McD on late game decisions - "Hindsight is always 20/20"

HomeskillitMoorman

The 20/20 is we should have trusted our eyes after 13 seconds and not wasted more time. These top players don’t stay great forever and we are going to lose Diggs. And truthfully I don’t even blame him. If McDermott couldn’t win that game with the lead and 13 ***** seconds left, he’s never going to. You aren’t going ti have 30 point leads against the good teams in the playoffs. We almost lost the colts game and the dolphins 3rd string QB playoff game. This guy isn’t it. Move on. Stop wasting everyone’s time. We know it’s over. This is who he is.

Thank you very much for ending the drought. That’s not sarcasm. I truly appreciate it and I’ll always have love for the guy for fixing the mess he walked into. But we have bigger places to go and he isn’t going to be the one that takes us there. Please, please stop wasting years.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

My kid went to football camp with his son.    He happened to walk up and stand next to me while the kids were doing drills.   I chatted with him for a few minutes.  Didnt find him unapproachable or intense.  Then again I wasnt asking him for an autograph, a picture, or why he doesnt win games in overtime.  Tend to find if you treat people like human beings there isnt an issue.

I would never, ever bother anyone for an autograph.  Never.  And I didn’t want/need/attempt/care to talk to him.  But I have seen him around town and he strikes me as a guy who likes to be left alone, which is totally fine.  (I’m the same way, for what it’s worth.   I don’t want to be bothered with chit chat about my job or the nonsense of the day at my kids’ practices.)

• Like (+1) 1

I think listening to Locked on Bills latest explanation of why McD sucks would be good.  I defended McD for the past couple years.  I am done. 

If this guy really felt hind sight is 20/20 he would have realized he had 20 seconds, 2 TOs and JA to win the ***** game.  Instead he opted to go into another overtime game where he is 0-6. 

Edited by nedboy7

27 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The 20/20 is we should have trusted our eyes after 13 seconds and not wasted more time. These top players don’t stay great forever and we are going to lose Diggs. And truthfully I don’t even blame him. If McDermott couldn’t win that game with the lead and 13 ***** seconds left, he’s never going to. You aren’t going ti have 30 point leads against the good teams in the playoffs. We almost lost the colts game and the dolphins 3rd string QB playoff game. This guy isn’t it. Move on. Stop wasting everyone’s time. We know it’s over. This is who he is.

Thank you very much for ending the drought. That’s not sarcasm. I truly appreciate it and I’ll always have love for the guy for fixing the mess he walked into. But we have bigger places to go and he isn’t going ti be the one that takes us there. Please, please stop wasting years.

He doubled down this year with more last minute losses than most teams have in many seasons let alone 2/3rds of one  We still got 5 more games for him to add to his total of colossal let downs

1 hour ago, Ramza86 said:

Did he really say that? lol

He was dumb to throw away a timeout to "ice" the kicker.

I wouldnt have played for OT with 20 secs and a timeout....but I get why he did.

We should have had 2 timeouts and 20 seconds and he would have gone for the win. 

If youre gonna play for OT and take it to OT.....at least dont be that soft on defense....my god. Pathetic mentality. 

You make some good points what is trouble some is that he didn’t think he would make the kick

gusrantee it so they packed it in thinking it was over and didn’t plan for 20 more seconds

they were going to knee I’d he missed it - so they knees when he didn’t which is just bad coaching and planning 

The issue with this response as others have already stated is that he keeps repeating the same mistakes over and over and over again.  If I have to watch his soft conservative defense play 10 yards off the receivers to the ruin of another josh epic performance I may just stop watching the games all together.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Is he?

Boy fan anger over this latest loss is near an all time high.  I already experienced my max frustration after the Mac Jones career day he had versus us a few weeks ago, I have since been talked off the ledge.

I have to let go of some of the emotion by reminding myself that it is a game being played for entertainment, and I’m not even playing in it. I have more important things to take so intensely and personally. Yeah, it sucks, and something will happen (or not). I just hope we realize this team’s potential. 

For now, I have a college basketball team that is going to get a little more of my focus. There are other things out there. I’ve been at this too long to let it make me crazy. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have to let go of some of the emotion by reminding myself that it is a game being played for entertainment, and I’m not even playing in it. I have more important things to take so intensely and personally. Yeah, it sucks, and something will happen (or not). I just hope we realize this team’s potential. 

For now, I have a college basketball team that is going to get a little more of my focus. There are other things out there. I’ve been at this too long to let it make me crazy. 

We'll revisit thoughts once we have another off season to go through and Sean is still here to screw us in 2024

McD can still save his job: lead the team to the playoffs. Anything but that and he should go. 

Thing is, before that happens, Bills have to have a clear idea of a few available candidates to replace him!  Too many people just want to fire the guy, without thinking of the next step(s).

BTW the team played hard still, so the "lost the locker room" narrative crap has got to go.  But he is the opposite of clutch.

• Dislike 2

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

McD can still save his job: lead the team to the playoffs. Anything but that and he should go. 

Thing is, before that happens, Bills have to have a clear idea of a few available candidates to replace him!  Too many people just want to fire the guy, without thinking of the next step(s).

BTW the team played hard still, so the "lost the locker room" narrative crap has got to go.  But he is the opposite of clutch.

No.  I'd rather miss the playoffs this year if it means getting rid of him.  He is killing Allen's prime years

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcdermott-on-questioning-late-game-decisions-hindsight-is-always-20-20

This guy does not get it. At all. 

No, it's not hindsight. It's being prepared for late game situations. He's not prepared for them after 7 years on the top job and after 22 years of coaching in the NFL. 

I have never seen anyone take on less accountability than this clown. Who will the next scapegoat be? 

I'm not sure at this point who I dislike more, McD the coach or McD the human being. 

The GM for providing below average or over the hill players.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

He doesn't think well on his feet in pressure situations.  That's why he uses the timeouts.  I don't think it's a philosophy or strategy or anything.  He just doesn't trust himself and his players to make the right call or play under pressure.  We all know people like this (or we may even be that guy).  That's why you see these asinine late game timeouts that seemingly help the opposition more than us, and see a future HOF quarterback with 350 yards and 4 TDs already under his belt kneeling out the clock with 20 seconds and 1 time out in a MUST WIN GAME.  This panicked loser mentality undoubtedly rubs off on the players. 

Can you imagine Allen and these guys under a truly confident, decisive and ballsy leader? 

like Harbaugh? Plus the NFL looks the other way when teams “bend” the rules.

Edited by ControllerOfPlanetX

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Terry Pegula is the only one who can fix this. I doubt anything happens now but if the Bills miss the playoffs, then he has to do something. 

he has to do something if we don't at LEAST make the AFC Championship game, and play well with good coaching.  Otherwise, we have still backslid and are wasting Allen.  

• Like (+1) 1

Hindsight might be 20/20 but foresight is necessary and lacking from the coach's thinking and actions.

Say you think taking on an MMA fighter in a bar brawl is a good idea.  What's more important?  Thinking it through using foresight and dismissing the idea or using hindsight waking up in the hospital 3 days later?

If our HC would just say I made a mistake or error and in the future I will correct it and make a  better decision that's something I'd respect.  But dodging accountability while holding everyone else accountable isn't good leadership.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I think the real reason he didnt push the 20 seconds there for a FG was because he was terrified of an Allen pick. I think that's a terrible reason NOT to try to win , but it's certainly a reason. 

I hate to say that when I thought we were going for it (short lived as it was) I assumed Allen would likely throw an Int there. Honestly how could I not?  He's thrown at least 1 in the last 7 games in a row  I believe. That all being said, I was so hoping they'd go for it and was pissed when they lined up to kneel it down. 

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcdermott-on-questioning-late-game-decisions-hindsight-is-always-20-20

No, it's not hindsight. It's being prepared for late game situations. He's not prepared for them after 7 years on the top job and after 22 years of coaching in the NFL. 

I have never seen anyone take on less accountability than this clown. Who will the next scapegoat be? 

I'm not sure at this point who I dislike more, McD the coach or McD the human being. 

"The Bills had an opportunity to get into range for a game-winning field goal in regulation, but McDermott said he worried about Allen taking a sack, and didn’t know if 20 seconds would be enough time."

WOW.  HIS EXCUSE does not even make sense.  He was worried about Allen taking a sack?  I get blaming the weather, inteception, pick 6 as an excuse (don't agree with it), but a sack?  What is the negative of that.  Nothing.  McWorried should be sacked.  

3 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I honestly don’t want to hear anymore excuses from this guy. He prob cost us a chance at a sb in 21 and has been on a regression ever since. Enough is enough with his snide excuses 

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean it’s certainly gone bad but a defensive timeout led to a huge 3rd down stop to keep Philly in fringe field goal range they just hit an absolute bomb.

20.9 % of making that kick from Nex Gen Stats.   I know he made it,  but that kick was a pull slice (golf term) and ugly as heck.   But nonetheless, he made it.

Those attacking McD personally can put it where the sun don’t shine.  Devoted family man of faith from all accounts.  But I would argue he made two really bad decisions yesterday, one of which he has made too many times:

1.  Calling a TO to ice the kicker.  That does nothing to a pro kicker

2.  Taking the ball out of the hands of a great QB with 20 seconds left.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

That's why you see these asinine late game timeouts that seemingly help the opposition more than us, and see a future HOF quarterback with 350 yards and 4 TDs already under his belt kneeling out the clock with 20 seconds and 1 time out in a MUST WIN GAME.  This panicked loser mentality undoubtedly rubs off on the players

Exactly!

You have a driving rain storm and the Kicker must blast it 59 yards. Only a buffoon calls a TO to give that Kicker MORE time to concentrate on getting it right!

And then, because you’ve called TWO TOs, you screw your own super human QB when you do!

This ‘ 13 ticks’ and ‘12 men on the field’ ***** clown NEVER gets it right!

Never.

Ever.

1 for 6 in OT as well?

BEGONE! Got to go!

He’s a loser dissipating the career talents of the greatest QB the Bills have had and one of the GOAT should he continue for another decade!

Of course, the QB will be leaving Orchard Park looooong before, if he has a chance to win anywhere else.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

We'll revisit thoughts once we have another off season to go through and Sean is still here to screw us in 2024

I go back to the Rockpile. To me 2024 is just one more blip. I’m not going to let them make me crazy. A little sad and upset for a bit, but life goes on.  

10 minutes ago, buffalostu2 said:

20.9 % of making that kick from Nex Gen Stats.   I know he made it,  but that kick was a pull slice (golf term) and ugly as heck.   But nonetheless, he made it.

People seem to also forget, Philly made the kick harder on themselves with Penalties than the Bills defense did.  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Those attacking McD personally can put it where the sun don’t shine.  Devoted family man of faith from all accounts.  But I would argue he made two really bad decisions yesterday, one of which he has made too many times:

1.  Calling a TO to ice the kicker.  That does nothing to a pro kicker

2.  Taking the ball out of the hands of a great QB with 20 seconds left.

You left one out.

He had no spy on hurts for his game winning TD run

yes the memory of 13 seconds probably should have been enough muscle memory to keep the timeouts and work the 20 seconds.  agree.

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

I have no more McD left in me, he has to go. 

I don't think it will happen.   Pegs is nursing his wife back to health.  I'm sure that's about all he's been thinking for many, many months, with good reason.   

I could be wrong, but he's leaving the team to the McBeanes for the foreseeable futue, which means they ain't goin anywhere.   

Given how they executed for much of the game, running the table from here on out is a real possibility.   Hang in there, fanatics.   This ain't over just yet.  

5 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I will just take one of his many poor decisions,  like wasting his second time out so he could ice the kicker.  What pressure did that kicker have making a 59 FG in a rainstorm? If he misses no one is going to blame him and wasting that timeout actually gave them time to properly to prepare.  

Then that decisions leads him not taking a shot with 20 secs left.  McDermott says there were risks,  Philly had one sack in that game and KC moved down the field in 13 secs on this very Bills team.  The bigger risk was losing the coin toss and expecting your defence to get a stop or winning the toss and only getting a FG which is what happened and Philly then going down the field for TD.  

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Why would you dislike McD as a human being?  You literally dont know the guy personally.  

I like what I know about him away from football, but I want him off the Bills payroll 🤣

38 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I will just take one of his many poor decisions,  like wasting his second time out so he could ice the kicker.  What pressure did that kicker have making a 59 FG in a rainstorm? If he misses no one is going to blame him and wasting that timeout actually gave them time to properly to prepare.  

Then that decisions leads him not taking a shot with 20 secs left.  McDermott says there were risks,  Philly had one sack in that game and KC moved down the field in 13 secs on this very Bills team.  The bigger risk was losing the coin toss and expecting your defence to get a stop or winning the toss and only getting a FG which is what happened and Philly then going down the field for TD.  

I know, even with one timeout. You have Josh Allen, throw a bomb for FG range and call the timeout, if it's picked its like a punt who cares.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Because everything with him is deflecting accountability. It's the fault of his coordinators, bad luck, or in this case it's just hindsight.

It's not like you can be prepared for late game management scenarios. Oh wait...yes you can.

For example, if you were down 4 with 1 minute left and no timeouts and it was 4th and 1 at the goal line and you decided to take a field goal and attempt an onside kick and it doesn't work...it's not hindsight to say it was horrible game management. It would have been horrible game management even if it worked. And I would say it for the other way around too. I have disliked McD for a long time but I defended him when we went for it on 4th and goal, down 3, with 1 second left or whatever it was vs the Titans a couple of years ago when we didn't get it. It didn't work out, but it was absolutely the right call to go for it there. That's what you do as a Head Coach, put your team in the best position to succeed. 

But questioning these decisions isn't Hindsight like he said, it's just being prepared for them. He rarely ever is and he makes the same mistakes over and over and over again and has been for 7 years now. 

Yes, I don't like someone that tries to pawn off accountability onto others and to completely deflect from themselves for their own horrific decisions. It's not a good character trait. 

Yep. A leader should never deflect blame to others.

The man needs to read “extreme Ownership “ by Jocko and learn a thing or 10

17 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

I like what I know about him away from football, but I want him off the Bills payroll 🤣

I know, even with one timeout. You have Josh Allen, throw a bomb for FG range and call the timeout, if it's picked its like a punt who cares.

Or PI just like Denver got on us,  but remember the game last season against Detriot similar situation only difference was Allen had 23 secs and Allen hit Diggs for 36 yards to set up 45 yard FG and win the game

6 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I don't disagree that McD is flawed in putting everything on his defense in late game situations and using his TOs to help them out at the expense of the offense...but on this Board he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  In the Denver game he blitzes at the end and gets burned.  In this game he doesn't.  Same result...a loss.    He got away from "playing not to lose" and now he's back there again.  My hope is that during this bye week he realizes he needs to put the game on his offense...which is now the team's strength under Brady.  Play the season out with that mindset.  Let's see what happens.  In the off season...depending on what happens, let the chips fall where they may.

Just now, Since1981 said:

A 49 yr old that doesn’t grow. Time to move on. Nice guy, steady, but so am I and I don’t make $8M, nor can I coach an NFL team

Don’t be too hard on yourself…with the talent on the roster I’m sure you would be able to get us to .500 just like McD 😆

To me he strikes me as a horrible boss/manager.  Doesn’t grow or mature and blames/fires his subordinates as if he didn’t directly hire all of them.  Dabol’s interaction after the Giants game tells the tale.  Rather than a hug and thanks for helping me get a HC gig it was a curt FU from the man most responsible for McD’s previous success.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.