TB @ Buffalo Game thread - 1st Half

Simon

Not a bad half of football.  Should have 24 instead of 17, but Dorsey can't get out of his own way sometimes.

I will say outside of that train wreck at the goal line with 8" to go, and the draw play on 2nd a super long, Dorsey has called a pretty good game.  But man, when he messed up, he really messes up.  He actively cost us 7 points that half.  Anyway, hopefully the up tempo offense continues in the 2nd half because Tampa hasn't stopped us.....we've only stopped ourselves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

I don’t know what to tell you guys. McD is awful. Calling a TO there is so scared / conservative. Let them rush FG unit on ! My god

Its not scared, its aggressive.  A miss gives you great field position.  Letting them kick it there means they run the clock out before kicking.

Edited by ImpactCorey
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They'd have just run the clock down and walked off. They were never kicking it. 

I like the way McDermott handled that. You don't call timeout while the offense is out there but as soon as they run off call it.

I don't maybe call it sooner then give your offense enough clock to try and get down and get a FG if you want.

1 minute ago, Rew said:

I was yelling for the timeout at 30 seconds, but with Tampa showing they were going for it on 4th you don't really want to stop the clock for them.  End result was disappointing, but understandable.

Exactly. Bucs should have ran 3rd and 15. Took a TO with 3 seconds left and attempted a FG

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, balln said:

I don’t know what to tell you guys. McD is awful. Calling a TO there is so scared / conservative. Let them rush FG unit on ! My god

They had 20 seconds. there's no "rush" there. The fact that he called the TO actually made TB not even attempt the field goal, taking a possible 3 points off the board. Their kicker has already made a 57 yarder in that direction. At least with the timeout, if they do miss the FG, you'll get the ball at midfield with 15 seconds and 2 timeouts. 

This feels like just looking for something to complain about. It was the right decision, and TB didn't get points.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

It forced them to NOT try the FG.  If the clock is running to zero they can kick, if they try it and  miss w time on the clock they give the Bills a good chance to score before the half.

This is the correct answer.  Tampa would have tried the kick if they could end the half with a miss.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Phils n Bills said:

I don’t think Dodson is better by any metric. Dorian looked like he was all over the field flying to the ball. Not sure what he did that was so egregious that he was benched for Dodson. 

He missed several assignments last week that led to big plays for New England. Dodson won't make the big plays, but he can at least limit them for the other team.

5 minutes ago, balln said:

Huh? It was the opposite of conservative. He was playing for a missed FG and we get the ball at midfield with 2 TOs. Gives us a chance at a long FG.

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

So then they're playing not to lose.  That's a good way to accomplish the opposite of what you want.

not kicking 59 yard field goal attempts with almost no time before the half in a one score game is absolutely not playing not to lose

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

From their own 25? With 11 seconds left? 

Yep, they would have 2 quick strikes and a FG for 3 more points. They were masters of the hurry up and time management. But you are right, 11 seconds is just too little time. 

Edited by thronethinker

3 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Because Tampa didn’t run out the FG unit right away…..they ran them on late. You don’t call a timeout unless your 100% sure they’re not going for it.

They didn't kick it because the timeout was called.  They were going to if there wasn't going to be any time left.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Should not have taken that time out.

The correct thing to do is call a timeout with 35 seconds left. It’s dictating the game to TB instead of being a fkn pssy. 

tb goes for it and doesn’t get it you get the ball on the 40

missed fg you get the ball on the 49

they punt you get the ball on your 20 with 30 seconds left and two timeouts 

conservative doesn’t work in this league

when tb runs in the fg unit McDermott realized he screwed up and had to call a to or tb would have run the clock down and tried a last second fg

its like they don’t even have a clock management plan 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mopreme said:

Then call it right away rather than wait. 

Nope doesn't matter if we call it right away. We are playing for a FG, not a TD. 19 seconds and 2 TOs means we get two passing plays to get into FG range. I bet we timed it out like that intentionally. 

6 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Unfortunately, that’s the McDermott way. Makes no sense to me. 

He plays them when they can do their job. Some get it quicker than others. Tre white, edmunds, Rousseau, Benford, Kincaid all started as rookies off the top of my head. I’m sure there’s more. Williams was getting picked on. Their play is what gets them on the field. 

28 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Ball got tipped…..what are you talking about?

It got tipped by the defender he threw the ball directly at. What are you talking about?

He also failed to identify the free rusher there. So two mistakes by Josh on that one play. That's not just bad luck.

Edited by MPT

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.