Never thought I’d say this. Sean McDermott is a stupid coach.

Beast

38 minutes ago, Beast said:

All day long the Bills blitzed, blitzed, blitzed. All day long, with I believe the exception of one time, the Bills got nowhere near the QB and Jones had a career day.

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay.  Not even mixing up the blitzes. Continually trying to come through the left tackle/guard spot.

Just like the last drive last week.

And, speaking of last week. Same scenario this week. The Giants attacked Johnson with a tight end and a decent throw beats the Bills. This week? Same thing. The Patriots attacked Johnson and won.

Sean McDermott cost the Buffalo Bills a win today by sheer stupidity.

Not stating the obvious to anyone here…our coaching staff is severely letting this team down.

Well.. That late, completely telegraphed blitz on third and long with the Pats still out of FG range did not help much... That's for sure. 

I was screaming at the TV... NO!!! NO!!! And the Pats picked that blitz up easily... 

40 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Blitzed way too much. Was a bad performance by McDermott. 

One of the Bills critical problem areas on both sides of the ball is predictability.  By its very nature this problem gets worse with time.  All of the evidence is that McDermott either does not know this is a problem, or he can't fix it. 

I'm on board with a replacement.  He and Beane had done fantastic job of turning this organization around, however, they hit their ceiling a couple years ago.  We truly need an offensive head coach, we have Josh ***** Allen, how bad does the coaches have to be to not win with Josh Allen and Steff Diggs?  Yeah they blow!

49 minutes ago, Beast said:

All day long the Bills blitzed, blitzed, blitzed. All day long, with I believe the exception of one time, the Bills got nowhere near the QB and Jones had a career day.

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay.  Not even mixing up the blitzes. Continually trying to come through the left tackle/guard spot.

And, speaking of last week. Same scenario this week. The Giants attacked Johnson with a tight end and a decent throw beats the Bills. This week? Same thing. The Patriots attacked Johnson and won.

Not stating the obvious to anyone here…our coaching staff is severely letting this team down.

Not saying you're not right with your assesment, but is it necessary to call McD "stupid"?

I was iffy after 13 secs.  I definitely blamed him.  Last year I gave a pass but didnt buy the "mentally exhausted" excuse for the team collapse. I am on board with dumping this entire staff now.  They aint it.  The defense sucks and has way too much cap tied to it for them to be this bad.  They coached the special out of Josh trying to turn him into a QB that he isn't.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There are a lot of execution issues, which fall on the shoulders of the players, but there are also plenty of coaching issues as well.

How does the announcer see the poor slant leverage by Taron Johnson the previous play, but our coaches don’t?

Belichick and Co saw it, and immediately took advantage of it.

I will always credit McDermott for turning this franchise around. But there are so many deficiencies that show up on coaching.

Bottom line is that McDermott has taken us as far as he can. He's just not a top flight coach. 

Great guy, and he will get credit for what he has done to turn the franchise around. But he is going to ruin that if Josh never gets a ring.

Save him and this team by bringing in the staff that can close the deal

17 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

This thread at least makes me feel better.  Everyone seems to be coming around to firing him. Those of us that have been saying that McDermott should be replaced for a few years now sure do feel vindicated. 

We can feel vindicated but it doesn’t mean anything is changing. I’ve come to expect no changes. They aren’t firing him this year and I don’t know if they would after next year going into a new stadium. Who knows. 

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. Blitzed way too much. Was a bad performance by McDermott. 

I think that may have been because the DTs are so poor and couldn’t generate any consistent interior pressure on their own. Jones crumbles when faced with good interior pressure, but at this moment the Bills don’t have any DTs capable of bringing it. Gotta blitz instead because you can’t let him just sit there. It’s not a great option, but the Bills are so talent deficient on D right now that they have to take risks.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think that may have been because the DTs are so poor and couldn’t generate any consistent interior pressure on their own. Jones crumbles when faced with good interior pressure, but at this moment the Bills don’t have any DTs capable of bringing it. Gotta blitz instead because you can’t let him just sit there. It’s not a great option, but the Bills are so talent deficient on D right now that they have to take risks.

We are getting nothing from our defense of tackles. Tim settle is not a one tech and should never be used as such

In todays nfl, the game is designed for defenses to fail at the end.  Yet the Bills keep investing in more defensive players, like all the DEs that were invisible today.  Those investments are translating into a greatD that seals the win or is lock down at the end of a game.  Over MCds whole tenure we have a top ranked D that rarely seems to win us a game.  It’s always Allen that scores late to win it (or doesn’t and we lose).

good grief invest in the offense.  We have always had journeymen OL come and go.  We get scrub WRs outside of Diggs.  We were at our best when it was Diggs, Smoke, and  Beasley.  No *****!  That’s 3 really good receivers.  Coincidentally the RT we had at that time made the pro bowl.  Wow! Better offensive players will result in a better offense in a league that only cares about offense!!!!

thw Floyd signing has been pretty great but I still believe that money spent on a great WR2 would have resulted in maybe us being undefeated right now.

This L was on McD.

secondly, this L is on Allen for missing throws he needs to make.

thirdly, this L is on Dorsey and the OL based on a terrible 1st half performance.

Get Cook and Kincaid more involved and good things will come.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yea I understand that argument. Still not sure I totally buy it. 

That said, Brandon Beane deserves to face some tough questions because those three vet DTs that sucked so bad today - Phillips, Settle and Ford - are guys he has invested a reasonable amount in. In no other position do we have such highly paid depth.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Despite everything, Josh had a stat line we would have killed for in the 2000’s. 

Awful game and guy still goes: 27/41 265, 2 passing TDs and one on the ground. And 1 stupid pick. 

Watching the skills of a not-getting-any-younger generational talent get wasted is sad. It’s truly sad. 

Refs? Meh. They suck for everyone. 
Injuries? You’ve got to be ***** kidding me. Every team has these. 

This fall from grace (aka the window SLAMMING shut) falls on the coaches. Whether that’s practice being a joke, or just awful play calling, or having the wrong guys in the right spot,  we have successfully wasted some of the best years of a literal first ballot HOFer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Other teams have injuries and don't just shart all over their fans like ours does.

Cinci had no on st ol and rolled us last year.  The giants and the pats were missing linemen, and we shoulda lost both games.

I think mcd is a princess coach who needs every little precious thing going just his way (14 des suit up, hundred years old dbs get extensions, etc) for his precious system, but as soon as anything goes slightly sideways, it's a wrap.

Not being adaptable and not being prepared are signs of a coach I don't want leading y team and pissing away Allen's prime 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, beebe said:

For the last three years, you people complain because the Bills don't blitz enough.

Now they blitz TOO much. 

True. Everyone was ready to dump Frazier for his mulish obsession with playing only cover 2 and not being aggressive. Now? “We should have just played cover 2 and made Mac Jones earn it”

I think fan expectations are often too lofty when it comes wins/losses. I understand that NFL teams lose games, often times to inferior opponents, but it’s how we lose that concerned me throughout the McD years. This team wins 38-0 one week, and gets annihilated at home 41-10 the next, or loses to the Jags 9-6. These aren’t the type of losses that Super Bowl teams suffer year after year.  Our losses have been a series of embarrassments, flukes, coaching errors, player blunders, and freak performances from opponents. People reminisce about 2020, and 2021, but we also lost to the Colts at home 41-15, and lost to the Pats throwing three passes (or whatever it was). Something just seems off, and it doesn’t look like the stuff of champions. 

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

When a team comes out repeatedly flat especially against bad teams I blame the staff. 

I thought the offense would start off fast today because of 2 previous bad games.  I was wrong.  Not sure who to blame exactly but usually a coach gets canned because it's the easier option.  I'm not proposing anything right now but it's not looking good. 

Quite frankly, they don't have one good reason to look this bad.  No one on offense is hurt.  Not one guy.  Defense is a different story.  Their best CB, their best LB, and their best run stopping DT all out but they should not have lost to Pats today.  Pats have a bunch of guys hurt too.  A terrible loss today.  Gotta to hand it to McD - he loses games in mind numbing fawkin ways.

46 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This L was on McD.

secondly, this L is on Allen for missing throws he needs to make.

thirdly, this L is on Dorsey and the OL based on a terrible 1st half performance.

Get Cook and Kincaid more involved and good things will come.  

It was a total team loss.   Drops, missed kicks, missed throws, missed tackles ... two weeks in a row I have come to the conclusion that our Bills are not a great football team.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

There are a lot of execution issues, which fall on the shoulders of the players, but there are also plenty of coaching issues as well.

How does the announcer see the poor slant leverage by Taron Johnson the previous play, but our coaches don’t?

Belichick and Co saw it, and immediately took advantage of it.

I will always credit McDermott for turning this franchise around. But there are so many deficiencies that show up on coaching.

"There are a lot of execution issues,..." Then simplify the execution, or change the personnel to those whoo can execute.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Sean McDermott knows Benford and Jackson can’t hold up in coverage as they aren’t Sauce Gardener and not allowed to mug. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.