Allen Flopping

Kingston Bills Fan

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Threads like these really expose the homers on the board.

His flopping is an embarrassing tactic that, no, not every QB utilises. In fact, he's in the minority of guys who do it. We all love the guy, but that doesn't mean he can do no wrong.

My fear is a "boy who cried wolf" scenario in the playoffs where a legit late hit goes uncalled. You can only embarrass the refs for so long before they start looking the other way.

No this thread exposes the desperate lengths some posters on 2BD will go to throw shade at Allen.  Of course when critiquing Allen over his "flops" is the best you guys can do then we know that Allen is playing great as are the Bills.

BTW, I'm all for the flopping. How is Allen flopping any different then a defensive lineman who when being held throws his arms up in frustration begging the ref to throw the flag?

1 hour ago, TBBills Fan said:

Keep it up Josh. Take the yards any way you can get them

This is the sentiment of a true Bills fan.  Not sure where the complainers are coming from.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I gotta say I hate it. I love Josh he’s an amazing QB that does not need to do this, it’s embarrassing. I was talking to my buddy who is an Eagles fan about this about 4 or 5 weeks ago. 
I hate it in hockey and in soccer, it’s the most embarrassing thing a great player can do. Once again Josh is GREAT, he’s gotta stop flopping when he’s hit, it’s a terrible look. 

Specially when he’s out there trucking guys and stiff arming when he’s running. He can’t fall like he was shot and flail on the ground looking for a call when he’s touched in the backfield.

In fact, I think the flopping is downright necessary. It's often the case with physical QBs that they just aren't protected as much as the Tuas of the league. I remember when Michael Vick was in his prime, he wouldn't draw an unnecessary roughness flag ever. It's probably less of an issue now than it used to be, but think back to the egregious horse collar Josh got in the Eagles game, with a ref, about four yards away, staring right at him. If Josh gets fouled, he's gotta let them know.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sounds like something fans of losing teams complain about.  If it works, keep doing it.  Was the difference between 3 points and 7 points on 1st drive.  Allen has taken a lot of hard hits in his career and has earned some of these calls.  Plus he’s probably the toughest QB going so keep doing it if it works.  

• Agree 1

I expect it when mediocre players do it. It bothers me a lot when very talented players do it. And Josh not only does it all the time, but gets demonstrative to the officials claiming a hit to the head for example when it wasn't even close like Sunday.  The only way to get rid of it I think is for booth reviews of all head contact and if its a flop, penalize and fine the flopper.  It shouldn't take long. The Sunday flop would have taken < 30 seconds to review and reverse.

Like the OP, it bothers me so much because Josh is so talented.  And it cheapens his talent IMO.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

No this thread exposes the desperate lengths some posters on 2BD will go to throw shade at Allen.  Of course when critiquing Allen over his "flops" is the best you guys can do then we know that Allen is playing great as are the Bills.

BTW, I'm all for the flopping. How is Allen flopping any different then a defensive lineman who when being held throws his arms up in frustration begging the ref to throw the flag?

This is the sentiment of a true Bills fan.  Not sure where the complainers are coming from.

Exactly.  Work the system don't let the system work you!

In sales there is a saying, closed mouths don't get fed.  

• Like (+1) 1

The dark art of gamesmanship is part of being a talented player.

Tom Brady is the biggest whiner, the biggest bitcher, and the biggest cheat who ever played, except for his coach. Nobody's ever going to take his rings or pull the banners down at Gillette. The NFL has said that loud and clear.

If Josh wants to flop in a stiff breeze, go ahead Josh.  If he wants to stiffarm Aaron Donald or truck Kyle Van Noy, go ahead Josh.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

The dark art of gamesmanship is part of being a talented player.

Tom Brady is the biggest whiner, the biggest bitcher, and the biggest cheat who ever played, except for his coach. Nobody's ever going to take his rings or pull the banners down at Gillette. The NFL has said that loud and clear.

If Josh wants to flop in a stiff breeze, go ahead Josh.  If he wants to stiffarm Aaron Donald or truck Kyle Van Noy, go ahead Josh.

If you are going to choose, Kyle Van Noy > Aaron Donald. 

This is a nothing burger.

Idiots like Wright and other talking heads try to take some of the sting out of or deflect from their all-in on Dallas hot takes.

Buffalo got up on them and then just manhandled a lighter athletic Dallas defense. Not to mention how our defense smothered them for most the game.

All QBs try to draw the refs attention and lobby for flags on late hits, just about all receivers lobby for DPIs when they can't reel it in with tight coverage 

It is part of the game, and someone creating a montage of Allen trying to get a flag thrown means nothing.

Put together another montage of Allen taking late hits with no flag... plenty of those over his career too.

Meh... nothing to see here.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

A couple of Lebron references in this thread.

I think there’s a huge difference between the two. I think Lebron believes he’s been literally attacked 90% of the time he flops on the basketball court and legitimately deserves 35 free throws after every sneeze.

Whereas I think Allen knows there’s a bit of showmanship that goes into calls. He knows a tiny shove or face mask bump isn’t a flag on its own. But if he sends himself flying we get 15 yards and a first. I don’t think Allen’s flops are all that different from his trash talking. There’s something childlike about it. I laugh at it all the time. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I gotta say I hate it. I love Josh he’s an amazing QB that does not need to do this, it’s embarrassing. I was talking to my buddy who is an Eagles fan about this about 4 or 5 weeks ago. 
I hate it in hockey and in soccer, it’s the most embarrassing thing a great player can do. Once again Josh is GREAT, he’s gotta stop flopping when he’s hit, it’s a terrible look. 

Specially when he’s out there trucking guys and stiff arming when he’s running. He can’t fall like he was shot and flail on the ground looking for a call when he’s touched in the backfield.

Nicki Wright is that u?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, motorj said:

I'd say it's perfectly fine, defenders are trying to sneak in a hit to get into Josh's head, Josh on the other hand is getting in their head saying if you sneak him then you're getting a penalty

I used to hate the embellishments until I made that realization.  There are few things in football that I hate more than late/unnecessary hits, like drilling a guy on the ground when even minimal contact with a pinky finger would count for the tackle.

Pass rushers LOVE to push the envelope and test how late they can hit the QB after the ball is gone even it it's just a push, if only to "get in their head".  Josh is just calling attention to late hits from boundary-testers, to get in their heads instead.  Make them afraid of getting a technically valid (if "ticky-tack") penalty and maybe they'll stop going for those late hits or even subconsciously let up when going for a legal one.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

IDGAF about it. All teams do it. All teams whine for calls. All teams embellish things to make it look like a penalty. Kelce flops every game for instance. The Tampa game we lost people post pictures of Diggs jersey getting torn off with no call. No one seems to remember our DB getting grabbed by Tampas wide receiver and pulled in then unjustly called for PI. That’s what players and teams do. Diggs didn’t get the call cus he didn’t sell it. Teams push every edge they can to help them win. All teams do this *****. Josh just gets more publicity on it. 

9 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Allen also has a tendency to start a fight and then hide behind his linemen. 

he wasn't always this way

No he don’t. The one game the lineman was in the thick of it in the end zone and Josh went and threw his shoulder into the dude. Josh ain’t scared. Stop lying. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I just think it’s a B word move. Sorry if I respect someone for not flopping like a limp B word when he is barely touched. 
I love everything else about Josh it’s just cringy watching a 6 foot 5 tank of a guy falling like a girl immediately whining to the ref for a call.

How old are you?

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.