Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

I love McD and think he fixed a very broken culture here.  However, you can only sustain your culture through winning to prove that it's the right culture.  The winning hasn't happened to the level it needed to, so now the preaching of McD is falling on deaf ears.  

Sadly, McD's lack of offensive knowledge and inability to affect that side of the game will be his downfall. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I love McD and think he fixed a very broken culture here.  However, you can only sustain your culture through winning to prove that it's the right culture.  The winning hasn't happened to the level it needed to, so now the preaching of McD is falling on deaf ears.  

Sadly, McD's lack of offensive knowledge and inability to affect that side of the game will be his downfall. 

Well said.

To add to what you just said: If your calling card as a head coach is mental toughness, attention to detail, and disciplined football, and your team is no longer ticking any of those boxes....what are you offering, exactly? If you're a defensive mind who -- when given the shot as the de facto defensive boss -- doesn't get the job done on defense (and yes, I know there have been an unreal amount of key injures), then what are you offering, exactly?

I have always been a McDermott defender, but my gut and my eyeballs (not to mention the look on Josh Allen's face most games) tell me it's time for a fresh start.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm trying to get a feel for where Bills fans stand on this issue this morning.

Simple Yes or No question.

You need a 3rd answer:  Undecided or Inconclusive

Ive long thought, and still do, that McD is a good football coach.  His coaching record supports that, and honestly, its indisputable no matter how bad someone wants him gone.  

However, not every good football coach is the right coach for the team at a specific time.  Andy Reid's time came to a close in Philly, Belichick is wearing out his welcome in NE, Coughlin wore his welcome out more than once, Harbaugh lost the team in SF, etc etc.  Sometimes a fresh change is just needed for the team and the coach.  

So even if McD is replaced, I will hold the opinion he is a good football HC while he is on the open market and I would expect him to land a new gig.  But, I don't know if McD is done here right now...I know that Dorsey and the offense have been a major problem and the sole reason we have 5 losses though.  

The defense, despite its injuries has played well enough and held together well enough after devastating injuries for us to be 10-0, but the offense crapped the bed week 1 and then again in all 4 of our losses along with 2 weak wins we barely snuck out with against Giants and Bucs.  

So...for me, I want to see how this team now responds to the shake up of getting rid of Dorsey.  It doesn't mean Joe Brady is the answer either, I mean he is an interim OC, not someone they went out and hired to rebuild the offense.  But, if McD to get this team to rally around Brady and turn this thing around and make the playoffs still, then I support McD returning next year either with Brady or someone else at OC if need be.  

But, if its just more of the same the rest of the season even after the change and we miss the playoffs then I think its time for a new coaching staff and let Beane find his guy (McD was hired before Beane).  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, boater said:

This is a question better asked at the end of the season. 

Everybody has an emotional hot head today, that's a piss poor time to be making big decisions.

I've had the same take since 13 seconds.

That was like his 3rd strike to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, boater said:

This is a question better asked at the end of the season. 

Everybody has an emotional hot head today, that's a piss poor time to be making big decisions.

I think this coaching staff (led by McDermott) has served up enough heart wrenching/ unbelievable losses. 

It's obvious that it comes back to 13-seconds. 

A lot of credibility was lost at that moment. 

And you're just seeing a natural climb, peak, plateau and regression. 

• Like (+1) 3

My prediction, even if the Bills lose out, is that the Bills organization that gave McDermott a large extension this past off season will push the narrative that “Even Hall of Fame coaches have bad seasons. The great ender of droughts deserves a rebound season”

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Doesn’t matter what we want. 0% chance he’s getting fired. McDermott is the guy calling the shots in Buffalo. Whatever McDermott wants, he’s going to get. You could tell after McDermott presser last night that changes were going to be made.

If you guys remember when they hired McDermott. They hired him before they hired the GM which was unheard of at the time. McDermott led the GM search. Everything starts with him. Terry has given him the keys. The success the Bills have had in his tenure. He’ll get his opportunity to right the ship. 

• Disagree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Doesn’t matter what we want. 0% chance he’s getting fired. McDermott is the guy calling the shots in Buffalo. Whatever McDermott wants, he’s going to get. You could tell after McDermott presser last night that changes were going to be made.

If you guys remember when they hired McDermott. They hired him before they hired the GM which was unheard of at the time. McDermott led the GM search. Everything starts with him. Terry has given him the keys. The success the Bills have had in his tenure. He’ll get his opportunity to right the ship. 

Zero percent eh?

I'm guessing with a loss to the Jets this week, and a trouncing by the Eagles the following Sunday, he could get fired at the bye week.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.