t played super well all year. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I trust AJ Klein instincts a lot more than the other guys. 

Hopefully all our DBs are OK. Definitely can’t survive without all our starting LBs and starting CBs. 

Bernard was quickly becoming my favorite Bills player. He does so much. I don’t know if the defense can still be a top defense without him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

It's a massive, massive ask. Especially with the three teams we'll need to beat to win the thing.

But writing off this team is for losers. 

(Makes you realise, though, that you really need the first seed if you plan on winning this thing)

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Bill Grundy said:

It's a massive, massive ask. Especially with the three teams we'll need to beat to win the thing.

But writing off this team is for losers. 

(Makes you realise, though, that you really need the first seed if you plan on winning this thing)

unless you’re KC. They are of course fully healthy at the right time (again). No injuries vs Miami. Just a minor scare to Rice. 

Just have the backups play as well as the starters and we'll be fine.  Offense needs to limit the penalties better than the first time they played.  No back breaking turnovers either.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, QB Bills said:

The offense is going to have to have it's best game of the year. The defense can't be expected to hold the Chiefs to 17 points again with how decimated they are. I'm ready for hero ball Josh. 

Can't argue 

Any news on Bernard yet? I'm guessing he's done? Legs don't just seem to visibly snap like that and heal overnight. His towel over the head when leaving the field suggested to me he was in tears, knowing his season was done. 

I presume our pitch is like concrete in weather like this? 

8 hours ago, Iiiiiiiiive Got a Feeeelin said:

weed and hallucinogens, and beer of course

Mr. Zappa was against all drugs.   The reason he kicked Lowell George out of the Mothers, marijuana.   

On topic, it is a bad injury report.   Next man Up!

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Yeah I’m still serious. 

Anderson is a future starting player for us who will never make it through waivers.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Miami's defense was more depleted than ours and they were able to keep Miami in the game against KC. That gives me some reason for optimism going into this game... beyond that, though? Who knows. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I honestly think that may have been part of the gameplan, to try and disrupt his throwing lanes. You saw the spotlight and heard Romo in the beginning talking about how Rudolph loves to throw those slants and crossing routes. A lot of times our guys just held up the blockers and looked to get a hand in the throwing lanes. There was pressure at times, mainly from Oliver or someone else in the middle. It made Rudolph have to double clutch and try to reset because someone was getting pushed into him. 

• Like (+1) 2

Taron has to clear protocol and its a short week....he is key vs the chiefs for me.

I think Dodson and Douglass come back.  Would be nice if Spector is ok becuase of the lack of numbers there.   We don't want Matekavich playing I don't think.  Benford hurt his knee, that seems like an unkown.  Bernard spraied ankle but it must be kind of severe and I don't expect him to play.  But we have to let the week play out and see what it is.

• Like (+1) 4

13 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

The good news is that Douglas and Dodson are back next week. Bernard and Benford seem like the most serious ones but obviously we’re not going to hear anything or prognosis 

What happened to Benford. Saw a knee but didn't see the play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.