Terry Pegula and Brandon Beane could do this and fix everything.

Giuseppe Tognarelli

7 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

If my name were Terry Pegula, this is what I would do this offseason:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Hire Ben Johnson (you now have arguably the best young offensive mind in the league for Josh Allen's prime and you'll never have to worry about losing your offensive coordinator)

Then, if my name were Brandon Beane, this is what I would do:

Let go (via cut or trade) Von Miller, Tre'Davious White, and Jordan Poyer, taking all the bad cap medicine necessary (yes, I know it's a lot, but stick with me); possibly add Dawson Knox to this list if he's not excited about a backup role

Re-sign A.J. Epenesa and DaQuan Jones; let every other major free agent go, including Gabe Davis and Micah Hyde

Leverage your 10+ picks (probably even more after trades) to maneuver and get the best WR available, then heavily prioritize defensive line and offensive line picks

Fill in the gaps at non-premium positions in free agency.

Offense built around Allen, a dominant line, Cook, Diggs, Kincaid, and the future WR1 you drafted.

Defense built around a dominant line, Milano and Bernard, and a young secondary.

Bills are suddenly a young team but still scoring a lot of points and the future is looking exceptionally bright.

With the old guard gone, you can grow with your young team. You'll probably even make the playoffs in year 1. Allen is going to be reinvigorated.

Who knows, it might even go as well as it did for the Chiefs last year when they went with a youth movement.

I'm willing to bet my plan is better than what they will get by keeping McDermott.

Reminder: Sean McDermott traded Patrick Mahomes to the Chiefs before Brandon Beane got here.

Other reminders:

Every coach/QB combo in NFL history that has won a Super Bowl has done so within their first 5 years together. McDermott and Allen are in year 6 and things seem to be falling apart. It seems that things have grown stale and a change is needed.

No player has ever won the Super Bowl with three different teams (Von Miller), unless you count Matt Millen who was inactive for his win with the Redskins.

Johnson is on the short list for a HC stint already. One season with Buffalo and a playoff berth? He’d be gone before he learned his way around OBD. 

After 50 years of this crap I am having a hard time giving a ****

I just don't care anymore.

One thing I have learned in all my years is that life is better when I don't think about the Bills.

Edited by stosh64
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Hire Ben Johnson (you now have arguably the best young offensive mind in the league for Josh Allen's prime and you'll never have to worry about losing your offensive coordinator)

Let go (via cut or trade) Von Miller, Tre'Davious White, and Jordan Poyer, taking all the bad cap medicine necessary (yes, I know it's a lot, but stick with me); possibly add Dawson Knox to this list if he's not excited about a backup role

Re-sign A.J. Epenesa and DaQuan Jones; let every other major free agent go, including Gabe Davis and Micah Hyde

Leverage your 10+ picks (probably even more after trades) to maneuver and get the best WR available, then heavily prioritize defensive line and offensive line picks

Offense built around Allen, a dominant line, Cook, Diggs, Kincaid, and the future WR1 you drafted.

Defense built around a dominant line, Milano and Bernard, and a young secondary.

Bills are suddenly a young team but still scoring a lot of points and the future is looking exceptionally bright.

With the old guard gone, you can grow with your young team. You'll probably even make the playoffs in year 1. Allen is going to be reinvigorated.

Who knows, it might even go as well as it did for the Chiefs last year when they went with a youth movement.

I'm willing to bet my plan is better than what they will get by keeping McDermott.

Reminder: Sean McDermott traded Patrick Mahomes to the Chiefs before Brandon Beane got here.

Other reminders:

Every coach/QB combo in NFL history that has won a Super Bowl has done so within their first 5 years together. McDermott and Allen are in year 6 and things seem to be falling apart. It seems that things have grown stale and a change is needed.

No player has ever won the Super Bowl with three different teams (Von Miller), unless you count Matt Millen who was inactive for his win with the Redskins.

Let's hope Beanne makes a couple of moves to get another WR and maybe another corner or DT,  if not this season will not end well and this team has too many older guys making big money.  Time to retool and that starts with getting rid of McDermott .  For the McDermott fanboys who keep saying no because we owe him everything for turning things around.  I think they gave him plenty of opportunities and he has failed over and over.  You can't waste a window with a top 3-4 QB because you have a HC who still thinks defence wins championships.  I think we blew drafting some better and more talented players because they did not fit intro McDermott's character liking. 

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Only issue i have here is brandon beane had been pretty off on evaluating defrnsive line talent thus far.

I think some of Beane's choices in the draft have McDermott's finger prints all over them,  remember it McDermott who declined on Mahomes so he could draft a DB.    The Elam pick makes no sense,  he was known for being great in press man to man coverage and everyone knows McDermott plays soft zones. Not sure who scouted Boogie Basham because he is not a NFL player and we spent a second rounder on him. They could have drafted either Metcalf of Brown with a second rounder used to pick Cody Ford.  Those 3 blunders alone are the difference between being a good team an elite team. Also can anyone please explain in what world does Dawson Know deserve 14-15 million a season starting in 2024? That contract is going to kill the Bills cap situation next year,  for an average TE at best. These decisions have not been very good and then you look at his ability to draft depth.  Does Beane even know what a LB looks like?

• Like (+1) 1

So fire a highly successful Head Coach and hire one that hasn't been a HC before.  Say what you will about McDerm but he has definitely raised the standard.  Oh and this Josh Allen is the reason for all the success talk, we broke that 17 year playoff drought before Allen was here with a journeyman QB

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

This post is absolutely laughable… we have no idea how Ben Johnson would be as HC.  At one time Adam Gase was considered “the best young offensive mind.”  

21 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think some of Beane's choices in the draft have McDermott's finger prints all over them,  remember it McDermott who declined on Mahomes so he could draft a DB.    The Elam pick makes no sense,  he was known for being great in press man to man coverage and everyone knows McDermott plays soft zones. Not sure who scouted Boogie Basham because he is not a NFL player and we spent a second rounder on him. They could have drafted either Metcalf of Brown with a second rounder used to pick Cody Ford.  Those 3 blunders alone are the difference between being a good team an elite team. Also can anyone please explain in what world does Dawson Know deserve 14-15 million a season starting in 2024? That contract is going to kill the Bills cap situation next year,  for an average TE at best. These decisions have not been very good and then you look at his ability to draft depth.  Does Beane even know what a LB looks like?

Every good draft pick = Beane

Every bad draft pick = Beane (with McDermott’s footprints)

😂

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This post is absolutely laughable… we have no idea how Ben Johnson would be as HC.  At one time Adam Gase was considered “the best young offensive mind.”  

Every good draft pick = Beane

Every bad draft pick = Beane (with McDermott’s footprints)

😂

Ultimately there Beane's choices,  the Elam & Basham picks are two of the worse and the Knox extension at 14-15 mllion is just stupid. If this season goes bad then I would like to see Pegula fire either one,  I would prefer McDermott be let go and hire an offensive guy. You win in this league scoring and Sean is living in the Stone Age thinking caveman football can win you a title. I still have not got over the worse coaching display in NFL playoff history (13secs).  

5 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Ultimately there Beane's choices,  the Elam & Basham picks are two of the worse and the Knox extension at 14-15 mllion is just stupid. If this season goes bad then I would like to see Pegula fire either one,  I would prefer McDermott be let go and hire an offensive guy. You win in this league scoring and Sean is living in the Stone Age thinking caveman football can win you a title. I still have not got over the worse coaching display in NFL playoff history (13secs).  

All GM’s miss on draft picks.  Especially in the late 1st/2nd round.  It sucks but it happens to every team. 

If you’re hoping for Beane or McDermott to be fired…you will be disappointed in 2024 when both when both return.  

so....fire the coaches, and hire all the best people and trade/otherwise acquire the best WRs, O-line and D-line players....etc.

that sounds amazing!!----but what if other owners and GMs read this thread....and jump the Bills with this very unique plan??

• Haha (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

What are we keeping Beane for ? 

If we thought the 17 year drought for the Bills was bad, just wait to see what Pegula can do with the Bills. 

The Sabres own the longest playoff drought in NHL history at 12 years. A league where over half of the league used to make the playoffs every year. The next longest drought is nearly half of that, 7 years. They’ve been the worst owners in NHL history. Their run with the Sabres is among the worst in all of sports.

Asking Terry to clean house entirely could kickstart a 25 to 30 year drought for the Bills.

That’s a little bit of hyperbole, but not the exaggeration I wish it was. 

28 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so....fire the coaches, and hire all the best people and trade/otherwise acquire the best WRs, O-line and D-line players....etc.

that sounds amazing!!----but what if other owners and GMs read this thread....and jump the Bills with this very unique plan??

So here is the plan.

Get rid of the bad ones. Then get the good ones.

Draft good players and improve the weaknesses.

And voila! 

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billzgobowlin said:

So fire a highly successful Head Coach and hire one that hasn't been a HC before.  Say what you will about McDerm but he has definitely raised the standard.  Oh and this Josh Allen is the reason for all the success talk, we broke that 17 year playoff drought before Allen was here with a journeyman QB

McDermott did a great job in turning the culture around with this organization. He has been a highly successful regular season coach. Nobody would argue that. Sometimes players tune the coach after a while. I am not saying that is happening with the Bills because how would I know. I wouldn't. The problem here the Bills have been declining since 13 seconds. With that being said I think McDermott is back in 2024 but if things go south next year, then I could see a coaching change at that point.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This board after a loss goes full special needs

The whole thing gives me a chuckle…people post some valid criticisms for sure but also a bunch of overly negative doomer predictions get posted that always turn out to be false and those posters claim to be vindicated when we don’t win the Super Bowl despite being wrong about just about everything else 😂

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

Some of your moves sound great! I'm not sure that I would fire McDermott. I might, but I definitey would strip away his power wrt the draft. He cannot resist defensive players and even needlessly trades away picks to get them. After doing so I would give him one season to see a clear improvement. If that didn't work then I would show him the door.

Jmo

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

😂

So every time a team takes a calculated risk on a first-time head coach, it's absolutely laughable?

It's more "absolutely laughable" to stick with a guy who is wasting the prime of the best QB you've ever had, especially when you're banking on him becoming the first coach in NFL history to win his first Super Bowl after 5 years with the same quarterback.

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

All GM’s miss on draft picks.  Especially in the late 1st/2nd round.  It sucks but it happens to every team. 

If you’re hoping for Beane or McDermott to be fired…you will be disappointed in 2024 when both when both return.  

Seems like when we’re being pessimistic we compare our players/coaches/gm to a hypothetical perfect team but even the great teams miss pretty often.

if epenesa has truly turned it around beane has drafted as well as any other competitor drafting in the late rounds.  Kincaid and Torrence look good(Torrence had a bad game last game but I wouldn’t panic yet), Dorian Williams looks like he’s got a nose for the football he just has to work on his tackling

Elam was a bust but cook and Bernard look good.  Shakir the jury is still out on could go either way but he’s a 5th anyway.  Benford isn’t great but he was a steal in the 6th. 

Rousseau good, basham bust, brown make or break year this year but looking rough

Epenesa looking good?, Zach moss we could not block for at all and he’s now playing well in Indy…I’ll give an incomplete on that one, gabe Davis outperformed his draft position for awhile but I don’t think he’s good enough, Tyler bass good up until the last few games unexpectedly,  Dane Jackson great for a late 7th. 

ed oliver pretty good, Cody ford bust, singletary and Knox we got some use out of as third round picks and probably should’ve let them both go after their rookie deals 

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

This season will take care of itself.  

We won 8 or 9 games in our drought era with QBs Rob Johnson, Bledsoe, Orton, and Taylor.  

If McD can't do at least two games better with Allen, then he's not going to have much support going forward whether Pegula fires him or not.  One would reasonably conclude that at some point lockerroom issues will spring up as well.  "Culture" absent achieving to talent levels can only carry a team so far.  We've see how far that is.  

There already appear to be cracks in the organizational armor if we read between the lines, with people in the organization (Dorsey) already seemingly furtively sideling over to the life-preserver closet hoping to go unnoticed.  Could be overreaction by whomever posed that, but it's hardly beyond the realm of reason barring a pretty monumental turnaround.  

McD has always been an average DC.  That's what he's doing here now, producing an average, if that, D.  With the injuries he'll be fortunate if he can keep it ranked better than 20th.  

His selection of Dorsey is just that, his selection.  While Dorsey may not be terrible, he's also hardly top-end in terms of creativity and imagination for an offense.  Did anyone expect that Dorsey would hire someone that if successful, would be a candidate to replace him should his D not respond.  (rhetorical)  

Meanwhile, what could also be contributing to the problem is that McD has now successfully transplanted his former Carolina coaching staff, along with Dorsey, into our organization.  After all, if we can only achieve what Carolina did, ... :rolleyes:

In short, this isn't the type of coaching staff that wins championship.  That's finally going to become clear.  What Pegula does about it remains to be seen.  

And if there's a depth issue, then point the finger at Beane, where it belongs.  

I think the 2 biggest issues related to this plan are (which I would love much of it):

1. The narrative will end up being,and there's nothing that can be done about it, about the injuries on the defensive side of the ball.

2. To which McBeane will gladly play up and get rid of Dorsey at seasons end as the scape goat.

IMO McDermott has his hands all over this offense right now, and from listening to Dorsey I know I'm right. I mean does anybody else think we miss those 2-3 First Downs Josh used to scramble for each game like Mahomes does? Instead of telling him not to run they should have continued working on him sliding and getting out of bounds. People wonder why he looks miserable, it's because he's being asked to not be himself.

And, furthermore IMO McD is way to quick to bash the offense after games and lessen the accountability of his defense. That is all.

12 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

If they could pull this off, it certainly wouldn’t hurt and likely help with the team’s current malaise. 

5 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Johnson is on the short list for a HC stint already. One season with Buffalo and a playoff berth? He’d be gone before he learned his way around OBD. 

Johnson would be theBills HC in the op’s scenario, 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

Why do you put all the blame on McD and none on Beane?

Part of your plan to fix the team is to build a dominant offensive line.  Beane's been here a while and hasn't done that.  You would think it'd be a matter of urgency since we have a great QB.  But even great QBs need time to throw.  Receivers need time to get open.  And a passing game works best when there's a complimentary running game which requires an OL to open holes.  Finally, a good OL keeps your quarter-billion-dollar quarterback healthy.   Beane's failure to effectively prioritize the OL is concerning.  

But that's not his only failure.  Draft picks have been wasted.  The splashy $100 million on Von has mostly been wasted thus far (we could have used that money on an OL).   The talent in the secondary is fading as the stars get older and more injury prone...  

I'm not sure why people demand McD to give us a SB performance when Beane hasn't given him a SB roster.  

Your plan, by the way, is a fan's plan, not a realistic one.  For example, every GM wants to build a dominant OL and DL and then the uncertainties of the draft and the limitations of the cap slap them in the face.  Building an SB championship team is easier said than done.  

Nothing as dramatic as some of us want is going to be done.  Massive upheaval is not in the cards for a team that has this kind of roster. 

An nfl friend of mine has pretty good knowledge that the Bills are working to get a receiver before the trade deadline.  Price likely to be a fourth or fifth rounder.  He would not tell me the teams involved but the players are known entities still on rookie deals. I'm guessing Denver, Washington, or Vegas.  I think all three of these teams are on the verge of having a fire sale to go into a rebuild. This does make some sense, if they have concluded that Davis is not going to be kept and neither Sherfield nor Hardy are working out.  The only names that make some sense for me are Jeudy, Dotson, or Renfrow.  If it doesn't happen, I believe it will be because the asking price got too high with other teams in the mix.

I also expect them to bring in another bigger DT to rotate with Phillips.  When Phillips was out of the game, the other guys were getting blown off the ball.  Ford and Settle can't consistently get penetration or hold their position and keep the linebackers clean.  This is a big problem.  This could be another trade or a raid on a practice squad.

• Vomit 1

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

BAH BAH BAH.... DONNNNT forget Cody Ford.... 

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is no world in which I'd fire McDermott and keep Beane and I think there is like less than a 5% chance that happens in reality too. They are joined at the hip in their own minds and based on the fact that he always coordinates their contracts likely in Terry's too.

Gunner's 100% on this. One goes, they both go.

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Gunner's 100% on this. One goes, they both go.

Not really. Terry owns the team, so he has final say. If he wants to clean house and fire both of them then he will. If he decides to fire one but keep the other, then he will do that as well. There is no law or rule that says they both have to be fired at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Not really. Terry owns the team, so he has final say. If he wants to clean house and fire both of them then he will. If he decides to fire one but keep the other, then he will do that as well. There is no law or rule that says they both have to be fired at the same time.

No but the reality is Terry sees them as joined at the hip too. Nobody you speak to who has any knowledge of the inner workings of the team can see a way it is one without the other. Of course it is technically possible. But it doesn't really reflect the reality. I'd be stunned personally. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

What are we keeping Beane for ? 

I think they are joined at the hip, anyway-- they both stay, or both go. Unless the wheels come off completely (may not be far from happening), I think they both stay, unfortunately.

Yes, hire Ben Johnson! I always screamed about the Bills should have hired Josh McDaniel when they had the chance and I obviously was correct with that analysis.

Don’t screw the pooch twice!

Edited by Beast

I would laugh so hard if Bills stupidly fired McDermott then hired another defensive minded HC.

Dump Dorsey, pay a top flight OC whatever they want. 

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

Yes, hire Ben Johnson! I always screamed about the Bills should have hired Josh McDaniel when they had the chance and I obviously was correct with that analysis.

Don’t screw the pooch twice!

It’s been 410+ days since Miami beat a team with a winning record. 

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This board after a loss goes full special needs

I'm sorry man, but this is a very bad take.  The Bills have lost two of three and should have lost three of three, all against grossly inferior opposition.  And we played like dog**** in all three games.  We are probably missing the playoffs in one of Josh Allen's prime seasons.  FOH with this head-in-the-sand stuff.

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I would laugh so hard if Bills stupidly fired McDermott then hired another defensive minded HC.

Dump Dorsey, pay a top flight OC whatever they want. 

It’s been 410+ days since Miami beat a team with a winning record. 

I forgot the S on McDaniel. 

20 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Fire Sean McDermott

Keep Brandon Beane

Other reminders:

I think your plan is sound but they're not going to fire McD, he just signed an extension and we're stuck for many more years of him and the decline of the O.  Fire Dorsey, that could possibly happen.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.