Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane could do this and fix everything.

Giuseppe Tognarelli

If my name were Terry Pegula, this is what I would do this offseason:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Hire Ben Johnson (you now have arguably the best young offensive mind in the league for Josh Allen's prime and you'll never have to worry about losing your offensive coordinator)

Then, if my name were Brandon Beane, this is what I would do:

Let go (via cut or trade) Von Miller, Tre'Davious White, and Jordan Poyer, taking all the bad cap medicine necessary (yes, I know it's a lot, but stick with me); possibly add Dawson Knox to this list if he's not excited about a backup role

Re-sign A.J. Epenesa and DaQuan Jones; let every other major free agent go, including Gabe Davis and Micah Hyde

Leverage your 10+ picks (probably even more after trades) to maneuver and get the best WR available, then heavily prioritize defensive line and offensive line picks

Fill in the gaps at non-premium positions in free agency.

Offense built around Allen, a dominant line, Cook, Diggs, Kincaid, and the future WR1 you drafted.

Defense built around a dominant line, Milano and Bernard, and a young secondary.

Bills are suddenly a young team but still scoring a lot of points and the future is looking exceptionally bright.

With the old guard gone, you can grow with your young team. You'll probably even make the playoffs in year 1. Allen is going to be reinvigorated.

Who knows, it might even go as well as it did for the Chiefs last year when they went with a youth movement.

I'm willing to bet my plan is better than what they will get by keeping McDermott.

Reminder: Sean McDermott traded Patrick Mahomes to the Chiefs before Brandon Beane got here.

Other reminders:

Every coach/QB combo in NFL history that has won a Super Bowl has done so within their first 5 years together. McDermott and Allen are in year 6 and things seem to be falling apart. It seems that things have grown stale and a change is needed.

No player has ever won the Super Bowl with three different teams (Von Miller), unless you count Matt Millen who was inactive for his win with the Redskins.

• Like (+1) 18
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Hire Ben Johnson (you now have arguably the best young offensive mind in the league for Josh Allen's prime and you'll never have to worry about losing your offensive coordinator)

Let go (via cut or trade) Von Miller, Tre'Davious White, and Jordan Poyer, taking all the bad cap medicine necessary (yes, I know it's a lot, but stick with me); possibly add Dawson Knox to this list if he's not excited about a backup role

Re-sign A.J. Epenesa and DaQuan Jones; let every other major free agent go, including Gabe Davis and Micah Hyde

Leverage your 10+ picks (probably even more after trades) to maneuver and get the best WR available, then heavily prioritize defensive line and offensive line picks

Offense built around Allen, a dominant line, Cook, Diggs, Kincaid, and the future WR1 you drafted.

Defense built around a dominant line, Milano and Bernard, and a young secondary.

Bills are suddenly a young team but still scoring a lot of points and the future is looking exceptionally bright.

With the old guard gone, you can grow with your young team. You'll probably even make the playoffs in year 1. Allen is going to be reinvigorated.

Who knows, it might even go as well as it did for the Chiefs last year when they went with a youth movement.

I'm willing to bet my plan is better than what they will get by keeping McDermott.

Reminder: Sean McDermott traded Patrick Mahomes to the Chiefs before Brandon Beane got here.

Other reminders:

Every coach/QB combo in NFL history that has won a Super Bowl has done so within their first 5 years together. McDermott and Allen are in year 6 and things seem to be falling apart. It seems that things have grown stale and a change is needed.

No player has ever won the Super Bowl with three different teams (Von Miller), unless you count Matt Millen who was inactive for his win with the Redskins.

I like the youth movement but Sean isn’t shown the door unless we lose more than we win;  even then, he prolly gets the injury pass. The OC might be the scape goat. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Id get rid of Beane, whos draft record is suspect, and panics by trading up every year.

And hire Jim Schwartz as HC and Brian Fleury as OC to bring in the 49s system.

McDermott was what we needed to get right from the draught, but he cant seem to get over the top. Hes like Tony Dungy except Tony didn't have a good QB until Peyton but still only won one.

I still really like McDermott and am not totally down on him but it seems he has not been able to improve daily like he said he would.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Id get rid of Beane, whos draft record is suspect, and panics by trading up every year.

McDermott was what we needed to get right from the draught, but he cant seem to get over the top. Hes like Tony Dungy except Tony didn't have a good QB until Peyton but still only won one.

I still really like McDermott and am not totally down on him but it seems he has not been able to improve daily like he said he would.

You want another defensive HC?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

I like the youth movement but Sean isn’t shown the door unless we lose more than we win;  even then, he prolly gets the injury pass. The OC might be the scape goat. 

Yea it really looks like McDermott and beane run all Buffalo bills things. I don’t think terry has it in him to fire Sean. Unless we stink up the place a few years. And he has no choice. Now if Kim was still in the mix maybe so. 

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

You could say the same about the defense.

its the system that matters.

But defensive performance is less consistent YoY anyways. And promising DCs are much less likely to be hired as HCs these days. If you have a good one, promote him to assistant head coach so ONLY an HC opening is a vertical move. Pay him well, invest in his assistants, and let him build a culture on that side of the ball. Just stay consistent with 4-3 vs 3-4 when a change is inevitably made. 

QB and OC are just so much more important than everything else. 

36 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

Yeah cut Von Miller and take his 32m dead cap.  Do people not remember how productive he was before his injury last year?

Everyone apparently expects Von to be back at HOF level already.  If the mob made the roster calls, guys like Oliver, Espenesa and Bernard would have been sent packing already.  Good thing some on this board aren’t the GM.   

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

Only issue i have here is brandon beane had been pretty off on evaluating defensive line talent thus far.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

Top part sounds reasonable, part in bold likely is a 2 to 3 year plan.  Yes KC did it, but without changing coaches.  As soon as you do that likely changing schemes and more of a rebuild.

You also don't know for certain if Allen is going to be reinvigorated or PO'd that they got rid of the guy he wanted as OC.  Admittedly it would be interesting to know what Allen really really thinks of Dorsey at this point??

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

You want another defensive HC?

I want Schwartz as DC. I think they had a bit of a hangover from the SF game but Cleveland’s defense is legit. I am not sold on him as a HC and since he would have the defense covers then I personally in that scenario prefer an offensive minded HC. 

1 minute ago, iinii said:

I want Schwartz as DC. I think they had a bit of a hangover from the SF game but Cleveland’s defense is legit. I am not sold on him as a HC and since he would have the defense covers then I personally in that scenario prefer an offensive minded HC. 

He wouldn’t leave cleveland to be the Bills DC. 

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

Not going to be long winded here OP but this exact plan gives the Bills and Josh Allen the best opportunity to win a SB.  I want an offensive HC who can scheme 17 into good situations. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

No more defensive minded head coaches please

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 97bills said:

Yea it really looks like McDermott and beane run all Buffalo bills things. I don’t think terry has it in him to fire Sean. Unless we stink up the place a few years. And he has no choice. Now if Kim was still in the mix maybe so. 

When we get embarrassed on the remainder of our nationally televised games, losing these Prime Time games we will get everyone talking and will start the end for McD and Dorsey.   I truly do not see us winning any of these games unless something major happens at the trade deadline.

Thursday Night Football: Week 8 vs. Buccaneers.

Sunday Night Football: Week 9 vs. Bengals.

Monday Night Football: Week 10 vs. Broncos.

Saturday Night Football: Week 16 vs. Chargers.

Not to mention Dallas and Philly & Miami.

• Disagree 2

Can’t imagine how this board would react to Ben Johnson’s last game lol. They have one of the best offensive lines in football, we very much do not. Those guys up front didn’t show up Sunday and the lions got destroyed.   We’d be currently calling for Ben to get fired if he was here 😂

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

Johnson would be my #1 and #2.  Really the only guy I'd swap clappy out for.   He's not creative enough.   That will be needed against the Chiefs and Eagles.

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

When we get embarrassed on the remainder of our nationally televised games, losing these Prime Time games we will get everyone talking and will start the end for McD and Dorsey.   I truly do not see us winning any of these games unless something major happens at the trade deadline.

Thursday Night Football: Week 8 vs. Buccaneers.

Sunday Night Football: Week 9 vs. Bengals.

Monday Night Football: Week 10 vs. Broncos.

Saturday Night Football: Week 16 vs. Chargers.

Not to mention Dallas and Philly & Miami.

Even with our current struggles all 4 of the games you highlighted are winnable and every one of them have looked bad against bad/mediocre opponents at times much like we have 

There is no world in which I'd fire McDermott and keep Beane and I think there is like less than a 5% chance that happens in reality too. They are joined at the hip in their own minds and based on the fact that he always coordinates their contracts likely in Terry's too.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

If I were Pegula or Beane, I'd wait for the season to end before deciding ehat to do in the off-season...

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

I love this post so much that I’m requesting TBD pin it at the top until it happens. Speak it into existence folks. All of this that was said times a zillion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

I liked your other solution better, which was the Bills plane crashing on the way to London.  Would be a lot easier on the cap hit.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

People need to let this go.  Mahomes was no sure thing when drafted, in fact he was a polarizing pick ranging from mid first to 2nd round in most draft rankings.  The worry on him was that his mechanics were unconventional and would need to be rebuilt to succeed in the NFL.  Trubisky was the consensus top QB in the draft, followed by Watson.  

And if the Bills had drafted Mahomes, we still would not have won a Super Bowl.  This roster was terrible that he would have joined, and he wouldn't have had the same better OL, better weapons, and better offensive system that he has in KC.

The trade worked out pretty great for Bills still too landing an All Pro CB and an Elite QB still the next year.  

I mean you might as well drag every GM in the NFL through the mud the year Brady was drafted, including the Pats, for letting him fall to the 6th round.  Hindsight is a waste of time given no one can see the future.  

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.