McDermott’s Defense against #1 Offense? Discuss

BringBackFergy

It’s a good win but this really isn’t unexpected for a McDermott team. When the offense is cooking his defense looks like the best in the league. It’s when the pressure is on that his defense folds. 

Also, the fact that we have this much talent and are still needing help to make the playoffs and are in this situation is on McDermott.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Lionel Hutz said:

It’s a good win but this really isn’t unexpected for a McDermott team. When the offense is cooking his defense looks like the best in the league. It’s when the pressure is on that his defense folds. 

Also, the fact that we have this much talent and are still needing help to make the playoffs and are in this situation is on McDermott.

For sure, all credit to the offense.

And we have amazing talent like Daquan Jones, Matt Milano, and Tre White. I mean, come on man!

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been critical of some of the DC work Sean has put out there this year...  but the past 2 weeks he has done a really nice job, both in terms of scheme and playcalling. 

Yup.  Again, if he’s an introspective person - and he seems to be that - Dunne did him a huge favor by mapping out for him exactly what he needs to work on.

McD’s main issue may just be that he’s a slow processor - we all know the type.  He can coach during the week but sometimes has trouble making quick adjustments and decisions in the heat of the moment, which seems to cause him to tighten up.  But if he can fix some of those issues and get better at relating to his players (there are plenty of professional development consultants who specialize in this kind of coaching), he can emerge a much better coach.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

No one said he's not a good DC. Close games are when he has choked.

That and it’s obvious the OC has always mattered and he picked a garbage one.  

Thus the calls to get one as HC. 

Have to do this in week 18 at Miami or the season is over because we lost to Zach Wilson Mac Jones and Denver at home.  

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been critical of some of the DC work Sean has put out there this year...  but the past 2 weeks he has done a really nice job, both in terms of scheme and playcalling. 

Feels like more variety and less predictability in a variety of down/distance situations recently

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Lionel Hutz said:

Sadly, I agree but right now I'm so high after this win. I just don't wanna go negative. 

3 hours ago, McBean said:

I am THE #1 anti mclap guy on here. 

I will say, his defense shoved today.

Good job McClap.

Continue to shut me up until you hold the Lombardi.

You might be wrong here. I thought I was number one.

The Bills were dominant and ready to play. McD deserves his accolades. His defense was smothering the whole game. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

You can tell that they worked together as a team. I definitely know he had a motivated speech to the group today about teamwork

Honestly great overall game today.

Not sure if he did much different to be honest. I'm pretty sure his message was consistent and not desperate. 

There was no need for inspirational pep talks here. The players knew how big this game was. The played with tremendous passion and executed throughout the game. 

Really looked like the Bills broke the Cowboys will. They were out physically played all game in trenches. 

Players played and the coaches game plan was excellent. 

Special teams still is concerning. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Sean has to take a lot of credit for a defensive performance that rivals any in years. These players were prepared to be physically dominant and fundamentally sound. No stupid penalties, great tackling and pressure when needed was what we served up today. Dallas walked out of Buffalo a beaten and demoralized team. What an incredible game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.