DaQuan Jones is BACK - will play vs the Patriots

BillsFan619

17 minutes ago, Special K said:

I agree with you, but lets just enjoy the good news!!

no-fun-youre-no-fun.gif

I am happy for the guy; he clearly loves to play and I'm really glad to that he gets to because he's earned it.

I just think that in a few weeks after a couple JAG quality games, there is going to be spoiled-rotten little brats running around here tossing around 3rd grade nicknames crying about how he's stealing money from the Bills after he's been busting his ass doing intense rehab for months.

6 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Blown out? My hypertension just whispered “you’ll need to rely on Bass from 53 in OT.” 

That might be the first time I'd literally have to turn my head or leave the room for a play that I couldn't bear to watch.

If he makes it, I might not even be able to watch a replay until the next day when I could eventually start to believe that a procedural flag wasn't going to come flying into the locker room during the post-game celebration.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

If we can somehow find a way to avoid any additional injuries, we could potentially go into the playoffs fully healthy other than Milano. (not counting White considering we upgraded)

Things are aligning. Just need the Ravens to win!

What do you mean not counting White we upgraded, Rasul  Douglas?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Simon said:

I am happy for the guy; he clearly loves to play and I'm really glad to that he gets to because he's earned it.

I just think that in a few weeks after a couple JAG quality games, there is going to be spoiled-rotten little brats running around here tossing around 3rd grade nicknames crying about how he's stealing money from the Bills after he's been busting his ass doing intense rehab for months.

That might be the first time I'd literally have to turn my head or leave the room for a play that I couldn't bear to watch.

If he makes it, I might not even be able to watch a replay until the next day when I could eventually start to believe that a procedural flag wasn't going to come flying into the locker room during the post-game celebration.

One time in my entire Bills fandom I have had to do this - the Hail Mary by Rivers in the Colts WC game that broke our playoff victory drought. After the refs ripped Buffalo off by not ruling Tre White's strip a fumble, I could only listen from another room. We sucked at defending those passes in 2020

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Love the guy and love his game.

But this is not some panacea to cure all ills.

He's going to be less powerful and it's likely that it will be harder for him to hold the POA, to push the pocket, to hold guys off and move down the line and he's going to be available less as well.

The only reason he's playing is because he's probably just hitting the point where he can now be equally effective as Poona Ford and that is where the expectations should lie, imo.

That should slowly improve as the weeks pass but for right now, I can't expect too much out of him.

I just hope people don't turn on him like they have with other injured players that didn't meet fan's ill-informed unrealistic expectations.

I’d compare Jones more to Linvall Joseph, the only other 1TDT on the roster and is exclusively a space eater at this point in his career.  Even coming off an injury I think it’s feasible that Jones can match Joseph’s current play (as well as the others in that spot) on the interior and even provide a better pass rush as well.  

The reason why Joseph was signed in the first place was because the depth of Phillips, Settle and Ford are best played at 3TDT.  They can play 1 tech but are average at best and quite often below that.  If he could play at 60% it would be an upgrade.  

I’d agree that he’s probably not going to get many reps on Sunday.  I also get why fans would want to temper expectations after seeing Von Miller struggle to recover but it’s important to not that this isn’t an ACL recovery and he isn’t 35.  

Also it’s important to remember to make space for him on the roster, the Bills released veteran Germain Ifedi who’s been rostered all season and was their later season insurance policy at RT.  The team doesn’t do this - or they at least wait a week, if he wasn’t in a good spot.

Either way, if the Bills can get into the playoffs, Jones is going to help this team.  This is good news

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Simon said:

You know we're going to get there just to get blown out, right? :lol:

I want to win it just to put it in the face of all the people who say if we can just win one SB before they die they will be satisfied for life. Somehow I think the whining will not cease as promised.   😋

Some people will be complaining if we win the SB but don’t cover the spread or be upset that Josh didn’t throw for 300 yards. “BUT……” they will say. 

😂 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, mrags said:

Pretty sure that’s exactly what he means. And he’s not wrong 

Interesting, I certainly can see the argument but have yet to say he is an upgrade but he has been a pleasant surprise.   I have to think we have seen by far the best out of Tre White, sad to say.

Imagine if you were a Packer fan and seeing them trade away Rasul Douglas and this AFTER the Jaire Alexander fiasco.   Thank you Packers for a few quality years with Micah Hyde and now for Rasul Douglas.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

DQ comes of the bench and single-handedly blows up a play in the backfield on his first series. Calling it now.

If the guy is able to get back up to speed again he's going to be fired up, you could hear it in his interview about having a great year cut short from the injury, he's had to have been wanting to tear things up out there.

36 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I’d compare Jones more to Linvall Joseph, the only other 1TDT on the roster and is exclusively a space eater at this point in his career.  Even coming off an injury I think it’s feasible that Jones can match Joseph’s current play (as well as the others in that spot) on the interior and even provide a better pass rush as well.  

The reason why Joseph was signed in the first place was because the depth of Phillips, Settle and Ford are best played at 3TDT.  They can play 1 tech but are average at best and quite often below that.  If he could play at 60% it would be an upgrade.  

I’d agree that he’s probably not going to get many reps on Sunday.  I also get why fans would want to temper expectations after seeing Von Miller struggle to recover but it’s important to not that this isn’t an ACL recovery and he isn’t 35.  

Also it’s important to remember to make space for him on the roster, the Bills released veteran Germain Ifedi who’s been rostered all season and was their later season insurance policy at RT.  The team doesn’t do this - or they at least wait a week, if he wasn’t in a good spot.

Either way, if the Bills can get into the playoffs, Jones is going to help this team.  This is good news

I mean even referencing Von is like saying you are worried about the weather against New England because the team played poorly when getting cooked in Miami last year. 

sure, it’s still weather, like it’s still an injury…. But it’s pretty substantially unrelated

18 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Interesting, I certainly can see the argument but have yet to say he is an upgrade but he has been a pleasant surprise.   I have to think we have seen by far the best out of Tre White, sad to say.

Imagine if you were a Packer fan and seeing them trade away Rasul Douglas and this AFTER the Jaire Alexander fiasco.   Thank you Packers for a few quality years with Micah Hyde and now for Rasul Douglas.

maybe not an upgrade from peak tre- but I think what we have seen of post injury from tre puts rasul as an equal or better player. Put another way: our defense isn’t worse playing rasul this weekend. 

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

So you are a victim of recency bias.  Von Miller is totally irrelevant indicator of how D Jones might play.  This is beyond ridiculous comment.  

Different injury, different recovery time and Jones has come back from other upper body injuries and performed at a high level after doing the appropriate rehab.

I don't expect he will need the same time to find his structural confidence curve as players coming off knee injuries.

I expect the biggest curve is just regaining the game stamina and getting back to the rep count he usually can command, but with Joseph and Poona helping out with reps they should be able to keep him fresh.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I had to do this myself for the first time this year. It was the final 4th down play by the Chiefs at the end of the game. Couldn't bear to watch, I buried my head and listened to it, waiting for the words, "no flags!"

It was enough to make my head nearly explode.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I want to win it just to put it in the face of all the people who say if we can just win one SB before they die they will be satisfied for life. Somehow I think the whining will not cease as promised.   😋

Some people will be complaining if we win the SB but don’t cover the spread or be upset that Josh didn’t throw for 300 yards. “BUT……” they will say. 

😂

100%. It then becomes they only won ONE Super Bowl.  New England won 6, KC won 2, etc

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

Been a huge DQ fan since Beane made the move.

Was desperate to see the Bills do something to plug the middle and get some push on the pocket and Star was not the same player at all that he was in Carolina and did little to reward the trust they extended him in his contract.

DQ more than delivered. They need to monitor his reps, but he is a solid vet that will get it done. Just needs to work on the game stamina and work into owning more reps.

Poona did a pretty decent job manning Phillips gaps last week and good to see him get his chance to help the squad.

This defense operates best when you have those solid 1-tech and 3-techs that can rotate and spell each other and feed off of Oliver.

After seeing Star Lotulelei in action, it quickly became clear he is tied forBrandon Beane’s biggest FA bust along with Trent Murphy - also signed in 2018.  Star’s calling card was that he was a space eater that could occasionally flash as a pass rusher but he didn’t do that in Buffalo.    But you know who did?  Daquan Jones!

Jones is the player that Beane thought he was signing in Star.

• Agree 2

Just now, JohnNord said:

After seeing Star Lotulelei in action, it quickly became clear he is tied forBrandon Beane’s biggest FA bust along with Trent Murphy - also signed in 2018.  Star’s calling card was that he was a space eater that could occasionally flash as a pass rusher but he didn’t do that in Buffalo.    But you know who did?  Daquan Jones!

Kudos to Beane for recognizing it and then going out and getting the right player.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Add to them with dion O for the snowplow!  I’ve always wondered why you wouldn’t use the players this way. Serious question… a snow plow package on O that uses the big boyz. 

Lookup William "Refrigerator" Perry.  Da Bears 1985 Champs

5 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Yeah, I'd say he'll be on a pitch count, maybe coming in on 1st/2nd down for run defense. Or 3rd and long to anchor the middle. But it will be great to see he and Joseph both stuffed in the middle. 

Legs should be in good shape, but with a pec injury, he probably lost some upper body mass. 

Word is he has been killing it in the weight room

My question will be actual football shape

He can play half his usual reps just to get back to form for Miami. Or play the 1st quarter...

When facing an inferior foe, coaches should make it a must for the team to crush these foes early. After that, it's sack getting time for DLs, INTs for the secondary, fun run blocking for the OL, "vacation" for some, etc.

It won't happen if you keep the game close... or even lose. Nobody is focused 100% all the time. But make sure the team is focused 100% to start the game.

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Agreed, Star was supposed to be the big time anchor to the middle of the defense who could have some pass rush upside. 

The only time Star really to me played up to his massive deal was in the back half of 2019. For whatever reason he played well the last 6-7 games of the regular season and the lone playoff game. The run defense was much improved and he was pushing the pocket a bit.

But Star opted out during the 2020 season and then came back to play in 2021 and was mediocre again. 

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I believe a few days back, McD shut down and possibility of Milano returning this season. 

Very very happy to see Daquan back. 

McD didn’t outright say Milano was not coming back (I think his exact words were “doesn’t look good”) but yeah given that the average recovery time for players with the same injury who have surgery is 8 months it was always a long shot for Milano.

Banged up Bills had a good write up about it. Banged up Bills basically said that only 2 players who had the same surgery for the same injury came back before the 6 month mark (those players took about 10 weeks) but those were extreme outliers. 

So it was always a long shot for Milano unfortunately 

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Rapp is better in run support. Hyde doesn't seem to want to "stick his head" in there, which is understandable. 

I like a safety who plays better in coverage, I think while run support for a safety is valuable I think that run support is more so the job of the front 6-7 and slot corner. Whereas a lot of big plays in the passing game can be let up with poor coverage.

23 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Agreed, Star was supposed to be the big time anchor to the middle of the defense who could have some pass rush upside. 

The only time Star really to me played up to his massive deal was in the back half of 2019. For whatever reason he played well the last 6-7 games of the regular season and the lone playoff game. The run defense was much improved and he was pushing the pocket a bit.

But Star opted out during the 2020 season and then came back to play in 2021 and was mediocre again. 

I feel he was ok in 2018 too but it became clear early on that he wasn’t going to be any kind of impact player.  The excuses stated for start then and continued throughout his tenure in Buffalo.  My guess is that he’s a pretty good human and leader.  The Bills didn’t want to make him look bad so we got “he does things that don’t show up on the stat sheet.”

29 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I feel he was ok in 2018 too but it became clear early on that he wasn’t going to be any kind of impact player.  The excuses stated for start then and continued throughout his tenure in Buffalo.  My guess is that he’s a pretty good human and leader.  The Bills didn’t want to make him look bad so we got “he does things that don’t show up on the stat sheet.”

The thing is that when he was out the run defense did generally speaking suffer but the run defense at times when he played also did get gashed up the middle too. He was so up and down in terms of plugging the run defense.

It’s one thing if he is just was an elite run stuffer whose stats were fairly low. We have seen Joseph not have eye popping stats but the Bills have been a lot harder to run up the middle on since he signed. 

You can’t have very limited pass rush upside and be inconsistent in stuffing the run and be on a massive contract. I was so glad the team signed D Jones to replace him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.