Never thought I’d say this. Sean McDermott is a stupid coach.

Beast

All day long the Bills blitzed, blitzed, blitzed. All day long, with I believe the exception of one time, the Bills got nowhere near the QB and Jones had a career day.

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay.  Not even mixing up the blitzes. Continually trying to come through the left tackle/guard spot.

Just like the last drive last week.

And, speaking of last week. Same scenario this week. The Giants attacked Johnson with a tight end and a decent throw beats the Bills. This week? Same thing. The Patriots attacked Johnson and won.

Sean McDermott cost the Buffalo Bills a win today by sheer stupidity.

Not stating the obvious to anyone here…our coaching staff is severely letting this team down.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 22
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Just now, Beast said:

All day long the Bills blitzed, blitzed, blitzed. All day long, with I believe the exception of one time, the Bills got nowhere near the QB and Jones had a career day.

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay. 

And, speaking of last week. Same scenario this week. The Giants attacked Johnson with a tight end and a decent throw beats the Bills. This week? Same thing. The Patriots attacked Johnson and won.

Not stating the obvious to anyone here…our coaching staff is severely letting this team down.

our coaching staff is awful.  fire McD and Dorsey. See if Babich or Schula have anything for O and D. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

There are a lot of execution issues, which fall on the shoulders of the players, but there are also plenty of coaching issues as well.

How does the announcer see the poor slant leverage by Taron Johnson the previous play, but our coaches don’t?

Belichick and Co saw it, and immediately took advantage of it.

I will always credit McDermott for turning this franchise around. But there are so many deficiencies that show up on coaching.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

McDermott kept it up and Mac ***** Jones of all QB’s made him pay.  Not even mixing up the blitzes. Continually trying to come through the left tackle/guard spot.

Agree. Blitzed way too much. Was a bad performance by McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, BillsUberAlles said:

Coaches look great when what they do works, not great when it doesn't. If you knew the chess that went into why they do certain things versus another you're eyes would glass over within 5 seconds of the explanation because you wouldn't understand WTF he was talking about.

So in your eyes coaches just can't be judged at all because it's the right call if it works and the wrong call if it doesn't?

3 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

You never thought you'd say it? He's been doing stupid things for years.

This. The blind apologists are finally starting to relent a little bit. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I saw a tweet today that really resonated with how I feel about McDermott.

It said:

McDermott is the type of coach that can take a bottom 5 roster to a wildcard but he’s also the kind of coach who will take a top 5 roster to the wildcard.

It's a funny quote but this is FAR from a Top 5 roster.

7 minutes ago, Beast said:

Sean McDermott cost this team a Super Bowl, and will continue to as long as he’s employed here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

There are a lot of execution issues, which fall on the shoulders of the players, but there are also plenty of coaching issues as well.

How does the announcer see the poor slant leverage by Taron Johnson the previous play, but our coaches don’t?

Belichick and Co saw it, and immediately took advantage of it.

I will always credit McDermott for turning this franchise around. But there are so many deficiencies that show up on coaching.

Allen turned it around. Not McDermott 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 7

He's very passive, and it rubs off on the players. Bass hadn't missed a kick in 6 games. Last week McD decides to punt on what would have been a 55 yard attempt, even though 55 yards is no issue for Bass. He's never had a 55 yard attempt not make it because it was short. So McD goes *****, it affects Bass's confidence, he then misses two FG's that game and one this game. The passivity rubs off. It's toxic for an environment that only thrives with confidence.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1

He doesn't like Daboll, his QB loves him. He took over for the 13 seconds debacle and cuts Leslie loose. Hes a defensive guy that turns over the offense to a rookie coordinator. No one successful does that, they turn the other side of the ball to an expert.  Whatever he did to Diggs was a debacle.

Time for him to take his own medicine 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It said:

McDermott is the type of coach that can take a bottom 5 roster to a wildcard but he’s also the kind of coach who will take a top 5 roster to the wildcard.

Marty Schottenheimer incarnate.

• Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This team needs to stop with the defensive minded approach when we have a QB with enough upside to be a top three quarterback.   How can we defensive minded if we do not have a defense that can carry a game?

Allen has been far from perfect this year, but I can think of at least three games off of the top of my head in his career(13 seconds, Hail Murray and today) where he did enough to bring the team back and our alleged bread and butter of the team defense costs us the game in an epic way. 

This is not working. I don't care if we shut out the Commanders and Texans once or twice a year and pad our stats in those games, this defense fails in big games each and every time.

I do not know if firing McDermott is the answer, only because we don't know if the next coach would be worse, but Buffalo needs to stop wasting our draft picks and cap space on building a "deep" defense of 22 average to slightly above average players while leaving the cupboard bare on offense and expect an Allen, Diggs, 9 JAG unit to keep scoring 30+ a game.   Stop building a team like we are playing with a game manager QB,   Give Allen some weapons and let the defense compliment that.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

McDumb***** has been outcoached in 4 out of 7 games this year and going back to the playoffs last year he's been outcoached in 6 out of his last 9 games. On what planet is that good? That doesnt even consider in all his blunders of the past, 13 secs, Jax, Hou etc etc. The guy needs to go, arent going to win with him so cut bait because I think this team has the horses to be a serious contender. The coaches are holding them back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McDermott is, like most coaches, a politician. He sounds great and acts the part…Until you get to the stuff that actually counts. He lacks a basic understanding of what actually matters in football games. It’d be embarrassing in most other professions.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

McDumb***** has been outcoached in 4 out of 7 games this year and going back to the playoffs last year he's been outcoached in 6 out of his last 9 games. On what planet is that good? That doesnt even consider in all his blunders of the past, 13 secs, Jax, Hou etc etc. The guy needs to go, arent going to win with him so cut bait because I think this team has the horses to be a serious contender. The coaches are holding them back.

I’ve been saying this for a while but the pegulas are in over their heads and feel comfortable enough with him and beane at the helm. It’s why they gave them an extension over the summer which was ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I’ve been saying this for a while but the pegulas are in over their heads and feel comfortable enough with him and beane at the helm. It’s why they gave them an extension over the summer which was ridiculous. 

I will always acknowledge and be forever grateful for how McDermott turned around the culture of the team from drought to playoff team. Unfortunately that can only take you so far.   McDermott is the Buck Showalter of the NFL.  Great at rebuilding a young team into a playoff contender, but unable to get them to that next level or adjust to keep them good. 

I hate to fire a coach because I remember what it was like to have a new regime every three years, but for the first time, I think that it is something that we need to evaluate doing.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dgrochester55 said:

This team needs to stop with the defensive minded approach when we have a QB with enough upside to be a top three quarterback.   How can we defensive minded if we do not have a defense that can carry a game?

Allen has been far from perfect this year, but I can think of at least three games off of the top of my head in his career(13 seconds, Hail Murray and today) where he did enough to bring the team back and our alleged bread and butter of the team defense costs us the game in an epic way. 

This is not working. I don't care if we shut out the Commanders and Texans once or twice a year and pad our stats in those games, this defense fails in big games each and every time.

I do not know if firing McDermott is the answer, only because we don't know if the next coach would be worse, but Buffalo needs to stop wasting our draft picks and cap space on building a "deep" defense of 22 average to slightly above average players while leaving the cupboard bare on offense and expect an Allen, Diggs, 9 JAG unit to keep scoring 30+ a game.   Stop building a team like we are playing with a game manager QB,   Give Allen some weapons and let the defense compliment that.

That's a very astute post.  We don't have one above average O lineman on the roster.  They were awful today for the most part in pass protection..  Our OT's are terrible relative to other teams w good QB's  Dawkins at best is average.  And Brown is bad most games.  Knox would not be a starter on almost every NFL team.  He is a back up.  

And the D line was lousy today also.  Settle Phillips and Ford should not be on an NFL roster at this point.  They were steamrolled in the middle today.  Guys like Phillips and Lawson are not the guys you want playing if you are thinking a deep playoff run.  Good guys.  Marginal NFL talent at this point in their careers.  

The talent level on the team is just not that great.  And losing Tre Milano D Jones and Oliver is brutal.  As they are 4 of the most talented players we have.  

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, NUT said:

I agree with McDermott being stupid. The thread gets my approval. The amount of bltizing is crazy. We went from a DC who was scared to ever blitz to a DC that blitzes all the time. Rediculous.

Blitzing all the time….and giving the receivers 10 yard cushions on those same plays.  Easy pitch and catch for the QB. Same thing happened in the Bengals playoff game and he still hasn’t learned

Edited by Jukester

39 minutes ago, Beast said:

But that's McD's general philosophy, and that's why we have the players we have, it's all designed around rushing the passer and generating pressure in the passing game.  

Hence our pass-D oriented alignments, often featuring 2 LBs, and the seeming lack of interest in a bona fide MLB.  Our defense is laden with players that excel in pass-D, to the extent that they excel in anything.  

Between Jax and now BB, this D has been exposed, and it's unwise to hold out hope that we have the talent to change it at this point.  McBeane made their decisions, now it's time to prove that they're sound.  So far it's not working out so well this season, unless we play sack-prone QBs and/or poor passers.  Generally speaking that is.  

Edited by PBF81

34 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It said:

Sadly those types of coaches hang around forever because they have a decent win/loss record but always come up short in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Beast said:

No argument from me. Been saying it for years. Fans really choose to ignore the flaws of McD because of the good will (drought end) he brought to the community.  The stupidity of these guys is mind numbing. I think McDermott would still make a very good DC but there's no salvaging Dorsey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.