Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

No.

Not any more.

I never was a big fan but continued to give him the benefit of the doubt.  In my view, McCoach is a fraud. No more benefit of the doubt. He always talks about accountability but would rather throw others under the bus than look in the mirror.

McCoach will be known for 12 men, 13 seconds, and host of other issues - including the right to take Patrick Mahomes in the draft.

Not so fun fact: last night was not the first time that McCoach got caught with his pants down with too many men on the field. Unbelievably, a few years ago, McCoach's Buffalo Bills had 15 men on the field. I had never seen that before and I have not seen that since. 

McCoach/Bills Caught with 15 Men on the Field

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, stuvian said:

As bad as we have been, I believe in letting McDermott try to redeem himself for the remainder of the season. 

Completely agree. I might feel differently if we had Leslie Frazier waiting in the wings to take over as interim and finish out the season. But as unlikely as a playoff spot (let alone run) looks right now, I'm not throwing in the towel on the season just yet and I have no issue with giving McDermott the opportunity to redeem himself. I will however admit to thinking we may be better off if he doesn't redeem himself

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

If we can’t get Ben Johnson, would you be ok with Jim Harbaugh? He managed to win with Kaepernick. I feel like he would be just fine with Allen. 

I’m a life long Harbaugh hater, but I’d have no choice to be ok with it.  Luckily for Terry, it doesn’t matter what I’m ok with.  

I think Harbaugh is very good coach that has a shorter shelf life with pro teams than a very good coach should have.  He’s a douche.  Most people don’t like douches imo.  So most of the players won’t like him after awhile.  He’s built for college imo.  

if he were our next coach, I’m sure I’d be excited.  

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We will find out if Dorsey was the problem on offense.  If we don’t see a change after terminating Dorsey, then the house needs to be cleaned.

Well, installing a new offense now would be difficult at best. Play design is terrible, how much of that can be changed in a week? Play calling could improve. But in the end this is McDermotts mess, he should be held accountable.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Araiza Curse said:

If we can’t get Ben Johnson, would you be ok with Jim Harbaugh? He managed to win with Kaepernick. I feel like he would be just fine with Allen. 

In my opinion that's the exact sequence.  You do everything in your power to sign Ben Johnson. And if things go south, you go after Harbaugh. One of these 2 will be the Bills next HC.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We will find out if Dorsey was the problem on offense.  If we don’t see a change after terminating Dorsey, then the house needs to be cleaned.

Yeah, should get an idea if it's Dorsey or McD who is main one insisting Josh change his style of play

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Doesn’t matter what we want. 0% chance he’s getting fired. McDermott is the guy calling the shots in Buffalo. Whatever McDermott wants, he’s going to get. You could tell after McDermott presser last night that changes were going to be made.

If you guys remember when they hired McDermott. They hired him before they hired the GM which was unheard of at the time. McDermott led the GM search. Everything starts with him. Terry has given him the keys. The success the Bills have had in his tenure. He’ll get his opportunity to right the ship. 

It amazes me how many fans just don't grasp this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll add this:  when the season started, McD's defense looked aggressive & swarming, and like one of the top D's in the league.

IF the offense hadn't stepped back like they have, we would have a much better record right now.  The D obviously wouldn't be as good at this point anyway, because of the injuries - but the O hasn't done them any favors. 

McD WITH a good OC might be a winning combo.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

So let me get this straight, everyone wants to fire the coach that has taken us to the playoffs 5 out of 6 years and won the division 3 years in a row all because we are 5 - 5 just over the halfway mark this year (who has a .639 winning %).

I believe McDermott is a victim of his own success as Bills fans now expect so much more. Late 90's, 00's and 10's fans be like D amn you be upset because of what now !!!

Holly recency bias Batman!  

review then Bills last 4 exits from the playoffs, with some of the  Offenses and Defenses in the League.

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

It amazes me how many fans just don't grasp this.

Fans just being emotional. You don’t fire a guy that has 4 straight double digit win seasons and 3 division titles and fire him after one bad season lol. Very bad way to run your organization. 

5 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

So let me get this straight, everyone wants to fire the coach that has taken us to the playoffs 5 out of 6 years and won the division 3 years in a row all because we are 5 - 5 just over the halfway mark this year (who has a .639 winning %).

I believe McDermott is a victim of his own success as Bills fans now expect so much more. Late 90's, 00's and 10's fans be like D amn you be upset because of what now !!!

Holly recency bias Batman!  

It’s really ridiculous when you think about it lol. 

• Disagree 3

I know I’m not the only one who this coaching staff lost before this season ever started.

13 seconds was the beginning of the end. Hopefully Pegula has the balls to can him. If this season devolves further, as it looks like it might, maybe it happens before seasons end.

Joshx alone, makes this a desirable gig.

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You need a 3rd answer:  Undecided or Inconclusive

Ive long thought, and still do, that McD is a good football coach.  His coaching record supports that, and honestly, its indisputable no matter how bad someone wants him gone.  

However, not every good football coach is the right coach for the team at a specific time.  Andy Reid's time came to a close in Philly, Belichick is wearing out his welcome in NE, Coughlin wore his welcome out more than once, Harbaugh lost the team in SF, etc etc.  Sometimes a fresh change is just needed for the team and the coach.  

So even if McD is replaced, I will hold the opinion he is a good football HC while he is on the open market and I would expect him to land a new gig.  But, I don't know if McD is done here right now...I know that Dorsey and the offense have been a major problem and the sole reason we have 5 losses though.  

The defense, despite its injuries has played well enough and held together well enough after devastating injuries for us to be 10-0, but the offense crapped the bed week 1 and then again in all 4 of our losses along with 2 weak wins we barely snuck out with against Giants and Bucs.  

So...for me, I want to see how this team now responds to the shake up of getting rid of Dorsey.  It doesn't mean Joe Brady is the answer either, I mean he is an interim OC, not someone they went out and hired to rebuild the offense.  But, if McD to get this team to rally around Brady and turn this thing around and make the playoffs still, then I support McD returning next year either with Brady or someone else at OC if need be.  

But, if its just more of the same the rest of the season even after the change and we miss the playoffs then I think its time for a new coaching staff and let Beane find his guy (McD was hired before Beane).  

I agree with just about all of this. Especially about a coaches message getting old and starting to fall on deaf ears. 
   While I understand your point about his defensive acumen, the fact that he allowed Frazier as much leash as he did was a precursor of my distrust for him now. Watching the defense crumble again with the game on the line was just more of the same in that regard.

51 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Fans just being emotional. You don’t fire a guy that has 4 straight double digit win seasons and 3 division titles and fire him after one bad season lol. Very bad way to run your organization. 

It’s really ridiculous when you think about it lol. 

I’m beginning to think that you’re a McDermott blood relative. 

Audience Reaction GIF by Originals

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Actually, I was in agreement with you that he "runs the ship." I do think that his ship has sailed and that he should be fired.

• Like (+1) 1

It was NEEDED.  McD has built a top team and when healthy the defense was top 5.  If they fire McD he will have another HCing job in a heartbeat. 

The defense has been playing well considering all the injuries to the main players. The offense has been playing like crap until Josh Allen plays lights out at times.

Dan Orlavasky of ESPN   

Edited by Nihilarian

3 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Anyone who wants McDermott to be the coach of this team next season is accepting a team that will almost certainly underperform and make crucial mistakes at key moments.

I'm done with any Bills team that has McDermott as it's coach

You forgot, ...make the playoffs and compete for the division. I'm not saying I'm entirely sold on McDermott, but I want one more year with a new OC and hopefully better injury luck.

Mike Tomlin-   17 seasons, one championship, .637 win %

John Harbaugh, 16 seasons, one championship, .611 win %

Sean McDermott, 7 seasons, no championships, .626 win %

I guess all it takes to have tenure is to win one superbowl regardless of how the team does after that.  

4-5 in the playoffs. Too many dumb mistakes/poor in game decisions/bad time outs. Prehistoric philosophy of defense/offense.  Wasted two years to realize they had zero talent for his qb.  Unwillingness to adapt, give other players a shot and  owe up to mistakes.   I've seen enough to be willing to risk getting someone worse  I'm not satisfied with a team that needs their qb to be Superman with no mistakes during a playoff run as the only opportunity to win  Heck Josh would have that on many rosters in the league  He is that talented   McDermott will waste it with his defensive philosophy which the league always seems to exploit in critical moments or do we need to rehash them yet again?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A few may recall me writing this in 2020, at which point I was universally condemned, but now most fans would agree!

McDermott is a solid playoff coach, but not a championship coach, I fear... So Bills fans are like, "We're 8-3! Enjoy it!" But I see a frustrating period of good-but-not-good-enough on the horizon for the foreseeable future.

And that's depressing. I am absolutely not of the "Hey, it's Buffalo; at least we're winning" type of mentality. It's championships or nothing. That is the life goal. And with McDermott signing a long-term contract, I almost feel as hopeless as I would if we sucked. If we sucked, at least there would be hope of striking coaching gold on an imminent hire. In this case, though, I feel like we'll just be a solid playoff team for the next many years, but not elite enough to win it all.

So, yeah, LAMP! Suck it 🙂

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So I voted yes. Simply because I truly think the only way he saves his job is if the Bills make the playoffs. And at 5-5 now and with the current schedule of teams left to play in KC, Philly, Dallas, LA Chargers and Miami that would be a heck of a run to go 5-2 or better down the stretch and make the playoffs. Talk about an enjoyable run. 

• Like (+1) 1

I voted No, but that’s meant as a snapshot of right now. There’s still time for McD to change my mind. The 12 man penalty costing us that game is a fireable offense IMO. But with no clear replacement on staff, there’s no point in firing him now - that won’t get us into the playoffs. 

If we stay on roughly this trajectory, McD should be fired as soon as we’re mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. If we turn it around, I’m open to bringing him back, depending on the specifics of the turnaround. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.