Allen Flopping

Kingston Bills Fan

It’s one thing exaggerating when taking a late or dirty hit, as to alert the refs on what’s happening. Falling spectacularly to the ground from someone gently touching you while trying NOT to hit you is another. I’d really prefer it if he didn’t do that. I’d really prefer it if NO ONE did. 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, RkFast said:

I was just gonna say...receivers DO take a page. Any close contact for a ball, if it falls incomplete the WR is up and waving his arms looking for a flag. Every team. Every game. 

Yes. But a little extra theatrics when getting bumped on the sideline can’t hurt. 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Considering Jerry got called for breathing on a qb, I figure Josh can do it another 30x and we're even.  

Hughes got flagged during a peak Brady era pats game for helping his own teammate up.

listen we have paid our dues on this sh*t. He’s on my team so I love it and think it’s pretty hilarious too. I’ll never apologize for it.  He’s getting yards however he can. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

yeah but they might get tired of finishing his fights all the time 

I mean i played some d3 ball and high school, everey OL was protective of the QB , as they should.  They're bigger, stronger etc and protecting their guy. 

And idk about all these fights you speak of. I recall like 2 but you make it seem like it's everey week

1 hour ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I gotta say I hate it. I love Josh he’s an amazing QB that does not need to do this, it’s embarrassing. I was talking to my buddy who is an Eagles fan about this about 4 or 5 weeks ago. 
I hate it in hockey and in soccer, it’s the most embarrassing thing a great player can do. Once again Josh is GREAT, he’s gotta stop flopping when he’s hit, it’s a terrible look. 

Specially when he’s out there trucking guys and stiff arming when he’s running. He can’t fall like he was shot and flail on the ground looking for a call when he’s touched in the backfield.

The thing is... almost every time he's "flopped" he has also been fouled.  Just because Allen flopped yesterday by pointing to his facemask and he wasn't hit in the facemask, Lawrence was called for a late hit, not hitting Allen in the face.  And it absolutely was a late hit.  He had time to pull back.

Allen may exaggerate the effect of these hits, but is it his fault he's a big dude who isn't impacted as much by these hits as smaller QBs?  Good on him to draw the attention of the refs.

9 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

it is great that they are protective of him but he doesn’t have to put them in that position as much as he does 

I mean idk how to even respond to this.  Your OL is supposed to be extremely protective of their QB on any level of football imo

They're doing what they're supposed to do bro

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1

This notion of Josh Allen flops is stupid if you ask me.  You can't flop if the player isn't hitting you after the fact and making illegal contact.  

Every single example they show in his flopping reel is literally a flag REGARDLESS if Allen tries to exaggerate it to make sure the ref sees it.  All Josh is doing is being smart, making sure the refs throw the flag on the illegal contact.  

For any Bills fan to be upset with it is even more puzzling.  

Keep doing you Josh...

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This notion of Josh Allen flops is stupid if you ask me.  You can't flop if the player isn't hitting you after the fact and making illegal contact.  

Every single example they show in his flopping reel is literally a flag REGARDLESS if Allen tries to exaggerate it to make sure the ref sees it.  All Josh is doing is being smart, making sure the refs throw the flag on the illegal contact.  

For any Bills fan to be upset with it is even more puzzling.  

Keep doing you Josh...

Some of them are light enough that they probably wouldn't be flags like the guy stopped enough for it not to be, but enough of them aren't and either way I don't care Allen is smart to punish defenders for being stupid and not pulling up in time, not to mention making them think about that is not a bad thing.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I gotta say I hate it. I love Josh he’s an amazing QB that does not need to do this, it’s embarrassing. I was talking to my buddy who is an Eagles fan about this about 4 or 5 weeks ago. 
I hate it in hockey and in soccer, it’s the most embarrassing thing a great player can do. Once again Josh is GREAT, he’s gotta stop flopping when he’s hit, it’s a terrible look. 

Specially when he’s out there trucking guys and stiff arming when he’s running. He can’t fall like he was shot and flail on the ground looking for a call when he’s touched in the backfield.

Why does it matter?  As you alluded to, he is hurdling/trucking defenders. Not curling in the fetal position like Brady/others have done. 

He is trying to draw a penalty....how is this different than:

1. OL: coming out of stance when defender jumps Offside

2. DL/others: holding up hands/flailing to get an OL/offensive holding

3. WRs: trying to "initiate" contact on under thrown passes- to draw def pass interference 

4. etc etc

It's called being a "smart" player.  And great players at various positions, see above, all do similar things to get a penalty called on the opposing team.

It's up to the refs to officiate fairly/best of their ability.  Plenty of times we have drawn the short straw with calls, so I'm always for "gamesmanship", without breaking the rules.

• Like (+1) 2

I mean, he definitely flops, but you gotta take what you can get!

Considering how many hits he takes & how many calls don't go our way, if someone gives you a little shove, may as well fall to the ground & see what happens! 😆

The only thing that looks kinda bad is the motioning for a flag before he even falls (or yesterday pointing to his helmet when his head didn't even get touched). Outside of that, keep it up!

Threads like these really expose the homers on the board.

His flopping is an embarrassing tactic that, no, not every QB utilises. In fact, he's in the minority of guys who do it. We all love the guy, but that doesn't mean he can do no wrong.

My fear is a "boy who cried wolf" scenario in the playoffs where a legit late hit goes uncalled. You can only embarrass the refs for so long before they start looking the other way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

26 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Some of them are light enough that they probably wouldn't be flags like the guy stopped enough for it not to be, but enough of them aren't and either way I don't care Allen is smart to punish defenders for being stupid and not pulling up in time, not to mention making them think about that is not a bad thing.

Fair counterpoint...But my rebuttal to that would that for everyone one that may have been light enough to not get a flag, Allen takes plenty others where no flag was thrown when it should have been including horse collars, face masks, etc.  Either, totally agree Allen is smark to punish defenders and making them think about it more is never a bad thing, especially for a QB who already takes more punishment than any other QB.

People want to be critical of Allen which is fine. But you have a multi SB winner, Tom Brady who gestured and flailed his arms wildly trying to get calls for years.  I mean i always called him a whiny b**ch but hey, it worked quite often. More power to him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fair counterpoint...But my rebuttal to that would that for everyone one that may have been light enough to not get a flag, Allen takes plenty others where no flag was thrown when it should have been including horse collars, face masks, etc.  Either, totally agree Allen is smark to punish defenders and making them think about it more is never a bad thing, especially for a QB who already takes more punishment than any other QB.

Of course he does, Chiefs game the drive before the amazing play that so tragically was called back by one of the three penalties they could have called on it, Allen got hit in the head no flag could have put us inside the 10 or so with a fresh set of downs but oh well.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Seriously.

Who hates 15 free yards?

Does the OP hate when the officials miss when our DB’s commit pass interference too!?

I just think it’s a B word move. Sorry if I respect someone for not flopping like a limp B word when he is barely touched. 
I love everything else about Josh it’s just cringy watching a 6 foot 5 tank of a guy falling like a girl immediately whining to the ref for a call.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

I just think it’s a B word move. Sorry if I respect someone for not flopping like a limp B word when he is barely touched. 
I love everything else about Josh it’s just cringy watching a 6 foot 5 tank of a guy falling like a girl immediately whining to the ref for a call.

Then you would have loved the beating Cam Newton took and his shortened career.

His build has nothing to do with protecting the QB.

28 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

His flopping is an embarrassing tactic that, no, not every QB utilises. In fact, he's in the minority of guys who do it. We all love the guy, but that doesn't mean he can do no wrong.

My fear is a "boy who cried wolf" scenario in the playoffs where a legit late hit goes uncalled. You can only embarrass the refs for so long before they start looking the other way.

The first couple years of his career, refs let defenders tee-off on him. So I think he is allowed to embellish a bit, to get the calls that he didn't from years past. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kingston Bills Fan said:

Let me guess: You clock out of work and then stay a half hour longer to give 110% effort. And don’t understand why others don’t come in on their day off.

• Haha (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

I am on the side of getting this out of the game but this take a a little over the top.   Google Brady flopping then report back on the the boy who cried wolf scenarios he had to deal with.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.