Damar Hamlin as leading candidate for AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year receiving fan blowback

chongli

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Hamlin was technically cleared to play football, but the team and NFL lawyers "strongly suggested" not to play him.

Keeping him on an active roster is doing him a solid.  Everyone, including the player, is in on "the" plan, so all parties get what they want. 

I suspect the Bills will release him next year, while paying his entire contract in full, and he'll retire.     

11 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I’m so sick of hearing about Hamlin

Totally agree with this, when does it end! I get it, he died on the field and it was medical miracle that brought him back…that is amazing. But can we please just stop. It’s like constantly having to see Taylor Swift at a Chiefs game. Time to move on. Maybe those medical personnel should get comeback players of the year, they are keeping these players on the field and healthy, of course except the Bills defense, but still they are players in the game. And look there’s Damar Hamlin, everyone remember what happened to him….oh wait look at that, there’s Taylor Swift at the Chiefs game, you know she dating that Travis Kelce…wow, she’s at the game hootin’ and hollerin’🤮 ugh, gimme a break.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Giving the award to journeyman QBs definitely qualifies as diluting it. Those types of guys do things every year. 

The award is literally specifically for people who are having a good year despite being written off or having not played in previous years.

Flacco and Baker are prototype situations for this award. Especially Flacco. Former SB winner who was on his couch a couple months ago, and is leading the Browns (yeah, the browns) as they looked poised to make a run.

Damar has no business getting it. It just doesn't make sense, no matter how many times you say it.

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Amazing to me how much NFL fans care which millionaire is given a piece of metal to put in his house.

These guys are going on like the NFL gifted a team the Lombardi because they had the best team spirit.   It's comeback player of the year for God's sake.  

These types of responses are WEIRD.

Of course, I don't think anyone is super passionate about this... But we have long threads on everything NFL/Bills specifically and this certainly qualifies.

It's not that important. Obviously. I don't think anyone is taking that position. But it's a discussion.

Probably more merit to this than discussing Josh girlfriend, Xmas gifts given to members of the team, Gabe's mommy, etc...............

• Agree 1

Flacco or Baker will lose out because of our feel good story. 

Edit: and can we stop with the “Hamlin died on the field and came back” nonsense! 

He didn’t die. You know how I know? Because he’s not dead. 

What happened to him was horrible. Has he played more than 20 snaps this year? He has had zero impact on the team; even a team with a decimated secondary. 

Edited by stevestojan
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

In a football sense, several guys on that list deserve it more than Hamlin.

On the other hand, when you think of the word "comeback," it's really hard to beat Lazarus.

(Yeah, I know he didn't actually die, but his heart stopped and it wouldn't have restarted on its own. And the stats on CPR aren't very good. Obviously, it's better than nothing, but it fails more often than not.)

Edited by WhoTom

12 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

In a football sense, several guys on that list deserve it more than Hamlin.

On the other hand, when you think of the word "comeback," it's really hard to beat Lazarus.

(Yeah, I know he didn't actually die, but his heart stopped and it wouldn't have restarted on its own. And the stats on CPR aren't very good. Obviously, it's better than nothing, but it fails more often than not.)

In a way he did die, when his heart stopped it wasn't going to start beating on it's own. He was effectively dead but his body was in good enough working order still that they were able to work on him and jump start his heart and he was able to come back.

38 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Flacco or Baker will lose out because of our feel good story. 

Edit: and can we stop with the “Hamlin died on the field and came back” nonsense! 

He didn’t die. You know how I know? Because he’s not dead. 

What happened to him was horrible. Has he played more than 20 snaps this year? He has had zero impact on the team; even a team with a decimated secondary. 

For the record he's actually had a negative impact. Starting with the 12 men penalty and culminating in the lost fumble on the punt return vs. The Chargers. He was literally feet away from where the ball ended up and would've easily been the first player there. Instead he starts walking towards the bench while the play is happening.

HOT TAKE ALERT!!

He shouldn't have seen the field when he died and he shouldn't now. The whole reason why he was hit in the chest and stopped his heart was because he decided to try and tackle a guy who has 5 inches on him by standing in place and going high. He got trucked and it was his fault. 

He's not a good football player. It's that simple

12 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

It's weird how many of our own fanbase have seemingly turned on Hamlin, a guy who literally died for the sake of our entertainment.

No one turned on him. Just because he doesn't deserve CBPOY and he's a below avg football player doesnt mean anyone has turned on him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NY to VA to NV to TX to AZ said:

Totally agree with this, when does it end! I get it, he died on the field and it was medical miracle that brought him back…that is amazing. But can we please just stop. It’s like constantly having to see Taylor Swift at a Chiefs game. Time to move on. Maybe those medical personnel should get comeback players of the year, they are keeping these players on the field and healthy, of course except the Bills defense, but still they are players in the game. And look there’s Damar Hamlin, everyone remember what happened to him….oh wait look at that, there’s Taylor Swift at the Chiefs game, you know she dating that Travis Kelce…wow, she’s at the game hootin’ and hollerin’🤮 ugh, gimme a break.

I get this point but it’s too extreme. I know I got my CPR certification and a lot of others did because of this. I also know many more places are getting AEDs because of this as well. So it has made some real positive changes.

that said, he shouldn’t be comeback player of the year. Him going to all these crazy events and parties is his award. 

• Agree 1

I didn't read the whole thread but I would not give it to Hamlin.  He doesn't play enough and nor is he a huge contributor this season.

I was going to say Baker, but based on the last few weeks I'll change it to Flacco.  What he's doing for Cleveland is amazing.  He was lousy in his last two stops in Denver and NYJ, so I assumed his career was long over.  It's a great story.  I keep thinking it will end in a thud but he keeps making throws all over the place.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

The award is literally specifically for people who are having a good year despite being written off or having not played in previous years.

Flacco and Baker are prototype situations for this award. Especially Flacco. Former SB winner who was on his couch a couple months ago, and is leading the Browns (yeah, the browns) as they looked poised to make a run.

Damar has no business getting it. It just doesn't make sense, no matter how many times you say it.

He has all the business getting it, which is why he's one of the odds on favorites. It's a comeback story, and the award is all for show and shedding light on the player's story. It makes perfect sense no matter how many times you say it doesn't.

3 hours ago, dpberr said:

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks Hamlin was technically cleared to play football, but the team and NFL lawyers "strongly suggested" not to play him.

Keeping him on an active roster is doing him a solid.  Everyone, including the player, is in on "the" plan, so all parties get what they want. 

I suspect the Bills will release him next year, while paying his entire contract in full, and he'll retire.     

That's called turning something simple into something really complicated.

There should be an element of performance associated with this. 

Hamlin's appeared in 5 games and has logged two tackles on the season.  He's taken only 17 defensive snaps total, the rest on Special Teams.  

Great story, but in terms of comeback playing, he hasn't done much after cheating the odds so-to-speak.  His stats are those of a bubble NFL player that's struggling to stay on a team, or a practice squad type.  

2 hours ago, Hermes said:

For the record he's actually had a negative impact. Starting with the 12 men penalty and culminating in the lost fumble on the punt return vs. The Chargers. He was literally feet away from where the ball ended up and would've easily been the first player there. Instead he starts walking towards the bench while the play is happening.

HOT TAKE ALERT!!

He shouldn't have seen the field when he died and he shouldn't now. The whole reason why he was hit in the chest and stopped his heart was because he decided to try and tackle a guy who has 5 inches on him by standing in place and going high. He got trucked and it was his fault. 

He's not a good football player. It's that simple

He's not going to be on the team next season.  Arguably, the only reason why he made it this season, yet spent most of his time inactive, is because of the sensitive nature of if.  It would have been a terrible look to cut him after what had happened.  It's more than a fair guess that there was much very private discussion as to how to handle the situation "behind closed doors" at OBD.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

For the "remarkable performance" standard

Isn't making the team, being active, making a tackle, kind of remarkable for where he was at about a year ago

I get both sides but I think that constitutes as remarkable performance as it is and should be all relative 

It's definitely all relative and the NFL is gonna use the award to shed light on a more remarkable story, as well as the people involved.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Hamlin is going to write a book where he saw a "bright light" on the sidelines and was drawn to the the light.

Carol Anne Freeling poltergeist GIF

all are welcome, all are welcome....

34 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's definitely all relative and the NFL is gonna use the award to shed light on a more remarkable story, as well as the people involved.

I think they have been shedding light on that story for a solid year....

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Damar was dead.   Now he's on an NFL roster.   Gets my vote.

Flacco's career was dead, now he got a team into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

In a way he did die, when his heart stopped it wasn't going to start beating on it's own. He was effectively dead but his body was in good enough working order still that they were able to work on him and jump start his heart and he was able to come back.

Clinical death means permanent cessation of all circulatory, respiratory and brain activity. He was by no means “dead” on the field. Lack of intervention would have lead to death..

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Flacco deserves it.

Hamlin hasn't really come back. He has had near zero impact this year. It's a great story but the award is for having an impact on the field. Hamlin hasn't. 

Had Damar come back and earned a starting spot on the roster, then there would be no debate here. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Flacco deserves it.

Hamlin hasn't really come back. He has had near zero impact this year. It's a great story but the award is for having an impact on the field. Hamlin hasn't. 

It's a tough choice.

Joe Flacco - sucked last year and was considered washed, now doesn't suck and is leading a playoff push.

Damar Hamlin - almost died on field, now currently is not dead.

Damar is a nice story, but he was and still is a fringe NFL player at best.   Were the roster being evaluated/selected purely on ability to contribute, he’s probably out of the NFL.  

Tua would be my choice, the guy was knocked out several times last year and it looked like his career could be over and he’s back as one of the best in the game without injury this year.  Flacco is another obvious choice. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

A former coworker of mine had his heart stopped [Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA)] while he was in the dentist chair.  The dentist had been trained and restarted his heart.  He was prohibited from flying (like Poyer) and on Christmas eve I was called and asked if my passport was still valid which I confirmed; I was sent on day after Christmas to Yokota Air Base in Japan to lead install.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

A former coworker of mine had his heart stopped [Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA)] while he was in the dentist chair.  The dentist had been trained and restarted his heart.  He was prohibited from flying (like Poyer) and on Christmas eve I was called and asked if my passport was still valid which I confirmed; I was sent on day after Christmas to Yokota Air Base in Japan to lead install.

Damn...you have had some very interesting and very useful jobs! This, and also at Amazon (mentioned in the other thread). Sounds challenging and rewarding. Very nice.

Edited by chongli

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.