Burned out?

damj

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

The Sabres are going on their 13th playoffs-less season.

They have to be well into record territory in that way.  

IDK as I don't follow hockey.  

it is.....maybe they're trying to match the Bills drought.......Buffalo sports......

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Im with ya borther1! Mostly Imm just tired. Ive ben thinkin bout taken a brake from sports may be get a new hobby. Sumthin peace full like paintin or building a ship in a bottle but then I think may as well cut are ***** off an watch soccer while Im at it. I just dont know any more. Every thing stopped makin sense in the 80s.

i wish there was a way to hide all other posts but your responses. they are refreshing bursts of air in otherwise dismal and dark moments.

I wouldn't say I am burned out but I am definitely not feeling the excitement of the last few years.  Every team pretty much loses a stinker to a team they shouldn't but the Bills have lost way too many of those this year.

I am still cheering my team every week but its more like cool... its gameday... go bills. Meh.  Years past I'd be looking forward to this stuff all week and taking in every piece of content I could all week. Having meal preps, getting in my Bills wear and being pumped.  Not so much anymore.  Now I just casually watch on my computer on one side of my super ultra wide with this site open on the other.  Grab a snack.  Sit in my jammies.

The horrible officiating across the league has killed my interest in most other games years ago.  Even more so this year.  I barely watch any other games really.  A game that matters to us here and there.  I used to watch every game I could.

Probably if we have the same O of the last two weeks and we manage to beat KC and Dallas I'll get back involved a bit more but, I need to see it.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

First a late bye week and you look at the wreck the AFC is right now and you shake your head and think 1-2 wins more and pretty much the playoffs guaranteed if the Bills go 3-2 and what appears not to be a terrible path to get the SB.

Instead it is beat KC and got 3-1 down the stretch and have things go their way.

What a waste of a season otherwise.

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I wouldn't say I am burned out but I am definitely not feeling the excitement of the last few years.  Every team pretty much loses a stinker to a team they shouldn't but the Bills have lost way too many of those this year.

I am still cheering my team every week but its more like cool... its gameday... go bills. Meh.  Years past I'd be looking forward to this stuff all week and taking in every piece of content I could all week. Having meal preps, getting in my Bills wear and being pumped.  Not so much anymore.  Now I just casually watch on my computer on one side of my super ultra wide with this site open on the other.  Grab a snack.  Sit in my jammies.

Probably if we have the same O of the last two weeks and we manage to beat KC and Dallas I'll get back involved a bit more but, I need to see it.

And if they lose this week I'll probably be apoplectic.  

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

First a late bye week and you look at the wreck the AFC is right now and you shake your head and think 1-2 wins more and pretty much the playoffs guaranteed if the Bills go 3-2 and what appears not to be a terrible path to get the SB.

Instead it is beat KC and got 3-1 down the stretch and have things go their way.

What a waste of a season otherwise.

And if they lose this week I'll probably be apoplectic.  

Yeah, if they lose this week I pretty much wont care anymore this year.  I'll still watch to watch but no hopes of anything. 

1 hour ago, peterpan said:

Younger days, I was all Bills and it was terribly depressing.  Then I bought a motorcycle and that was awesome.  A truly hobby.  I had never experienced that before.  Whether it is hunting , guns, trucks, four wheelers…..

just try some other manly hobbies and have fun with that.  

ps I have also found it’s a lot more enjoyable to watch on TV. Get to the TV 5 mins before kickoff, poop in your own house,  Home immediately after the game.  No sun burn or frost bite…..

Good for you, Peter Pan! Absolutely NOTHING in this world is more manly than shooting defenseless animals in the woods from large distances, while prancing around in bright green tights for camouflage.

A slightly less manly idea for beating the Buffalo blues: spending more time with loved ones. Unless you’re Von Miller, I would even recommend taking a whole week off from work to do so.

Yet another idea: accept the reality that Sean McDumbDumb will always fail this team in critical moments as long as he is the head coach. Also accept the reality that the Buffalo Sabres will never make the playoffs as long as Terry Pegula owns them. Turn to the Buffalo Bandits of the National Lacrosse League. The Bandits should remain highly competitive as long as Terry Pegula is unaware that he owns them. Here is an enjoyable synopsis video of last year’s championship season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8OhGU97grQ

• Haha (+1) 1

Been a frustrating year. Honestly, every game they've lost they should've won. Nobody has really flat out dominated them and they've been in every one but they've found ways to let six of them slip away. Lame-o. 

I'm more burned out from chasing a soon to be three year old and his lil brudder who is a year and a half. 

3 hours ago, nucci said:

I watched 4 Superbowl losses in a row, 3 of them live. This is nothing.

I did too, and I strongly disagree. Even though they lost those 4 SBs, my opinion is that that era of being a fan was WAY BETTER than the "trust the process" excrement we've had to deal with over the past 6 years. We trusted Kelly & crew (and the defense) to pull out wins, and more often than not, they did. This current team (and coaches) has *potential* for sure, but they're just not consistent or reliable. Beating a dead horse here, but a new era is needed, and it starts with getting rid of McDermott. 😉

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I found the 2021 season to be fun but frustrating. 13 seconds ruined it. Last season started great but after the GB game things became increasingly stressful and all the mishaps, the Hamlin near tragedy and the horrible injuries combined with the Bengals complete domination in the playoffs burned me out totally. I told myself that I wouldn't get sucked in again this year and would keep a handle on investing too much in the Bills this season (LOL who was I kidding). This season has been extremely frustrating due to the coaching incompetence in all areas. I tell myself not to get too hyped for the KC game but there's always a part of me that retains that hope that somehow we will get a break on the bad karma and luck of the last 3 years and finally achieve some redemption! 

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I did too, and I strongly disagree. Even though they lost those 4 SBs, my opinion is that that era of being a fan was WAY BETTER than the "trust the process" excrement we've had to deal with over the past 6 years. We trusted Kelly & crew (and the defense) to pull out wins, and more often than not, they did. This current team (and coaches) has *potential* for sure, but they're just not consistent or reliable. Beating a dead horse here, but a new era is needed, and it starts with getting rid of McDermott. 😉

I agree. I just meant that there isn't a worse feeling than losing a Superbowl and we did it 4 times in a row. This season is frustrating but nothing compared to those losses. I agree about McDermott too

Edited by nucci

7 hours ago, damj said:

Maybe because I am depressed. Thanks for your support 👍

Maybe I'm making a point what is supposed to be a fun distraction from all the sh!t that drags us down every day isn't anymore

Keep your head up bud, if you look deeply there is usually more good happening than you realize. 

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, damj said:

I don't know if it's just me ... but after the last 13 weeks, I'm burned out with this team. I'm a season ticket holder,  and I'll be out there the next 2 weeks regardless and sporting the red, white and blue ... but I really don't care anymore.

But then again, maybe it is just me ... I don't care about much of anything any more. 

I looked to the Bills to be a distraction from everything else in my life,  but they're just as F'd as everything else

I hear you. In a weird way, following the drought teams was easier. They would often punch above their weight. It’s more disheartening when the team is really good and falls well below expectations.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The horrible officiating across the league has killed my interest in most other games years ago.  Even more so this year.  I barely watch any other games really.  A game that matters to us here and there.  I used to watch every game I could.

If the Bills get to 8-6 with wins over the Chiefs and Cowboys, then I think every Bills fan will be excited for the rest of this year. Right now, at 6-6 it doesn't look so good. But at 8-6 with three very winnable games left (Chargers, Pats, Dolphins) then the playoffs are a good bet.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Those year's were great as I don't remember screaming at the TV about decisions and always thought the offense or defense would do something special.  

Disappointing was "Wide Right" as there was no way the Bills should have lost and I still blame it on that was the year there was only a one week break prior to the SB and the Bills were woefully prepared (like flying to London Thursday night to play Jax).  The next three years they really were underdogs to Dallas & Washington & played bad.

Then came the late 90's and the prior playoff teams.  No one thought they were good enough to win it all, but there were playoffs, until Ralph Wilson decided Rob Johnson should start the playoff game (heck maybe we need the spirit of Ralph talking to Terry about McD😜🤣).  It was then too that Chuck Dickerson riled up the fanbase with his criticisms of Flutie.

29 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I found the 2021 season to be fun but frustrating. 13 seconds ruined it. Last season started great but after the GB game things became increasingly stressful and all the mishaps, the Hamlin near tragedy and the horrible injuries combined with the Bengals complete domination in the playoffs burned me out totally. I told myself that I wouldn't get sucked in again this year and would keep a handle on investing too much in the Bills this season (LOL who was I kidding). This season has been extremely frustrating due to the coaching incompetence in all areas. I tell myself not to get too hyped for the KC game but there's always a part of me that retains that hope that somehow we will get a break on the bad karma and luck of the last 3 years and finally achieve some redemption! 

2021 was the year we really first saw McD's situational awareness and bad game decisions.  The Bills were 7-6 and of course lost every close game and finally figured it out until 13 seconds.  I canceled my annual SB party I was so upset.

This year was supposed to be fun, the playoffs assured and then we'd start worrying about how McD would screw it up, however it is barely December, the playoffs in jeopardy and the issues have McD's fingerprints all over them.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, damj said:

I don't know if it's just me ... but after the last 13 weeks, I'm burned out with this team. I'm a season ticket holder,  and I'll be out there the next 2 weeks regardless and sporting the red, white and blue ... but I really don't care anymore.

But then again, maybe it is just me ... I don't care about much of anything any more. 

I looked to the Bills to be a distraction from everything else in my life,  but they're just as F'd as everything else

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

8 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Why do people get so damn depressed about everything? Yeah, they aren't playing well. It happens but posts like this are just ridiculous 

A good portion of Americans are going through a lot of problems now.  Whether it's financial, physical or mental issues and stress, people are having a tough time.  When the Bills are winning and have a shot at the big show, it lifts the entire city.  The Bills are the common bond, the water cooler talk, the message boards the conversation of the day.  This gives people an escape to let go of their issues and get caught up in the emotion of having some kind of victory in life.  

Are there better ways to do it? Sure. But In Buffalo, this is the way we grew up. I could hear the roar of the stadium from my house when we gathered around the radio for blocked out home games that weren't on tv. This city lives and dies football.  And it has an emotional identity to a great number of fans.  

Is this healthy? Probably not,  but it's real to people and their emotional attachments to things cause issues in their lives that require a degree of attention and compassion.

• Like (+1) 5

Grew up during the 90's Bills teams.  Those years were an absolute blast.  Until the last game of the year, of course.  

It was just recently that I realized strangely how much I love the game of football, but actually HATE the Super Bowl.  Not sure I've ever really enjoyed watching it.  My rooting interests were always casual.  The media hype, commercials, halftime show were nauseating.  My team never succeeded in winning the trophy, and most of the time it was actually someone I hated (Patriots, Cowboys, etc.)

Somehow, I was able to endure the frustrations of "the Drought" without completely giving up on the sport of football... purely based on the hope that we would EVENTUALLY land ourselves a franchise Quarterback again.  By Thanksgiving ever season, I was already thinking about the Draft prospects more than our remaining schedule.  I believed that once we got that QB, surely we could find ourselves back into the glory days of the Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas/Bruce Smith era.  And based on the law of averages, certainly we would manage to walk away with the Lombardi before I get old and pass from this Earth.

The first few years of Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott/Josh Allen seemed to go exactly as I anticipated.  Make the playoffs, check.  Win the division, check.  Win a playoff game, check.  Even the devastation of 13 seconds didn't discourage me.  I felt like we were on the edge of greatness, and finally ready to take that leap.  We were a powerhouse, and it was FINALLY going to be OUR TURN.

Oddly enough, it was the Minnesota Vikings game last year that totally killed my hype for this franchise.  Justin Jefferson's insane catch on 4th Down.  The botched snap in the Endzone.  Patrick Peterson intercepting the final pass in OT.  Something about that game told me "this team is cursed and will never pull it off."  Since that game ended, my enjoyment level has dropped to almost zero.  After 30+ years watching, I almost feel like I'm watching out of obligation.  Because if the Bills did somehow manage to pull it off, and I wasn't invested in the games...I would be just like all those bandwagon jumpers I'm always criticizing.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, damj said:

Didn't read through 4 pages so apologies if someone has already said this...was telling people all last week that the fans needed the bye week every bit as much as the players. The Sunday/Monday/Thursday nite games combined with the way the Denver and Philly games ended has me mentally exhausted. Hitting that deer on the way back from the Tampa Bay game didn't help either.

Edited by Steve O
  • Sad 1

Not burned out, just disappointed with this team. Disappointed with the wasted talent, and disappointed with the constant coaching blunders. I cannot get excited for this team anymore this year if/until the proverbial "stars align" and somehow they run the table to make the playoffs. Maybe at that point they'll be the hottest team in the league. Even beating if they beat the Chiefs, I'll still be like "that's nice", even that win won't drum up much excitement. And part of the problem is, knowing this team we could win out the next 4 games in epic fashion, and pull a "McDermott" in the season finale against the Dolphins and lose in the last second of a "win and your in-game". I cannot get excited for this team unless they make the playoffs which is a long shot, stuff is falling into place they allows a path to get there, but we still have the ultimate Joker card at the helm, ready to pull the rug out from under this team. And that is McDermott.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think for a portion of the fanbase there is some exhaustion and it really stems from not breaking through. 2017 to 2021 13 seconds everything was fun and the collective arrow was only pointing up. 13 seconds I have always said is when Camelot fell for many with McD/Beane as they felt that was the SB team and the way the loss happened was soul crushing. Last year was SB or bust and as obstacles kept coming that season itself felt like a trudge. Then the way it ended with such a dud of a loss at home only opened more question. This year a lot of things have not gone the bills way from coaching decisions, luck, injuries, one score losses etc.. and the clock with Josh's prime is legitimately on now and the missed chances are building so you can clearly see its wearing on the fanbase.

Expectation forever guide how you view and internalize things. I have forever believed the most fun other then actually winning a title as a sports fan is the period when team goes from down to becoming a true contender. It is positive vibes and fun across the board, very little can discourage you. Once the feeling/curtain closes and it is win or bust time it can be very frustrating and exhausting as you now you have the potential, but when is the break through. 

Yea this season has been up and down and I am probably more negative on their chances then I have been since 2017, but watching Josh is awesome and he always give them a chance. I think if they do miss the playoffs I will be more frustrated at wasting a good Josh year. But I also don't take football as seriously anymore, I enjoy it and I love the Bills even if sometimes they wreck Sunday lol but its a game and entertainment.

• Agree 2

I stopped looking for the Bills to bring my joy quite a while ago. Hail Murray probably was the last straw. 

This year has been salvaged by watching Red Zone for the first time ever. So many games are compelling and go down to the wire, and RZ is great for enjoying all of them. 

Online betting has been fun this year too.  Bet on the Bills’ opponents and it’s like making money off their losses.  Lessens the sting. And putting $5 on some parlays keeps interest in all the games instead of how the outcomes affect the Bills’ crumbling playoff chances. 

Ive shut down. 

I mean I didnt feel like this was going to be a superbowl team to start the season.

If you showed me how the league is today back in September id tell you wed most likely be representing the AFC in the Superbowl. 

Really tired of these failed finished. I expect us to continue to do it.

9 hours ago, damj said:

Nobody can tell you how to process the Bills season, but to throw your hands up and just lump them in to challenges the world deals out that people have to overcome, is sad. Rooting interests are supposed to enhance the entertainment value of spectator sports. You can’t say the 3+ hours every week you watch your team isn’t one of the most heightened experiences in your world. Treat it as entertainment with characters you have come to embrace. This team will provide plenty of thrills every week. It certainly gets you through these tough winter months.

9 hours ago, damj said:

If they win Sunday you’ll be unburned 

9 hours ago, damj said:

this week is an inflection point imo.

Win convincingly and they might have gotten the bye and changed up the offense just in time to save the season. 

lose and we can call it a season and shrug indifferently at the condescending ‘in the hunt’ moniker until actually mathematically eliminated 

I agree with burnout with Buffalo sports. 

I mean yesterday was all about how to get the Sabres back on track after 12 years of no Playoffs now … but you're not allowed to say that the bar for that franchise is too low. Buffalo is a small market, and the Sabres have a small market mentality. They will continue to peddle look at our prospect pool, we're really young, hey we just signed a 37-year old to show the young guys "how to win", Kevyn Adams really wants to be here. 

Whatever Sabres - where did Don G come from? They picked the guy 1-spot down the bench from Ralph Kruger. Where did Kevyn Adams come from? He was is next office over from Jason Botterill. 

As far as the Bills - again seeing the offense topped out because we don't have another dynamic weapon to pair with Diggs, the defense showing their age now, playing 10 yards off WRs in critical situations, and ultimately we're back to the Billsy loses. 

After 13-seconds I felt like it's just not going to ever happen for this city. I took some time away from football after that game and didn't follow anything Bills/NFL related until after the Rams opener. But, winning is fun, and they were winning. Allen played through the shoulder, I went to both games in Detroit. But I never felt good about that Monday Night game, and they were going to get killed. When our Coaches said they were going to reuse the same MNF game plan against Cincinnati in the Playoff game, I knew we were going to get steamrolled again. 

So, now, 6-6, sitting in disbelief that they blew the Patriots game, I laughed and turned off the TV against the Broncos, and I knew as soon as that 59-yard field goal went through that the Bills were going to lose against the Eagles - listening to WGR still talk about the Bills as if they are some big, bad, dangerous team that nobody wants to play. 

Beat the Chiefs, then beat Dallas, get to 8-6, and then I'll believe they have a glimmer of hope. I don't want to hear about mathematically being alive if they lose 1 of the 2 next next games. Otherwise, I'm turning my attention to how the Bills can get another elite WR. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.